MLP G5 Discussion and Speculation Thread

Background Pony #9E60
The pages from the book can now be read, and this tells a very telling story, like the old folkloric authors in the 19th century, the authors behind the book have tried to reconstruct folktales that can still be remembered. Here it appears that the story is about three unicorns who are connected to a shooting star - which must be the Wishing Star - with hints of the Crystal Empire, and could be Twilight, Flurry and Opaline.
The first page;
“This is based on the G1 lore, first seen in the My Little Pony comic #8 (G1) published in 1985, with a magical tree that can grant wishes, the unicorn Powder could summon snow - and the light in the opening that is closed in C3, can be a “Wishing Light”.
So the idea behind the Winter Wishday is taken from G1 but moved to the start of the winter season, TYT supports this as the episode after C3 shows winter activities like snowball fights. So the unicorns of Bridlewood when they still had magic gathered in the square in front of the tree to invoke snow and cold, freezing the temperature and increasing the humidity in the atmosphere. The ceremony seemed to start when three special unicorns stand in front of the opening and possibly ignite the magic in the tree during a ritual that has since been forgotten. These could be alicorns.
And since the unicorns use the same spell as the crystal ponies to transfer their magic to the crystals that store or recharge the magic, there is obviously a connection between Bridlewood which was likely a resort for the Canterlot unicorns, and the Crystal Empire ruled by Cadence who has her daughter, Flurry Heart.
The writers behind C3 know their stuff with reusing lore from older works, and integrating it into new lore in the G5. And it is possible that the Wishing Tree existed in the G4, as a mysterious tree was depicted on a glass window at the beginning of “The Last Problem” in S9, when Spike returned from the meeting between the abyssinians and the diamond dogs.”
The other sides;
“Very interesting! That explains the three unicorns in the cover. This is a reference to the Unity Crystals - but once again the information is consistent with the book being made by the first generation after Equestria’s collapse, the memory of the Unity Crystals had obviously been either distorted or lost, and the three crystals may have fallen from a shooting star - which must be the Wishing Star.
We know from IDW and MYM that Twilight made the three crystals and stored all magic in them, and that an alicorn, Opaline, may be the first to lose her magic. It’s possible that whatever happened, the Unity Crystals had split - and fallen to Earth where the ponies found them. And these knew that they were associated with special ponies, so they may have constructed stories based on oral accounts that had not yet been forgotten. In that way, the three crystals became three ponies.
More proof that Twilight Sparkle and the Wishing Star have a connection.
But these three ponies who were supposed to be “guardians” had to have been actual historical figures who were part of popular memory. The sentence that they could not remember must suggest the three tribes - the earth ponies, the unicorns and the pegasi in their place. This is perhaps the first confirmed information about collective amnesia.”
“Have now gone to the link.
The page showing the Ice vs. Fire confrontation is an indirect confirmation that the three “unicorns” are alicorns, because one of the three ponies has signs of wings on it. It flew. Then Opaline is definitely in the book, and the white unicorn could be Flurry Heart, the other flying one - seemed to have a darker fur color, and could be Twilight. Behind her came a storm, perhaps her friends. So this could be the moment before Opaline is defeated and put in chains after losing her magic.
Only the white unicorn was back as the book drew to a close, it seemed to be galloping towards brighter times away from the darkness, symbolizing a good ending towards better times, as there are clearings ahead of the unicorn. So this can be interpreted as a happy ending, but the fate of the other two unicorns is not known.
Possibly Flurry had reacted negatively to what Twilight had done, and went away, possibly to the Crystal Empire. This could possibly confirm that she may be alive, and that the Crystal Empire may still exist. But in the page, it looked like Flurry had been trying to talk Opaline into giving up, and may have reacted strongly to Twilight’s decision to take the magic from Opaline.
The hypothesis that Opaline may be Flurry’s sister has not been confirmed, but not rejected. Such a tragic performance within a family is always popular, and can survive for a very long time in the folklore, especially if it is about divine-like beings. Sibling tragedies have happened in the MLP, considering Celestia and Luna at the beginning of the G4. This may have been repeated in the G5.
So the ponies combine the three crystals that we know are the Unity Crystals, with the alicorns - and that they pay tribute to the Wishing Star that gave them the crystals or “guardians”. And they do it by using Twilight Sparkle’s magic symbol, eight-pointed star and other decorations from her reign.
It is possible that in the post-G4 era Twilight took Flurry and Opaline under her wing to train them, introduce them to her realm as they are her nieces and daughters of a powerful ally. They may have participated in the ritual around the Wishing Tree in Bridlewood when the winter season started. But as we know from IDW and MYM, a unicorn started the unrest in Equestria which led to magic running wild as the ponies turned against each other.
Opaline in IDW may have disguised herself so that Fluttershy didn’t recognize her, while Discord possibly does, being at a loss. Because if Opaline is Twilight’s niece, this could completely freak Discord out. And that explains how Discord knew her - and talked sarcastically about her in the IDW. In the end, the Mane 6 chose to take out Opaline, and it’s possible that Flurry didn’t agree with the decision to take her sister’s magic and put her under house arrest.
The book is very revealing, for this produce a number of hypotheses.
But this only emphasized that Twilight Sparkle could be the Wishing Star, and that the three crystals fell when she was taken up into the sky. Possibly after sealing the magic. And the Wishday is celebrated because of the crystals - and the subconscious of the first generation of ponies that they have lost something very important; as if a mother has abandoned them.”
“Yes. The hypothesis that Opaline is Flurry Heart’s sister is only further reinforced. For the silhouette in the shadow of the tree is the Crystal royal palace - which had been put in by the writers. They had obviously worked like the Brothers Grimm in the 1800s, collecting and categorizing or piecing together folktales that still existed before they were forgotten.
They knew about the Crystal Empire, only as a loose hint. But that means that the unicorns are connected with the Crystal Empire - and Twilight is the sister-in-law of the ruler, Cadence, who has a daughter, Flurry, and may also have given birth to another daughter, Opaline. This combination may have led the writers to a logical conclusion when trying to piece together the folklore about the Unity Crystals, the Wishing Tree and the three alicorns, two of which came from the Crystal Empire.
The book reveals that there is possibly a third alicorn in the G5 in addition to Sunny and Opaline - Flurry Hearts who may have chosen to isolate herself and her realm from Equestria.
So Misty is possibly related to Twilight, even if through adoption.”
So… We have a possible third alicorn alive in the G5. And that Twilight is still in the G5 as the Wishing Star. Opaline may be Cadence’s second daughter, Flurry’s sister, and Twilight’s niece.
If the three crystals are the Unity Crystals, they must have fallen after being separated by Twilight possibly over Canterlot when Equestria had come under attack. So as she was sent to the starry sky in the same manner as Equestria-prevails depicted in his fan comic, the separate crystals would fall down. And there were undoubtedly many who witnessed it, so even if they could not remember for a long time - they knew what had happened.
An ambitious pegasus took the Pegasus crystal to become queen, the family that may have been close to Twilight took the Earth pony crystal and a random unicorn took the Unicorn crystal with himself, the tribes were at first together, but separated as soon they can’t remember. The book was made at a time when the ponies were not yet afraid of each other like in the G5 movie.
Posted Report
Background Pony #9E60
Now over to Sunny’s family. Someone has discovered that she and her father have cutie marks that can be connected to the Wishing Star, and this, along with the blanket in TYT that was split into three pieces, and one was not hidden, but handed to Sunny’s family . We know from the G5 movie that Argyle has a purple feather that could only have come from Twilight 2.0, in his living room. How did he get hold of the feather?
There is a connection between Sunny’s family and Twilight Sparkle. My headcanon is that this family, who took the Earth pony crystal with them to Maretime Bay, may be descended from Twilight’s student Luster Dawn, who is believed by the fans to be Starlight Glimmer’s daughter, not confirmed - not denied. So Sunny, Opaline and Twilight are possibly in a family feud, as Twilight has adopted Starlight Glimmer and Luster Dawn as she had also adopted Flurry and Opaline into her “family” which also involves the Mane 6, Spike and partly Discord .
And then we have the royal pegasi family. They had used the Pegasi crystal to establish their power over the pegasi, who are so militaristic that they need strong and ambitious leaders who will give them security and a purpose. Here’s a story just waiting to come out, and there’s a fan hypothesis that the first pegasi queen might be Cozy Glow freed from petrification after the magic was sealed. This family’s power is based on a sham, pretending they can still fly in contrast to the others.
It is so good that the G5 writers can end the whole issue of the Terrible Trio with Zipp and Pipp. And Luster Dawn as the progenitor of Argyle and Sunny is a good idea. We now have reason to believe that Opaline is Twilight’s niece, and that Flurry may still be alive.
Posted Report
Ring Team
Silly Pony - Celebrated the 13th anniversary of MLP:FIM, and 40 years of MLP!
Lunar Supporter - Helped forge New Lunar Republic's freedom in the face of the Solar Empire's oppressive tyrannical regime (April Fools 2023).
Ten years of changes - Celebrated the 10th anniversary of MLP:FiM!
A Really Classy Artist - 250+ images under their artist tag
An Artist Who Rocks - 100+ images under their artist tag
Artist -

here’s a thought to tickle our brains. I think Starlight in Season 5 was not brought up enough only anticipation for the Season Finale. She could have appeared in multiple episodes building up tension over time in significant ways not just a cameo in an episode. It could have made Starlight a more interesting character.
That would have made her much more interesting. I already talked about it here, but I agree. Considering how season 5 ends, I don’t believe the writers either have thought of that episode since the beginning or actually believed in the story of that finale.
I think with the proper changes in the character (simple yet specific changes), Starlight would have been a great character that would have enhanced the show. Hopefully the G5 writers will make it better with Misty, for a couple of reasons:
  1. Misty was properly introduced in G5 in a way that Starlight in season 5 wasn’t. The writers took their time to develop her. It wasn’t 2 episodes with minimal presence.
  2. Her motivations and conflicts are simplier and more defined than Starlight’s. There’s no equivalent of “my bets friends moved away”.
  3. Unlike Starlight, Misty doesn’t have power and she is more vulnerable. The more vulnerable a character is, the easier is to empathize with her as a viewer.
  4. There are stakes which the audience can get behind. After watching the last episode of chapter 2, Misty would have to make a choice: Either still working for Opaline despite the treatment she gets, move to Maretime Bay or another option.
While I don’t watch Tell your Tale, I have high hopes on Make your Mark. I think the chapter 1 was better than chapter 2, but considering the writers made much more work in the beginning than what Josh Haber did in season 5, I have faith in these writers.
Background Pony #9E60
In several episodes in C2, it is noticed that one of the cards against the window under Sunny’s bed shows a shooting star - with Twilight Sparkle’s cutie mark, the eight-pointed star with dark pink and white points, her magical symbol which was already in G4 in dark pink.
The eight-pointed star is used as a symbol of the Wishing Star in Zephyr Heights, when Wishentine is celebrated with a concert.
How many more hints are needed?
Posted Report
Mr.Myoozik
StarTrix Forever! - Derpi Supporter
Silly Pony - Celebrated the 13th anniversary of MLP:FIM, and 40 years of MLP!
Shimmering Smile - Celebrated the 10th anniversary of Equestria Girls!
Solar Hero - Went above and beyond for the Solar Deity, drawing from the power of the sun itself to bring balance to the fight against the Lunar Insurrection (April Fools 2023).
Flower Trio - Helped others get their OC into the 2023 Derpibooru Collab.
Roseluck - Had their OC in the 2023 Derpibooru Collab.
King Sombra - Celebrated the 10th anniversary of The Crystal Empire!
A Lovely Nightmare Night - Celebrated the 12th anniversary of MLP:FIM!
Princess of Love - Extra special version for those who participated in the Canterlot Wedding 10th anniversary event by contributing art.
Tree of Harmony - Drew someone's OC for the 2022 Community Collab

Music Connoisseur
What kind of untapped powers did Izzy have?
This isn’t a rhetorical question, what kind of powerful magic is Izzy secretly harboring managing to spin snow around and turn snowponies to life?
Posted Report
Background Pony #9E60
What kind of untapped powers did Izzy have?
This isn’t a rhetorical question, what kind of powerful magic is Izzy secretly harboring managing to spin snow around and turn snowponies to life?
The unicorns have different strength levels from the weak to the strong based on mana reserves, knowledge and training. What Izzy has demonstrated - she is still struggling to gain control, a little Derpy here - is on the same level as Starlight and the unicorn Twilight. And she does it with her instinct that seemed to be in the Pinkie mode.
That makes her the strongest unicorn in the G5, but she won’t stand a chance against Starlight - yet. She simply flukes and that is her strength, as with Pinkie in the G4, seeing that her friends have got used to her whims, she is in the crossroads between a genius and a madmare. And we love her for it.
Posted Report
Background Pony #E52B
Not trying to rag on Zipp, but it would be nice if she could be enthusiastic for one of her family’s traditions. Her “bleh” attitude towards everything is getting a little old imo.
Posted Report
Dustcan
Magnificent Metadata Maniac - #1 Assistant
Lunar Supporter - Helped forge New Lunar Republic's freedom in the face of the Solar Empire's oppressive tyrannical regime (April Fools 2023).
Non-Fungible Trixie -
Preenhub - We all know what you were up to this evening~
Twinkling Balloon - Took part in the 2021 community collab.
Friendship, Art, and Magic (2020) - Took part in the 2020 Community Collab
Wallet After Summer Sale -
Condensed Milk - State-Approved Compensation

Dogs
Snow Pun Intended
The title of the episode finally matches the title of the upload again.
We begin with Posey. So right off the bat we start off strong.
Not gonna lie, the gag of Izzy hiding in a snowmare of herself caught me off guard and was a good one. Not just for being an Izzy moment but also a good Hitch moment.
You really get the sense that the community really does know each other, as they were all having fun hitting each other with snowballs but knew things would get ‘not fun’ fast once Posey was hit.
Oh so this does follow up on the Holiday Special with this being the first snow season in the town. Nice, but now I can’t help but notice more how everypony has winter gear at the ready.
Posey joins them on the Marestream. You know, everyone thought Sprout would be the 6th member of the group. Then Misty came along, and now everyone thinks she will be. But I’m totes for the idea of Posey joining the Mane group.
Honestly a very subtle character moment with Hitch with the list. Rather than deny that Pipp’s idea was on the list, thus somehow disappointed either her or his own organization, he implies that they can do it as long as they have time. A workaround that lets him not admit he was wrong but at the same time still be a team player.
Ah the Prometheus School of Running Away From Things. A classic. This time with a giant snowball.
Posey smiling. Somehow better than her screaming.
Ah there’s the screaming. Once again though, how would they have snowboards? I can at least get warm clothes regardless of a winter, but snowboards are something with a specific use.
For once Sparky actually solved a problem instead of making one. And Posey ends the episode in a rare moment of happiness. Nice.
The last few episodes were kinda so-so but this one was really fun. In retrospect it’s pretty surprising it took this long to get a Posey episode, but thankfully it wasn’t a dud. And the lesson at the end was a wholesome one; some people just enjoy different things and that’s okay. So yeah, a big plus this week.
Posted Report
DerpyFast
Solar Supporter - Fought against the New Lunar Republic rebellion on the side of the Solar Deity (April Fools 2023).
Non-Fungible Trixie -
My Little Pony - 1992 Edition
Friendship, Art, and Magic (2018) - Celebrated Derpibooru's six year anniversary with friends.

The first time watching, I was going “I swear to god they had better give Posey a good ending”. I liked this one a lot more the second time, knowing that it ends well for her.
You really get the sense that the community really does know each other,
I absolutely love the feeling of community in G5.
Posted Report
DerpyFast
Solar Supporter - Fought against the New Lunar Republic rebellion on the side of the Solar Deity (April Fools 2023).
Non-Fungible Trixie -
My Little Pony - 1992 Edition
Friendship, Art, and Magic (2018) - Celebrated Derpibooru's six year anniversary with friends.

I thought more about Posey. I actually think she’s given a surprising amount of nuance.
It’s one thing to not like change. But that one scene with Dahlia isn’t just mean and uncalled for; it’s hypocritical. It’s okay for her to not like change when it mildly inconveniences or annoys her, but she has no trouble rubbing it in when change negatively affects Dahlia’s livelihood. So she definitely deserved that period where she was the Squidward of G5.
But I think G5 ultimately meets her halfway. She makes an appearance on Pipp’s podcast, and they talk about how she’s found a constructive way to deal with change. Winter Wishday has her checking out the Carousel Concert and having a valid reason to not really like it. And Snow Pun Intended gives her legitimate reasons to not like winter or snow, and throws her a bone at the end.
Posted Report
Interested in advertising on Derpibooru? Click here for information!
Ministry of Image - Fanfiction Printing

Help fund the $15 daily operational cost of Derpibooru - support us financially!

Syntax quick reference: **bold** *italic* ||hide text|| `code` __underline__ ~~strike~~ ^sup^ %sub%

Detailed syntax guide