MLP G5 Discussion and Speculation Thread

Rabidcabbit
Preenhub - We all know what you were up to this evening~
My Little Pony - 1992 Edition
Wallet After Summer Sale -
Since the Beginning  -

Touch Fluffy Tail
@Latecomer

Speaking of the idea “era style” I think it would be neat if they still do with the idea of each race of pony living is separate worlds, The Earth Ponies could live in a more modern “normal” world, and the other “normal” animals like Zebra, donkey’s and Yaks, could exist.

The Unicorns could live in a more High Fantasy style world similar to what G4 had, with the more “magical” Beasts and creatures like Changelings and Kirin existing.

Then maybe the Pegasi could live in a Sky world of sorts, or heck maybe they live on Islands that float atop a literal sea made of clouds, things like Griffon and Hippogriffs could live on separate “islands”

It would be pretty cool I think if they exemplified the differences between each of the worlds, and maybe even hint at the idea that all three worlds used to be one at some point in the past.

To be fair, I’m pretty sure that’s much too entailed to be feasible, but that’s what crossed my mind when I thought about the ponies living in different “worlds”
Rabidcabbit
Preenhub - We all know what you were up to this evening~
Since the Beginning  -

Touch Fluffy Tail
@Latecomer

Fair enough, I suppose a show like that would have to have a much heavier focus on story, with arcs lasting three to four episodes, focusing on one specific world at a time, and that wouldn’t be too likely to happen.
Brass Beau

Howdy from Shimmer Pope
@Latecomer  
Exploring different worlds generally goes hand in hand with quest stories. Is the cast on a mission to return a baby dragon to the dragon lands? Did a human fall through a portal to this would of talking ponies? Are they meeting with heads of state to form diplomatic unions? Why are pegasi, unicorns and ponies traveling together? How did they come together? That’s the stuff I’m most curious about.
Brass Beau

Howdy from Shimmer Pope
@Latecomer  
It’s a tough call considering the generations before it and the stated desire to handle more mature stories and themes. Considering how popular The Mandalorian is right now, I think returning a freshly hatched dragon to the dragon lands before a war starts is a compelling narrative they could do.
Latecomer

@Brass Beau  
Perhaps - but that feels like the plot of a movie, not a whole series with plenty of diversions. Then again, G5 is supposed to start with a movie, though…

As for the “worlds travelling” thing, I wonder if they might use a combination of the Map missions and Doctor Who style - the cast is based out of a playset location which travels from world to world based on where they’re needed - or where they need to be.
Brass Beau

Howdy from Shimmer Pope
@Latecomer  
Whew! Got a headache from all the thoughts that just flooded through. So, the returning Spike idea is based of The Mandalorian (a series) which is based off of Lone Wolf and Cub (a movie).  
They could go the One Piece route for traveling adventure stories, stopping wherever they happen to run into. If they go a more Whovian route, they could use a magic hot air balloon. Or they could be summoned to the table and given missions like in Captain Planet. There’s a lot of options.
Latecomer

@Brass Beau  
I think a meandering journey means no big urgent objective (although I suppose Avatar made it work, sort of). And there’s also the question of travel by pony type - like, if you need to get him back urgent, why not just strap him to a pegasus?
Brass Beau

Howdy from Shimmer Pope
@Latecomer  
He starts shooting fire when separated from the pony that found him? The dragon lands are surrounded by a constant, violent storm? The lands are filled with monsters? A military regiment would be viewed as an act of war by the nations between the pony and dragon lands? I’m spitballing but I’m sure a work around is possible. As for the Avatar example, Book 3 had a time table but finding benders to teach Aang was a frequent goal on their journeys.
Latecomer

@Brass Beau  
Possibly. But I don’t know if such an overriding single quest suits MLP. I suppose it’s all in the presentation, though.

I wonder what aspects of past gens, if any, G4 overlooked that G5 could borrow and update?
Brass Beau

Howdy from Shimmer Pope
If you really wanna see some action and some magic instead of character development, go watch an anime.
What kind of anime? Even DBZ had character development.

@Mega PoNEO  
Like Jewelpet.
What’s a Jewelpet?

@Latecomer  
I don’t think the series as a whole would require an entire arc plot. Maybe just the first season. Once the world is established, the writers can go nuts.
Mega PoNEO
Solar Supporter - Fought against the New Lunar Republic rebellion on the side of the Solar Deity (April Fools 2023).
A Really Classy Artist - 250+ images under their artist tag
An Artist Who Rocks - 100+ images under their artist tag
Ten years of changes - Celebrated the 10th anniversary of MLP:FiM!
Artist -

@Latecomer  
Fan favorites Fizzy and Galaxy from G1 would consistently use their powers when appropriate. G5 should both update these two ponies (and fellow fan favorite Wind Whister) and explore every ability in how it can be used in both combat and non-combat with actually valid scenarios and make most users master their powers to new levels. Oh, and during Fizzy’s, Wind Whistler’s, and Galaxy’s time, neither Discord nor the Elements of Harmony were even in the concept stages, preventing them from breaking stories. Similarly, G5 needs to be more balanced in the same way by not including Discord, the Elements, or anything similar.
Latecomer

@Brass Beau  
Establishing a structure, but with intent to break free of it? Interesting…

One key, of course, will be format. We’ve had half-hour episodes, mixed shorts, direct-to-DVD…

@Mega PoNEO  
And how are the Rainbow of Light or the Utter Flutter different?
Brass Beau

Howdy from Shimmer Pope
@Latecomer  
I think it was Sanderson that said satisfaction from a conflict resolved with magic comes from the audience’s understanding of magic, or something to that effect. Best to just remove the possibility of magic solving any major conflicts. I think having a unicorn capable of only one spell and finding creative uses for it is a good idea, but has to be weighed carefully. Any use discovered by a character is one a writer has to account for in future plots.
Mega PoNEO
Solar Supporter - Fought against the New Lunar Republic rebellion on the side of the Solar Deity (April Fools 2023).
A Really Classy Artist - 250+ images under their artist tag
An Artist Who Rocks - 100+ images under their artist tag
Ten years of changes - Celebrated the 10th anniversary of MLP:FiM!
Artist -

@Latecomer  
Also like Discord, Dian from Jewelpet is an early Big Bad who’s later on the heroes’ side, but unlike Discord, Dian doesn’t become a liability and is instead very helpful (Dian even defeats the final boss of Season 3).
Brass Beau

Howdy from Shimmer Pope
@Latecomer  
It’s the old Dungeon Master’s Dilemma: how do you get the players to go through the dungeon instead of bypassing it? If we stick to a travel plot, the environment itself would be what you want to solve with magic. Have the B-plot focus on internal or interpersonal conflict and the show almost writes itself. An off the cuff example would be traversing a cave. Two characters get separated from the group because of their bickering and by working together they rejoin the group and everyone gets out of the cave.

@Mega PoNEO  
I gotta look into this.
Background Pony #CF50
@Littlecabbit  
If you’re speaking of 2017 leaks, pretty sure at that time they were gonna move away from idea of “normal” Earth Ponies, and making them more magical.
GoodVibesGorgeous
Lunar Supporter - Helped forge New Lunar Republic's freedom in the face of the Solar Empire's oppressive tyrannical regime (April Fools 2023).

Grumpy and antisocial
@Background Pony #CF50  
Yep. I just hope the production staff doesn’t make them hornless unicorns. Maybe they should be a hornless version of Potion Nova (who’s absolutely nothing like regular unicorns, even if Pony Life is a lighter and wackier production), connected to nature and potions and stuff like that.
Interested in advertising on Derpibooru? Click here for information!
Champions of Equestria

Help fund the $15 daily operational cost of Derpibooru - support us financially!

Syntax quick reference: **bold** *italic* ||hide text|| `code` __underline__ ~~strike~~ ^sup^ %sub%

Detailed syntax guide