MLP G5 Discussion and Speculation Thread

GoodVibesGorgeous
Lunar Supporter - Helped forge New Lunar Republic's freedom in the face of the Solar Empire's oppressive tyrannical regime (April Fools 2023).
My Little Pony - 1992 Edition
Wallet After Summer Sale -

Grumpy and antisocial
I don’t know if I’ve brought it up here (I’m pretty sure I did), but in yesterday’s Nightly Discussion on EqD I raised the possibility that Hitch Trailblazer’s ability to talk to animals and Posey Bloom’s and some background ponies’ ability to make plants grow may actually be two halves of the same power (Earth Ponies may actually be connected to both flora and fauna). I think it would be interesting if they had two abilities, since the G4 pegasi also had two abilities: weather manipulation and flight.
Background Pony #35C2
I don’t know if I’ve brought it up here (I’m pretty sure I did), but in yesterday’s Nightly Discussion on EqD I raised the possibility that Hitch Trailblazer’s ability to talk to animals and Posey Bloom’s and some background ponies’ ability to make plants grow may actually be two halves of the same power (Earth Ponies may actually be connected to both flora and fauna). I think it would be interesting if they had two abilities, since the G4 pegasi also had two abilities: weather manipulation and flight.
That would be neat.
GoodVibesGorgeous
Lunar Supporter - Helped forge New Lunar Republic's freedom in the face of the Solar Empire's oppressive tyrannical regime (April Fools 2023).

Grumpy and antisocial
New episode of TYT was posted a few hours early and it kinda is a midquel to the MYM special. It gave another reason for the hatred Posey had for magic. Other stuff I realized: Izzy’s voice sounds a bit lower when she sings (I had a strong feeling it would happen after I watched some scenes of the current Strawberry Shortcake series, where Ana Sani voices both the title character and her aunt) and Skye Silver sounded quite British (I can’t remember if he had that accent in ANG and his first appearance in TYT). It was nice to watch the episode!
Shimmering Spectacle
Lunar Guardian - Earned a place among the ranks of the most loyal New Lunar Republic soldiers (April Fools 2023).
Roseluck - Had their OC in the 2023 Derpibooru Collab.
Elements of Harmony - Had an OC in the 2022 Community Collab
Non-Fungible Trixie -
Preenhub - We all know what you were up to this evening~
Twinkling Balloon - Took part in the 2021 community collab.
Friendship, Art, and Magic (2020) - Took part in the 2020 Community Collab
Perfect Pony Plot Provider - Uploader of 10+ images with 350 upvotes or more (Questionable/Explicit)

sTs trinity
@GoodVibesGorgeous
yep at first i thought it’s after the special, yet sunny’s old lantern that Izzy was repairing for her, convinced me otherwise, and yeah the way she dive bomb into Posey, that was likely the final straw of her being treating like that, and decided to move away from the town.
Dustcan
Magnificent Metadata Maniac - #1 Assistant
Non-Fungible Trixie -
Preenhub - We all know what you were up to this evening~
Twinkling Balloon - Took part in the 2021 community collab.
Friendship, Art, and Magic (2020) - Took part in the 2020 Community Collab
Condensed Milk - State-Approved Compensation

Dogs
Maretime Bay Day 2.0
This one surprised me not only by being a direct sequel to MYM but also by still releasing on the same day. It makes sense that MYM wouldn’t interfere with TYT’s release, but I was worried we’d only get 1 pony a week.
Unfortunately we start out really bad. Izzy was everything I’ve been worried she’d be back in Nightmare Roommate. Ditzyness can only excuse so much, but the entire laptop bit was excessive.
That said, Pipp’s “Ow it hurts!” during her crying somehow makes me laugh. I don’t know why, but the delivery was funny to me.
I’m going to be disappointed if there isn’t art of Sunny covered in whip cream. Don’t know why I want art of that but I do, and hopefully they won’t be taking the easy route and make it lewd.
Sweet but predictable resolution in recreating the festival personally for Pipp.
I also want art of Clown Sunny. And this one can be lewd. …don’t judge me.
Sure that song is catchy but I notice how they’re just recycling it. And as FOME pointed out in this blog, it kinda breaks immersion to reuse a song about ‘Trying something new.’
I gotta say this was the worst episode so far. Everything past the opening was okay, but that inciting incident hurt Izzy’s image poorly, and I couldn’t get over it for the rest of the episode. It’s a shame I couldn’t like only first episode to directly tie into MYM.
The Game is Ahoof
Opening scene and I’m guessing this is a Zipp focus ep. I’m okay with that, Zipp has been ballin in TYT. I just can’t help but notice that the sisters sure have gotten the lion’s share of focus so far.
Izzy still munching on popcorn on Zipp tossing the bowl was a nice chuckle gag. Izzy works the best when she’s in her own world. Well, except for last episode…
I noticed the pegasus and alicorn silhouettes in the mugshots on my first viewing, but again credit to FOME for pointing out that they’re likely remnants from back when the tribes were divided. Hitch still needs to clean up more than just the unicorn detainment boxes.
Pipp is Haven’s daughter. And that was clear how she needed to pose for her mugshot too.
Is it just me, or does Zipp getting one over on Pipp seem to be a recurring thing? “Function over fashion”, the cookie stealing thing from MYM, etc. I mean, I like it, it’s a pretty harmless sibling thing that also expands on them in minute ways.
Okay, I should laugh at the hair bathing machines, but I’ve been having recurring eye infections/allergies for going on a year now. So any eye pain gags/imagery makes me cringe.
Sunny is the best. Her silent rebuttal also works since this is the third time in a row where Zipp’s accusation was shot down on the basis that everyone already have their own sunglasses. Sunny knew she didn’t need to say it.
Sunny’s swag might distract you, but Izzy could be seen in the background sweating as she knew her turn was next. Nice touch.
So Izzy’s measuring finally gets addressed. Of course it would, but man was I getting anxious for an explanation the more she did it. Of course I still laugh at how now Zipp acknowledges it; everyone just kinda accept that Izzy is gonna vibe and just rolls with it.
Far from the most action intensive chase scene you’ll see, but I appreciate how Zipp’s flying came into play to cut Izzy off and Izzy’s magic repeatedly stalls Zipp. And this sequence being topped off with Izzy’s gift wrapping in a panic was good. She couldn’t just give a gift, no. It had to be done special, even if your friend was out for blood. Though I wonder what she was waiting for if all she had to do was bowtie the box.
Oh so this episode is the origin story of that sharp AF visor Zipp has in the ending sequence. I can dig that, and for a third time I’m now wanting art. Though as someone pointed out Zipp’s visor could be seen in MYM, so I guess this takes place before. These stories are very much not airing chronologically.
Okay so Zipp just misplaced her sunglasses. Understandable, but really I think she was just looking for an excuse to play detective. That’s something that’s come up a few times with her.
And the episode ends with Zipp ashamed and the other’s not amused with her. Strangely I like that. Zipp was definitely in the wrong here. Not to an excessive degree, but enough that some minor embarrassment feels fitting.
One of the better episodes. Just solid all around.
Dumpster Diving
Hitch has a point though. Pegasi can easily “cheat” in athletics even if they don’t mean to. Shoot one of the first episodes of FIM pointed that out when Dash had to tie her wings down to participate in the Running of the Leaves. So yeah, brownie points for pointing out there still needs an adjustment period for the reintegration of the tribes.
Ah this is an Izzy episode. She’s been hit or miss throughout the series, and this opening with her “unicycling” hobby (a plus) while also her sabotaging the couch (a minus) is a quick explanation of why.
Wait this takes place in the middle of MYM? That’s pretty cool. I thought Maretime Bay Day 2.0 was going to be the only direct tie-in.
I want 2 things. I want Pipp in a towel art. And I want Pipp as an angry dog art. And I’m sad to say I’ll probably only see one of them sooner or later.
“Too small.” Was that the first dick joke of G5? Or the first dick joke of MLP?
Oh no. I have extremely mixed feelings going forward here. On the one hand, Izzy driving a tricyle truck is a brilliant image. On the other I have a very bad feeling she’s going to rip those earrings off Posey’s ears. On the third hand, this still takes place in the middle of MYM so Posey has even more basis for her anger in the special with Izzy’s antics.
Izzy chasing down Posey while driving a bike, stars in the eyes of the former while horror in the eyes of the latter, has got to one of the funniest and absurd images I’ve seen in a long time and I just can’t get enough of it.
Izzy the dumpster diver. That characterization just works so well. The song was take it or leave it, but I love that Izzy now has a new hobby that compliments her old.
I do dig Izzy’s singing voice though. Is that the same VA?
Song ends with Izzy finding the ring on her horn. A year later, and I still love gags about Izzy getting things stuck on her horn.
Pipp dramas and Izzy returns to the same dumpster. This ending is great.
This episode was a coinflip on whether it would be trash or treasure I will now chuckle to myself for that hi-larious wordplay and I’m glad it landed on treasure. This was great.
GoodVibesGorgeous

Grumpy and antisocial
@Dustcan
As for Izzy’s singing: Yes, it’s the same VA. I took a look at some episodes of Strawberry Shortcake’s current series and it seems that Ana Sani has a little difficulty singing in a higher pitch. That’s why Izzy (and Strawberry Shortcake) sound slightly different singing.
Icicle Niceicle 1517
Stormfeather - For supporting the site
Strawberry Sunrise - For Patreon supporters
Tempest & Elizabat - Derpi Supporter
Artistic Detective - For awesome dedication to sleuthing out and maintaining artist tags and links
Silly Pony - Celebrated the 13th anniversary of MLP:FIM, and 40 years of MLP!
Shimmering Smile - Celebrated the 10th anniversary of Equestria Girls!
Lunar Champion - Led the charge of major battles for the New Lunar Republic, bringing swift and crushing defeat to the forces of the Solar Empire (April Fools 2023).
Flower Trio - Helped others get their OC into the 2023 Derpibooru Collab.
Crystal Roseluck - Had their OC in the 2023 Derpibooru Collab.
King Sombra - Celebrated the 10th anniversary of The Crystal Empire!

Ocs,Boops,Tickles&Memes
@Dustcan
What is FOME?
Also the 2017 movie had a dick joke in it too.
Capper saying the ponies have diseases that will make body parts fall off, one of the fish creatures looks down at his croth and covers ot in panic.
Icicle Niceicle 1517
Stormfeather - For supporting the site
Strawberry Sunrise - For Patreon supporters
Tempest & Elizabat - Derpi Supporter
Artistic Detective - For awesome dedication to sleuthing out and maintaining artist tags and links
Silly Pony - Celebrated the 13th anniversary of MLP:FIM, and 40 years of MLP!
Shimmering Smile - Celebrated the 10th anniversary of Equestria Girls!
Lunar Champion - Led the charge of major battles for the New Lunar Republic, bringing swift and crushing defeat to the forces of the Solar Empire (April Fools 2023).
Flower Trio - Helped others get their OC into the 2023 Derpibooru Collab.
Crystal Roseluck - Had their OC in the 2023 Derpibooru Collab.
King Sombra - Celebrated the 10th anniversary of The Crystal Empire!

Ocs,Boops,Tickles&Memes
Also does anyone find it weird that the “Mabe Melody” song is like the main “theme” of TYT?
It’s the song we heard on the trailer and it’s already been played twice in the series.
And outside the first appearance the lyrics don’t really work fir a lot of context since the song is about shilling Pipps salon.
Fanstar
Solar Supporter - Fought against the New Lunar Republic rebellion on the side of the Solar Deity (April Fools 2023).

Fan-0f-Everything
I wonder what Izzy usually use her motorcycle for. This is the first time we’ve seen a motor-vehicle in g5 I think, aside from Sprout’s mech and Maretime Bay cart.
Interested in advertising on Derpibooru? Click here for information!
Sky Railroad Merch Shop!

Help fund the $15 daily operational cost of Derpibooru - support us financially!

Syntax quick reference: **bold** *italic* ||hide text|| `code` __underline__ ~~strike~~ ^sup^ %sub%

Detailed syntax guide