MLP G5 Discussion and Speculation Thread

Background Pony #E2A5
Complicated magic is reserved for greater elaboration of a plot where the viewer will have more time and more focus, and will not be worth much work in future G5 episodes. Instead, an overview and generalization of magic will be important, when this is put into a simple system for school children aged 6-11, so they can understand and process what is shown on the screens.
From G4 it’s easy; the unicorns as scholars dealt with telekinesis, material manipulation and external magic spells - the pegasi can make things weightless or make them float in the air, fly, manipulate the weather - and the earth ponies are super strong, skilled plant growers, sensitive to the elements in the soil - and this is symbolized by their habitats in S1-S3, the unicorns in the mountains, the pegasi in the air and the earth ponies on the ground.
In G5, the ponies need to learn again, as the magic has returned, and it does not have to be complicated. They have so far only discovered a very small part of what their ancestors had, we still do not see weather manipulation in the pegasi or material manipulation of the unicorns. The pegasi manipulate air / atmosphere, the unicorns manipulate material, and the earth ponies manipulate the earth, from sand to mountains.
That the earth ponies are much stronger than the unicorns, was of course in G4. Although Tempest Shadow has shown that this is not race-determined, as her magical potential is so strongly hampered by a lack of control, that her magic is not only channeled through the horn. And Raindow Dash was so strong that she could rival Applejack because she had trained and sharpened her magic to unprecedented heights. This shows that the ponies are unique from pony to pony, even though they are divided into three “groups” according to magical capacity.
Air, mountains, soil. The pegasi, the unicorns and the earth ponies.
TheQuietMan
Solar Supporter - Fought against the New Lunar Republic rebellion on the side of the Solar Deity (April Fools 2023).
Non-Fungible Trixie -
Preenhub - We all know what you were up to this evening~
My Little Pony - 1992 Edition
Wallet After Summer Sale -

House of the Arcana
@Background Pony #E2A5
Makes sense. It probably takes place after apparently 10 issues in the g5 comics. With Discord ever present to loom over them. Maybe he will guide them through history and Equestria Beyond. Or continue his belief that we joked about with “Fallen Twilight”
Background Pony #DF4C
I also would be very careful with this teaser. It is near the end of the special.
Background Pony #DF4C
Some might say the mane five are out of character. I disagree. Zipp is doing it on purpose because she wants her friends to see for themselves what is happening. She is a scientist after all. Words are not enough.
Background Pony #E2A5
@Background Pony #E2A5
Makes sense. It probably takes place after apparently 10 issues in the g5 comics. With Discord ever present to loom over them. Maybe he will guide them through history and Equestria Beyond. Or continue his belief that we joked about with “Fallen Twilight”
Have a feeling that Discord´s return is only the beginning of the arc which may be about the G4-G5 transition phase where the Mane 5 must take the torches left by the Mane 6. It is not only Discord`s grief, with the discovery of Canterlot that can Being in the shadow of Zephyr Heights meant that Sunny and her friends could finally start learning about the past and find out what they need to learn about their magic. Furthermore, it is clear that the dragons, the diamond dogs, the abyssinians, the kirins, the yaks and the griffons must return - and then the world must be mapped for the future G5 viewer when the 3D series starts.
We know that dragons were last seen “several generations ago”, which only strengthens the hypothesis that the catastrophe that took away the magic (we can now assume that unstable and uncontrolled pony magic was in the picture) had happened at least a couple of centuries before G5. And although we do not yet know where the egg came from, it is clear that Hitch`s animal friends hid secrets from the ponies, and that the dragons are out there. We can only hope that the griffons, the changelings and the others are “out there” along with the pegasi who had probably built an empire.
If Equestria had collapsed; does this mean that the diamond dogs may have taken over the whole eastern part as part of Caninia while the changelings will take over the southern part of Equestria around the badlands, Southern Equestria may have broken out and become a separate country - I hope we will see sphinxes and jackals on return - and large parts of northern Equestria may have been annexed by the Crystal Empire. It is possible that the Pegasi Empire and the Crystal Empire have a close commercial relationship that is not shown because it was “complicated”. It is possible that the earth ponies will establish separate states on the east coast and in the middle of Equestria, we have seen a flag with twelve stars.
Sunny has “united” three states; Maretime Bay in what may be Maretonia, Bridlewood which may have the McIntosh Hills and Appalonian Mountains under its own control, and Zephyr Heights which probably only have dominion over middle Equestria and the inner northern parts of Equestria. It believed that there are several states on the east coast (two; Manehattan and Philadelphia, possibly also with the Griffin Islands). It is possible that some of the twelve states are non-pony states such as the changelings and the kirins, and it is possible that the loss of magic has led to non-ponies such as the sphinxes being able to subjugate lands that had previously belonged to the ponies.
In any case, the G4 world must be united with the new world that Sunny had grown up in. If Sunny is meant to be Twilight Sparkle`s successor, she must know what kind of domains are meant for her as a future princess. It would be very big horseshoes for her if Twilight had united “the whole world” in her friendship policy that Sunny would like to resume.
Background Pony #E2A5
Sunny calls her magic alicorn magic.
The recording revealed that Sunny´s cutie mark glows, this can be seen 0.51, the other cutie marks remain normal. Could it mean that Sunny`s alicorn powers are linked to her emotional state? And we have seen in other recordings that she can not easily retrieve her alicorn state “with a thought”, and that she can not always control her powers when they arrived. There are many indications that the Unity Crystals and her emotional state are important for Sunny to become an alicorn. And even without this, she is simply too powerful, a dinosaur among the birds literally. And I think Sunny is a little scared, since she knows little about the alicorns, only that they were powerful ponies. So it is possible that she will hesitate and be somewhat inhibited in her use of her alicorn powers.
But in the comics and the 3D series, she will find that her alicorn powers will be needed, especially if Sombra`s successor were to become her nemesis through the G5. (not the boss villian) And she will, as a matter of course, find out what it means to be an alicorn. For it is not only the magical powers that make a pony an alicorn.
Background Pony #13BA
@Background Pony #DF4C
Remember where this concept came from?
I’ll give you a hint
Crystal Empire
Ponies powering the Crystal Heart
They basically took that concept for G5
I also see this to be quite a big story flaw. Making magic dependent on ponies only is just…not a good story arc. I mean, i’m sure that one day they will make it that its all creatures but for now it only being powered by ponies is just kinda bad story wise
It’s a good concept, really, but I am not sure if it’s the right way to go about it. With the Crystal Ponies, the crystal simply kept Sombra out. It only affected a small population. Here, it’s All of Equestria. Do other creatures not mater that they can’t power the crystal either?
I know other creatures aren’t established yet, but Sparky will be. Meaning that they’re planning on it. Seems kinda eh. Pony Supremacy is just meh
Background Pony #E0DA
People don’t actually think this looks good, do they?
The voice acting, animation and dialogue are TERRIBLE.
Background Pony #13BA
@Background Pony #E0DA
The animation is… ok for the most part. There are some moments where it looks off.
I still can’t get used to the voices. They sound really out of place for me :/
Background Pony #E2A5
Sunny calls her magic alicorn magic.
The recording revealed that Sunny´s cutie mark glows, this can be seen 0.51, the other cutie marks remain normal. Could it mean that Sunny`s alicorn powers are linked to her emotional state? And we have seen in other recordings that she can not easily retrieve her alicorn state “with a thought”, and that she can not always control her powers when they arrived. There are many indications that the Unity Crystals and her emotional state are important for Sunny to become an alicorn. And even without this, she is simply too powerful, a dinosaur among the birds literally. And I think Sunny is a little scared, since she knows little about the alicorns, only that they were powerful ponies. So it is possible that she will hesitate and be somewhat inhibited in her use of her alicorn powers.
But in the comics and the 3D series, she will find that her alicorn powers will be needed, especially if Sombra`s successor were to become her nemesis through the G5. (not the boss villian) And she will, as a matter of course, find out what it means to be an alicorn. For it is not only the magical powers that make a pony an alicorn.
In the recording, we see that the Unity Crystals start to fade 3.26 just after Sunny starts arguing with Hitch. First the cutie mark that glows in 0.51 apparently without explanation when Sunny appreciated the music performance by Pipp. And from the first trailer, it looked like a customer had asked something important when the alicorn forces manifested themselves unexpectedly for Sunny. We now know that Sunny could not just summon her alicorn powers at once.
Could a link between the Unity Crystals and Sunny have been created in the movie?
Agrees that unstabilizing magic by making it external and highly vulnerable to the emotional impact of the ponies so that the Unity Crystals has become both a blessing and a curse, is reminiscent of a bad idea.
When the Crystal Heart was created, it was to protect the crystal ponies and created living conditions so far north - and it relied on collective magic that the tribe voluntarily gave up for the protectors of the Crystal Heart. The Crystal Heart can be corrupted, which was why Sombra wanted it, as it protected the crystal ponies from him after the royal sisters had banished him (more properly slay and sealed in the ice) from the Crystal City. But the Crystal Heart was never a threat to the crystal ponies, Sombra had the Crystal Empire and the ponies under his control, and he could trouble-free spread terror and experiment with dark magic without being distracted by disasters. The function of the heart to keep the empire alive was never interrupted in Sombra’s time. Dark and negative emotions were not life threatening for the crystal ponies.
So the whole thing with the Unity Crystals needs to be normalized. Maybe Discord will fix it as soon as he can stop mourning, as he is one of the few who can manipulate background magic that even alicorns could not control. Or Sunny, who may be the only one who can control the Unity Crystals, as there are indications that her alicorn powers came from there.
And besides, it’s not a little strange that the earth pony magic was “not” distributed in the movie, as if they were there all the time, but were “turned off” in contrast to the unicorns and the pegasi. We did not see any sign of using the earth pony magic, in the movie all three tribes were not physically different from each other basically. Sunny could easily push Izzy up, but we did not see this in the movie. It was only after the rainbow ray rose from the hole that we saw that the earth ponies could use magic.
Hitch could not understand the animals, just talk to them, but they can not talk to him in the movie. Everyone saw how shocked he was when he could understand what the animals were saying. It was believed that the talent that Fluttershy had was magic-based and that Hitch had to have magic to have the same talent. And the dragon egg could not hatch without powerful magic through raw power or strong heat. It was the magic of Hitch - it must be quite powerful - that hatched the egg.
Maybe Hitch should try his hoover at a huge boulder to test his magic? Maybe he can split it in two.
GoodVibesGorgeous
Lunar Supporter - Helped forge New Lunar Republic's freedom in the face of the Solar Empire's oppressive tyrannical regime (April Fools 2023).

Grumpy and antisocial
@Background Pony #E0DA
I think it’s fine. I don’t think Boulder Media and the A New Generation cast will ever return (they probably would return if Make Your Mark was a Netflix original, but it’s merely an acquired show), so we just need to get used to it.
DerpyFast
Solar Supporter - Fought against the New Lunar Republic rebellion on the side of the Solar Deity (April Fools 2023).
Non-Fungible Trixie -
Friendship, Art, and Magic (2018) - Celebrated Derpibooru's six year anniversary with friends.

Few thoughts:
  • Not digging the animation, but I’ll probably get used to it.
  • So often in the G4 specials, the stakes were only personal for Twilight. So it’s nice that the stakes are personal for Zipp.
  • I also like how the problem isn’t just some temporary inconvenience that the show will forget about once it’s dealt with. The setting is at a crossroads, and how things play out will actually have long-term consequences.
  • Too often did a special end with a Deus Ex Machina, powered by whatever virtue the episode was about. I think it’s kind of interesting that the Unity Crystal is instead being treated as this last glowing ember of the before times.
TheQuietMan
Non-Fungible Trixie -
Preenhub - We all know what you were up to this evening~

House of the Arcana
@Background Pony #E2A5
Since you mentioned it, I highly suspect that the show may or may not mention comic exclusive events. Dislike what you will (not you), but there are such races as those from Ornithia and Farasi
@Background Pony #E2A5
Not sure if Sombra is even involved at all
@Background Pony #13BA
To me, the crystal seems to only affect ponies and is a double-edged sword. Had the ponies still fought among themselves and therefore lost that magic again, other warring states or even villainous conquerors could take over without breaking a sweat. Thanks Twilight! You are more useful than the other princesses are!
Background Pony #E2A5
@Background Pony #E2A5
Since you mentioned it, I highly suspect that the show may or may not mention comic exclusive events. Dislike what you will (not you), but there are such races as those from Ornithia and Farasi
@Background Pony #E2A5
Not sure if Sombra is even involved at all
@Background Pony #13BA
To me, the crystal seems to only affect ponies and is a double-edged sword. Had the ponies still fought among themselves and therefore lost that magic again, other warring states or even villainous conquerors could take over without breaking a sweat. Thanks Twilight! You are more useful than the other princesses are!
These originated in the movie, the games and other than the comics have a greater chance of appearing in the G5, so we will probably not see these “invented” in the IDW G4 comics as the intelligent deers in Everfree (as is completely wiped out as far as we know), and I find it very unlikely that other continents will be directly affected by what happened in Equestria.
Not Sombra. His successor. Would not be surprising if he left behind the successors or a secret hiding place with dark secrets others can find and seize for their own use. In any case, it is clear that Sunny needs a counterpart that can challenge her and her worldview. Here, a pony with Sombra’s character will be almost perfect.
We still do not know what the case is with the Unity Crystals, but it is clear that the ponies’ magic has become too unstable and dangerous as this predicted emotional stability and that everyone is “forced” to be kind to each other. Slightly too close to dystopian conditions. One would think that the windigos are trapped in the Unity Crystals themselves! This is a serious author error that needs to be cleared up, thus the Unity Crystals must be “normalized” and become more of a door to pony magic or an aid like the Crystal Heart.
G4’s popularity is due to the fact that nothing was so black and white, Trixie, Sombra, Starlight Glimmer and Tempest Shadow were “bad” ponies and these were popular with viewers who would like to see “good” ponies against “bad” ponies without external intervention. Starlight in many ways was the most human of all ponies when she criticized, asked and questioned with a human-like cynicism. Tempest was a badass used to using violence and who does not stand in the way of controversial actions when she was the Storm Kings’ second in command. And Sombra has become the most evil pony in the entire MLP Ponyverse. Trixie was just an annoyance to Twilight, and became very entertaining considering her personal character flaws.
You know; If the special was about the displeasure of the earth ponies because the others had gained beneficial benefits from magic that they had to learn under some chaotic circumstances, then try to find out if they have magic. And then these came into growing confrontation with the others who themselves did not find the magic as beneficial as they had thought, and can either join them or hold on to the magic. Then they will find out that the earth ponies have magic, they just need help from the Mane 5 who could learn more about the Unity Crystals in the process. So easy.
But some feel that the Unity Crystals should become a doomsday weapon as corruption of magic is allowed, creating questions about why the earth ponies did not get magic visible to everyone, to make the union of the ponies a necessity. Without realizing that this is contrary to the ponies’ independence and freedom to choose right and wrong. It will not be surprising that the special ended with more dissatisfied people turning away when they felt compelled, as Sunny had released the magic.
It does not get so little totalitarian from this.
We know that the windigos`s presence had led to the equestrian authorities being very concerned about welfare policy where the purpose was to ensure social stability, high economic conservatism (so it goes slowly) and low acceptance of violence. But Celestia took it a little too far when she made Equestria isolationist (according to S10 (in doubt) it was as a consequence of the collapse of international relations after a horrific war against the arrogant “knights”) with minimal contact with the rest of the world. But the independence of the ponies was not so threatened, and when the S9 came, the windigos had emerged not because pony tribes had parted ways with each other, but because they had waited for centuries to invade Equestria.
Until the episode “A Hearth’s Warming Tale” it was thought that they were ice demons who fed on hatred and evil with quite limited effects on the environment and thus could be overcome or expelled. Until the spring of 2016, no one had imagined that these could exterminate entire civilizations, as the great frost was more of an attack rather than triggered by the magic of the ponies. Starlight doubts the celebration because she did not believe in the message, and preferred not to celebrate. We did not get a story about the damage the windigos could create, but a doomsday story.
The ponies’ demeanor with high social acceptance, friendship and rationality side by side and especially small violent tendencies associated with self-defense, instincts and social cohesion have made these do not need much to remain the ponies everyone is familiar with from the extensive entertainment industry under Hasbro`s logo .
Nevertheless; it has been seen many times that the authors seem to want to force it forward. As if they have forgotten that harmony outweighs kindness. And it is the ideology of harmony that is essential for the ponies’ worldview and self-esteem. It foresaw a balance, which should not hinder the ponies.
Interested in advertising on Derpibooru? Click here for information!
KilianKuro Commissions!

Help fund the $15 daily operational cost of Derpibooru - support us financially!

Syntax quick reference: **bold** *italic* ||hide text|| `code` __underline__ ~~strike~~ ^sup^ %sub%

Detailed syntax guide