Opinions on what happened in The Ending of the End

Poll results: What do you think should have happened?

I'm satisfied with how the finale played out.
40.00% 8 votes
The villains were rightly punished, but Discord should've been punished, too.
25.00% 5 votes
Other (please explain)
15.00% 3 votes
The villains should've been redeemed and Discord should've been punished.
10.00% 2 votes
The villains should've been redeemd, but Discord doesn't need punishment.
10.00% 2 votes

Poll ended with 20 votes.

Background Pony #1555
I personally think the twist is stupid and Discord was being really, really stupid trying to solve a different kind of problem that wasn’t the thing he was trying to solve in the first place and brought up a lot of other problems. Buuut his heart was in the right place and he was genuinely trying to help Twilight. He was also genuinely regretful at how much problems his actions caused for Equestria and wanted to make things right. So, all that made me more sympathetic than if he was just trying to troll everyone for funsies.

I still think he got off too easy and should have gotten a harsher punishment though. Not stoning, but maybe like banishment to his home dimension for x amount of time or something. He and Fluttershy can still write letters and she can visit him if she wants, but he isn’t allowed in Equestria for a while.
Mr.Myoozik
StarTrix Forever! - Derpi Supporter
Silly Pony - Celebrated the 13th anniversary of MLP:FIM, and 40 years of MLP!
Shimmering Smile - Celebrated the 10th anniversary of Equestria Girls!
Solar Hero - Went above and beyond for the Solar Deity, drawing from the power of the sun itself to bring balance to the fight against the Lunar Insurrection (April Fools 2023).
Flower Trio - Helped others get their OC into the 2023 Derpibooru Collab.
Roseluck - Had their OC in the 2023 Derpibooru Collab.
King Sombra - Celebrated the 10th anniversary of The Crystal Empire!
A Lovely Nightmare Night - Celebrated the 12th anniversary of MLP:FIM!
Princess of Love - Extra special version for those who participated in the Canterlot Wedding 10th anniversary event by contributing art.
Tree of Harmony - Drew someone's OC for the 2022 Community Collab

Music Connoisseur
I was fine with the villains not being reformed and being turned to stone. It was clear to me that they were beyond salvation and imprisoning them again would’ve been a fruitless endeavor and letting them off scot free would’ve been dumb, so stoning them was the best option. As for the Grogar twist, I’m with the popular opinion that it sucked and it just sunk Discord’s character to a whole new low, but I enjoyed the rest of the episode too much that I’m not bothered too much about it. Also, the Chrysalis vs. Starlight fight was awesome, I never fanboyed so hard in my life!
Andyxdr
Solar Guardian - Refused to surrender in the face of the Lunar rebellion and showed utmost loyalty to the Solar Empire (April Fools 2023).
Cool Crow - "Caw!" An awesome tagger
Magnificent Metadata Maniac - #1 Assistant
Artist -
Preenhub - We all know what you were up to this evening~

Glowin' up!
Would people who think Discord needs to be punished agree that just because they think that doesn’t mean everyone else has to as well?
CORDZ2000
Solar Hero - Went above and beyond for the Solar Deity, drawing from the power of the sun itself to bring balance to the fight against the Lunar Insurrection (April Fools 2023).

Draconequues Lover zcord
@Background Pony #1555  
I think people often think this way both because of how his makeup is underrated and the idea of intentions vs what happens. For the makeup, Discord vowed to make things right and did so by deflecting a beam that could have possibly killed him to free starlight so the mane 6 and spike could escape and save EQ. Then he can be seen helping hold off the baddies by throwing rocks which looks funny but shows hes willing to put himself in danger to make things right. Even before this, he stays behind to listen to the trios plan and is shown staying behind to help hold up the pillar at the end of part 1.

Im for one who thinks that while yes the road to hell is paved with good intentions, your intentions will always matter. If discord acted as grogar and did what he did for the sake of power and just for a good laugh he would be a complete monster. With the knowledge that he was doing it for someone he cares for a friend to succeed as a ruler of a country it makes him more of a misguided antihero. Discord had zero ill intent by acting as grogar his chaotic mind was this will help my friend so i should do it. He was blindsided by what the results would be and therefore didn’t think things through. My friends are so amazing they can handle anything and im the master of chaos so I can be the perfect safety net if anything goes wrong.
DerpyFast
Solar Supporter - Fought against the New Lunar Republic rebellion on the side of the Solar Deity (April Fools 2023).
Non-Fungible Trixie -
My Little Pony - 1992 Edition
Wallet After Summer Sale -
Friendship, Art, and Magic (2018) - Celebrated Derpibooru's six year anniversary with friends.

He was blindsided by what the results would be and therefore didn’t think things through. My friends are so amazing they can handle anything and im the master of chaos so I can be the perfect safety net if anything goes wrong.

That’s kinda how I look at it. There’s a potentially interesting idea for a gambit in there. He gets these villains to team up. Maybe working together teaches them about friendship and they reform themselves. Maybe Twilight and her friends reform them. Both the audience and Twilight get a climactic final battle either way. I’d like to think that’s the intent, but there’s a lot of tissue missing, so I don’t think it works. Discord consistently screws up even the most basic tasks, so I have a hard time believing that’s he’s suddenly playing that kind of 4D chess.

I think the problem with Discord as a whole is that he’s Diet Chaotic Neutral instead of Full Chaotic Neutral. Good examples of CN done right are Captain Jack Sparrow or Rick Sanchez. They might save your life; they might screw you over. They have their own agenda: maybe you’re part of it, maybe you’re not. The bottom line is that they have the mojo to almost always be in control of the situation. That would have been a more interesting version of Discord. Some days he terrorizes Ponyville for his own amusement, some days he plays Ogres and Oubliettes with the gang. A “Go Karting With Bowser” kind of deal. He’s just “like that” and completely owns it.

Both the premise and the gambit angle would have worked if Discord was characterized like that. Discord miscalculating and losing control of a situation should mean something.
Andyxdr
Solar Guardian - Refused to surrender in the face of the Lunar rebellion and showed utmost loyalty to the Solar Empire (April Fools 2023).
Cool Crow - "Caw!" An awesome tagger
Magnificent Metadata Maniac - #1 Assistant
Artist -
Preenhub - We all know what you were up to this evening~

Glowin' up!
Okay, so now, voting is over. It appears that although there are slightly more people who don’t want Discord punished than there are people who do, there are more people who are mad at him than there are people who wanted the villains to turn good. I personally feel like if Discord was banished or imprisoned for what he did, the main characters would eventually miss having him around and want him back.
Background Pony #35BA
THE ENDING OF THE END SUCKED!!!!!!!! Also, to hell with discord he should have been the one to turn to stone!
Interested in advertising on Derpibooru? Click here for information!
Techy Cutie Pony Collection!

Help fund the $15 daily operational cost of Derpibooru - support us financially!

Syntax quick reference: **bold** *italic* ||hide text|| `code` __underline__ ~~strike~~ ^sup^ %sub%

Detailed syntax guide