MLP G5 Discussion and Speculation Thread

Dustcan
Magnificent Metadata Maniac - #1 Assistant
Lunar Supporter - Helped forge New Lunar Republic's freedom in the face of the Solar Empire's oppressive tyrannical regime (April Fools 2023).
Non-Fungible Trixie -
Preenhub - We all know what you were up to this evening~
Twinkling Balloon - Took part in the 2021 community collab.
Friendship, Art, and Magic (2020) - Took part in the 2020 Community Collab
Wallet After Summer Sale -
Condensed Milk - State-Approved Compensation

Dogs
And now all episodes watched.
NGL I had more fun watching a couple TYT than the entirety of MYM. Not bad, but definitely a downgrade from what we’re used to.
Starless
Shimmering Smile - Celebrated the 10th anniversary of Equestria Girls!
Lunar Champion - Led the charge of major battles for the New Lunar Republic, bringing swift and crushing defeat to the forces of the Solar Empire (April Fools 2023).
Roseluck - Had their OC in the 2023 Derpibooru Collab.
King Sombra - Celebrated the 10th anniversary of The Crystal Empire!
Artist -
Non-Fungible Trixie -

Prog rock pony
I’ve seen all episodes and MYM isn’t terrible, but not very good either (still better than season 9 of FiM). Sparky like all baby characters is cringe and I feel like he exists solely because the writers wanted a G5 version of Spike. He’s like if Flurry Heart and Spike had a baby.
Misty’s going to redeem herself after Opaline betrays her, having lied about giving her a cutie mark, isn’t she? This always happens. Everyone will see this coming.
I miss G4. G5 isn’t the same and I wish it had been separate from G4.
Starless
Lunar Champion - Led the charge of major battles for the New Lunar Republic, bringing swift and crushing defeat to the forces of the Solar Empire (April Fools 2023).
Artist -
Non-Fungible Trixie -

Prog rock pony
@Phoenixflambe
Yes, but then again, this usually happens with any kind of media. Misty would give Opaline power, then Opaline would either abandon her or try to kill her without giving her a cutie mark like she promised, and then the mane five will reform Misty who will then defeat Opaline.
I’m kinda convinced that Starlight and Spike got together and are Sparky’s ancestors since one of the episodes was pretty much A Royal Problem done all over again (and it wasn’t nearly as good).
Background Pony #CBDB
Have now seen the other seven episodes in Chapter 2, here it is very obvious that the writers bet on minimal world creation through the “keep it simple, stupid” rule (KISS) so that in many places it feels like an insult, and the logic did not hang quite right in many places. The misery from the preparatory work on the movie continues in the MYM C2, although it picked up towards the end.
E2; Growing Pains;
  1. Clear signs of greed in the baby dragon judging by his behavior, and it could be seen that the restlessness in the G4 dragons is hereditary. Hitch does a fine job as a father, but a bit too structural, as Izzy pointed out.
  2. Opaline knows that Sunny is an alicorn, but did not know that she could transform from earth pony to alicorn and back, this was discovered later. How did she find out? Maybe she sensed the alicorn powers in Sunny.
  3. Opaline did not sabotage the earth pony magic, here the writers had messed up a valid opportunity - instead the magic sabotaged itself. Instead, she reveals that she intended to assimilate magic, the stronger the better.
  4. This episode is the first of several with OP role behavior of central figures, Hitch was simply not himself. This suggests that the authors had fumbled during the manuscript work.
  5. Most important of all; Twilight Sparkle. It is now obvious that this is a recording, but there is so much that is so strange that one wonders if the team behind MYM - TYT and IDW Comics do not seem to share design and lore with each other so far - is too unfamiliar with the MLP and its lore as underlying tendencies, it came in later episodes.
”- If You´re seeing this, magic is now more powerful than it´s ever been… [ ] and Earth Pony magic has been activated for the first time in the history of Equestria! Magic is alive. Always changing, growing stronger.. [ ] There are evil forces out there who will want to exploit it. Once a pony tried to steal all the magic in Equestria for herself - and almost succeeded. I did all that I could to protect it from… [ static] by summoning all of my magical strength to achieve placing the magic in the crystals and the [static]. But the spell is broken! You are exposed to the world once again. You must watch out for Op- [static] Before she op… [static] I´m with You.[end].“
This is character assassination as far as it goes, and literally rendered the G4 lore useless. She was clear about the evolution of magic and knew that it will become stronger with time, and predicted that the earth pony magic will become so strong - but “the first time” - what? This is 120% KISS. She then admitted that she took everyone’s magic to protect it from the enemy - shielding Equestria from the rest of the world. This is not Twilight Sparkle from S8-S10 in G4. This is a stranger. The IDW comics completely break with MYM on this basis, where the more experienced MLP writers get it right.
And this is shown in E6 when Sunny told the story of Twilight, she had concluded based on the events of E2 that it was Twilight who caused Equestria’s collapse because she took magic from the ponies because she wanted to protect them (Sunny didn’t mention the unknown enemy) so that the various tribes split and remained isolated from each other. In the movie, she got the impression that the separation and the loss of magic happened at the same time. She defended Twilight’s actions by stating that this was due to her love for the ponies.
The character assassination is elaborated. And it seems that Sunny thinks there was a conflict when an earth pony was injured by a unicorn. Is this intended for toddlers younger than seven? If this is how the MYM team treats G4, then it is impossible for G5 to move forward, when it is to be detached from G4.
But what is completely incomprehensible is the phrase “I´m with You” - this is said in a recording intended for ponies many, many years later. This confuses both children and adults. Two important sentences are missing; “- and the -”, it meant that it is not only the Unity Crystals; and “Before she op…”, what would Opaline open if she has the ponies’ magic?
E3; Portrait of a Princess
  1. Here the authors did a good job with the two princesses and their mother.
  2. We learned that the flower from the trailer, thought to be intended for sabotage, was instead to lay a trap for the sisters and cleared them of the road. Misty willingly agreed to this, but Opaline was the mare behind the plan which was an indirect assassination attempt.
E4; Ali-Conned
  1. Although the ponies had obviously forgotten how important alicorns are, it seems that it wasn’t just the novelty value and uniqueness that attracted them to Sunny. This may indicate herd instincts where a pack will follow the strongest among them, and that this is very deep in the ponies who do not seem to understand why.
  2. Opaline discovered through her espionage that Sunny could transform, it was probably the first time she was able to observe the other alicorn up close and this amazed her.
  3. Opaline has an unusual perception that the alicorns are special with special privileges and powers given to them. From the IDW comics when she pushed Fluttershy away, it was not possible to see the details on her, but it is possible that she was an alicorn rather than a unicorn.
  4. Opaline didn’t see a problem with sharing power with others only if they are of the same kind as her, but Sunny doesn’t want power, she wants to help others, inspire others and be there for the ponies - that makes her a much better alicorn than Opaline.
  5. Sunny doesn’t want to be an alicorn, which suggests that she has a healthy dose of humility and confidence even when in doubt. This infuriates Opalina in what was called Vegeta style as she realized Sunny’s innermost desires and that she does not want to be a “proper” alicorn.
  6. Sunny wished she could just transform to help others, but she doesn’t know that this is just the first step. She is definitely G4-Twilight’s successor, a worthy representative of the Magic of Friendship. (A bit uncertain about G5-Twilight since E2)
E5; Cutie Mark Mix-Up
  1. Interesting story taken straight out of G4 where cutie marks are shown to be important to the pony’s personality and ability.
  2. Opaline admitted that she does not have her magic as an alicorn, that she had been stripped or “wing clipped” by Twilight, which could be seen when she spread her wings. She needs magic - magic of the right kind as from the lantern with the “Prisbeam power”.
  3. Very strange episode where an aging pony took a picture of Sunny and Hitch under the words “chaos and smoothies”. This is detached from the rest of E5, perhaps a reference to the IDW Comics?
  4. A foal had a book about a tree that makes crystals, this is a reference to the Harmony Tree of G4.
E6; The Traditional Unicorn Sleep-Over
  1. The little dragon Sparky had been shown to have unusually powerful magic in contrast to the rule in G4, and that might mean that there is more magic for non-ponies as well. The dragonfire has shown great potential, in that it is used to transform objects, as a continuation of Spike’s dragonfire to transport letters over very long distances. Completely uncontrolled.
  2. Izzy is definitely Pinkie’s legacy.
  3. Sunny’s story about Twilight was brief, but it is frightening that nothing is said about the Mane 6, and this is in strong conflict with the G5 movie. Here the MYM team had broken with the team behind the movie.
  4. In response to the story of Twilight, Misty explained that the magic was gathered in one and the same pony, the alicorn queen. As in E2, this is not in line with the lore of the G4, and from the IDW comics there are hints that Twilight reigned for a long time. So Misty’s story may be false, but Opaline may claim the title of Queen in the conflict with Twilight. Twilight took the magic from the alicorn queen who had become powerless, a shadow of what she had been. This suggests that Twilight had defeated Opaline and stripped her of the alicorn magic.
  5. Again one is confronted with the fact that Twilight had created a bubble around Equestria, to prevent Opaline from returning and reclaiming her right. This is KISS. This smacks of pettiness in the relationship with both the ponies and the rest of the world. And this “reveals” that Equestria is only a tenth of what it had been… Hopeless. Even a child can see this illogical conclusion.
E7: Hoof Done it?
Not much, but Misty, Izzy and Zipp got through the episode in up and down, here it is revealed that Misty can’t use magic - possibly because she doesn’t have a cutie mark - again against the G4 lore as foals without cutie marks can use magic. It was already revealed that in addition to wanting her adoptive mother’s acceptance, she also wants her own cutie marks and thus can use magic. She experienced friendship with the Mane 5 in E6 and later in E7.
E8: Have You Seen This Dragon?
Now we are in the right keel. Misty struggles like a criminal, and managed to take some magic with her to Opaline after a lot of trouble.
  1. Opaline declared not to have seen dragon fire for several hundred moons, which suggests that it was during the period she was ribbed for her alicorn powers, and from the G5 movie there were hints that a moon can be half of a year in our world. Lowest estimate, 100 to 200 years which translates to 200 to 400 moons.
  2. Opaline meant only the alicorns should have and be able to control all magic, and based on the preliminary conclusions on the studies of magic and the Unity Crystals which could probably only be used by alicorns, it is easy to see that she falls to such a logical conclusion . Yet it seems that this ran deeper than a personal conviction.
  3. Opaline declared that the alicorns are immortal. This means that the idea of ​​a final ascent out of the physical world for aging alicorns may have merit. This can be interpreted as an indirect confirmation that all G4 alicorns are alive, but they are possibly gone for the rest of the Ponykind.
  4. It is now clear that Opaline is no ordinary alicorn. More of an original alicorn of the same type as Celestia, Luna and Fluffy Heart, perhaps by being born as an alicorn.
  5. When she gained magic, it could be seen that Opaline’s wings had no sign of being clipped. This could suggest that her alicorn powers were never gone, just held down - and she thus needs powerful magic to break Twilight’s “curse” on her.
  6. Opaline made it clear that her #1 target is Sunny, and this is undoubtedly because she strongly disliked Sunny’s humility and thought she didn’t deserve to be an alicorn. Alicorn vs Alicorn battle is guaranteed.
  7. But there are hints that Twilight is out there, among other things Opaline had declared that she will finish what she had started with her first enemy. Impossible to know.
  8. Opaline is described as being made of fire according to Misty who is unhappy about her lot as a minion for a heartless alicorn. Again, this doesn’t make much sense.
  9. Now that Opaline has regained some of her powers, it is only a matter of time before she reaches full strength and will then attack the Mane 5 and take control of magic and Equestria.
MYM Chapter 2 is… controversial. There is a lot that does not fit in, even if things from other media such as TYT are taken in. There is too little background, too much KISS and little collaboration with other media such as TYT and IDW Comics. The writers behind MYM Chapter 2 improved together with the 3D artists, but a little too much freedom and too little respect. E2 and E6 weren’t good for the connection between G4 and G5, it’s like there was an alternate G4 with a different Twilight.
And again as in the movie, it is the characters who carried the weight brilliantly, even if there is too much KISS dumbing down.
I prefer the IDW comics. It’s very clear that G5 still hasn’t fixed the problem when the “lost magic” aspect was chosen instead of the “post civil war” aspect. Possibly because the same people who were responsible for this continue to have influence.
DerpyFast
Solar Supporter - Fought against the New Lunar Republic rebellion on the side of the Solar Deity (April Fools 2023).
Non-Fungible Trixie -
My Little Pony - 1992 Edition
Friendship, Art, and Magic (2018) - Celebrated Derpibooru's six year anniversary with friends.

So I just saw The Traditional Unicorn Sleepover, and it was pretty enjoyable. There was some tension, wondering how long Misty could keep getting away with it.
I need to get caught up on the comics. The disconnect between Sunny’s story and Misty’s story tells me that we’re still missing important info.
The fact that Celestia was able to rule for 1,000 years without incident has nothing to do with her merits as a ruler. Those 1,000 years just happen to take place during an extremely convenient 1,000-year long Eye of a Hurricane. The last thing to happen before this Eye was The Royal Sisters losing their connection to The Elements of Harmony, leaving Equestria wide open to an attack. The Mane Six showed up just in time for the Hurricane Wall to hit.
Background Pony #80C2
Misty’s going to redeem herself after Opaline betrays her, having lied about giving her a cutie mark, isn’t she? This always happens. Everyone will see this coming.
And this is bad how? She is different. She isn’t Sunset Shimmer neither Tempest Shadow.
Dustcan
Lunar Supporter - Helped forge New Lunar Republic's freedom in the face of the Solar Empire's oppressive tyrannical regime (April Fools 2023).
Non-Fungible Trixie -

Dogs
I really need to find that “1001 years ago, calm. 1000 years ago, COMPLETE ANARCHY! 999 years ago, calm.” image again. It was hilarious and lore accurate.
Background Pony #80C2
You’re right. It isn’t the same but that doesn’t mean it is bad.
People would still complain if it was a reboot and compare it to G4. Saying how great G4 was and everything.
Background Pony #80C2
I liked MYM: Chapter 2 for what it was. I didn’t have high hopes and I still liked it. Maybe I am the crazy one. I also liked all the seasons of MLP FIM. Even season 9. Even The Last Problem.
I couldn’t care less about clichés. They are inevitable.
Background Pony #80C2
I’m so glad that they didn’t do another reboot. Instead they were brave enough to discard the happily ever after bullshit and continue with the same universe.
Background Pony #80C2
Misty is the first ever full grown blankflank and nobody seems to care. I guess adding something new must be boring because there will be clichés.
Background Pony #CBDB
“I’m with You…”
Very mysterious. In E8 it is officially said that the alicorns are immortal, although signs of old age were seen on Twilight in the IDW Comics. She had disappeared, and so far Discord’s account made the most sense of how the Unity Crystals came about, as what came in E2 and E6 was… not good.
In TYT, Twilight had a form made with the intention of influencing the future, which suggests that she had seen the Mane 5 (Sunny will be as big as Opaline later in G5) in the future. She knows about the upcoming alicorn. This may have happened in the time between S9 and Equestria’s collapse, and from the IDW comics - here the MYM team had refused to give times for what happened between Twilight and Opaline - it is known that the Unity Crystals arose while the Mane 6 were alive. And it looks like the Discord Arc didn’t happen before or during MYM C2, which means there are two or three alternate G5 universes.
Let me think;
  1. The end of G4.
Opaline seemed to appear a couple of years after the last S9 episode and from E8 there is an impression that she has always been an alicorn who came from a mysterious background. She started the contradictions between the ponies, and it is possible that the writers in IDW did not want to elaborate on this. If she was an alicorn back then who can use magic to manipulate and create contradictions as well as gain her own loyalists, that could explain how the Mane 6 could lose control. But she and the Mane 6 weren’t prepared for the emotional instability that makes magic too dangerous, and it could take time to resolve.
So when the Mane 6 (IDW) together with Twilight had the Unity Crystals made, it was to solve an unsolvable problem, but also to stop Opaline who had become a mortal threat to them. It is possible that the remark about Opaline being of fire could come from the time when the ponies’ magic had become unstable. In the MYM C1, Opaline had said that the magic was unstable until the earth pony magic was brought out. Maybe she was the one who made the magic unstable?
Without the Unity Crystals how could she steal all the magic and almost succeed at it? When she assimilated the magic from the dragon fire, it was not with Tirek’s technique, but by letting her body “consume” the ingested magic. Could this be an alicorn trait that was not seen early on? But everything indicates from IDW that the consequences were simply not realized until it was too late. The creation of the Unity Crystals was not her wish, and she may be the first to have the magic removed as punishment. By then Twilight and her friends had defeated her, but the phrase that she will “open” something shows that it wasn’t just the heartless alicorn.
Opaline was possibly put in chains - it may be the remains of this that can be seen on her bones - and put under house arrest in what would later become the Dark Castle. There she must spend the next centuries under house arrest, stripped of her alicorn powers.
So Equestria was shielded from the rest of the world, although the MYM team has been unusually reluctant to show more than the three solitary cities in C1 and C2. The question of whether it happened after the loss of magic. It would make sense that Twilight would shut Equestria off from the rest of the world to protect the ponies after the collapse. It didn’t make sense to have this against an alicorn who can’t use her powers. And why take the magic away from the ponies if Opaline is already stripped of her magic?
In E2 it seems - it is an interpretation - that the shielding of Equestria may have been part of the Unity Crystals’ function when the active magic is taken away, because Twilight talked about a spell. Which was broken, which means that this spell may be related to the return of magic.
Opaline could possibly have revealed the time between Equestria’s collapse and G5, as she would have seen dragon fire repeatedly while under house arrest. “Several hundred moons” suggests a couple of centuries at most.
Then came the collapse of Equestria. And this story has yet to be explained. What is told in E2 and E6 is not popular as it means that Twilight had committed unforgivable transgressions seen through the eyes of humans who believe in free will, agency and freedom of choice. Which cannot be allowed to stand.
Since Opaline thought alicorns are immortal and no one knows where Twilight and the Mane 6 come into the picture around the Unity Crystals, it could mean that Twilight will “return” because when she sent the message - which is fake because it doesn’t show her true appearance - was it with the knowledge that she wants to be with Sunny. And this does not mean spiritual presence. It is possible that she will “help” Sunny in C3 or C4 after Opaline had won and become Queen of Equestria, guiding her into a rematch that will end in Sunny’s victory. Misty can play an important role in the finale.
But if Twilight believes she will be with Sunny in the future, that must mean she has a method to connect with her successor.E4 has clearly shown that Sunny is a much better alicorn than Opaline, as she denied the lure of power and only wants to be there for the other ponies, which is a clear sign that she has the right personality to be an alicorn. This will please Twilight.
Logically, the only method is the Unity Crystals. All magic was “collected” there, but a sentence from E2 which is missing, may suggest much more, perhaps the magical dimension, C1 has shown dimensional portals from which earth pony magic came.
If Twilight was able to foresee the future in the time after her friends’ demise, it is possible that she could understand what was going to happen, with one clear exception, the collapse of Equestria. She knows that Opaline will break free and poses a serious threat if the magic returns, and thus will be of assistance. As Misty was saved by Opaline when she was just a filly, it must mean that Opaline had been released longer before the G5 movie, maybe all the way back to the collapse.
The last cover of the Discord Arc revealed that it is possible that the Mane 6 after their time are not completely gone, as their cutie mark magic may still be active.
We may have to wait until C4 to find out.
But the case with C2 is a bit problematic. It was too simple in terms of plot, that it doesn’t always flow well. Very narrow minded, Equestria was much bigger before the end of S1 in comparison.
Starless
Artist -
Non-Fungible Trixie -

Prog rock pony
About TYT, specifically the episode where Sunny gets a message from her dad about a blanket, I don’t get how the fuck the mane five coming together could have been predicted years before they were born, unless maybe somepony time traveled or Twilight somehow saw the future. Also, she didn’t gain colored hair until after the events of A New Generation so she shouldn’t have it as a baby.
About Chapter 2 being too simple, this is pretty much expected for any new kids show. Season 1 of FiM had very simple plots like in The Ticket Master. It doesn’t help that a lot of the episodes are just recycled ideas from FiM, especially the episode where Sparky pulled a Starlight and swapped Sunny and Hitch’s cutie marks.
And this is bad how? She is different. She isn’t Sunset Shimmer neither Tempest Shadow.
It’s not bad, just very predictable.
You’re right. It isn’t the same but that doesn’t mean it is bad.
People would still complain if it was a reboot and compare it to G4. Saying how great G4 was and everything.
G5 isn’t bad but it’s nowhere near as good as G4. Maybe I don’t like the 3D animation or TYT, maybe I’ve gotten so attached to the mane six from G4, maybe I’m just sad about the fact that G5 takes place in a future where not only is everypony from G4 dead, but they’ve all been erased from history.
G4 was good until season 9. Had MLP ended somewhere between 2015 and 2018, neither Pony Life nor G5 ever existed, and Hasbro did nothing except sell toys, I would have been satisfied. While I did want to see Grogar in G4, him not appearing at all would have been much better than Hasbro making him the joke that he was with that stupid plot twist.
Dustcan
Non-Fungible Trixie -

Dogs
Zephyr Heights has their own currency and use the royals as the face on the dollar.
That’s neat. But now I’m wondering if that’s legal tender in the other towns.
Interested in advertising on Derpibooru? Click here for information!
Sky Railroad Merch Shop!

Help fund the $15 daily operational cost of Derpibooru - support us financially!

Syntax quick reference: **bold** *italic* ||hide text|| `code` __underline__ ~~strike~~ ^sup^ %sub%

Detailed syntax guide