MLP G5 Discussion and Speculation Thread

GoodVibesGorgeous
Lunar Supporter - Helped forge New Lunar Republic's freedom in the face of the Solar Empire's oppressive tyrannical regime (April Fools 2023).
My Little Pony - 1992 Edition
Wallet After Summer Sale -

Grumpy and antisocial
The fourth episode of the MYM features two new additions in the voice cast: Emily McKim and Tymika Tafari. But, since only the Mane 5, Sparky, Misty and Opaline are properly credited, the only way to find out who they voice is asking them.
CORDZ2000
Solar Hero - Went above and beyond for the Solar Deity, drawing from the power of the sun itself to bring balance to the fight against the Lunar Insurrection (April Fools 2023).

Draconequues Lover zcord
C2 Ep 3:
A cute sister bonding story for zipp and pipp, the conflict felt realistic and omg haven is a great singer
Dustcan
Magnificent Metadata Maniac - #1 Assistant
Lunar Supporter - Helped forge New Lunar Republic's freedom in the face of the Solar Empire's oppressive tyrannical regime (April Fools 2023).
Non-Fungible Trixie -
Preenhub - We all know what you were up to this evening~
Twinkling Balloon - Took part in the 2021 community collab.
Friendship, Art, and Magic (2020) - Took part in the 2020 Community Collab
Condensed Milk - State-Approved Compensation

Dogs
Going into episode 3 and my biggest gripe is now simple the characters are. Zipp is always in detective mode rather than jumping at the opportunity when something peaks her interest, Pipp is always about her music rather than also caring about her shop and Izzy is just…loud.
Sunny hasn’t really gotten much of a role yet so waiting on her turn. Hitch is the only one so far that actually seems to have even a modicum of depth.
After that the animation is just meh. Compare Sunny’s literal star-eyed fangirling when she met Discord in the comics or the low-key horror when Izzy used her toothbrush to clean her ear in TYT to her very subdued expression upon seeing Twilight’s message. None of that expressiveness carries over to MYM. On that same point everyone sounds too loud in MYM even though their character models look like they should be speaking softly.
GoodVibesGorgeous

Grumpy and antisocial
Something I realized is how Mayflower’s mane changed colors between A New Generation and the Make Your Mark special. And I do remember that in a brief scene from one of the first episodes of the MYM series that her mane very briefly returned to the ANG color in a shot.
DerpyFast
Solar Supporter - Fought against the New Lunar Republic rebellion on the side of the Solar Deity (April Fools 2023).
Non-Fungible Trixie -
Friendship, Art, and Magic (2018) - Celebrated Derpibooru's six year anniversary with friends.

So I just saw Growing Pains.
I was working on this post about Star Trek, and how the experience of watching the premier of TNG reminded me very strongly of watching ANG. I think Star Trek analogies are going to be very useful when looking at G5. So far, Make Your Mark is what I would imagine a direct-to-DVD barbie show would be like, except it just happens to have interesting ideas, with characters and a setting that I’m invested in. There’s a term for the point where a show gets noticeably better, that has its origins in Star Trek: TNG. It’s oddly fitting that this term is “Growing The Beard”. G4 had “the spice”, but needed to actually do something with it. G5 is actually doing things, but it needs “the spice”.
One of the things that annoyed me about G4 was how The Mane Six struggled to evolve beyond what was initially established about them. At the start of ANG, Hitch is in a position of comfort and control, and there’s no reason for him to want things to change. After The Movie, things have changed, he’s no longer in control, and has to adapt. This is something he has in common with Pipp, where the image they project is broken down.
There are some weird timeline inconsistencies. It doesn’t make sense for this episode and “Neigh Fever” to have both happened.
The editing is remarkably good. I really like how they’ll end a scene with something, then they’ll cut to something similar in a different scene.
All the way back in Season Two, people thought that Rainbow Dash wearing sunglasses was a “Deal With It” reference, so it’s funny to me that this episode contains the actual “Deal With It” sunglasses.
I feel like people should preface spoilered text with what episode they’re talking about.
LoreJuniper
Solar Supporter - Fought against the New Lunar Republic rebellion on the side of the Solar Deity (April Fools 2023).

#1 Misty Stan
@Lord WyrmSpawN
Yep! Some of the people who worked on it posted about her using her full name. Considering she likely doesnt have one due to being rescued as a kid, this ig is her new fullname. Misty Brightdawn
Dustcan
Magnificent Metadata Maniac - #1 Assistant
Non-Fungible Trixie -
Preenhub - We all know what you were up to this evening~
Twinkling Balloon - Took part in the 2021 community collab.
Friendship, Art, and Magic (2020) - Took part in the 2020 Community Collab
Condensed Milk - State-Approved Compensation

Dogs
3 episodes in and nothing irreconcilable so far.
They do have an interesting interaction though. You need to watch TYT to know where Zipp got her detective goggles, but you need to watch MYM to know where Izzy got her scooter.
DerpyFast
Non-Fungible Trixie -
Friendship, Art, and Magic (2018) - Celebrated Derpibooru's six year anniversary with friends.

@Dustcan
You have to do some digging, but:
  • Izzy already has her scooter in the TYT episode Dumpster Diving, which takes place during MYM Chapter 1. (She’s looking for a ring to fix the lantern)
  • Izzy gets her scooter in MYM Chapter 2, episode 1, which takes place after Chapter 1
It’s also difficult to reconcile MYM 2 episode 2 with the TYT episode Neigh Fever. In the TYT episode, Dahlia hadn’t learned magic yet, but learns it, then causes the pollen incident. In MYM 2:2, Dahlia can use magic, and the episode is also about the potential dangers of earth pony magic.
Interested in advertising on Derpibooru? Click here for information!
My Little Ties crafts shop

Help fund the $15 daily operational cost of Derpibooru - support us financially!

Syntax quick reference: **bold** *italic* ||hide text|| `code` __underline__ ~~strike~~ ^sup^ %sub%

Detailed syntax guide