MLP G5 Discussion and Speculation Thread

TheFinite
Lunar Supporter - Helped forge New Lunar Republic's freedom in the face of the Solar Empire's oppressive tyrannical regime (April Fools 2023).
Wallet After Summer Sale -

Shiny Bug
Oh yeah. Got to see the movie. Quite enjoyed it.

I liked the 2017 movie more, but that’s more due to a few personal tastes than movie quality. I’d have to watch this one a few times first before my thoughts fully settle.
TOMNICE
Magnificent Metadata Maniac - #1 Assistant
Magical Inkwell - Wrote MLP fanfiction consisting of at least around 1.5k words, and has a verified link to the platform of their choice
Artist -

Hungarian G1 pony fan
I am glad they did not go with the “subvert expectations” crap that we have been seeing nowdays.
TheFinite
Lunar Supporter - Helped forge New Lunar Republic's freedom in the face of the Solar Empire's oppressive tyrannical regime (April Fools 2023).

Shiny Bug
@SparkleDash  
I don’t know that it would count as a valid expectation since it never promised anything of that sort.

If they do bring Twilight back, it is most likely going to be part of a season finale. It makes more sense to develop the world they have now then to immediately bring back characters to undo everything.
DerpyFast
Pixel Perfection - Hot Pockets Spotted
Solar Supporter - Fought against the New Lunar Republic rebellion on the side of the Solar Deity (April Fools 2023).
Non-Fungible Trixie -
My Little Pony - 1992 Edition
Friendship, Art, and Magic (2018) - Celebrated Derpibooru's six year anniversary with friends.

@TOMNICE  
There’s a right way and a wrong way to “subvert expectations”. The right way is:

“You think you’ve got it all figured out? Watch this!”

The wrong way is:

“You think you’ve got it all figured out? Fuck you!”
Background Pony #121A
@silbasa
It’s… An unknown fact now.
@Background Pony #121A
Wow, good analysis! Something tells me that, in the time between G4 and G5, many villains must have emerged in Equestria and done enough damage to create new cities (and maybe even new cultures).

We do not know.

Zephyr Heights did not exist when the show ended, and this town appeared to be over two hundred years old or more, possibly when Cloudsdale merged with Canterlot which in the end may have covered the entire eastern part of the valley with Ponyville as a suburb. Maretime Bay probably existed, but probably only about a much smaller place not far from Baltimare - and Bridlewood was probably a resort for unicorn aristocrats from Canterlot who could seek a comfortable and sheltered place away from the busy city. There were airship connections between these places, certainly because there are no trains going there.

Maretown in Maretime Bay is more like a resort than a regular city, just like Bridlewood. It is possible that most of the residents of the two towns outside of Zephyr Heights were refugees from Canterlot, for Argyle for some inexplicable reason managed to obtain many objects, including a feather from Twilight Sparkle.

If Twilight Sparkle reigned until the magic disappeared - the glass window suggests she must have been alive when Zephyr Heights was raised, as her cutie mark is used as a symbol of a national transport system - I strongly doubt if villains could change Equestria very strongly . Instead, Equestria may have been changed to the unrecognizable by ponies and non-ponies, with many new towns and possibly ruins (ponies do not seem to be as territorially connected as us humans) due to voluntary migration.

“PN” and the twelve stars as well as several maps and the fact that Izzy knew exactly where she was going after finding a flight letter from Sunny, then indicates that the ponies were not so long separated from each other. Some states may be far more liberal than Maretime Bay. It is still clear that the fear between pony tribes seems unusually strong rather than mythical, especially because constant contact is necessary. Here, total isolation. Argyle made it possible for the earth ponies to know more, while the pegasi and unicorns seemed to be more ignorant.

The movie is over; but the G4 will continue instead of being terminated as expected, I was of the belief that there will be a new beginning where the legacy of the G4 will be replaced by the innovative G5. Instead, we have received a number of riddles, and clues that show that one is not done with G4, this will continue in the G5. Twilight and the Mane 6 may continue to appear in the future G5, and then hope that it will happen very few times, as with Sunny’s transformation into the alicornhood.

After all, Twilight must be able to see her successor in the end. For Sunny has shown that she has leadership qualities, even though she has a lot to investigate after her father. And she may discover that it was possibly a hostile attack by possibly the most dangerous enemy the Ponykind had ever encountered. Then her status as an alicorn is necessary.
Ebalosus
Silver Bit -
Sapphire -
Happy Derpy! -
Bronze Supporter -
The End wasn't The End - Found a new home after the great exodus of 2012

Build commie blocks!
@JP  
All right. Now that there are people here who have seen the movie, tell me one thing.
How long is the timeskip? 1000 years? 2000 years? More?
This is the most important thing I want to know. Everything else is secondary.
Was thinking about this myself last night. I like to presume that within g4, the totality of the history of the setting is only 1,200 to 1,400 years (that’s written history, not when the world formed, obviously), and as such g5 is probably between 1,000 and 1,500 years in the future from g4, given how they bandy about the word “ancient” quite a lot. I say that because the frescoes, murals, and tapestries from around g4’s setting are still in relatively good condition.

@Smitty1991

…the fuck are you talking about!? What woke shit? If there was any wokeness in the movie, it sure-as-shit must’ve been super-subtle, because I didn’t pick up on any of it.

Also, g5 actually avoids the character structure problem that g4 suffered from and that can be directly laid at Faust’s feet, so you’re only Faust does it right is as laughable now as it was back in 2014 when Rainbow Rocks came out.

@Roseluck

I actually really like what they did with Sunny, and how she’s an everyday nobody. Looking back at her g4 counterpart, Twilight Sparkle, if you really think about how the character is constructed you start wondering how relatable she really is: from a relatively well-to-do family in the country’s capital, brother who’s a major royal guard there, babysat by a princess, went to an exclusive school, tutored by the god-emperor, and later ascended to god-emperor herself. Her story in g4 is basically Sheltered private school kid gets sent to the what-whats to solve all their problems, and is rewarded greatly for it. Yay relatable protagonist…?

Sunny is much more grounded in both the setting and to us as the fish-out-of-water. Sure, she’s well-read, but still asks a lot of the same questions that the audience would in her situation. That, and being a ‘boring old earth pony’ definitely helps.
AaronMk
Flower Trio - Helped others get their OC into the 2023 Derpibooru Collab.
Crystal Roseluck - Had their OC in the 2023 Derpibooru Collab.
Tree of Harmony - Drew someone's OC for the 2022 Community Collab
Elements of Harmony - Had an OC in the 2022 Community Collab
Non-Fungible Trixie -
Verified Pegasus - Show us your gorgeous wings!
Preenhub - We all know what you were up to this evening~
Philomena - For helping others attend the 2021 community collab
Twinkling Balloon - Took part in the 2021 community collab.

Sky funeral
I’mma be real with ya chiefs, I think the movie could have ended better if Sunny didn’t become an alicorn at the end.
SparkleDash

Professional Shipper
…the fuck are you talking about!? What woke shit? If there was any wokeness in the movie, it sure-as-shit must’ve been super-subtle, because I didn’t pick up on any of it.

I think he means the celebrity voice actors instead of getting real voice actors. Those aren’t even the people that are going to be doing the series!!! Why do that, Hasbro?!?!!?!!?!

Also, g5 actually avoids the character structure problem that g4 suffered from and that can be directly laid at Faust’s feet, so you’re only Faust does it right is as laughable now as it was back in 2014 when Rainbow Rocks came out.

Bro, what are you talking about? DC Super Hero Girls is amazingly perfect with no flaws at all that I can see!
AaronMk
Flower Trio - Helped others get their OC into the 2023 Derpibooru Collab.
Crystal Roseluck - Had their OC in the 2023 Derpibooru Collab.
Tree of Harmony - Drew someone's OC for the 2022 Community Collab
Elements of Harmony - Had an OC in the 2022 Community Collab
Non-Fungible Trixie -
Philomena - For helping others attend the 2021 community collab
Twinkling Balloon - Took part in the 2021 community collab.

Sky funeral
@AaronMk
It blows the character’s load a bit fast, so to speak.
I mean, what’s an activist after you give her everything she wants?

I can get being all, “OK so we had a grand adventure and that means the hero changes in a way that she can never go back” for pulp shit. But I think you could have done something more that leaves more options than, “what do with super hero now”.

I feel like it’s a cliche to lean on the demand for adventure and world exploration that was all the talk in what I feel was the last half of G4, but it would have felt better to have ended the movie on that. After it’s all said and done Sunny has a case of the wander lust and wants to see more of the world. In the theme of the whole world building adventure model then we could get the chance to watch stories of how Equestria “fell” as it were and built and worked on Sunny over a longer period until she matures as a character to accept being an alicorn.

Of course this also means that they maybe keep a consistent writing staff instead of doing a revolving door. But the other option in this is that while no one ever has an ascendant moment it does become like a Cowboy Bepop, a lot of loosely or independent mini story archs dotted over the world.
Johnny B. Mediocre
Solar Supporter - Fought against the New Lunar Republic rebellion on the side of the Solar Deity (April Fools 2023).
Non-Fungible Trixie -
Fine Arts - Two hundred uploads with a score of over a hundred (Safe/Suggestive)
Ten years of changes - Celebrated the 10th anniversary of MLP:FiM!
My Little Pony - 1992 Edition
Not a Llama - Happy April Fools Day!

psst it's me I'm a horse
@SparkleDash  
do you know how time works

@SparkleDash  
I think he means the celebrity voice actors instead of getting real voice actors.

A) I don’t think that’s what woke means - hell I’m pretty sure no one really knows what “woke” means  
B) Kimiko Glenn, James Marsden and Michael McKean have loads of voice acting experience, plus it’s not like they, I dunno… casted Chris Pratt as Mario or something (also is Phil fucking LaMarr a joke to you or something)

@SparkleDash  
uh-huh keep telling yourself that buddy

anyway how about that Izzy huh
DaddyMakesMeEUHH

(ヽ^ゝ^)ちわー!
@AaronMk  
I agree.  
On a personal note, this movie is making me feel…empty..? Like there’s something missing from it. It’s good, it made me laugh, but it was too fast pace for me.There was a lot of things that were up in the air, which makes since because of the limited time… This series coming up has a lot of explaining to do is basically what I’m getting trying to get at.
Harmony Gladebloom
Non-Fungible Trixie -
Economist -
Equality - In our state, we do not stand out.

Hooves to Hearts! /<3)
I liked the movie, and the songs were pretty great. As usual I poured all of my heart into every bit of fluffy bonding and friendship between the mane cast.  
I love all the Mane Five although I don’t feel like Hitch or Pipp got enough development screentime.  
Hitch only had his inner conflict actually displayed in the foalhood flashback at the start, and his character arc was rushed from “galloping hoofcuffs” to “cop buddy” over three scenes with hardly any transition.  
I’m especially glad that there wasn’t any “third-act breakup” in the film. Instead, the spark of hope flickers for a moment and Sunny returns home, but even as she does the friends she’s made work to support her and each other, and a scene later they follow her despite everything as the bonds of friendship they’ve forged together remain unbroken. Together with love and friendship being the final required piece of the crystal puzzle, it’s easily my favorite thing the film does with its formula.
Interested in advertising on Derpibooru? Click here for information!
KilianKuro Commissions!

Help fund the $15 daily operational cost of Derpibooru - support us financially!

Syntax quick reference: **bold** *italic* ||hide text|| `code` __underline__ ~~strike~~ ^sup^ %sub%

Detailed syntax guide