MLP G5 Discussion and Speculation Thread

DerpyFast
Pixel Perfection - Hot Pockets Spotted
Solar Supporter - Fought against the New Lunar Republic rebellion on the side of the Solar Deity (April Fools 2023).
Non-Fungible Trixie -
My Little Pony - 1992 Edition
Wallet After Summer Sale -
Friendship, Art, and Magic (2018) - Celebrated Derpibooru's six year anniversary with friends.

Finally got caught up on the comics, and I’m re-reading all of them as a refresher.
Love the foreshadowing in issue 2:
If you’re not paying attention to Fluttershy, you’re not paying attention to what really matters.
During the initial release, issues 3 and 4 definitely felt like pace-killing filler, but I appreciated them a lot more the second time.
Really liked issue 5. Felt very H.P. Lovecraft. Shame the mirror doesn’t come up again in the arc.
Issue 7 felt like filler, but I think getting to experience some of Izzy’s loneliness in 8 was important.
Issues 9 and 10 were pretty great.
It’s weird to think that this is The Mane Five’s first proper “save the world” adventure since A New Generation. There were a couple of moments where I thought about just writing the comics off, but it was a pretty solid adventure overall. I really liked how it involved investigation and coming up with a plan, rather than relying on friendship lasers. I’m looking forward to seeing more glimpses of the in-between time.
Posted Report
Background Pony #F4EA
Honestly, I feel the whole G5 is a (former) dystopia future of G4 is always going to be a major gripe with me. But it is what it is. shrugs Can’t really do anything about that.
On another note. “It’s Gonna Be My Day” is an underrated song and deserves more recognition.
Posted Report
DerpyFast
Pixel Perfection - Hot Pockets Spotted
Solar Supporter - Fought against the New Lunar Republic rebellion on the side of the Solar Deity (April Fools 2023).
Non-Fungible Trixie -
Friendship, Art, and Magic (2018) - Celebrated Derpibooru's six year anniversary with friends.

More thoughts on the IDW comic.
It seems like G5 has a “Continuity Soup” kind of deal. Thematically similar events happened at roughly the same time, even if it would be weird to try and discretely place them on a timeline. For example, “Growing Pains” and “Neigh Fever” both clearly take place after MYM 1. And I’ll take it. People are going to nitpick continuity anyways, so it seems like a good way to allow for creative freedom while still preserving some semblance of continuity.
We don’t see Earth Pony magic in the comics, the theme of the comics is “ponies feeling left out since magic returned”, and Zipp mentions that finding the crystal is her “first case”. I think we can place the comics between ANG and MYM 1, or Phase 1 as I call it. It would help explain why everyone was so complacent in MYM 1.
I think Discord is better at being Q in this comic than he was in G4. Q was a troll, but he was also there to test humanity and help it improve. I really like how Discord wasn’t just there for the sake of using something from G4. Like Q, he challenged The Mane Five’s assertions that they had made the world a better place.
CORDZ2000
Solar Hero - Went above and beyond for the Solar Deity, drawing from the power of the sun itself to bring balance to the fight against the Lunar Insurrection (April Fools 2023).

Draconequues Lover zcord
Finally got caught up on the comics, and I’m re-reading all of them as a refresher.
Love the foreshadowing in issue 2:
If you’re not paying attention to Fluttershy, you’re not paying attention to what really matters.
holy smokes
Posted Report
Background Pony #AAFC
@DerpyFast
I’ve finally found someone who actually prefers G5 having a smaller world that’s more developed over G4 having a bigger world that barely utilized so many of its barely developed locations, have some love, bro. When will bronies learn that bigger does not necessarily equal better when it comes to worldbuilding. If I’m being brutally honest, the worldbuilding in FiM went for quantity over quality.
But yeah, G5’s release schedule is still hot garbage. I mean, I’m glad we at least finally have news about a new special…through a toy, but I’m sure everyone would prefer to be getting news about the new episode batches. With episode batches, at least the best episodes of the batch can promote more optimistic discussion about G5. With just one special coming out after months of no new 3D content, pessimistic discussion about the special being underwhelming damages the reputation of the series so much more.
In any case, we need to get MYM back on track, and if TYT is to improve, the writers need to sharpen up after what had been seen in the last episode. The IDW comics can’t help for long as it looks like only single stories will be coming, although some of them are interesting as with the upcoming student for Izzy who has become popular as Misty and Opaline. A smaller world for the G5 becomes too small when there is not enough content. It becomes too long between the contents you get attached to.
It is not possible to avoid noticing that the interest in G5 is declining, and that is because while the Discord Arc fulfilled all expectations beforehand, C1 had sparked controversies around magic, C2 had signs that the G5 team was not quite on the track with their work and C3 was too passive with a lot of interesting stuff, but pretty tame in the end. The writers behind TYT make blunders several times such as with the treatment of Posey, Izzy’s behavior and Sparky’s behavior. It was in the last two episodes of C2 that it was felt that the G5 is on the right track. It is now a very long time since September 2022.
C1, C2 and C3 were completed before Hasbro announced that they will sell eOne which is responsible for the production of MYM. Since then, we have seen no sign of upcoming MYM work beyond vague news of an upcoming special. That may be where the G5 completely derailed.
It seems that Hasbro’s management is the problem.
Posted Report
Background Pony #AAFC
We have learned quite a lot from issue #10, not least about Fluttershy, who is now confirmed dead, and that means that everyone from the G4 generation has also passed away with a single exception, Discord who can appear in MYM/TYT as an old and tired draconequus which is no longer as strong as before. The way this is presented is interesting in itself; she manifested as a spirit when she comforted Discord and it could be seen that she exists in the world of mortals as a glowing pink-yellow butterfly. We have seen in the cover of #10 that her cutie marks were around Discord even in what was thought to be a memorial or mausoleum - instead this could be a glimpse of the Elysium or the heaven for the ponies. Where all of the Mane 6 have their cutie marks.
This then produces a hypothesis; What if the cutie marks are not only about the life, but also about the afterlife? We don’t know much about how the ponies got their names, only that the parents gave their foals names out of impulsiveness - yet it has been seen that these names were a good fit for the ponies’ future lives and careers. It is possible that cutie marks also dictate the fate of the pony. We have not received an answer about how the Sun and Moon move around Equus in G5, but it is speculated that this may be in connection with Celestia and Luna. And from C3 we discovered a mysterious star of a magical nature that traveled around the sky something like a shooting star and stopped once (maybe twice?) a year. A postcard in MYM revealed Twilight’s cutie mark as a shooting star.
If this hypothesis has any merit, it is possible that the fate of the immortal alicorns was already decided by their cutie marks. Then it means that Cadence will merge with the Crystal Heart, that Celestia and Luna will become one with the celestial bodies and that Twilight will become a star. It may be their last ascension from the world of mortals. But it is also seen that the cutie marks is about life for the ponies, it was predetermined that Twilight will meet her five close friends. And since these five “stars” do not appear, it is believed that she is not completely dead, perhaps because she is waiting.
So if the Sunny Starscout is destined to find Twilight, that also means she will ascend many centuries later to become a shooting star, when her “death” comes. Hmm… so when Twilight “died” after meeting Sunny, will the star disappear - or will the five smaller stars join the Wishing Star? Then they have been reunited forever.
Opaline’s cutie mark had predicted that she would become an alicorn, but did it predict her destiny? Anyone who plays with fire risks being consumed by the fire.
If Fluttershy can return to the world of mortals, so can the other heroines and heroes among the ponies of G4. They will undoubtedly follow what happens with the Mane 5, and cannot be observed unless their cutie marks are discovered. This gives an opportunity for Argyle to return one day in the G5.
And then it meant that all generations of My Little Pony since the beginning will never be gone. The magic is timeless. The cutie marks can be the very essence of the Ponykind in the past, present and future.
Posted Report
CloudMistDragon
Lunar Supporter - Helped forge New Lunar Republic's freedom in the face of the Solar Empire's oppressive tyrannical regime (April Fools 2023).
Artist -

Misty Shadow
@Background Pony #AAFC
Thank you for relaying the news of them selling eOne, I had no idea that was going on and can’t believe I knew about them selling Boulder Media but not that. Definitely the best theory for the reason for the delay so far.
Posted Report
Background Pony #0A37
Call me crazy but I think today’s TYT episode happens after MYM Chapter 4 aka “season 2”. Misty is with the Mane Five and she isn’t shy or trying to avoid attention. Not only that but Opaline doesn’t appear when she is alone and she’s got a new cutie mark. Yes, it is still a butterfly but it is different. Look at it. It is not the same one from the other episodes and looks like the one from that toyline about the upcoming Music Festival special.
Posted Report
TheQuietMan
Non-Fungible Trixie -
Preenhub - We all know what you were up to this evening~

House of the Arcana
Oh boy, Matpat mode activate. With a certificate of Insanity to show off as I try to piece everything g5 together.
Posted Report
Background Pony #C3F2
@CloudMistDragon
@Background Pony #AAFC
Being fair, part of the reason was the debt, which was the reason for eone’s music division getting sold.
If Hasbro sells eone, most likely, production would continue, but with a Hasbro credit instead of a eone logo.
Posted Report
Interested in advertising on Derpibooru? Click here for information!
The Travelling Pony Museum Shop!

Help fund the $15 daily operational cost of Derpibooru - support us financially!

Syntax quick reference: **bold** *italic* ||hide text|| `code` __underline__ ~~strike~~ ^sup^ %sub%

Detailed syntax guide