MLP G5 Discussion and Speculation Thread

TheQuietMan
Solar Supporter - Fought against the New Lunar Republic rebellion on the side of the Solar Deity (April Fools 2023).
Non-Fungible Trixie -
Preenhub - We all know what you were up to this evening~
My Little Pony - 1992 Edition
Wallet After Summer Sale -

House of the Arcana
Okay, stupid headcanon. Sprout who becomes a short-lived dictator, is the son of Phyllis Cloverleaf, who may be a descendant of Luster Dawn who may be Starlight’s daughter gets her name from her plant Phyllis Cloverleaf. There full circle.

Haven’s probably a descendant of Pony Baloney who was Svengallop’s original name.
Background Pony #8CAC
So I was looking at pictures of the (very detailed) scenery in the new movie.

And it occurred to me… is this station for hot air balloons? Like the one Twilight and Spike rode down from the mountain city of Canterlot in the opening of every episode of Friendship is Magic?

Because with the high ceilings and the general shape of those things hanging there, it kind of looks like it could be.
natef

I loved the film but I do hope a lot of these background details are fleshed out in the special/series. Netflix should hopefully allow for a lot more creative freedom to do serialized worldbuilding.
ЅℰℒᎯℙℋℐℰℒ
Solar Supporter - Fought against the New Lunar Republic rebellion on the side of the Solar Deity (April Fools 2023).
Twinkling Balloon - Took part in the 2021 community collab.
Friendship, Art, and Magic (2020) - Took part in the 2020 Community Collab
Wallet After Summer Sale -
Friendship, Art, and Magic (2019) - Celebrated Derpibooru's seventh year anniversary with friends
Friendship, Art, and Magic (2018) - Celebrated Derpibooru's six year anniversary with friends.
Not a Llama - Happy April Fools Day!
Magnificent Metadata Maniac - #1 Assistant
Friendship, Art, and Magic (2017) - Celebrated Derpibooru's five year anniversary with friends.

Pomegranates :P
Anyone think the creative team behind G5 have raised the bar a little higher than those who were behind G4? G5 appears to be less squeamish about incorporating more complex, deeper, and “heavier” themes than the preceding generation.
EquusStorm
Non-Fungible Trixie -
Silver Bit -
Ruby -
Happy Derpy! -
Bronze Supporter -
Artist -

Flop it to the princess
So… for those of y’all into tying the lore of G4 into things… a thought.

Seems to me the magic being tied to the crystals, and only working when together, was a peacekeeping fail-safe that was implemented long ago for the future. Seeing how easy it was for the tribes to start warring again before the final battle of FiM and knowing how short societal memories were - and eventually, lessons learned would be forgot and harmony would start to decline - a powerful being (an alicorn perhaps?) tied the world’s magic to the set, with the dire warning that warring and tribes distrusting each other again would lead to magic vanishing for ALL when the set breaks up. Obviously it didn’t work, but that sort of deterrent would certainly be an effective way of at least attempting to keep the peace long after you’re gone.

After all, if you threaten to take away ALL the toys if kids don’t share, with luck they will get very good at self-enforcing sharing…
EquusStorm
Non-Fungible Trixie -
Silver Bit -
Ruby -
Happy Derpy! -
Bronze Supporter -
Artist -

Flop it to the princess
@ЅℰℒᎯℙℋℐℰℒ

That would be cool… I love the dark gritty aesthetic of the 2017 movie so if the new show can explore dark topics with grace and style while keeping it a kids’ show I’m excited to see where it leads. They took til S7 to really explicitly bring up the whole death thing (one could argue S3 or S5 with a brief mention of AJ’s parents) but the new film did it in literally the first ten minutes. Maybe they got the creative freedom to branch out more so than they were constrained by in the last gen. I feel that TV-Y rating really hurt the writers that wanted to go deeply into more complex subjects
EquusStorm
Non-Fungible Trixie -
Silver Bit -
Ruby -
Happy Derpy! -
Bronze Supporter -
Artist -

Flop it to the princess
Hey maybe we can blame Luster Dawn, maybe she graduated from the Pre-S6-Starlight school of friendship thinking. MANDATORY friendship enforced! Or else no magic for you!
Pinto Bean
Lunar Supporter - Helped forge New Lunar Republic's freedom in the face of the Solar Empire's oppressive tyrannical regime (April Fools 2023).
Non-Fungible Trixie -
Not a Llama - Happy April Fools Day!

refried sans lard
@ЅℰℒᎯℙℋℐℰℒ

G4 was a game changer in terms of exploring the complexities of its characters, the spectrum of their emotions, advanced world building and storytelling. But based on what we’ve seen so far, I would say that G5 is right there, and has tons of potential.

Which themes are referring to? And how do you think they are deeper and heavier?

One thing I will say about G5 is that the main characters do seem more mature in general than those from G4, although we haven’t even gotten much into exploring their flaws yet, which all well developed characters have.
EquusStorm
Non-Fungible Trixie -
Silver Bit -
Ruby -
Happy Derpy! -
Bronze Supporter -
Artist -

Flop it to the princess
More than anything it’s going to be hard to tell much about where we’re going with it until we get into the actual show; obviously we didn’t get a full picture of G4 from the opening two parter so all we can do is speculate until Netflix dumps the entire season without warning sometime in the future. I definitely have a great feeling so far about things but we know so little about the show it’s gonna be hard to say for now
𝐒𝐞𝐚𝐫
Silly Pony - Celebrated the 13th anniversary of MLP:FIM, and 40 years of MLP!
Thread Starter - Started a thread with over 100 pages
Shimmering Smile - Celebrated the 10th anniversary of Equestria Girls!
Lunar Guardian - Earned a place among the ranks of the most loyal New Lunar Republic soldiers (April Fools 2023).
Flower Trio - Helped others get their OC into the 2023 Derpibooru Collab.
Roseluck - Had their OC in the 2023 Derpibooru Collab.
King Sombra - Celebrated the 10th anniversary of The Crystal Empire!
A Lovely Nightmare Night - Celebrated the 12th anniversary of MLP:FIM!
Princess of Love - Extra special version for those who participated in the Canterlot Wedding 10th anniversary event by contributing art.
Tree of Harmony - Drew someone's OC for the 2022 Community Collab

seventh layer of hair
I dreamed that the G4’s Mane Six was reanimated back from the dead in G5

But they don’t look like that typical stereotypic zombies tho… if you watch Naruto, there is a jutsu called Edo Tensei which brings the dead back to life but they don’t look like a walking rotten skeletons or corpses.
Background Pony #FE5E
The Mane Five go to an arcade.

Guess which grey unicorn has the high score for all the games?
Interested in advertising on Derpibooru? Click here for information!
Techy Cutie Pony Collection!

Help fund the $15 daily operational cost of Derpibooru - support us financially!

Syntax quick reference: **bold** *italic* ||hide text|| `code` __underline__ ~~strike~~ ^sup^ %sub%

Detailed syntax guide