MLP G5 Discussion and Speculation Thread

Background Pony #4FA5
Now that it is clear that irregularities had occurred due to lack of a background as seen in TYT, MYM and IDW as the G5 team did not finish constructing a world background during the work on the movie, this has resulted in Hasbro reorganizing a bit in the winter of 2022-23. What appears so far in the latest issue from IDW is another example of irregularities. Are the Daring Do books in print in the G5…?
First rule; the G5 team must have a timeline. 1000 years between the end of G4 and the G5 movie. Up to 200 years between Equestria’s collapse and the movie. It should be boring for there to be a direct connection between G4 and G5, the secrets of G5 must not pollute this timeline.
Second rule; create a new map on the basis of the G4 map, and then stick to it, you are free to add extra details because the time period between G4 and G5, Equestria in G5 may have been broken up into at least 12 states as the license plate from the movie may suggest. This will then open up different cultures, different beings and different environments where the non-ponies will play an important role. I would like to see Kirins with samurai swords, martial arts and customs taken from East Asia. The Diamond Dogs may have taken over the whole of Eastern Equestria, while Southern Equestria is returned to the jackals, perhaps together with the sphinxes, as these were conquered by the ponies.
Third Rule; have a scenery rich environment for the heroes in G5, this was a recipe for success in G4 that should be repeated in G5. Only three locations are too few. More mountains! More islands! Deep water diving! Sky walk! Vehicles from motorbikes to planes/airships! More cities! More ponies and non-ponies! All of this can be gleaned from the G4 lore without any problems.
G5’s success lies in the characters that make up the Mane 5, protagonists and antagonists need to be far more - so far there is only one real villain, Opaline - the treatment of Posey in TYT should be toned down a bit, it stopped being funny. Tastes now more of bullying and harassment. This needs to be expanded and there are candidates from the movie like many others who can slip into the background around the Mane 5.
S1 of G5 has been anemic in comparison to what was seen by G4. It is because there is no map, very little beyond what was shown in the movie, has been discovered.
Posted Report
LoreJuniper
Solar Supporter - Fought against the New Lunar Republic rebellion on the side of the Solar Deity (April Fools 2023).

#1 Misty Stan
Well i mean daring do being in print makes sense, we have books that date back to even the fall of some empires, plus daring do is a pegasus so obv a pegasus hero would be a popular series in modern day zephyr heights
Posted Report
Background Pony #4FA5
Well i mean daring do being in print makes sense, we have books that date back to even the fall of some empires, plus daring do is a pegasus so obv a pegasus hero would be a popular series in modern day zephyr heights
You may have a point… after all, we have preserved heroic tales printed in book format long after the civilizations from which they came had disappeared today. That Daring Do who was popular in G4 could have survived until G5 because she was a pegasus and the pegasi have the strongest state in Equestria - which I call “The Pegasi Empire” - could be possible. But these books depict coexistence between the different tribes and contact with non-ponies, and we have seen minimal of this in MYM and TYT, the existence of the books nullifies part of the background for the movie. Wasn’t it said in the movie that the history books turned out to be fake? The Daring Do books contradicted this. I think the writers of Discord Arc hadn’t thought of this.
Posted Report
DerpyFast
Solar Supporter - Fought against the New Lunar Republic rebellion on the side of the Solar Deity (April Fools 2023).
Non-Fungible Trixie -
My Little Pony - 1992 Edition
Wallet After Summer Sale -
Friendship, Art, and Magic (2018) - Celebrated Derpibooru's six year anniversary with friends.

That’s the least popular episode of the series, according to this.
Not necessarily. That just shows that it’s considered “the best” by the least number of people. You’d need a different kind of poll to determine its overall ranking.
Posted Report
Background Pony #F828
Do you think Argyle ever protested Canterlogic’s unethical business practices?
Posted Report
DerpyFast
Non-Fungible Trixie -
Friendship, Art, and Magic (2018) - Celebrated Derpibooru's six year anniversary with friends.

This will then open up different cultures, different beings and different environments where the non-ponies will play an important role. I would like to see Kirins with samurai swords, martial arts and customs taken from East Asia. The Diamond Dogs may have taken over the whole of Eastern Equestria, while Southern Equestria is returned to the jackals, perhaps together with the sphinxes, as these were conquered by the ponies.
S1 of G5 has been anemic in comparison to what was seen by G4. It is because there is no map, very little beyond what was shown in the movie, has been discovered.
I disagree. The world of G4 wasn’t interesting because of great worldbuilding. Back in early Season One, there was the small town of Ponyville, a big spooky forest filled with monsters, and the distant capital of Canterlot. The world felt big and mysterious because we had no idea what was out there.
But it turned out that there was a formula for creating locations in Equestria: Real-life place + horse pun = location in Equestria. I think the fact that you could just churn out locations by following the formula made the world feel unoriginal and arbitrary; a collection of stock locations inhabited by stock characters. Like, they could go to Neighples and fight Maredusa. Even the original three locations lacked much identity beyond “rustic medieval village”, “spooky forest populated by the Monster Manual”, and “Cosmopolitan City”. To me, the world didn’t become interesting again until they started developing the other species, which were used as devices for exploring ideas.
With G5, they’ve recaptured that early feeling with the core locations. You’ve got the small town of Maretime Bay, the magical forest of Bridlewood, and the distant metropolis of Zephyr Heights, and no idea what else is out there. And the three locations have clear, distinct cultures this time.
so far there is only one real villain, Opaline
I think that’s all you need for now. The Law of Diminishing Returns hit G4 hard. With a new villain threatening Equestria every season, they had to keep upping the stakes until the audience was desensitized. The way Opaline treats Misty, and the prospect of these ponies losing everything they’ve fought for has got me way more engaged then the usual cycle of “Something threatens Equestria, the threat is dealt with, then everyone immediately forgets about it”.
Posted Report
Mr.Myoozik
StarTrix Forever! - Derpi Supporter
Silly Pony - Celebrated the 13th anniversary of MLP:FIM, and 40 years of MLP!
Shimmering Smile - Celebrated the 10th anniversary of Equestria Girls!
Solar Hero - Went above and beyond for the Solar Deity, drawing from the power of the sun itself to bring balance to the fight against the Lunar Insurrection (April Fools 2023).
Flower Trio - Helped others get their OC into the 2023 Derpibooru Collab.
Roseluck - Had their OC in the 2023 Derpibooru Collab.
King Sombra - Celebrated the 10th anniversary of The Crystal Empire!
A Lovely Nightmare Night - Celebrated the 12th anniversary of MLP:FIM!
Princess of Love - Extra special version for those who participated in the Canterlot Wedding 10th anniversary event by contributing art.
Tree of Harmony - Drew someone's OC for the 2022 Community Collab

Music Connoisseur
@CloudMistDragon
Wait, people don’t like Hoof Done It? I thought that episode was fine for the most part. I was expecting it would be Ali-Conned at the bottom, that’s my least favorite episode of Chapter 2.
Posted Report
Background Pony #4FA5
This will then open up different cultures, different beings and different environments where the non-ponies will play an important role. I would like to see Kirins with samurai swords, martial arts and customs taken from East Asia. The Diamond Dogs may have taken over the whole of Eastern Equestria, while Southern Equestria is returned to the jackals, perhaps together with the sphinxes, as these were conquered by the ponies.
I disagree. The world of G4 wasn’t interesting because of great worldbuilding. Back in early Season One, there was the small town of Ponyville, a big spooky forest filled with monsters, and the distant capital of Canterlot. The world felt big and mysterious because we had no idea what was out there.
But it turned out that there was a formula for creating locations in Equestria: Real-life place + horse pun = location in Equestria. I think the fact that you could just churn out locations by following the formula made the world feel unoriginal and arbitrary; a collection of stock locations inhabited by stock characters. Like, they could go to Neighples and fight Maredusa. Even the original three locations lacked much identity beyond “rustic medieval village”, “spooky forest populated by the Monster Manual”, and “Cosmopolitan City”. To me, the world didn’t become interesting again until they started developing the other species, which were used as devices for exploring ideas.
With G5, they’ve recaptured that early feeling with the core locations. You’ve got the small town of Maretime Bay, the magical forest of Bridlewood, and the distant metropolis of Zephyr Heights, and no idea what else is out there. And the three locations have clear, distinct cultures this time.
so far there is only one real villain, Opaline
I think that’s all you need for now. The Law of Diminishing Returns hit G4 hard. With a new villain threatening Equestria every season, they had to keep upping the stakes until the audience was desensitized. The way Opaline treats Misty, and the prospect of these ponies losing everything they’ve fought for has got me way more engaged then the usual cycle of “Something threatens Equestria, the threat is dealt with, then everyone immediately forgets about it”.
G5 only needs one overpowered villain so all other villains will just be low-level players, there were several in G4, with Trixie being the most famous, but they were greatly overshadowed by many supervillains - Nightmare Moon, Chrysalis, Tirek, Cozy Glow and Discord. Grogar was supposed to be the boss villain in the G4 when it was going to end. Here the G5 team can do it differently; Sprout was a promising start to a new generation of antagonists who do not pose a serious threat to the world, but others have not appeared, Opaline stole the spotlight. G5 only needs ONE world-ending villain. And it’s not Opaline who just wants to rule Equestria to create her perfect world.
S1 of G4 saw more of the world than we’ve seen so far, because all of middle Equestria was shown. In fact, we have seen more of the G5 world in the movie than in all episodes of TYT and MYM. C3 was unusual because as little as possible is shown beyond certain localities. When the G4 team started their work, they had a map to make use of, with established rules and definite ideas about how to build up the new world - there are many indications that this was not finished when the G5 movie was shown.
For the G4 fans and new fans who learn about the G4 through the G5, there is then a fierce curiosity not about what to discover - because the unknown has been mapped - but what had changed, what had happened and what is new. The G5 team was crystal clear that they intended to use the lore from G4 for world building. Time is almost up, S1 of G5 is almost over.
Posted Report
Amphibian Swamp

I wonder if people prefer Zipp or Pipp. I like them both, Pipp’s cute and musical while Zipp is relatable and cool. They both got their up and downs, but it’s hard to choose a favourite, they are both nice in their own ways
Posted Report
Dragonpone
Unamused - Derpi Supporter
Solar Guardian - Refused to surrender in the face of the Lunar rebellion and showed utmost loyalty to the Solar Empire (April Fools 2023).
Crystal Roseluck - Had their OC in the 2023 Derpibooru Collab.
Elements of Harmony -
Non-Fungible Trixie -
Philomena - For helping others attend the 2021 community collab
Twinkling Balloon - Took part in the 2021 community collab.

Badge Dragon
@CloudMistDragon
I mean, it’s a poll where the last 2 are separated by a total of 3 votes. It’s nice to gauge a general trend, but I wouldn’t take each placement as the gospel truth with that kind of sample size.
@The Crystal Artist
Zipp is the only main character I can call solid across all G5 media (unless we’re counting Misty)
Posted Report
Dragonpone
Unamused - Derpi Supporter
Solar Guardian - Refused to surrender in the face of the Lunar rebellion and showed utmost loyalty to the Solar Empire (April Fools 2023).
Crystal Roseluck - Had their OC in the 2023 Derpibooru Collab.
Elements of Harmony -
Non-Fungible Trixie -
Philomena - For helping others attend the 2021 community collab
Twinkling Balloon - Took part in the 2021 community collab.

Badge Dragon
@Mr.Myoozik
I like Sunny in the movie, but I don’t think she’s ever as interesting afterward. I feel the same for Hitch and Izzy.
To varying degrees, I think Zipp and Pipp improve after the movie.
Posted Report
Mr.Myoozik
StarTrix Forever! - Derpi Supporter
Solar Hero - Went above and beyond for the Solar Deity, drawing from the power of the sun itself to bring balance to the fight against the Lunar Insurrection (April Fools 2023).
Princess of Love - Extra special version for those who participated in the Canterlot Wedding 10th anniversary event by contributing art.
Tree of Harmony - Drew someone's OC for the 2022 Community Collab

Music Connoisseur
@Dragonpone
Eh, they don’t do it for me personality wise. I like a character for their personality rather than how much character growth they go through. Pipp is too annoying and Zipp is okay, she just doesn’t click with me.
Posted Report
DerpyFast
Non-Fungible Trixie -

And it’s not Opaline who just wants to rule Equestria to create her perfect world.
Her succeeding in her goal would translate to all the ponies losing what they care about, which is way more compelling than the world just being destroyed.
@The Crystal Artist
I came to appreciate Pipp way more after the ASMR video.
Zipp may very well be the most complex and interesting character in the entire franchise.
Posted Report
LoreJuniper

#1 Misty Stan
Izzy is still very good in the show (excluding ch1), def my fav m5 in mym
Sunny isnt that interesting when she doesnt have a goal, she needs some more personality and drive, her being a bit snarky like in teh comics would be nice
Hitch they explained as him feeling respnsible for the magic and problems so i get the change, altho i hope his showboating and confidence returns
Zipp and pipp didnt have much so they are straight upgrades in mym
Posted Report
CloudMistDragon
Lunar Supporter - Helped forge New Lunar Republic's freedom in the face of the Solar Empire's oppressive tyrannical regime (April Fools 2023).
Artist -

Misty Shadow
Hitch is still my favorite, love how admirable and responsible he is and don’t get what people say about his personality needing “fixing”, that goofy side to him was in the movie too. It’s also an important quality to have in a comedy show.
Zipp is tied for my second favorite with Izzy, I just love how intelligent she is and the way her cool demeanor and sarcasm sells her. Izzy’s innocent, adorable nature is also good in TYT too, even with her acting sillier, something to be expected in such a show. She’s not different at all to me in MYM from the movie either.
Sunny is a great star character who goes through more pruning than given credit for, but she’s still a diamond in the rough I’m sure I’ll like better as she’s developed more.
Pipp is still my least favorite main character, but that says very little. The times she acts dumb in MYM don’t actually bother me that much and her doomed-to-be-dated social media schtick is fun to hate at worst.
In my honest opinion, Izzy was the only character who got anything close to what I’d consider a downgrade from the movie to a G5 show (TYT), and that’s only because comedy shorts have radically different pacing and storytelling from a feature-length film.
TheQuietMan
Non-Fungible Trixie -
Preenhub - We all know what you were up to this evening~

House of the Arcana
@Mr.Myoozik
I feel that either:
  1. The town didn’t care anymore about the holiday because of how disconnected they are
  2. Izzy is ruining what the holiday stood for and gave it an even worser rep
  3. It’s an obligatory holiday where the town is doing bare necessities by simply bonding together
  4. It’s a holiday they don’t want to be forced into
    Or 5) The holiday has evolved and Izzy didn’t catch up nor get the memo.
Posted Report
Interested in advertising on Derpibooru? Click here for information!
Champions of Equestria

Help fund the $15 daily operational cost of Derpibooru - support us financially!

Syntax quick reference: **bold** *italic* ||hide text|| `code` __underline__ ~~strike~~ ^sup^ %sub%

Detailed syntax guide