MLP G5 Discussion and Speculation Thread

TOMNICE
Magnificent Metadata Maniac - #1 Assistant
Magical Inkwell - Wrote MLP fanfiction consisting of at least around 1.5k words, and has a verified link to the platform of their choice
Artist -

Hungarian G1 pony fan
I did not read the comic but i heard Twilight Sparkle created the crystals to threaten the ponies to live in harmony.
Is this legit? If so that sounds fucking stupid and it turns Twilight Sparkle into a tyrant who controls her country through fear. She is no better than any of the villains.
DarkObsidian
Non-Fungible Trixie -
Twinkling Balloon - Took part in the 2021 community collab.
Ten years of changes - Celebrated the 10th anniversary of MLP:FiM!
My Little Pony - 1992 Edition
Economist -

Smiling Panzerfuchs 2.0
I need moar fangirl Sunny.
Absolutly! I’m right behind you in this. ;-)
@DarkObsidian
Her dad is happy alright.
Eeyup! May he have lots of fun on his very, very, VERY long field trip. Just like AJ’s parents did back in the day. (cough, cough)
My thoughts on this:
Actually, I like Old Man Discord. And I can relate to this comparison between Izzy and Fluttershy. Logically, one would indeed have to say that Hitch is quasi G5 Fluttershy. That’s also true in terms of hero ability. But in terms of personality they differ (sometimes very much).
I mean, you have to look closely. At first glance Hitch seems like the typical show-off (including his own photo calendar), but you’ve already seen that he actually feels uncomfortable in many situations, and even starts to cry when his feelings are hurt. And I don’t mean that in a negative way. I like this soft side of him.
Izzy, on the other hand, is a kind of reversed Fluttershy. She seems absolutely extroverted and hyper. Almost Pinkie Pie level. But I often wonder if that’s really part of her personality, or just a way to hide her own insecurities and loneliness. Because you can’t forget one thing: Izzy is VERY lonely. In her head, things are playing out differently (almost borderline repression), but in reality, no (or hardly any) other unicorn cares about her and her “crazy” ideas (unicyling).
So Izzy, like Fluttershy in the beginning, is very much outside the bangs of pony society. Neither really fit in, each because of their own “unique” ways. I think that’s what Discord sees in Izzy. And that she basically always sees the good in you first. Just like Fluttershy did to critters & beasts. At least that’s my interpretation so far, but I haven’t read Issue 2 yet.
TheQuietMan
Solar Supporter - Fought against the New Lunar Republic rebellion on the side of the Solar Deity (April Fools 2023).
Non-Fungible Trixie -
Preenhub - We all know what you were up to this evening~
Wallet After Summer Sale -

House of the Arcana
@TOMNICE
It was successful, she created the crystals, entrusted somepony to protect them and some time after, then the conflict came. She didn’t quite fail although Discord’s got more beans to spill and right now the Mane 5 have to stop him from committing a House of M.
Background Pony #D8B2
Have now read the comic. Discord came up with an evasive answer without explaining what happened to Canterlot, and explained how the Unity Crystals came into being, and why; and thus we get an insight into his motive - he wants to protect the ponies from magic, because he had seen how destructive the pony magic can be when the tribes are set against each other. And thus we encounter the big problem that was shown in the MYM special, namely that when the ponies come into conflict with each other, the magic will get out of control with very destructive effects. The Mane 6 discovered this, and thus intervened - but not before Equestria and possibly the rest of the world were thrown into very dangerous situations - “which cannot be described”.
Then it means that the pony magic in G4 is too dangerous, by becoming so emotionally unstable that the magical world is torn apart as hostility and enmity spread more and more. This may have shocked Discord who in his long life had probably never realized the latent danger in the pony magic, he now realizes that harmony was not an option but necessary. This may also have shocked non-ponies who have their own magic, and may have convinced them that the ponies pose a serious danger to them. Then it is no wonder that the Mane 6 was forced to take very drastic steps that they will not voluntarily take, to save the ponies and the rest of the world.
But Discord noted that it is not just Twilight, but the entire Mane 6, that is involved in the creation of the Unity Crystals. They were there when Twilight threw the spell that gathered all the magic in the Unity Crystals, and I think it’s because they have moved the focal points all the ponies have, to the Unity Crystals. Until then, the ponies had received magic individually, now they have to do it as a collective through a unified and solitary focus point. But as we have noted in MYM, this was just to fix the problem without solving the problem itself. Which does not make it better, because then it will be easier to lose magic, and if it is returned, the risk of serious setbacks as seen in MYM is too great.
It was this Discord observed, and will thus destroy the Pegasus crystal (which he can not do, and will find out how), so he ran away from the Mane 5 which is kept away with chaos magic. He was willing to give up his magic for the sake of the ponies, and thus chose to grow older in his isolation, but it also looks like he will not comment on the time between S9 and G5. The memories of the experiences from that time, together with his friendship with Fluttershy and his stay with the ponies have made him give up his ambitions for chaos - and this may have contributed to his mental state.
So now Sunny has a big problem that even Twilight can not fix; the latent danger in the pony magic - and her first reaction is to let it be, for she thinks the unity can be maintained. But Discord has a point; as Izzy had learned; magic creates division and thus a basis for dissatisfaction that can break out at any moment. Magic is far too hypersensitive in the face of emotional fluctuations. In pre-Equestrian times, the ponies had a strict casting system in place, and this was probably possible because the pony magic was emotionally neutral, but then came the windigos.
It is now clear that these mysterious creatures had first attacked to create difficulties that caused the ponies to go against each other, (Discord described a similar one in S9, but this can be read in the comic) and then “harvest in” the pony magic that they transform into cold, snow and ice that covers all living things. It was probably the first time the ponies experienced that their own magic was turned against them. And this had created a strong impression, especially after the Hearth’s Warming, where some of the balance was restored. There will be a strong predominance of harmony and social balance in Equestria as a result.
The only solution to stabilizing the pony’s magic that may have been unstable ever since the exodus from the ponies’ homeland is to make it emotionally neutral so that it can no longer behave like a Vulcan from the Star Trek universe. And all Star Trek fans know how strong the emotions are in a Vulcan without his mental discipline. The ponies chose social balance and harmony as a solution.
But as we have seen, it is not enough. And Discord knows that.
DarkObsidian
Non-Fungible Trixie -
Twinkling Balloon - Took part in the 2021 community collab.
Ten years of changes - Celebrated the 10th anniversary of MLP:FiM!
Economist -

Smiling Panzerfuchs 2.0
Sooooooo… Roughly translated, the ponies became emotionally charged, unstable trigger bombs, capable of obliterating themselves and the world at any moment?
Heh! I see the Ponies finally became one with the fandom. Now the whole smartphone thing makes sense. They practically mutated into bronies/pegasisters.
All the while I thought we were supposed to love, cherish and care for the Ponies. Not corrupt them. I see what you’re doing there, Hasbro. I see it. ;-)
By the way, you maybe want to put this in spoilers, yes? I don’t know if all user here will be glad to get this information before they get their chance to read the comics.
Background Pony #35C2
@TOMNICE
That’s absurd. Twilight didn’t threaten ponies. She wasn’t a tyrant. I’m sorry but these people came up with a ridiculous conclusion. But there is a tyrant who wants a “perfect Equestria” to exist. We don’t know her name yet but we can call her the Shadowy Alicorn.
Background Pony #D8B2
And from the comic we have a connection with the MYM, for a mysterious figure appears already in the S9 timeline (at the end of S9) in Ponyville with visible braids around the ears just like on the mysterious alicorn which is just called “shadowy alicorn” - and she also had the same horn as Sombra. Her size suggests an original unicorn rather than an alicorn, and the horn design is seen on unicorns with an Asian background such as Mistmane who came from a separate tribe in a remote part of Equestria.
So the hypothesis of a corrupt Flurry Heart or Twilight Sparkle is now dispelled. Instead, we see an original pony with no background make her entry into the MLP. We do not know about her motives at the time, and it was definitely not Chrysalis who was not the type to repeat her actions. Then it means that the mysterious alicorn if it is her, is very old in MYM. Maybe the other alicorns can still be out there, but unable to intervene.
“False ideas of a perfect Equestria”, Discord’s words. Which suggests that he not only remembered this unicorn, but also had a story with her after the events in the S9 timeline. So we have a glimpse of the motives that the mysterious alicorn may have, but also that she did not understand how dangerous the pony magic was, as she probably had to wait for a whole millennium. And she wants a perfect Equestria in her way; which may be the exact opposite of what Sunny wants. It may even be possible that the mysterious alicorn will have a return to the old caste system.
The collapse of Equestria is still unexplained; and it is possible that we will have to wait a little longer. For it seems that Discord either can not or will not explain this.
At least Canterlot is not completely destroyed; the royal castle is intact and the damage seems to have happened on the outside of the city itself as if it had been invaded, so that residents had to flee - and that seemed to have happened during a festival. But the door and windows were nailed down, on a door was erected a sign with “closed”. So it is not just an attack from outside that much of the damage in the city suggests, towers and buildings were exposed to external forces.
And it happened “recently”, according to Izzy - “like, a hundred years”. So we can set the time of the collapse to about 100-200 years before the start of the G5. This means that Twilight may have ruled for about 800 years.
At first glance, it seems that very little has changed, but by observing the architecture of the ruins and the intact buildings, it is clear that there had been a development into the postmodern style as in the 1980-2000 period as in our world. Canterlot had buildings that were several centuries old, but the ponies also had a habit of tearing down and rebuilding buildings after fashion. In Zephyr Hills, where the airship station is located, there are signs of style from the 1960-1980 period.
So the technological level of the G5 movie may have arisen in Twilight’s time, and the pegasi was able to continue the technological development while the earth ponies may have partly stopped - and the unicorns without expertise lost a lot of know-how.
Canterlot can be rebuilt. But I think it will probably end up as a historic site as a tourist destination in the future, because politically, Equestria is not yet reunited into a political entity. And Sunny is far from the status of alicorn princess.
TOMNICE
Magical Inkwell - Wrote MLP fanfiction consisting of at least around 1.5k words, and has a verified link to the platform of their choice
Artist -

Hungarian G1 pony fan
@Background Pony #35C2
Did she not make the crystals to make the ponies “behave”? If anything she just made everything worse. Back then when the tribes started to fight then they should have feared the windigos and freeze to death. Now if they fight again then they should fear falling into an endless void. They fixed nothing.
Background Pony #D8B2
Sooooooo… Roughly translated, the ponies became emotionally charged, unstable trigger bombs, capable of obliterating themselves and the world at any moment?
Heh! I see the Ponies finally became one with the fandom. Now the whole smartphone thing makes sense. They practically mutated into bronies/pegasisters.
All the while I thought we were supposed to love, cherish and care for the Ponies. Not corrupt them. I see what you’re doing there, Hasbro. I see it. ;-)
By the way, you maybe want to put this in spoilers, yes? I don’t know if all user here will be glad to get this information before they get their chance to read the comics.
Everyone loves the fascinating vulkans of the Star Trek universe. Is this the track Hasbro has taken, by showing that the ponies - or more correctly the pony magic as first observed in the MYM - are as whimsical and explosive as Spock when he lost self-control. The romulans are what the vulcans could have become if they had chosen to embrace the emotions rather than control them. But in a magical world, it will have far too erratic consequences, as much of nature is magically controlled - as Tempest had said, “the clouds themselves are of magic”. Equestria is the most magically active of all the realms throughout Equus.
This is a logical explanation for many irregularities between G4 and G5, including these strange creatures seen on TYT and MYM, which may have been corrupted by uncontrolled pony magic as these were still ordinary creatures like snails, rats (cats, where are they ), raccoons and rabbits. And we have received a credible explanation for the non-ponies’ absence from G5 so far, they had chosen to flee just like when fleeing from the aggressive romulans, only with the difference that this is unintentional of the ponies.
Sunny will run into major problems when she comes in contact with the non-ponies, directly related to the emotional instability in the pony magic that may have occurred during the windigo attacks. For there is nothing except the kirins that indicates that the magic of the others is destructive to the surroundings. And the kirins themselves had demonstrated in S8 that they can control their emotions and become nirik completely voluntarily if they want to instead of letting it happen uncontrolled.
Sunny has a nirik problem, and like the kirins she has to figure out how to have a balance and self-control. Just like vulcans.
TOMNICE
Artist -

Hungarian G1 pony fan
@Phoenixflambe
Ah yes. The creators try to sugarcoat their horrible ideas, as always. “Controlling the citizens through fear is the only way for a perfect utopia!” G5 shows how well that worked out. Did Sombra not also use ponies’ fear to keep them in line? It is ok as long the hero does it apparently.
DerpyFast
Solar Supporter - Fought against the New Lunar Republic rebellion on the side of the Solar Deity (April Fools 2023).
Non-Fungible Trixie -
Wallet After Summer Sale -
Friendship, Art, and Magic (2018) - Celebrated Derpibooru's six year anniversary with friends.

Couple of stray thoughts/theories:
  • Storing the magic within the crystals seems like a good idea. It seems like it would make draining the magic ala Tirek or Cozy Glow more difficult. The tradeoff is that the crystals can be stolen or separated.
  • I’m wondering if the Windigoes were also sealed within the crystals.
  • Maybe the crystals cracking isn’t just damage. Maybe it’s something escaping.
  • Sunny’s alicorn magic could be an unintended byproduct of the three crystals suddenly activating. Or, the crystals could contain fragments of alicorn magic so that a newly-rebooted Equestria would also get an alicorn.
Interested in advertising on Derpibooru? Click here for information!
Champions of Equestria

Help fund the $15 daily operational cost of Derpibooru - support us financially!

Syntax quick reference: **bold** *italic* ||hide text|| `code` __underline__ ~~strike~~ ^sup^ %sub%

Detailed syntax guide