Pony Venting Thread

Red-Supernova
Solar Supporter - Fought against the New Lunar Republic rebellion on the side of the Solar Deity (April Fools 2023).
Betrayal! - Betrayed their team for a badge. Shame forever!
Non-Fungible Trixie -
Ten years of changes - Celebrated the 10th anniversary of MLP:FiM!
My Little Pony - 1992 Edition
Friendship, Art, and Magic (2020) - Took part in the 2020 Community Collab
Wallet After Summer Sale -
Thread Starter - The Mega Man thread!
Not a Llama - Happy April Fools Day!
Friendship, Art, and Magic (2017) - Celebrated Derpibooru's five year anniversary with friends.

Passionate opinionator
@DerpyFast  
Sorry man. It felt like laughing in the face of fans who have different views on how they think the show should progress.

So you’re saying that putting the villain trio in stone was for the best so that the comics and the fans can decide their fates for them?

@ᏰᎯᎠᎻᎬᎯᏒᎿ  
Do my images count?

@Sadrai  
No, I found it funny at the time. Because it was an amusing “we’re really scrapping the bottom of the barrel here” moment.

@Terminal Red  
What’s wrong with fetish art?
DerpyFast
Pixel Perfection - Hot Pockets Spotted
Solar Supporter - Fought against the New Lunar Republic rebellion on the side of the Solar Deity (April Fools 2023).
Non-Fungible Trixie -
Friendship, Art, and Magic (2018) - Celebrated Derpibooru's six year anniversary with friends.

Sorry man. It felt like laughing in the face of fans who have different views on how they think the show should progress.

So here’s where I need to come clean. Right or wrong, I like to think that I put more thought and effort into my views than the average user, and that I try to look at the show not in terms of what I want, but in terms of the creator’s intent. So I tend to look down on views that clearly haven’t haven’t had much thought put into them. On the one hand, it’s absolutely snobbish and petty. But on the other hand, it’s a show for seven-year-olds, and I’d never lord my analysis of it outside the fandom.

So when someone gets super invested in something that wasn’t really in the cards to begin with, it’s less laughing and more:  

So you’re saying that putting the villain trio in stone was for the best so that the comics and the fans can decide their fates for them?

There is so much to unpack when it comes to The Ending of The End. I don’t actually think there’s a correct, definitive ending for The Legion of Doom (from a creative standpoint or an interpretive standpoint). So getting them together for the sake of a climactic final battle, then leaving their actual fate up to interpretation is the safest option that covers the most bases, albeit at the expense of most of the episode not really meaning anything, as well as disappointing people who were looking forward to Grogar.

The Discord Twist is sort of like how Best Night Ever played out; it’s an inferior creative choice that’s the result of compromise. Maybe the fact that it’s meta makes up for it, and maybe it doesn’t.
Sadrai

@Red-Supernova  
Yeah people are really looking for any character they can use for that meme also quick question do you think Button mash should have been in the final song flashback with the rest of characters?
DerpyFast
Pixel Perfection - Hot Pockets Spotted
Non-Fungible Trixie -
Friendship, Art, and Magic (2018) - Celebrated Derpibooru's six year anniversary with friends.

@Latecomer

@TheSultanAkbar

@Kiryu-Chan  
So, Best Night Ever doesn’t really make sense.

Why isn’t Pinkie instinctively trying to spice up the Gala?  
Why wasn’t Applejack hired to cater the event?  
Why are The Wonderbolts ignoring Rainbow Dash, even though she saved them and showed that she’s the best flier in Equestria?  
Why is Fluttershy suddenly incompetent with animals?  
Why isn’t Rarity using this opportunity to make business connections?  
Why isn’t Celestia showing off Twilight, her prized pupil, to the guests?

The answer is: because The Mane Six still needed something to do for the rest of the show, and the episode would have felt too final if everything had gone according to plan. So the episode ended up being about disappointment, and it disappointed a lot of people, which meant it ended up being meta.

Maybe “compromise” is the wrong word. “Narrative clunkiness” is probably better. If you know how story structure works, then you know about “rising action”, “climax”, and “denouement”. The writers of Season Nine were tasked with writing a climax and denouement for a story that hadn’t had a proper rising action up to that point, and didn’t have any major loose ends left to tie up. So something somewhere was always going to be contrived and unsatisfying.
TheSultanAkbar

@DerpyFast  
Ok, I see what you’re writing. Yes, that is an interesting bit of narriative… stuff.

I wasn’t around that far back. I joined in mid S2. People were really disapointed? I thought BNE was a fun comedy episode. It really didn’t feel like it was supposed to be a final to anything.

I’d say an episode like this makes more sense cartoon wise. I mean what, you’re gonna watch an episode of the Mane 6 work at achieving their goals? Fair, but that wouldn’t be entertaining in a slice of life way.

So I guess the point is, the writers ended the show the way they did because it needed to:  
-defeat all the remaining villains  
-Set Twilight up to replace the Princeses (the original plan anyway)

And there is no rising action since the show never had it. 95 % of it consists of comedic slice of life.

Sure, I couldn’t think of a better way to end it. Using real Grogar would open more possibilities, something they didn’t have time to expand upon.
Kiryu-Chan
Non-Fungible Trixie -

World's Okayest User
>BNE disappointed a lot of people

Either this is new to me or someone is pulling stuff out of their ass.

I was around just before S2 and that episode was often considered one of the best of S1, or top5 at the very least. Heck I’m more annoyed we never got any more finales like, just more stuff trying to be too big and epic in scale. I really wanted a masquerade
northern haste
Pixel Perfection - I still call her Lightning Bolt
Silly Pony - Celebrated the 13th anniversary of MLP:FIM, and 40 years of MLP!
Shimmering Smile - Celebrated the 10th anniversary of Equestria Girls!
Roseluck - Had their OC in the 2023 Derpibooru Collab.
King Sombra - Celebrated the 10th anniversary of The Crystal Empire!
A Lovely Nightmare Night - Celebrated the 12th anniversary of MLP:FIM!
Cool Crow - "Caw!" An awesome tagger
A Really Hyper Artist - 500+ images under their artist tag
Elements of Harmony - Had an OC in the 2022 Community Collab

Enter if you dare
Out of curiosity what unreached goal does eqg have?  
The actual school work never seem to be that important So I doubt them was planned for a graduation special. I saw someone claiming that the Dazzlings in sunset’s backstage pass! Was foreshadowing their role in a future special But they were included as a red herring And people also thought the shadowbolts In dance magic was foreshadowing something but that was not the case(and was pretty obvious it wasn’t)
Mr.Myoozik
StarTrix Forever! - Derpi Supporter
Solar Hero - Went above and beyond for the Solar Deity, drawing from the power of the sun itself to bring balance to the fight against the Lunar Insurrection (April Fools 2023).
Flower Trio - Helped others get their OC into the 2023 Derpibooru Collab.
Princess of Love - Extra special version for those who participated in the Canterlot Wedding 10th anniversary event by contributing art.

Music Connoisseur
@DerpyFast  
Judging by that, fan disappointment has existed even around that time. Really makes me think why people even hold high expectations on the first place and why they even stuck around for the show to begin with other than bandwagoning.
Latecomer

Why isn’t Pinkie instinctively trying to spice up the Gala?

She tried. It didn’t work very well.

Why wasn’t Applejack hired to cater the event?

Why would she be? They seem to have adequate food provision already.

Why are The Wonderbolts ignoring Rainbow Dash, even though she saved them and showed that she’s the best flier in Equestria?

The first genuine oddity - it’s as if the writers remembered Sonic Rainboom, but not how it ended.

Why is Fluttershy suddenly incompetent with animals?

I’d say there’s more likely something off with the animals than her… but I have no idea what.

Why isn’t Rarity using this opportunity to make business connections?

Because she’s seeking a romantic connection instead, and he’s very trying.

Why isn’t Celestia showing off Twilight, her prized pupil, to the guests?

Because that would make the already long greeting procedure even longer? If she wanted her to have a big public image, then this wouldn’t be her first Gala.

I don’t recall any grand fan disappointment either - if anything, there was controversy about how they wrecked the whole thing and got away scott free.

@northern haste  
Not so much an unreached goal, as a lack of any sort of resolution. Graduation is important not for academic reasons, but because it means they will leave Canterlot High (likely losing easy access to the portal) and quite probably go their separate ways. There’s still the problem of leaking magic too, and the question of the human Sunset Shimmer… quite a few things which feel like the show should have handled instead of inconsequntial stories like Winter Unwrapped.
Red-Supernova
Betrayal! - Betrayed their team for a badge. Shame forever!
Non-Fungible Trixie -
Ten years of changes - Celebrated the 10th anniversary of MLP:FiM!
Friendship, Art, and Magic (2020) - Took part in the 2020 Community Collab
Thread Starter - The Mega Man thread!
Friendship, Art, and Magic (2017) - Celebrated Derpibooru's five year anniversary with friends.

Passionate opinionator
@DerpyFast  
Ok, I think I understand now. Its just hard not to look into a show based on what you want. Especially when it comes to having a friend whose relationship with the show is similar and it brings me joy whenever I talk about this show with him.

@DerpyFast  
There is so much to unpack when it comes to The Ending of The End. I don’t actually think there’s a correct, definitive ending for The Legion of Doom (from a creative standpoint or an interpretive standpoint). So getting them together for the sake of a climactic final battle, then leaving their actual fate up to interpretation is the safest option that covers the most bases, albeit at the expense of most of the episode not really meaning anything, as well as disappointing people who were looking forward to Grogar.

Even though I wanted my selfish desire, I think this also makes more sense. My thoughts against Discord still stand though.
RogueBadnik
Lunar Supporter - Helped forge New Lunar Republic's freedom in the face of the Solar Empire's oppressive tyrannical regime (April Fools 2023).
Non-Fungible Trixie -

⌜Ω⌟
@DerpyFast
Judging by that, fan disappointment has existed even around that time. Really makes me think why people even hold high expectations on the first place and why they even stuck around for the show to begin with other than bandwagoning.

I just feel that teenagers and adults were expecting something serious, dark or edgy in a cartoon full of colorful horses. Much like people is having on the IDW Crossover between MLP and Transformers.
Mr.Myoozik
Solar Hero - Went above and beyond for the Solar Deity, drawing from the power of the sun itself to bring balance to the fight against the Lunar Insurrection (April Fools 2023).
Princess of Love - Extra special version for those who participated in the Canterlot Wedding 10th anniversary event by contributing art.

Music Connoisseur
@[Ω]  
Really, the show got extremely lucky that it managed to be good enough to attract an adult fanbase at its start, they just thought that that luck would continue as they stuck around and the show developed more. It’s like you said, it’s a cartoon about tiny colorful horses made by a toy company whose sole intent was to market toys and merchandising, it wasn’t like Avatar The Last Airbender or Adventure Time or even Steven Universe which can do so much more with their premises and ideas.
Twi Clown
Elements of Harmony - Had an OC in the 2022 Community Collab
Non-Fungible Trixie -
Kinship Through Differences - Celebrated the 11th anniversary of MLP:FIM!

Übermensch in training
@[Ω]

I agree. Granted, fan content could give such kind of material, though I admit I was taken aback by some stuff as well. In fact, it was thanks to MLP that I started to also take a like for lighthearted things as well.
Latecomer

@Myoozik  
It’s not incapable of doing more - it just needs writers and execs who are on board. (In fact, they started trying in the later seasons, but it didn’t quite work out as planned.)
Mr.Myoozik

Music Connoisseur
@Latecomer  
I didn’t say it wasn’t capable of doing so because if it wasn’t, then we wouldn’t be here talking with one another. What I’m saying is that since it’s based off of a property that always marketed itself for little girls and was intended to entertain them, it was pretty limited on what it can do and stories that it can tell, but the writers certainly tried their best and it paid off.
Interested in advertising on Derpibooru? Click here for information!
Techy Cutie Pony Collection!

Help fund the $15 daily operational cost of Derpibooru - support us financially!

Syntax quick reference: **bold** *italic* ||hide text|| `code` __underline__ ~~strike~~ ^sup^ %sub%

Detailed syntax guide