MLP G5 Discussion and Speculation Thread

Dustcan
Magnificent Metadata Maniac - #1 Assistant
Lunar Supporter - Helped forge New Lunar Republic's freedom in the face of the Solar Empire's oppressive tyrannical regime (April Fools 2023).
Non-Fungible Trixie -
Preenhub - We all know what you were up to this evening~
Twinkling Balloon - Took part in the 2021 community collab.
Friendship, Art, and Magic (2020) - Took part in the 2020 Community Collab
Wallet After Summer Sale -
Condensed Milk - State-Approved Compensation

Dogs
I wonder if Pipp will be the one to ascend to the throne. A recurring thing with Zipp is that she balks at her royal duties while Pipp indulges.
Background Pony #E0DA
Now that we have a movie, a 2D animated series, a comic book, and a special, how do you feel about G5 so far? Is it a worthy follow-up to G4?
Background Pony #A1EF
I’m not putting it on the same level as FIM, but I’m enjoying it so far.
DerpyFast
Solar Supporter - Fought against the New Lunar Republic rebellion on the side of the Solar Deity (April Fools 2023).
Non-Fungible Trixie -
My Little Pony - 1992 Edition
Friendship, Art, and Magic (2018) - Celebrated Derpibooru's six year anniversary with friends.

The Virgin G4 Earth Pony Magic:
  • Never mentioned by name
  • Kirin have a more explicit connection to plants
  • Connection to animals is completely overshadowed by a pegasus
  • The leader of the animal team in Winter Wrap Up was a unicorn
  • Vague “strength to till the land”, even though mundane beasts of burden have been tilling land for thousands of years
  • You’d never even know it existed if it weren’t for Word of Faust
  • You could completely remove it by changing two lines of dialogue
The Chad G5 Earth Pony Magic:
  • Explicitly mentioned multiple times
  • Hooves glow plants grow
Make Your Mark is interesting. Zipp is the main character of the special, so it’s a bit weird structurally that Sunny gets to save the day. The special’s real strength is in exploring the ideas and characters. Where I’d recommend the movie, I’d only recommend this special to people invested in the characters.
What I really like is how someone other than Sunny gets to be the lead.
So far, I’m really liking the structure of G5. There’s no set status quo, specials actually advance the plot, and the shorts let the characters just exist in the present moment.
Background Pony #81DE
Maybe… Radiant hope is the new mysterious villain?
Let’s see, purple fur? Check, Hair blue, but with green ambient lighting(?), corrupted? Perhaps.
Remembering that Radiant is predestined to be an alicorn and maybe she was one of the main causes for the decline of the crystal empire.
Background Pony #A1EF
Zipp Hitch were the ones who got their own subplot (uncertainty over her future and dragon egg) while everyone else was relegated to the “magic is glitching” storyline.
Background Pony #E2A5
The G5 is now at its own pace.
Sunny is on her way to alicornhood, Zipp wants to explore her interests as an investigator / scientist, Hitch has become the stepfather of a dragon with a renewed interest in wildlife (he was a scout), Pipp as a drama queen in Rarity´s spirit lives out her desires, Izzy will be Pinkie, not yet Pinkie - she will be for herself. Sprout will probably cause trouble, but he does not get it because he will stumble in his hooves every time. He has become G5`s answer to Trixie. Secondary roles such as Queen Haven, Posey and Windy have begun to have an impact on the actions.
But the past has now returned, and it will come into play as Sunny and Zipp in MYM have revealed that they do not like coercion, as if ponies have to like it because they are forced, so they need answers to solve the problem of emotional instability in the pony magi. The revelation of Discord and the discovery of Canterlot will shock them, but also spur them to find out what happened. And the mysterious alicorn who may be the corrupt Flurry or a descendant of Sombra, lurks in the background, she is not after the Unity Crystals - she is after the pony magic.
The Mane 5 must protect the pony magic from her and possibly stop her claim to be the pony’s ruler as she can inform the ponies who are definitely suffering from memory loss, about the traditions of the ancient Equestria. Then Sunny must step forward and challenge the mysterious alicorn, she may have kept the information about the alicorn’s place as princesses and rulers secret from her friends.
And now that it seems that the hints from the movie have in fact mapped the G5 for the future, it means that much greater dangers than Sprout, the emotional instability of the pony magic and the mysterious alicorn are in store. We do not know how non-ponies will receive the information about the return of the pony magic, as MYM has created a hypothesis that they may have fled for fear of the ponies’ uncontrolled magic. And Grogar`s bell is a strong indication that the end boss of the G5 will be the boss villain of the entire MLP.
Also, MYM gives a new twist in future G5 episodes; cultural collision between the ponies. Moss Ice? The unicorns, the pegasi and the earth ponies come from different cultures around food, customs and economics that we saw with Izzy`s recycling of discarded things and how sparse the unicorns can be.
Background Pony #DBA4
Maybe… Radiant hope is the new mysterious villain?
Let’s see, purple fur? Check, Hair blue, but with green ambient lighting(?), corrupted? Perhaps.
Remembering that Radiant is predestined to be an alicorn and maybe she was one of the main causes for the decline of the crystal empire.
But Radiant Hope never existed in the show. She is not canon as much as I like her. Unless they pull a Dragon Ball Super Broly.
Ebalosus
Lunar Supporter - Helped forge New Lunar Republic's freedom in the face of the Solar Empire's oppressive tyrannical regime (April Fools 2023).
Silver Bit -
Sapphire -
Happy Derpy! -
Bronze Supporter -
The End wasn't The End - Found a new home after the great exodus of 2012

Build commie blocks!
After watching the latest outing, I’m a bit on-the-fence to be honest. I loved the movie, so was pretty leery at the VA change because I felt it would mean the show would essentially soft-reboot the characters. I was willing to look past that and the visual downgrade if at least the writing and storytelling was good…but unfortunately it wasn’t. Basically everything I feared has come to pass.
That’s not to say it’s bad, mind you, but is quite mediocre in a The Ticket Master type way, where you can see good ideas and potential, but it still feels a bit rough around the edges. If this was my first introduction to G5, then I wouldn’t be impressed, but I’m willing to give the show a chance because I loved the movie and one mediocre episode does not break a show.
Ebalosus
Silver Bit -
Sapphire -
Happy Derpy! -
Bronze Supporter -
The End wasn't The End - Found a new home after the great exodus of 2012

Build commie blocks!
Sunny’s is alright, but she sounds younger than she did in the movie (the character, not the VA).
Izzy’s makes her sound a tad too close to a Pinkie Pie impression, and I definitely miss what Glenn brought to the character.
Zipp’s is pretty close, butte has a similar problem to Sunny’s in that she comes across as less mature than in the movie.
Pipp’s has a case of doppelgänger syndrome, where when the writing works to her favour she sounds correct, but when it doesn’t, she doesn’t.
Hitch basically sounds like a completely different character.
Background Pony #55DA
I personally like Hitch’s new voice except for some parts where he over-exaggerates his ending words a bit too much. Like when he first realizes he could understand animals, “Did I just understand youu?!” And when he went “Whaaaaat?” At another point I can’t remember when.
GoodVibesGorgeous

Grumpy and antisocial
In Maretime Bay Adventure, Abby Trott voices Zipp, Jonathan Tan is Thunder and Josh Graham is Sprout. Something tells me we’ll hear Jonathan a lot in G5.
Background Pony #90D1
How do you feel about the voice acting in G5?
I like it. I miss the old voices but I don’t mind the new ones. I was afraid that Hitch would sound too much like a teenager as he does in TYT but that isn’t the case in MYM.
GoodVibesGorgeous

Grumpy and antisocial
@Background Pony #E0DA
It’s fine, but I think Jonathan Tan is being excessively cast (I think Rufus in his second speaking appearance, Hitch and Sparky are the only named male characters who aren’t voiced by him). I hope we get more male VAs in Make Your Mark or later Tell Your Tale episodes.
Interested in advertising on Derpibooru? Click here for information!
Champions of Equestria

Help fund the $15 daily operational cost of Derpibooru - support us financially!

Syntax quick reference: **bold** *italic* ||hide text|| `code` __underline__ ~~strike~~ ^sup^ %sub%

Detailed syntax guide