MLP G5 Discussion and Speculation Thread

Background Pony #CB27
@DoctorWTF  
I did watch that episode, but it was long ago so I don’t remember that sort of detail, sorry.

@Dustcan  
Twilight + Neigh  
Neigh  
Twighlight

Neigh, horse noises  
Cannot unsee, and lol
Pinto Bean
Lunar Supporter - Helped forge New Lunar Republic's freedom in the face of the Solar Empire's oppressive tyrannical regime (April Fools 2023).
Non-Fungible Trixie -
Not a Llama - Happy April Fools Day!

refried sans lard
I think the only major criticism I have with the film is that there’s a conflict, but they don’t go in full detail why that conflict exists. We know there’s hostility between the ponies, but we don’t know how the hostility came to be.

That’s a good point. Yeah this movie left us with lots of questions still to be answered.
AaronMk
Lunar Supporter - Helped forge New Lunar Republic's freedom in the face of the Solar Empire's oppressive tyrannical regime (April Fools 2023).
Flower Trio - Helped others get their OC into the 2023 Derpibooru Collab.
Crystal Roseluck - Had their OC in the 2023 Derpibooru Collab.
Tree of Harmony - Drew someone's OC for the 2022 Community Collab
Elements of Harmony - Had an OC in the 2022 Community Collab
Non-Fungible Trixie -
Verified Pegasus - Show us your gorgeous wings!
Preenhub - We all know what you were up to this evening~
Philomena - For helping others attend the 2021 community collab
Twinkling Balloon - Took part in the 2021 community collab.

Sky funeral
Twilight decided to experiment with Burgundianism. This lead to:

Big Macintosh “Apple Incident”  
and  
Breaking the backs of unicorn labor unions after having racially segregating the unions “for effiency” (but let’s be real, none of the Mane 6 had qualms about scabbing and union busting as shown in the last season, so it’s perfectly in character for any of them to fuck with them)
Background Pony #121A
I think the only major criticism I have with the film is that there’s a conflict, but they don’t go in full detail why that conflict exists. We know there’s hostility between the ponies, but we don’t know how the hostility came to be.

This conflict did not exist. Looking at Alphabittle and Haven, then Phyllis when they realized that the magic had disappeared for everyone. They thought they knew about their opponents - only to find that they knew nothing. Their prejudices were based on lies and falsehoods, suggesting that the “conflict” was a fantasy created by the loss of magic and possibly memory erasure spells.

The Ponykind lived in a lie. As soon as the ponies got their eyes open for this, there was no conflict, the wounds could be healed in the ruins of the lighthouse where Sunny united the leaders of the three factions. But the lie had done so much damage, that Sunny has only begun work as a unifier.
Cosmas-the-Explorer
Solar Supporter - Fought against the New Lunar Republic rebellion on the side of the Solar Deity (April Fools 2023).
Non-Fungible Trixie -
Notoriously Divine Tagger - Consistently uploads images above and beyond the minimum tag requirements. And/or additionally, bringing over the original description from the source if the image has one. Does NOT apply to the uploader adding several to a dozen tags after originally uploading with minimum to bare tagging.

Explorer in Training
Finally I got to watch the movie! I was so busy. Hoof!

So the movie… it wasn’t what I expected.😐

I was expecting some epic sprawling adventure but it seems like the movie did a G4 season 1 again and resolved everything.

I think it’s a good movie like a 7/10. But I was so expecting this to be the like a 9/10.

I have things I loved about the movie like the Everything before Izzy and Sunny went to Zephyr Heights. I loved that letter scene. I loved Hitch and Sunny’s interactions.

And of course other parts of the mid and later movie too.

But I feel like everything was too rushed. There are some problems like Hitch just trusted the other races so willy nilly. It could have been great character development. And Pipp was even worse, in that she started out a jerk and then she just became nicer so quickly.

And Sprout is kind of a lame villian. His mother was a way better villian.

The part I should have seen coming was that all 3 races got together by the end. It doesn’t take Seasons to do it. It doesn’t take tough heartbreaking journey for our heroes. It just happened!

Ugh!!!

This is kind of a rant and it’s not that organized and it was a short time ago that I watched the movie.

When I first heard about G5 being about the races being seperate and that an activist would have unite them all. I was ecstatic! I thought this would be the chance for MLP to be like G4 but darker, more dramatic, more heartwarming, more mature. But it turns it was only partially some of those things…

Sorry guys. I want to see what G5 does still. I guess I should have known it would not be the greatest animated movie of all time. But I wish they did more…

But I hope you guys loved the movie! After all I loved many parts of it. But all the crazy posts I made were like what earth ponies thought of pony unity, a Fairy tale.  
😔

I feel like I’m Hi Top with Spiderman Far From Home now
Cosmas-the-Explorer
Solar Supporter - Fought against the New Lunar Republic rebellion on the side of the Solar Deity (April Fools 2023).
Non-Fungible Trixie -
Notoriously Divine Tagger - Consistently uploads images above and beyond the minimum tag requirements. And/or additionally, bringing over the original description from the source if the image has one. Does NOT apply to the uploader adding several to a dozen tags after originally uploading with minimum to bare tagging.

Explorer in Training
Sorry for my overdramatic nature. I went too far. I’m not sad over it or anything. I’m curious of what they’ll do next though. What will happen now?

Maybe I’ll make better calmer posts talking about certain points I like and disliked about the movie.
Roseluck
Roseluck - For supporting the site

@Background Pony #121A  
That’s true. Man, it’s so appropriate that I uploaded propaganda parody for Fallout Equestria’s Grand Pegasus Enclave the same day the movie came out because I’m such a preening fool haha.

@Cosmas-the-Explorer  
I’m curious of what they’ll do next though. What will happen now?

Well, to channel the scene that made me crack up twice in a very short row…

Sunny whirled around when the elevator’s doors slid open with a hiss. Heavy, labored breathing came from the looming shadow in the cab.

The figure took a slow step forward into the light… and Haven finished the last of her Pipp-approved smoothie. Then she gave Sunny a long look and spoke up.

Sunny, I am your mother!

Didn’t actually see many parodies of Darth Vader but the one Sprout pulled was by far the most hilarious I ever saw.
Background Pony #121A
Sorry for my overdramatic nature. I went too far. I’m not sad over it or anything. I’m curious of what they’ll do next though. What will happen now?

Sunny appealed to the sense of hope that we have seen several times, Hitch had grown up with her and thus did not need much persuasion, especially by sneaking voluntarily into Zephyr Heights - and her biggest weapon in the face of reluctant ponies, was the truth. She made a strong impression on Haven and Alphabittle even though the first collection of crystals failed, so much so that they followed her to Maretime bay. With the truth, she revealed that the ponies had lived in a lie, as no one had known about each other’s weaknesses and the conflict between them was thus meaningless.

The moment Sunny saw the abandoned station hall, she realized that everything she and the other ponies had been told about when they were growing up was not true. Izzy did the same, having read the notebook where Sunny had written a lot about the ponies’ characteristics from Argyle’s research. It was Argyle who gave Phyllis the ammunition she needed to take advantage of the fear, by giving the earth ponies a face of an enemy. In the end, Sunny in Bridlewood discovered that no one knew the truth about each other or the situation where they had come to fear each other with subsequent distrust and anger. She woke the Ponykind out of a bad dream.

The Ponykind was attacked. The loss of magic seems to be led by collective memory loss and brainwashing as seen in the EQG - and with an incredible magical power which means that the ponies are in great danger. Only bits of the long story were preserved, the ponies thought these were just myths, without realizing that they were living in a false reality. Until Sunny meets Izzy who reveals that the magic had disappeared, and when she saw posters in the station hall where the glass window is.

It was a curse that Sunny had lifted by activating the spell Twilight Sparkle had left in the three crystals, but she had already broken it by uniting the three pony tribes with love, forgiveness and friendship. Simply by telling them the truth. But when the curse was thrown on the ponies, it must have been a horrible incident that they could not remember. Which may have ruined Canterlot who had “disappeared” from the ponies’ minds.

The darkness has just begun. Someone out there had attacked the ponies, and is still out there, who must have sensed that a new alicorn had arisen, and that the curse on the ponies had been lifted. In my opinion, it is worse than older conflicts between the ponies. And this can also affect non-ponies who may have lost their magic or been displaced.

The whole world may be in danger.
DerpyFast
Pixel Perfection - Hot Pockets Spotted
Non-Fungible Trixie -
My Little Pony - 1992 Edition
Wallet After Summer Sale -
Friendship, Art, and Magic (2018) - Celebrated Derpibooru's six year anniversary with friends.

@Roseluck  
They clearly had a lot of fun designing the pegasus civilization. The pegasi have a greco-roman thing going on, and one of the ideas associated with Rome is “Bread and Circuses”. This is the idea that the rulers maintain approval not through excellence or through solving problems, but by keeping the population distracted with food and entertainment. The pegasi are too distracted to even notice a unicorn and earth pony walking through their city.

And that’s why the station scene is my favourite from the movie. Zipp notices things that others don’t, and when we see Zephyr Heights from her perspective, we’re suddenly hit with how sad it is that the pegasi have lost something so central to who they are.

full

On an unrelated note:

SparkleDash has pretty much made it impossible for anyone who dislikes the movie to be taken seriously, so if there is a silent majority, they’ve probably decided to not bother.
Cosmas-the-Explorer
Non-Fungible Trixie -

Explorer in Training
@DerpyFast  
It’s a good way to distract from one’s greater purpose.

I always did think of the Haven family as some Greco Roman type of dynasty. And I always thought of them as populist tyrants. Unlike unicorns of old who had a great distance from their subjects, the pegasi of now have a very intimate relationship with their fans.
Background Pony #1D03
I feel Hitch had the better development in the movie, granted a little rushed, but still believable to me. He showed in the beginning that he could be open-minded when he pointed out Sunny was going against the history books, but was still willing to play it “her” way.
Background Pony #1D03
I think it’s important to remember that Pipp just had her whole life overturned when she joined the group. Keep in mind that she’s traveling with the ponies who exposed her family’s secret, got her mom arrested, and turned her into a fugitive. And one of them is her sister, so there’s obviously feelings of betrayal there. Of course she’s being a jerk to them until she warmed up to them.
Cosmas-the-Explorer
Non-Fungible Trixie -

Explorer in Training
I think I need a break from G5 thread a bit. My feelings have shifted so much from love to hate and in between. Although I think I now like G5 even if I don’t love it.

But I need to chill and take a break from this forum stuff. Hoof. I’ll see you guys soon.
Background Pony #E969
I remember when Adam Muto said if they were going to do Shermy and Beth spin-off of Adventure Time they made sure to bring in Immortal characters like Princess Bubblegum and Marceline to establish its same world from original show just 1000 years into the future like they did in series finale this barely feels like it’s the same world did people working on the film even watched MLP FIM?
Dex Stewart
Silly Pony - Celebrated the 13th anniversary of MLP:FIM, and 40 years of MLP!
Shimmering Smile - Celebrated the 10th anniversary of Equestria Girls!
Roseluck - Had their OC in the 2023 Derpibooru Collab.
King Sombra - Celebrated the 10th anniversary of The Crystal Empire!
A Lovely Nightmare Night - Celebrated the 12th anniversary of MLP:FIM!
Princess of Love - Extra special version for those who participated in the Canterlot Wedding 10th anniversary event by contributing art.
Non-Fungible Trixie -

Ecto-Phase,Activate!
@Background Pony #E969  
I’d assume they at least watched a few episodes. Sunny’s house has a picture of Starswirl.  
I think they may have been under mandates to distance it from g4 though. Or they wanted this movie to hold up as a standalone film.
Background Pony #9485
I spotted a drawing of the Memory Stone from EG and a drawing of a blue and white alicorns.
GoodVibesGorgeous

Grumpy and antisocial
@Background Pony #E969  
One of the movie’s screenwriters literally wrote for Friendship Is Magic (her first episode there was that one where Princess Cadance and Shining Armor reveal they would have a baby and she also wrote the book that first mentioned, although indirectly, Maud Pie). And Meghan McCarthy was one of the executive producers.
GenericArchangel
Alicorn Squadron - For supporting the site
Pixel Perfection - I still call her Lightning Bolt
Princess of Love - Extra special version for those who participated in the Canterlot Wedding 10th anniversary event by contributing art.
Artist -
Non-Fungible Trixie -
Preenhub - We all know what you were up to this evening~
Bronze Supporter - Bronze Supporter

Free the Tantabus
@GoodVibesGorgeous  
And let’s not forget that they went into G5 fully intending for it to be, somehow, an extension of G4. This new stuff has G4 all over it, both in the setting and the tone it takes. They all but said “friendship is magic” verbatim.
Joshua
Duck - Duck cannon at high speed
Silly Pony - Celebrated the 13th anniversary of MLP:FIM, and 40 years of MLP!
Non-Fungible Trixie -
Ten years of changes - Celebrated the 10th anniversary of MLP:FiM!
Perfect Pony Plot Provider - Uploader of 10+ images with 350 upvotes or more (Questionable/Explicit)
Since the Beginning  -

There was something I was curious about throughout the whole movie. Izzy is able to read a pony’s luminescence, or their sparkle, and it’s based on colors. We know Sunny’s sparkle is lavender and Pipp’s is aqua marine, but what about the other 3, Izzy’s included?
Interested in advertising on Derpibooru? Click here for information!
Champions of Equestria

Help fund the $15 daily operational cost of Derpibooru - support us financially!

Syntax quick reference: **bold** *italic* ||hide text|| `code` __underline__ ~~strike~~ ^sup^ %sub%

Detailed syntax guide