MLP G5 Discussion and Speculation Thread

Cosmas-the-Explorer
Solar Supporter - Fought against the New Lunar Republic rebellion on the side of the Solar Deity (April Fools 2023).
Non-Fungible Trixie -
Notoriously Divine Tagger - Consistently uploads images above and beyond the minimum tag requirements. And/or additionally, bringing over the original description from the source if the image has one. Does NOT apply to the uploader adding several to a dozen tags after originally uploading with minimum to bare tagging.

Explorer in Training
Anybody think Maretime Bay has a 50s/60s vibe to it.

It’s fairly modern to our tastes to be recognizable but more old fashioned in its attitudes. While also having some highly advanced weaponry.

Even Phyllis’s hairstyle is pretty reminiscent of the era.

And Sunny has the attitude of an activist student of the 50s or 60s who wants to change the status quo like in helping with desegragation.
Background Pony #9485
I really like “Gonna Be My Day” song. The actual song on the soundtrack also sounds better to me cause the movie version’s sounds a little too auto-tuned for me (although I still like it).

I have the same issue with the movie’s “Glow-Up” version too. It sounds too auto-tuned for me that I can’t hear Pipp’s actual voice very real.
Cosmas-the-Explorer
Solar Supporter - Fought against the New Lunar Republic rebellion on the side of the Solar Deity (April Fools 2023).
Non-Fungible Trixie -
Notoriously Divine Tagger - Consistently uploads images above and beyond the minimum tag requirements. And/or additionally, bringing over the original description from the source if the image has one. Does NOT apply to the uploader adding several to a dozen tags after originally uploading with minimum to bare tagging.

Explorer in Training
@Background Pony #9485  
Yeah that would be awesome.

Also even some 50s tech would be nice. And maybe some references to Alfred Hitchcock films or Spartacus or Charleton Heston. Just a few of courae.

(I might be contradicting myself when I said “subtle”. Lol. As long as its not annoying and in your face I’m fine with it)
Background Pony #EB72
@Cosmas-the-Explorer  
That makes pegasi’s city looks modern or futuristic the most, perhaps 2020s+ vibes. While unicorn’s town looks the most old fashioned to the point of pre-90s.
DerpyFast
Pixel Perfection - Hot Pockets Spotted
Non-Fungible Trixie -
My Little Pony - 1992 Edition
Wallet After Summer Sale -
Friendship, Art, and Magic (2018) - Celebrated Derpibooru's six year anniversary with friends.

@EquusStorm  
This. Considering how FiM tended to over-deify friendship, what I really respect is that Sunny, Izzy and Zipp have so much independence.

Sunny is a more grounded and not completely sheltered version of Twilight. Both Sunny and Twilight have a natural curiosity, but where Twilight would rather learn something from a book, Sunny would rather get it from the horse’s mouth. There’s also some Milo Thatch in there.

Pinkie does not have a filter. Usually things are done Pinkie Pie Style, and that’s either what’s needed or it isn’t. Izzy pays attention to how others react, and adjusts. Where Pinkie cannot function without others, Izzy has learned how to be happy by herself.

Other than being athletic tomboy pegasi, Dash and Zipp are completely different. Rainbow Dash is a character who risks being destroyed by her own hubris, and Zipp is a royal, frustrated with the lie she’s forced to live. If anything, Zipp is more like the pirates from the 2017 movie.

Despite what the marketing says, I think it makes more sense to treat these three as the main characters, since their actions are what drive the plot. Meanwhile, Hitch and Pipp are secondary characters who are mostly just along for the ride.

The creature thing invites comparisons between Hitch and Fluttershy. But that’s not really something he controls. Between being liked and respected, and that paid-off mortgage, Hitch has a lot invested in his community, and stands to lose a lot from change. This puts him closer to Applejack.

I don’t think Pipp even really counts as a character. She’s mostly just a prop, to the point where Queen Haven has more character depth. This doesn’t mean I dislike Pipp, though. I have a background in theatre, so I find her little theatre affectations to be endearing.
Wiimeiser
Roseluck - Had their OC in the 2023 Derpibooru Collab.
Elements of Harmony - Had an OC in the 2022 Community Collab
Twinkling Balloon - Took part in the 2021 community collab.
Friendship, Art, and Magic (2020) - Took part in the 2020 Community Collab
Dream Come True! - Participated in the MLP 9th Anniversary Event
A Tale For The Ages - Celebrated MLP's 35th Anniversary and FiM's 8th Anniversary
An Artist Who Rocks - 100+ images under their artist tag

(Foil Hat)
@DerpyFast  
I actually mentioned something about Pipp being a last minute addition because they needed a second girly girl to balance out Zipp and Sunny (Note that after Sunny becomes an alicorn only the pegasi have dupes)
Background Pony #9485
Now I think about it. What are the chances the unicorns don’t really know any spells beyond telekinesis because their spellbooks have rotted away or something?
Roseluck
Roseluck - For supporting the site

Dark theory: Phyliss took out a contract on Argyle because he was a threat to the status quo.

Ah, so I’m not the only one who thought the timing and framing of that scene screamed that Phyllis had Argyle killed!

@ichiban iceychan 1517  
That’s just my take, but Pipp does feel like you could remove from the group… and you wouldn’t even notice. I feel the same about Hitch though.

They could have stayed in their respective hometown and… well, they did influence the plot a little, but they basically cancel each other out. Hitch gets them caught, which leads to Sunny losing the pegasus crystal… and Pipp comes along to solve both problems five minutes later: they get the crystal back and a way out.

They’re similar to each other, and in the group dynamics, in that they’re here against their will and they’re not happy one bit about it. Because the pony they trusted screwed up everything for everyone else in town and now they have to deal with it whether they want to or not.

Restored magic and reconciliation or not, they probably have a lot of trust issues to work out with Sunny and Zipp in the following show.

So something caught my ear on my second watch, that I hadn’t noticed in French. And really, at this point, it’s just simpler to spoiler everything.

Hitch: I told her. I told her. No more favors. No more bailing her out.

The highest legal authority in town, kept helping the biggest lawbreaker in town escape her comeuppance, because he’s her best friend.

Wow. Just… just wow.

You truly can’t spell “pony” without “cronyism,” can you? Yeah, Sunny’s Twilight successor alright. Sigh.

On a brighter note, because I’d rather focus on the good rather than the bad after eight years of dealing with G4, the second watch also made me notice he started moving to the music upon hearing Pipp’s song. The little character cards were right to say his favorite hobby was listening to music.

I was still amused (and a little creeped out) that he knew the feather he licked was a pegasus one… like he’d preened a pegasus before or tasted enough birds to know it wasn’t any of them. But the second watch and the time to think that came with it made me realize he was just being dramatic.

I mean, look at the speech he gave to no one about catching Sunny… then he noticed he had an audience and went full ham. And of course his love for “solo Hitch missions.” He’s had several of those and that’s a (probably comedic) treasure trove of fanfic ideas.

Since we’re mentioning similarities to the previous cast, if anything he reminds me of Rainbow Dash if she had a dramatic flair and had been inspired to join the police rather than the army.

I also see some similarities between her and Zipp… In the sense that if Rainbow had been born a flightless pegasus princess forced to live that lie, and with a little sister to keep safe/happy who prevented her to blow that lie as soon as she could, I’d expect her to behave like Zipp did. Not entirely mind you, or even a lot, but that heartwrenching gaze at the Wonderbolts poster… yeah. It’d be there too.

They also both can be pretty sneaky when they want to!

As for Izzy… yeah, she’s basically Pinkie done right as far as I’m concerned.

The similarities are uncanny after all. I don’t just mean in personality… but in context. She’s the only unicorn in all Bridlewood (save for Alphabittle) who’s cheerful when everyone else is basically Eeyore, like Pinkie was the only one out of her family who was cheerful.

And what’s the other similarity? Pinkie was cheerful because she was the one pony in her family who saw the Sonic Rainboom. Izzy was the one unicorn in Bridlewood who received Sunny’s lantern… is that why her “sparkle is a bit too sparkly” compared to all the others?

I wouldn’t be surprised if Sunny sent another lantern (since it was meant for both unicorns and pegasi) and the pegasus royal family got it. Actually, my memory tells me Zipp said “wait, you were the one who sent…?” at some point but the transcript tells me she didn’t.

If that’s true though, well… Those three are the three ponies who’re not happy with the state of things, unlike Hitch and Pipp who don’t believe in the ‘fairytale’ of reconciliation. DerpyFast is right to call them the true protagonists. And well, it’s entirely possible Izzy and Zipp started to believe change was possible because they were told friends were waiting for them in Maretime Bay when they were foals.

Congratulations Sunny, you’re the new Rainbow Dash!

Oh, and going back to French. In English, Zipp’s line at the end to alicorn!Sunny is “whoa, Sunny! Check you out!” In French, it’s translated to “Sunny, look how beautiful you are!”

SunnyZipp is canon guys
TheIronWolf45
Artist -

If the new movie is a continuation of G4 set some time later, then where the heck are our kirin, zebras, changelings, hippogriffs/hippocampus, dragons, Abyssinians cats, diamond dogs, yaks, etc.

Like I know the movie is a pilot for the era, but that bugged me.
Wiimeiser
Roseluck - Had their OC in the 2023 Derpibooru Collab.
Elements of Harmony - Had an OC in the 2022 Community Collab
Twinkling Balloon - Took part in the 2021 community collab.
Friendship, Art, and Magic (2020) - Took part in the 2020 Community Collab
Dream Come True! - Participated in the MLP 9th Anniversary Event
A Tale For The Ages - Celebrated MLP's 35th Anniversary and FiM's 8th Anniversary
An Artist Who Rocks - 100+ images under their artist tag

(Foil Hat)
Finally saw it. Giving a thought… I’ll forgive Phyllis, but Sprout needs to at least have his badge revoked, bare minimum. Also, what happens to the unicorns that get trapped in the boxes? What happened to Argyle? And do we have a new CMC? So many questions that need answering…
Interested in advertising on Derpibooru? Click here for information!
Ministry of Image - Fanfiction Printing

Help fund the $15 daily operational cost of Derpibooru - support us financially!

Syntax quick reference: **bold** *italic* ||hide text|| `code` __underline__ ~~strike~~ ^sup^ %sub%

Detailed syntax guide