MLP G5 Discussion and Speculation Thread

Brass Beau

Howdy from Shimmer Pope
@Latecomer  
I think the majority of the population of Equestria is earth ponies. Now, if memory serves, in Hurricane Fluttershy we learn that Cloudsdale is migratory. It seems possible that pegasi, being in control of the weather, would form small communities above most towns. Since we know Ponyville is close to Canterlot, which is predominantly unicorn, and it’s close to the center of Equestria, it seems likely that Ponyville is a hub town. Lacking major historical significance and few natural resources to export, the town is often skipped by tourists and venture capitalists. That’s my theory on why the town is so diverse but isn’t a major city.

@Ring Team  
I think I’d prefer a city of adventure than a small town as G5’s central setting. Less New York and more Ravnica, preferably.
GoodVibesGorgeous
Lunar Supporter - Helped forge New Lunar Republic's freedom in the face of the Solar Empire's oppressive tyrannical regime (April Fools 2023).
My Little Pony - 1992 Edition
Wallet After Summer Sale -

Grumpy and antisocial
G5 concept art showed Everfree Forest as a magic place (a background from Steven Universe was even used as a reference to how it should look like) and the production staff wanted Ponyville to be a colorful meadow (Cloudsdale still was supposed to be a city in the clouds). I sure hope they keep it in the final version!
Background Pony #6ABD
@GoodVibesGorgeous  
Related to that, I also really liked the concepts where the types of ponies are separated in different worlds but then the main characters bring them all together, I hope they kept that to some extent.
Ring Team
Silly Pony - Celebrated the 13th anniversary of MLP:FIM, and 40 years of MLP!
Lunar Supporter - Helped forge New Lunar Republic's freedom in the face of the Solar Empire's oppressive tyrannical regime (April Fools 2023).
Ten years of changes - Celebrated the 10th anniversary of MLP:FiM!
A Really Classy Artist - 250+ images under their artist tag
An Artist Who Rocks - 100+ images under their artist tag
Artist -

A couple of days ago I’ve watched for the first time A royal problem, from the season 7. I need to finish the seasons 7, 8 and 9, but I’m gonna say this right now: I hope G5 doesn’t and won’t have a modern equivalent of Starlight Glimmer.

We don’t need a unicorn that can do these things:

-Can take off other cutie marks (including alicorns such as Celestia and Luna, which was the reason why I wanted to write this)  
-Manipulates other ponies for her own benefit  
-Can make a time travel spell not only once, but many times  
-Can go so fast that we can see two Starlights, kinda invalidating Rainbow Dash’s unique skill to go fast  
-Can create dark magic everytime she gets angry

We don’t need a unicorn that relies too much on power to appeal power fantasy. If you really wanna see some action and some magic instead of character development, go watch an anime.

We don’t need a character that says many times that she was bad in the past, in case you forgot the first time.

We don’t need a character that says she likes not being judged after using her magic to manipulate other ponies.

We don’t need a character that’s designed to be a freaking timebomb (like we see in Every little thing she does, Bottled up and A royal problem).

And lastly, we don’t need a character that says she wants to be better expect when she doesn’t, like in Every little thing she does.

You can talk about redemption and empathy without magic, especially if your lazy way to do it is with a unicorn that’s more powerful than all alicorns. That’s not the only way.
Background Pony #6879
-Can take off other cutie marks (including alicorns such as Celestia and Luna, which was the reason why I wanted to write this)
-Can go so fast that we can see two Starlights, kinda invalidating Rainbow Dash’s unique skill to go fast

I mean, christ, why not just make her more physically strong than Applejack while you’re at it, writers…

Oh, lets not forget that she got away with fucking with the timeline to the point of breaking it…
DerpyFast
Solar Supporter - Fought against the New Lunar Republic rebellion on the side of the Solar Deity (April Fools 2023).
Non-Fungible Trixie -
Friendship, Art, and Magic (2018) - Celebrated Derpibooru's six year anniversary with friends.

We don’t need a unicorn that can do these things:

Fair point.

So, no Twilight and no Rarity. Also, why not?

So, no Twilight. Also, why not?

You’re really grasping at straws here.

First of all, the ability to instantly teleport between two points already basically invalidates the ability to go fast, and Twilight has had this ability since Season One.

Second, it’s a because of spells that she’s able to do this.

Third, you’re completely ignoring that the utility of the spells is being in two places at once, not just “going really fast”.

Lastly, it’s pretty disingenuous to reduce Rainbow Dash’s flight skills to “going fast”.  

Twilight can create dark magic without getting angry. Also, why not?

Edit:  
We don’t need a unicorn that relies too much on power to appeal power fantasy.

The fact that Starlight’s stories are almost exclusively cautionary tales about abusing power kind of completely undermines this point.

If you really wanna see some action and some magic instead of character development, go watch an anime.

These things aren’t mutually exclusive, and she gets character development.

We don’t need a character that says many times that she was bad in the past, in case you forgot the first time.

Why not? Considering how many things The Mane Six have faced zero consequences for, it’s a nice change of pace that Starlight’s past actions actually carry some weight.

We don’t need a character that says she likes not being judged after using her magic to manipulate other ponies.

Why not? Learning to accept criticism is an important lesson.

We don’t need a character that’s designed to be a freaking timebomb (like we see in Every little thing she does, Bottled up and A royal problem).

Why not?

And lastly, we don’t need a character that says she wants to be better expect when she doesn’t, like in Every little thing she does.

Um… If a character has flaws that never manifest, it’s basically the same as if they didn’t have the flaws. And without flaws to overcome, there’s no story. That’s how flaws and character growth works. It would be like reading a story about someone overcoming a gambling addiction and going

“This character wants to overcome their gambling addiction, except when they don’t.”

@Background Pony #6879  

It’s like you people have never watched Season One.

Starlight Glimmer: Getting people to miss the point and complain about things the show was already doing, since 2016.
Latecomer

@Ring Team  
We do need some way of doing those things if the plot requires it, be it a unicorn, a magic locket or a super-science gizmo.

And yes, her redemption aspects could have been done better - but a time bomb character has it’s uses too.
GoodVibesGorgeous

Grumpy and antisocial
Magic in G5 probably won’t be like G4, so I don’t know if it is possible to have an unicorn as powerful as Starlight (and Twilight). Concept arts mentioned that unicorn magic would be like what Cutie Marks were supposed to be: unique (of course, the animation team had to constantly repeat Cutie Marks in order to save money and time). That’s another concept that actually may be used!
Background Pony #CF50
@Ring Team  
@DerpyFast  
Maybe create separate thread for “anti-SG/pro-SG rants”? Connection to this topic is really shoe-horned and barely disguised for what it really is.
Latecomer

Hmm…anyone got any preference for era style/tech level? FIM was pretty solidly “old-timey”, so I’m thinking either modern or perhaps 80s/90s retro.

I’d also like to see a return to the Faustian idea of the characters and design style having equine elements. Perhaps even go a step further and design/write them as genuinely handless, without G4’s fudges.
Latecomer

@GoodVibesGorgeous  
Well, I guess that’s part of the question? What kind of place do you see them living in?

G1 was a fantasy world, yet the pony residences were pure playset. Tales was modern suburban, I think. G3 originated the idea of a place for each kind - earth ponies in the newly-intorduced Ponyville (which was both more modern and pinker than G4’s), pegasi on the tropical Butterfly Island and unicorns in a mountain castle. G4 recycled some of those settings in a more down-to-earth way while givng the scope of a big country and even lands beyond. So what of G5?
Brass Beau

Howdy from Shimmer Pope
@GoodVibesGorgeous  
Well, necessity is the mother of invention so I’d imagine that if the three pony races live separately that earth ponies would be the most technologically advanced.  
As for cutie marks, I’d like to actually see an explanation for what they are and why they exist.
Latecomer

@Brass Beau  
Hmm… one possible take for G5, in line with the growing idea of self-defining one’s identity, is that a pony chooses their mark. Perhaps even can change it, although it might take a big revalation.
Brass Beau

Howdy from Shimmer Pope
@Latecomer  
It would let Hasbro sell a base with interchangeable stickers but another route would be making it a birthmark and the revelation comes from what it means to the bearer. A kind of “not what you are that defines you” sort of thing. G4 cutie marks had an air of predestination about them. G5 could be along the lines of shaping one’s own destiny.
GoodVibesGorgeous

Grumpy and antisocial
@Latecomer  
@Brass Beau  
Well, the places mentioned in the leaks. An enchanted forest matches unicorns very well, just like a colorful meadow and Earth Ponies. I also think Earth Ponies would be more scientifically advanced, but in the Steampunk way! As for Cutie Marks… I have no idea, maybe some kind of cute-looking birthmark? Or a sign that a pony has magic? Maybe it would glow every time an unicorn casts an extremely powerful spell or when an Earth Pony connects themself to the nature or when a pegasus controls the weather.
Interested in advertising on Derpibooru? Click here for information!
Ponies Online! - April 13-14

Help fund the $15 daily operational cost of Derpibooru - support us financially!

Syntax quick reference: **bold** *italic* ||hide text|| `code` __underline__ ~~strike~~ ^sup^ %sub%

Detailed syntax guide