MLP G5 Discussion and Speculation Thread

CORDZ2000
Solar Hero - Went above and beyond for the Solar Deity, drawing from the power of the sun itself to bring balance to the fight against the Lunar Insurrection (April Fools 2023).

Draconequues Lover zcord
@GoodVibesGorgeous  
Alphabittle huh now thats a interesting one, there’s definitely more to him, hes one of those dad characters i can see that have some super special past surrounding relating to the plot. Like hes actually a badass warrior scientist who fought against some enemy the group has to go up against or something…extreme I know but u get the point. edit: i just confused alphabittle with sunny’s dad
CORDZ2000
Solar Hero - Went above and beyond for the Solar Deity, drawing from the power of the sun itself to bring balance to the fight against the Lunar Insurrection (April Fools 2023).

Draconequues Lover zcord
@DaddyMakesMeEUHH  
i agree they were all good entertaining characters, i would say some needed more focus but will likely get it whenever the series comes out.

@Background Pony #9485  
He wasn’t a disrespected male main character like sadly my boy early seasons spike was, i mean as in treated like a chew toy. I was surprised with how good hitch was like he was capable, a bit egotistical but not too much and justified in it and yet genuinely good and heroic. Had some decent character development and interactions.
Background Pony #9485
@CORDZ2000  
I think, out of all of them, he took the brunt of “soft” jokes, like being caught in the spotlight and failing to make a fire. Though you’re right, and it’s not like Spike in the early seasons.
Dr_Osaka
Lunar Supporter - Helped forge New Lunar Republic's freedom in the face of the Solar Empire's oppressive tyrannical regime (April Fools 2023).
The End wasn't The End - Found a new home after the great exodus of 2012

Sata Andagi!
Recently watched the new movie and overall I think it’s good, I don’t like it more the the 2017 movie but it was a cute movie with fun moments. The story is kinda similar to Raya and the Last Dragon which I don’t think is a bad thing at all, the characters are all good my favorite pretty much being Izzy since she is this movie’s Pinkie Pie, the animation I feel is a bit stilted at times but it’s very detailed and expressive to look at, the songs are fun to listen to, and while it doesn’t have the world building I love so much about G4 I appreciate it still tying back to FiM (Even if it does raise a lot of questions about what happened over that period of time).

Also Sunny becoming an Alicorn at the end was pretty great.
Roseluck
Roseluck - For supporting the site

@Phoenixflambe  
Of people being friends with each other?

Linking friendship to values, virtues, morality and all that was one of the biggest issues of G4 from where I’m standing. Especially that Twilight usually was the one who decided and dictated what its definition should be for everyone else.

Friendship isn’t the same for everyone. Sometimes it’s just liking each other for no other reason that you just click. Sometimes it’s about trusting each other. Sometimes it’s standing for and against the same things. Sometimes it’s having the same hobbies. Etc.

And it’s not linked to good and evil either, no matter what the show said. It was actually great to see G4 finally depict villains being friends rather than equating being evil with having no friends, even if we had to wait until the last season. It was like the show had finally grown up.

One of the things I loved about the ‘late game’ of The Order of the Stick was that some truly despicable people were great friends to each other. And of course, there’s the universes of Warhammer Fantasy Battle and Warhammer 40,000, which are (were) pretty good at showing horrible people being respectful and friendly to each other (when they were on the same murderous side). Or really, just having virtues and qualities despite their vices and flaws. Like G4 finally grew up, like I said.

Hm. Just remembered the first Digimon show too. The kids there were also chosen ones… Digichosen avatars of this or that virtue. But if memory serves, those were unrelated to their friendship. Other than they needed to be friends for the virtues to matter (what with risking to die if they didn’t work out their team and personal issues).

G5 will be a better story than Friendship is Magic if it actually shows there’re more than just one take on how to be (good) friends. If it doesn’t treat friendship like, well, literal magic gifted by the heavens themselves.

So, maybe the French dub translated things wrong. Wouldn’t be the first time. But one specific line from Queen Haven really intrigued me. Caught me off guard even, maybe.

Don’t remember word for word and it’s translated back into English anyway, but something along the line of ”(…) we’ll be able to explain ourselves and they’ll love us again.“

Yeah. She didn’t get much love from anyone as a kid, did she? Including her parents…

Also I just love how she’s the one character out of all the ponies who kept traveling about who actually looks like she’s traipsed through the wilderness for days. Might have been more related to being a mother who just lost both her daughters overnight to ‘the enemy’ than actually braving the wilds though.

So to answer CORDZ2000’s question, I <3 Haven.
TheAmazingPeanuts

I just watch the movie, it’s good but not great. The mane five are interesting characters and not complete copies of the mane six. However, there are some issues with the pacing, especially at the ending but I enjoy it for the most part. I give it a 7.5/10.
Background Pony #121A
The movie is over. It has gone better than desired, but many people undoubtedly feel that the finale was a little too short, first and foremost because it seems a little pointless to make Sunny an alicorn.

But it was after she had united the three leaders of the ponies to come together in friendship after all that had happened; she had become a leader - a representative. And I think the crystals sense she is the element of Hope, and thus the spell of Twilight was activated. But many had hoped for more. I think Sunny may have only gotten 10% of the alicornhood, and that she had just started the road to becoming a permanent alicorn.

The first adventure is over, but for the Mane 5 it has only started because we have learned from the movie that Equestria is much larger, and consists of 12 states - we do not know the name of the unicorn state around Bridlewood which seems to be southeast for Ponyville, but it’s easier with the last two, the pegasi empire around Zephyr Heights and maybe “Maretonia” around the Maretime Bay. Most importantly, the Valley with the Everfree Forest, Ponyville and Canterlot seemed inaccessible even to the pegasi, and may be the first destination for the Mane 5 in the TV series.

Sunny and her friends will travel around Equestria to the other states, and perhaps to the rest of the world who remembered what Twilight Sparkle had done for them with her “Friendship Empire”.

It is very promising. But on the other hand; Sunny may have become an alicorn because it is necessary, for something very scary lurks in the background.
GenericArchangel
Alicorn Squadron - For supporting the site
Solar Supporter - Fought against the New Lunar Republic rebellion on the side of the Solar Deity (April Fools 2023).
Princess of Love - Extra special version for those who participated in the Canterlot Wedding 10th anniversary event by contributing art.
Artist -
Elements of Harmony - Had an OC in the 2022 Community Collab
Non-Fungible Trixie -
Preenhub - We all know what you were up to this evening~
Twinkling Balloon - Took part in the 2021 community collab.
Bronze Supporter - Bronze Supporter
My Little Pony - 1992 Edition

Free the Tantabus
I have a conspiracy theory/crazy headcanon.

1. They use “moons” as a measurement of time, presumably equal to years in context. But a lunar cycle is about a month!

2. They walk everywhere, despite Equestria being the size of a continent.

3. One of the background pegasi is damn-near identical to Lightning Dust.

Conclusion: G5 occurs shortly after G4, this is just a very isolated and very crazy part of the country Twilight doesn’t touch.

Unrelated: how much do we need to pay Hasbro to get wooden figurines of the Mane 6? I NEEEEEEEEEEEED them!
Background Pony #121A
Here is a challenge; Find out the names of the twelve equestrian states based on the G4 lore. I think Maretime Bay is part of Maretonia around the Horseshoe Bay. We have a couple of other names, Saddle Arabia that we do not know the location of, and Mustangia which may be “the Wild West of Equestria” with Dodge Junction. Maybe Prance exists as a state on the east coast of Equestria?

The license plate (ponies have motor vehicles, which means they can have cars and trucks for intercity traffic) on the monster Sprout had, shows that those who want to work on the G5 will have a more tangible shape on Equestria with borders, localities, regions and topography in greater detail than before - in a couple of years we may have a new map of Equestria - more like a map of our own world. Even if there’s nothing new outside of Zephyr Heights, it’s a big job.

These can be very old divisions dating back to the time before Discord which continued to exist at the beginning of the G5 although we have seen that many localities were abandoned or relocated, Rockhoof lost his home to a volcano. Culturally defined boundaries are something that do not change so easily, in Scandinavia there are a number of invisible boundaries within people.

Equestria is not the US, it is more like “the old world” in Europe.
GenericArchangel
Solar Supporter - Fought against the New Lunar Republic rebellion on the side of the Solar Deity (April Fools 2023).
Princess of Love - Extra special version for those who participated in the Canterlot Wedding 10th anniversary event by contributing art.
Artist -
Non-Fungible Trixie -

Free the Tantabus
Wait, there’s more crazy inconsistencies! G4 is 100% canon to G5, as it was depicted in FiM. The thing is, in FiM the sun and moon can’t move on their own. It takes several unicorns (or one alicorn) to do that, and in a world without magic that’s impossible! Unless somewhere there was such an alicorn, or alicorns. Perhaps Twilight gave up on ruling her kingdom, but still looked after her subjects? Or maybe, after Twilight’s clearly catastrophically bad reign, Luna and Celestia took up their old mantles to do it themselves.

And speaking of the Sisters! How does a society forget ONE THOUSAND YEARS of peace and prosperity? Hitch tells Sunny that the stories of pony unity are stories for foals, despite Celestia reigning over the height of ponies as a species and maintaining the Pax Equestriana for a millennium. Surely her reign would be like the Roman Empire is to us, a legendary period of history that in the common eye transcends fact and becomes legend. Where’s my Sun Cult trying to bring her back? Where’s my edgy highschooler ironically saying he wants the diarchy back? How has the truly monumental accomplishment of the Sisters’ rule become entirely forgotten?
Background Pony #121A
|| I have a conspiracy theory/crazy headcanon.
  1. They use “moons” as a measurement of time, presumably equal to years in context. But a lunar cycle is about a month!
  2. They walk everywhere, despite Equestria being the size of a continent.
  3. One of the background pegasi is damn-near identical to Lightning Dust.
Conclusion: G5 occurs shortly after G4, this is just a very isolated and very crazy part of the country Twilight doesn’t touch.
Unrelated: how much do we need to pay Hasbro to get wooden figurines of the Mane 6? I NEEEEEEEEEEEED them! ||

It is very difficult to use the moon as a measurement of time in a world where the sun and moon orbit Equus, as this is not comparable to our own dynamic world where lunar cycles are much shorter. We do not know how the ponies could calculate a time concept for observations of the moon, but it is possible that the moon may have an erratic path from being shortest to longest in certain cycles. It is closer to Equus than the sun, and can be affected by the two celestial bodies, thus could be whimsical as Princess Luna.

The movie can give us an important clue about how to calculate a moon, since Phyllis had her company, Canterlogic (interesting choice of words for the company name) in “twenty moons”, we do not know exactly when she started Canterlogic. Was it after she picked up her son from Argyle`s home or before? If she started her company right after this, we could probably have half a year to three quarters of a year per moon. Sunny was over 20 years old, so we have 10 to 12 years on it, which can be 20 moons. If the magic disappeared when Argyle was young and could not remember, it could be fifty to sixty moons. Everything points to collective memory loss so that no one knows when the magic disappeared.

We have the same problem with the 2017 movie, if they only added an extra or two days between Maretime bay and Zephyr Heights. It takes a day and a night back and forth.
GenericArchangel
Artist -
Non-Fungible Trixie -

Free the Tantabus
@Background Pony #121A  
A day and a night by train, as established in G4 (if we take Zephyr Heights as being Canterlot, which was about a day or two away by train from most other places). The G4 movie was terrible at scale, but at least we had a scale for how bad it was. Canterlot/Zephyr Heights is waaaaaaay inland, there’s no way it’s less than a week at least by foot from the nearest ocean.
Background Pony #121A
Wait, there’s more crazy inconsistencies! G4 is 100% canon to G5, as it was depicted in FiM. The thing is, in FiM the sun and moon can’t move on their own. It takes several unicorns (or one alicorn) to do that, and in a world without magic that’s impossible! Unless somewhere there was such an alicorn, or alicorns. Perhaps Twilight gave up on ruling her kingdom, but still looked after her subjects? Or maybe, after Twilight’s clearly catastrophically bad reign, Luna and Celestia took up their old mantles to do it themselves.
And speaking of the Sisters! How does a society forget ONE THOUSAND YEARS of peace and prosperity? Hitch tells Sunny that the stories of pony unity are stories for foals, despite Celestia reigning over the height of ponies as a species and maintaining the Pax Equestriana for a millennium. Surely her reign would be like the Roman Empire is to us, a legendary period of history that in the common eye transcends fact and becomes legend. Where’s my Sun Cult trying to bring her back? Where’s my edgy highschooler ironically saying he wants the diarchy back? How has the truly monumental accomplishment of the Sisters’ rule become entirely forgotten?

The ponies simply did not remember. Zippy pointed this out when she showed Sunny and Izzy the station hall in Zephyr Heights that changed everything. Only Sunny seemed to have a clue about the cutie mark of Twilight Sparkle, but it seems that her knowledge of history was incomplete at best, and besides, it seems that Argyle had hidden a lot from his daughter.

Everything points to a hostile attack with memory erase spell. So Sunny and her friends have to start over, maybe they will get their history back when they establish contact with the rest of the world, as it seems that the spell had deleted preserved history information (we know this is possible according to the IDW comics), so that Argyle had to spend a long time putting the puzzles together. Which Phyllis took advantage of to make a fortune giving the ponies a reason to be afraid. They had completely forgotten; and when Alphabittle, Queen Haven and Phyllis realized that everyone had lost magic, it was obvious that they had only vague memories of the past.

Who could have been responsible for this memory loss?
Background Pony #121A
@Background Pony #121A
A day and a night by train, as established in G4 (if we take Zephyr Heights as being Canterlot, which was about a day or two away by train from most other places). The G4 movie was terrible at scale, but at least we had a scale for how bad it was. Canterlot/Zephyr Heights is waaaaaaay inland, there’s no way it’s less than a week at least by foot from the nearest ocean.

It’s the writers`s fault. Of course, ponies can go very far in contrast to the humans, but there are limits to them, Sunny and Izzy should have spent two extra days to get to Zephyr Heights at least. A horse that gallops, has an average speed of 30 km / h, the fastest can reach 65 km / h. The internal magic of the ponies has not disappeared, so it is possible that ponies can travel great distances. Much of their physique is more geared to endurance than to physical exertion, as a kind of cross between the human and the horse.
GenericArchangel
Artist -
Non-Fungible Trixie -

Free the Tantabus
@Background Pony #121A  
I’ve also realized it’s possible the reign of Celestia simply became myth. Imagine living even 100 years after she abdicated, and someone’s trying to tell you an immortal alicorn goddess of the sun ruled over all the ponies in the world without any conflicts for 1,000 years. It sounds like bullshit, and was probably treated as such- it’s possible even Argyle didn’t fully believe the history of the Sisters like he did that of Twilight.
Background Pony #9485
When Sunny was clearing the table, there was a drawing of Ancient Equestria’s flag with a white and blue alicorn, and the bedtime story did say a princess sent Twilight to learn about friendship. So Celestia and Luna might be a part of the Guardians of Harmony’s myth.
Interested in advertising on Derpibooru? Click here for information!
Champions of Equestria

Help fund the $15 daily operational cost of Derpibooru - support us financially!

Syntax quick reference: **bold** *italic* ||hide text|| `code` __underline__ ~~strike~~ ^sup^ %sub%

Detailed syntax guide