MLP G5 Discussion and Speculation Thread

Background Pony #563E
After that the animation is just meh. Compare Sunny’s literal star-eyed fangirling when she met Discord in the comics or the low-key horror when Izzy used her toothbrush to clean her ear in TYT to her very subdued expression upon seeing Twilight’s message. None of that expressiveness carries over to MYM.
Agreed. I don’t mind the animation, but I wish they went with one that let them to do more expressions. Even though TYT art isn’t great, I’d say it beats them with that aspect.
DerpyFast
Solar Supporter - Fought against the New Lunar Republic rebellion on the side of the Solar Deity (April Fools 2023).
Non-Fungible Trixie -
My Little Pony - 1992 Edition
Wallet After Summer Sale -
Friendship, Art, and Magic (2018) - Celebrated Derpibooru's six year anniversary with friends.

@Dustcan
I mean it’s difficult to put both episodes on a timeline. Dahlia causes a city-wide problem with the pollen, but it’s not until the incident with the rolling fruit that Hitch starts expressing concerns and tries to place a ban on earth pony magic.
Dustcan
Magnificent Metadata Maniac - #1 Assistant
Lunar Supporter - Helped forge New Lunar Republic's freedom in the face of the Solar Empire's oppressive tyrannical regime (April Fools 2023).
Non-Fungible Trixie -
Preenhub - We all know what you were up to this evening~
Twinkling Balloon - Took part in the 2021 community collab.
Friendship, Art, and Magic (2020) - Took part in the 2020 Community Collab
Condensed Milk - State-Approved Compensation

Dogs
Nah that’s easy to explain as the MYM episode being the straw that broke Hitch’s patience. The TYT episode could easily take place before this one and be a contributing factor for Hitch’s frustration at the start of MYM.
GoodVibesGorgeous
Lunar Supporter - Helped forge New Lunar Republic's freedom in the face of the Solar Empire's oppressive tyrannical regime (April Fools 2023).

Grumpy and antisocial
Finally, I watched all eight episodes! The animation was fine, despite the clipping issues with Hitch’s sash and Jazz and Opaline’s manes, and the songs were great to listen to. I really hope Misty eventually gets her own happily ever after. And I’m a little scared about the evolution of Equestria’s magic, I can’t quite explain why.
Dustcan
Non-Fungible Trixie -

Dogs
Ep 4. Sunny either says “I’m over the Lunamoon” or “I’m over the Lulamoon”.
Either way she is bae. Also Posey finally appears. In a background shot but hey we’re only 2 minutes into the episode so far.
DerpyFast
Solar Supporter - Fought against the New Lunar Republic rebellion on the side of the Solar Deity (April Fools 2023).
Non-Fungible Trixie -
Friendship, Art, and Magic (2018) - Celebrated Derpibooru's six year anniversary with friends.

@Dustcan
I’ll accept that.
Also, it’s strange that Izzy was able to lift a streetcar at the end of ANG, but struggled to lift her scooter, but that can be explained by her just being roided up from the recently-activated unity crystals.
Background Pony #CBDB
The episode “Izzy Does It”. The 3D animation is of course a mixture of very bad, bad, good and very good due to budget and work intensity. Very little to do anything about, so we can only hope that it will improve over the years.
Now over to the lore;
  1. Misty’s horn is asymmetrical, she is an orphan, adopted by Opaline and has no cutie mark. It is clear to see that she wants to be accepted by her adoptive mother who is cold towards her, so she is very eager in her mission. It is obvious that Opaline and Misty have a complicated relationship that will be headed for a breakup when Misty gives up her attempts for recognition and love from her mother.
  2. Very interesting to find out that the mirror box that Misty secretly gave Sunny was meant to spy on the Mane 5, but it stopped working as soon as it was brought into the Crystal Brighthouse. We know that advanced magic is unknown to the Mane 5, so it can only be the Unity Crystals blocking the signals to Opaline’s Dark Castle.
  3. It says there; “cloaking enchantment” - “like that one used to be around Equestria” - mean what I think it means? Does that mean that Equestria is shielded from the rest of the world with a magical shield that prevents those on the outside from seeing in?
  4. An older scooter, which has been left out there. That then means that motorized vehicles exist in G5 and likely existed before Equestria’s collapse. Hard to see what kind of motor is in the scooter, but it could be battery powered.
  5. The cutie marks that glow do not do so when magic is used, but this happens as a result of the magic user’s emotional disposition, as there is an abundance of positive emotions. We already saw in Chapter 1 that this is due to the Unity Crystals, but don’t yet know why cutie marks could exist before the magic returns. Misty is an adult pony without a cutie mark. It is possible that this may be due to the proximity of the separate crystals. Maybe these “leaks” active magic that affects the ponies in the surrounding lands, and Misty was too far away.
northern haste
Silly Pony - Celebrated the 13th anniversary of MLP:FIM, and 40 years of MLP!
Shimmering Smile - Celebrated the 10th anniversary of Equestria Girls!
Roseluck - Had their OC in the 2023 Derpibooru Collab.
King Sombra - Celebrated the 10th anniversary of The Crystal Empire!
A Lovely Nightmare Night - Celebrated the 12th anniversary of MLP:FIM!
Cool Crow - "Caw!" An awesome tagger
A Really Hyper Artist - 500+ images under their artist tag
Elements of Harmony - Had an OC in the 2022 Community Collab
Non-Fungible Trixie -

Enter if you dare
Izzy building the scooter she already had until your tales does seem to be a bit of a continuity yoga but I wouldn’t say if latter makes the short series non canon just yet.
Possibly the toon boom model Was made for a future short and was used in a dumpster diving one anyway
Background Pony #C1B1
Opaline mentions she hasn’t seen Dragonfire in 100 moons. So maybe we have a somewhat time stamp between G4 and G5?
Also question; do I still need to put spoilers tags on stuff or can I stop doing that?
Background Pony #C1B1
Ah, I meant do I still need to put spoilers on my comments. I’ve caught up with all the episodes.
Dustcan
Non-Fungible Trixie -

Dogs
My thought too.
Either Luna was remembered with a turn of phrase, which does make sense, or Trixie has been remembered has been immortalized with an idiom, which makes less sense but is just hilarious.
Yeah that’s what I’m getting at.
The scooter is a bit of snarl as far as continuity is concerned. But honestly it’s such a minute detail that who cares?
If it’s something major like, I don’t know, Sunny gets permanent physical alicorn limbs but everyone keeps one cutie mark in one series while the other shows everyone getting both cutie marks but Sunny not being a permanent alicorn then that’s some pretty big story plotholes.
Background details can be glossed over. Actual irreconcilable plotholes not so much.
Background Pony #C1B1
I’ll go with my headcanon that Luna and Trixie were somehow mixed together (like it happens in RL myths) maybe because of Luna’s association with the moon and Trixie’s last name. The travelling show magician alicorn of the moon sounds hilarious to me.
DerpyFast
Non-Fungible Trixie -

So I just saw Portrait of a Princess, and it was really good. It might even be the best thing since The Movie.
This is our first MYM episode that has a central theme tying everything together. And that theme is obligation. Pipp’s relationship with social media blurs the line between obligation and compulsion. And despite wanting to bail on portrait day, Zipp still feels like she’s failed in her obligation to be a good big sister. Zipp and Pipp have a great dynamic, and it’s nice that we finally get a longer story to explore it.
Pipp’s overarching journey seems to be about being demystified in the eyes of her fans. In ANG, she’s this godlike icon that gets exposed. In ClipTrot, she encourages her fans to do their own thing instead of imitating her. Now in this episode, she needs to be rescued by her fans.
Queen Haven continues to be a great character with hidden depth. She supports and respects Zipp’s choice to become a detective. Despite being The Queen, she still personally raised her daughters. She’s so relieved that they’re safe that she doesn’t bother getting the seaweed off before doing the portrait.
We haven’t seen Sunny’s natural curiosity on display since The Movie, so it’s nice to see it here. I think “curiosity” is the thing Zipp and Sunny share.
Then there’s Misty and Opaline. I like that their dynamic isn’t just “smart minion dumb leader” or “competent leader bumbling minion”. Opaline occasionally listens to Misty’s suggestions.
Overall, I think this one marks a turning point for the series.
Interested in advertising on Derpibooru? Click here for information!
Ponies Online! - April 13-14

Help fund the $15 daily operational cost of Derpibooru - support us financially!

Syntax quick reference: **bold** *italic* ||hide text|| `code` __underline__ ~~strike~~ ^sup^ %sub%

Detailed syntax guide