MLP G5 Discussion and Speculation Thread

Background Pony #B94F
When I saw the picture of the bus “Mare Stream” for the first time, it strikes me that this vehicle seems familiar. So I pondered a bit and realized that I had seen a very similar vehicle when I was a child in the 1980s. Back then we had TV and it was common to have cartoons early in the morning to motivate children to wake up early. It varies from morning to morning as a large number of different cartoons are shown, but they were usually from the US and Japan. I remembered seeing a scene where a flying bus - or more precisely a camper van - was seen from a passenger plane. The resemblance is striking.
So I did some searching and found out that it was the Japanese series “Magical Princess Minky Momo” aired in 1982-83. Yes, that Minky Momo, the unluckiest magical girl in the world. And it brings out very interesting angles on what is in store for the G5. Momo was sent to Earth from the kingdom Fenarinarsa, “the land of dreams in the sky” to revive hopes and dreams, and she experienced a series of adventures, where her goal was to find twelve jewels so she can return home. But the team behind the series came into conflict with the investors who were somewhat disappointed that sales of dolls and toys did not go well, and this ended in disaster. Momo was run over by a truck and killed in ep. 45, and this left the series in ruins. In the US, her fate, which came as a surprise to everyone, is the only thing that is remembered. The producers and the team could not live with this…
Then one should not forget “the curse of Minky Momo” with earthquakes every time depressive events are shown (like when she died) or when it ends. If the team behind G5 has chosen to be inspired by this, they are tempting fate!
This could suggest that Sunny is meant to “die” in G5, perhaps as a result of her upcoming fate as a permanent alicorn, we don’t know how normal ponies ascend to become alicorns, Twilight’s fate was not a little jarring when she “exploded” . And the twelve jewels that Momo was supposed to find bring to mind the license plate that shows a flag with twelve stars under “P.N”, which means Pony Nation. So Sunny like Momo has a goal to bring hope to all twelve realms of Equestria.
Then we go over to the “Mare Stream”. It was commented elsewhere that the inspiration could be taken from the movie “Spaceballs” (1987), but Momo’s “Camping Car de Gigi” from 1982 is more like the Mare Stream, although it flies like a helicopter. The size of the bus suggests that the Mane 5 can use it as an additional home, or as a base on their travels. It is large, almost human-sized. And the other vehicle that we have seen, the “Sprouticus Maximus”, is also large as a 4 x 4 vehicle, with non-steel caterpillar tracks. We know that a G5 pony is about 1 meter tall, and the “Mare Stream” appeared to be up to 2 meters wide. “Sprouticus Maximus” is also equally wide as far as can be seen. This suggests that there are standard measurements for vehicles, and thus driving routes for these.
It might suggest that the vehicular culture of Equestria/Pony Nation is different from our own, as they seemed to prefer large vehicles with wide tires and little ground pressure. Passenger cars may have been completely absent in favor of camper vans, buses, trucks - and this may indicate that the population composition of Equestria has not changed from G4 to G5. Large areas with many small and larger population concentrations in limited regions. It is possible that the railway lines may have been replaced by motorways, which may be two-lane wide roads with many stops. We do not yet know what kind of engine “Mare Stream” will have and what will make it fly. As vehicles will have caterpillar tracks and wide tires, this means that there are varied standards on the roads through the country, such as these traditional roads seen in G4.
The two vehicles shown so far in the G5 then suggest that there was never a break between the G4 and G5 in the matter of technology development. It seemed to have evolved slowly but surely - right in line with the ponies’ technology development when Celestia ruled for one thousand years. But we have yet to see what the pegasi have developed, we haven’t seen airships or planes in G5, and Zipp who helped build the “Mare Stream” certainly had suitable technology from Zephyr Hills.
Dustcan
Magnificent Metadata Maniac - #1 Assistant
Lunar Supporter - Helped forge New Lunar Republic's freedom in the face of the Solar Empire's oppressive tyrannical regime (April Fools 2023).
Non-Fungible Trixie -
Preenhub - We all know what you were up to this evening~
Twinkling Balloon - Took part in the 2021 community collab.
Friendship, Art, and Magic (2020) - Took part in the 2020 Community Collab
Wallet After Summer Sale -
Condensed Milk - State-Approved Compensation

Dogs
Another Pony’s Trash
Good morning in Ponyville shimmers♪ Good morning in Ponyville shi~nes♪
I never thought about it before but what is the population of Equestria anyway? AFAIK the only named places are Maritime Bay, Canterlot Heights and Bridlewood. And the other 2 sure don’t seem to have lost too much of their citizenry to overcrowd Maritime Bay. But yeah I wonder if there’s any deeper reason for why this place seems to be the tourist destination of Equestria. Best guess is that it’s now the home of the only known psuedo-alicorn and 2 princess celebrities.
I just now realized that “Clip Trot” is pony Tik Tok and that revelation will be my Joker origin story.
I laughed so hard at Posey’s Karen moment. The fact that the complaint board is itself likely a reference to Hitch suggesting it to her in MYM makes it even better, but both the pettiness of the complaints (unicorns are surprised too often and smell, and pegasi create too much draft when they fly) and the punchline that she’s literally standing outside the window airing both old and new grievances is hilarious.
“Oh pony baloney these news ponies…” and later one “It’s time to take out the trash!” Word play has been a thing with Sunny on and off for a while and I’m all for it.
Why is selfie sticks so popular? It might fit the theme of useless trash overflowing the town but I don’t see any lying around. Also it took me a couple views but I just realized the joke behind the megaphones is they are creating “noise pollution”. Nice.
The dopey look all the rickshaw wallahs (and yes I did have to google that) have are an amusing sight in of themselves, but they still having it as they almost run down pedestrians is an extra absurd image and I love it.
She never gets the camera to focus on her but Gloomy Sonnet is in a few background shots. I felt it important to mention that.
It still saddens me that we don’t have more art of Sunny wearing caps. She rocks them so well and I don’t have the talent to fix this error.
Is that Kenneth or the unnamed pigeon? I’m surprised we only see one of them.
Once again Pipp’s celebrity status means something as her perpetual facetiming is acknowledged and has a point in-story. That’s nice, I keep not expecting this any time she pulls out her phone.
I had a PHYSICAL NEED! to hear that one house moving unicorn talk again. And she does, but they changed her voice actress. This is my Joker origin story.
Posey is one of the ones leading the charge to help out. Good for her.
The style of joke the “there’s no tomorrow!?” bit does never works for me. It’s about the only joke this episode that wasn’t just not funny, it just plain didn’t land.
I keep saying it’s the little things that prop up these episodes higher than they really are. The image of the raccoonicorn being sad that there’s no more garbage is one of those; is not funny on its own, but it and other “filler jokes” help contribute to the greater enjoyment of the whole episode.
So Sunny can just declare random holidays now. I’m pretty sure she’s still not the official town or tribe leader in the same way Haven or apparently Alphabrittle are, but she’s definitely come far from being the town outcast.
The credits uses “Rufus” instead of “Hoofdini”. Imma make a game out of seeing which name is used anytime he gets a speaking role.
I like this episode. The moral was fine and pretty much all the scenes work. Posey got an interesting portrayal this time around, as a nag in her first scene to a helpful mare in the second. It’s nice to see she gets a role that isn’t one note despite having only 5 minutes to work with. Her getting snubbed in her first scene was hilarious alongside the rest of the scene’s comedy, but her getting cut off in the second felt kinda flat. Sunny being all “yeah I heard it all before” makes sense, but as I said before Posey getting dunked on works best when she deserves it, and she was being a good girl in that scene so eh. But I’m rambling, if the last episode had the worst use of Posey so far then this one had one of the best uses of her.
Frankly I think it was a missed opportunity to not bring up Hitch’s dislike of litter here. It was a running gag in both the movie and MYM, and this entire episode was about litter!
GoodVibesGorgeous
Lunar Supporter - Helped forge New Lunar Republic's freedom in the face of the Solar Empire's oppressive tyrannical regime (April Fools 2023).
My Little Pony - 1992 Edition

Grumpy and antisocial
I had a PHYSICAL NEED! to hear that one house moving unicorn talk again. And she does, but they changed her voice actress. This is my Joker origin story.
The misadvantages of being a unnamed background pony. But I think Jenna Warren voiced said pony just as good as Kimberly Ann Truong (I’m still not sure if she was the one who did the unnamed unicorn’s voice the first time, I’m just assuming because she sounded like a high-pitched, nasally version of Posey).
GoodVibesGorgeous

Grumpy and antisocial
The misadvantages of being a unnamed background pony. But I think Jenna Warren voiced said pony just as good as Kimberly Ann Truong (I’m still not sure if she was the one who did the unnamed unicorn’s voice the first time, I’m just assuming because she sounded like a high-pitched, nasally version of Posey).
And I now realize that Maitreyi Ramakrishnan is currently the only VA in the main cast who hasn’t had an additional role on TYT yet. But it may change soon (if the celebrities in Disney’s Hamster & Gretel voice cast had additional roles, so can she).
Mr.Myoozik
StarTrix Forever! - Derpi Supporter
Silly Pony - Celebrated the 13th anniversary of MLP:FIM, and 40 years of MLP!
Shimmering Smile - Celebrated the 10th anniversary of Equestria Girls!
Solar Hero - Went above and beyond for the Solar Deity, drawing from the power of the sun itself to bring balance to the fight against the Lunar Insurrection (April Fools 2023).
Flower Trio - Helped others get their OC into the 2023 Derpibooru Collab.
Roseluck - Had their OC in the 2023 Derpibooru Collab.
King Sombra - Celebrated the 10th anniversary of The Crystal Empire!
A Lovely Nightmare Night - Celebrated the 12th anniversary of MLP:FIM!
Princess of Love - Extra special version for those who participated in the Canterlot Wedding 10th anniversary event by contributing art.
Tree of Harmony - Drew someone's OC for the 2022 Community Collab

Music Connoisseur
If they’re planning on throwing some special festival dedicated to cleaning the town up, wouldn’t that mean that the town is gonna get dirty and full of trash again after the festivities end?
Dustcan
Non-Fungible Trixie -

Dogs
It looked less like a festival and more a cleanliness awareness program.
The real issue is how often this holiday comes around. Once a year ain’t gonna mean anything in keeping the town clean. Once a month would be about right but still mean piles of trash in between. If they are having a town-wide cleaning session on a weekly basis though then yeah.
TheQuietMan
Solar Supporter - Fought against the New Lunar Republic rebellion on the side of the Solar Deity (April Fools 2023).
Non-Fungible Trixie -

House of the Arcana
So it appears the question on the Royal Pegasi getting exposed will be addressed in comic issue 4. That means the show won’t talk about it.
Dustcan
Non-Fungible Trixie -

Dogs
We’ve seen Izzy dumpster diving and Hitch showing much disapproval over litter.
The episode states that Maretime Bay has become a popular tourist destination. So it’s less a lack of care on a policy level and more tourists making a mess during their stay.
Background Pony #B94F
Now that is very interesting. The final reveal from IDW #4 shows signs of character development in Pipp who may have been surprised by the reactions to her latest “report” and is beginning to think.
She probably hadn’t understood the ramifications of her revelations in the Discord arc, and realized that the pippsqueaks hadn’t quite gotten over the discovery that their biggest idol couldn’t fly. So she wants to tell about the background story from the movie, to get forgiveness and a second chance from her fans. But by going to her mother and explaining what she wants to do, proved that she has become insightful - a good step for her. Queen Haven will give her important advice, such as that as a princess, Pipp is not as free to do as she wants.
This shows the gulf between TYT and the comics; the former are unfortunately a little too shallow for character development and major changes, while the comics provide greater depth and more insight into the characters, the plot and the background. TYT is a bit too nice and simple.
At the very least, now Queen Haven and the other heads of state in Equestria will learn about Discord and the truth behind the Unity Crystals - although the mother is embarrassed by her younger daughter, she obviously hadn’t yet learned this when Pipp contacted her. The entire population of Equestria will learn about Canterlot, and since the ruins are likely in the Pegasi Empire, the Queen is going to seal off the area. Especially if Discord can be there, as they all know how dangerous he is.
The latest TYT episode shows that Maretime Bay obviously does not have its own town council, this is not unusual in many European countries where large and small towns form part of a municipality, and then it means that the earth ponies only have representatives. Alphabittle was chosen by the unicorns as their leader in a collective, while Queen Haven represented a hereditary monarchy - and Phyllis may have been the representative of Maretime Bay, possibly chosen by local officials including Sheriff Hitch.
That may explain why Phyllis was not often seen in TYT, as a representative in addition to being the CEO of one of the largest companies in the country which may have given her great political power, she has to go out and meet the other representatives in the municipality or the realm , since we do not know what kind of political structure they have. She can appoint deputies in her place, so it is possible that Sunny gained power through Hitch who is one of the deputies in Maretime Bay, but only at their mercy. When Phyllis is elsewhere, Sunny is the interim representative of Maretime Bay as long as she has the support of the officials.
This means that Maretime Bay has less political status than Ponyville which was given autonomous rights with extended self-government through the mayor and her administration who had to govern not only the town but also the entire lower part of the valley in the shadow of Canterlot. This is revealed by the Equestria Games in S4, ep. 24 when the CMC planted a flag in the stadium. The equestria flag in G4 shows 37 stars, and then it means that there were 37 political units from a duchy to an autonomous municipality.
From the G5 movie with the license plate, we know that there can be 12 political units in Equestria, and Maretime Bay is not one of them. As there are fewer over time, it must mean that faster communications were an important factor, it took many hours even by train between Ponyville and Canterlot. This could mean that isolated communities across Equestria would be able to seek each other out and divide into realms by race, the earth ponies, pegasi and unicorns, by having faster communications like highways.
Bridlewood may be a result of this, because Alphabittle was not surprised to see unknown unicorns in the movie, so it means that this community was not isolated from other unicorn communities in Equestria. We haven’t seen the condition of the roads when Sunny and Izzy went to Zephyr Hills, only when they went down to Bridlewood - and these seem well-used and well-maintained. But while Maretime Bay seemed to lie within a possible ancient realm as Maretonia, Bridlewood seemed to have loose connections with the others, as collective governance might be the ideal there.
TheQuietMan
Solar Supporter - Fought against the New Lunar Republic rebellion on the side of the Solar Deity (April Fools 2023).
Non-Fungible Trixie -

House of the Arcana
@Background Pony #B94F
I think it’s simply about the upcoming cancellation she’s gonna received. I’m not surprised some ponies are still unhappy after like what appeared to be 6 months after make your mark if the story’s any indication.
Interested in advertising on Derpibooru? Click here for information!
Champions of Equestria

Help fund the $15 daily operational cost of Derpibooru - support us financially!

Syntax quick reference: **bold** *italic* ||hide text|| `code` __underline__ ~~strike~~ ^sup^ %sub%

Detailed syntax guide