Pony Venting Thread

Mr.Myoozik
StarTrix Forever! - Derpi Supporter
Silly Pony - Celebrated the 13th anniversary of MLP:FIM, and 40 years of MLP!
Shimmering Smile - Celebrated the 10th anniversary of Equestria Girls!
Solar Hero - Went above and beyond for the Solar Deity, drawing from the power of the sun itself to bring balance to the fight against the Lunar Insurrection (April Fools 2023).
Flower Trio - Helped others get their OC into the 2023 Derpibooru Collab.
Roseluck - Had their OC in the 2023 Derpibooru Collab.
King Sombra - Celebrated the 10th anniversary of The Crystal Empire!
A Lovely Nightmare Night - Celebrated the 12th anniversary of MLP:FIM!
Princess of Love - Extra special version for those who participated in the Canterlot Wedding 10th anniversary event by contributing art.
Tree of Harmony - Drew someone's OC for the 2022 Community Collab

Music Connoisseur
@DerpyFast
So I’ve heard. Since I personally liked the Season 9 finale myself, I knew that I was going to disagree with it so I didn’t bother with a lot of it, just what the author had to say behind the scenes.
  1. Pretty odd for the author to overlook that, but I think since it was supposed to be the grand epic finale to a show that was this impactful to a lot of people, I think they developed tunnel vision and just plainly focused on them.
  2. That I can definitely agree that it’s how reality works, but keep in mind that FIM is a work of fiction and as we all know, fiction doesn’t always have to follow the rules and conventions of real life.
  3. Also agree there, though I don’t know how the fandom will take it if they did decide to reform them considering all the complaining about how all the villains kept getting reformed.
  4. Well it ultimately depends on how you write a character because you can have a villain be irredeemably evil and then decide to turn over a new leaf with enough pressure or be someone who just doesn’t want redemption, what matters is the execution.
  5. Like I said in my main post, it’s a fix fic so I knew that it was going to be nothing but an author filibuster and that they were gonna take a cartoon show too seriously.
Penguin Dragneel
Solar Supporter - Fought against the New Lunar Republic rebellion on the side of the Solar Deity (April Fools 2023).
Non-Fungible Trixie -
Preenhub - We all know what you were up to this evening~
Thread Starter - Weeb Wars: The Anime Controversy Thread
Ten years of changes - Celebrated the 10th anniversary of MLP:FiM!
Artist -
My Little Pony - 1992 Edition
Wallet After Summer Sale -

The Latest Tax Write-Off
@Lord WyrmSpawN
I was moreso mentioning Dio and the others to show that not everyone deserves redemption. Even in a cartoon with little to no mature themes such as MLP.
I mean, seriously, Tirek was vaporized by a rainbow in G1! It’s not even anything new to the franchise.
Background Pony #F853
Deletion reason: Rule #6 - Ban evasion, weirdly linking to their own comment on an image
Background Pony #F853
Deletion reason: Rule #6 - Ban evasion, off topic as heck, and weirdly attempting to necro a year old post that appears to be their own
Mr.Myoozik
Solar Hero - Went above and beyond for the Solar Deity, drawing from the power of the sun itself to bring balance to the fight against the Lunar Insurrection (April Fools 2023).
Princess of Love - Extra special version for those who participated in the Canterlot Wedding 10th anniversary event by contributing art.

Music Connoisseur
I feel like some people really need to let it go when it comes to their hatred of a character. There’s a difference between hating and disliking a character and hating and disliking a character incessantly and making sure everyone knows about it. Especially prevalent in places that don’t even mention said character or is contextually different but still use it as excuses to regurgitate the same points over and over again.
AC97
Lunar Supporter - Helped forge New Lunar Republic's freedom in the face of the Solar Empire's oppressive tyrannical regime (April Fools 2023).
Non-Fungible Trixie -

So there’s this comic that caught my eye called “Fix” which like the title says, is a fix fic/vent piece towards the Season 9 finale. I skimmed most of it because I knew what I was getting into but on one of the recent panels, I read the description and I do have something to say there. I can understand his frustration over the Princesses choosing to stone the Trio instead of trying to redeem them and I can somewhat get his point about how it goes against the idea of friendship and all that, but I drew the line over the claims that it “ruined the entire show” cause it just sounded like exaggeration. That entire finale coloring their perception of the whole show is just absurdly ludicrous and I really can’t get behind that thinking. It sounded like they were treating the whole thing way way too seriously and it’s just dumb to me. That and another description I read where they said that they can’t watch G5 because of the finale is also pretty stupid.
It’s pretty much why I’m not a fan of fix fics cause most of the time it just seems like excuses for the author to vent out and whine by using the characters as mouthpieces.
I found it absolutely insufferable how Twilight had the gall to bring up Sombra in the context of how banishing them and such fails, “perpetuates the cycle,” despite being perfectly fine with how he was dealt with both times (dying), and how heavy-handed the Designated AntagonistsTM always were, between the attempted changeling genociders (Chrysalis would be gleefully gloating about getting “justice” in canon if that actually happened, so I cannot accept that backstory as being remotely rational, period), or how Celestia and Luna approached banishing them with cartoonishly evil gloating.
If you want them to be reformed, fair enough, but if you’re changing literally nothing about what happened before, despite loathing it, all so you can, as you said, using a character as a mouthpiece, or otherwise use it as a vehicle for a rant, you’ve fucked up from a storytelling perspective, and it’s questionable you’re even Fix-ing anything to begin with.
From an in-universe perspective, it just doesn’t make sense to me for Twilight’s perspective on them to inexplicably change to “I can’t deal with the failure” (to such an extreme of suicide connotations in the letter, and her actions… and she gives control to the two she had such a problem with what they did, completely ignoring that if she never got out, it’s impossible for her to affect things further) when she’s been perfectly fine with Tirek sitting in Tartarus for five full seasons, and more than likely feeling similar regarding Chrysalis, had she been imprisoned or something. It’s not like she’d suddenly “know” that they could be reached, or come to believe they can, without explanation (no, nightmares aren’t an explanation). I could believe she’d be more torn on how Cozy went, but… that’s how a story failed to get me sold on its premise, more or less.
Somehow, as DerpyFast said, Twilight managed to make it all about her.
It’s also a case of where an inconsistent mindset, not getting an editor can get you, with them flip-flopping between the above “Twilight hates what those two did so much she can’t deal with it but she’s giving them control again,” or something like saying showing abuse you can’t do justice, and it’s too dark, but then showing attempted genocide is somehow fine.
…but yeah, that’s the “basic” rundown, I think. It’s a case where someone’s emotions on a matter… consumed them, it looks like.
I feel like some people really need to let it go when it comes to their hatred of a character. There’s a difference between hating and disliking a character and hating and disliking a character incessantly and making sure everyone knows about it. Especially prevalent in places that don’t even mention said character or is contextually different but still use it as excuses to regurgitate the same points over and over again.
This.
It’s annoying as all get out and makes Fun Discourse more or less… impossible, so you’re not inclined to bother. I think we both know which character in the show we’re thinking of; there’s even… art to attest to this. I feel like I’d be annoyed at it even if I disliked them/was lukewarm.
DerpyFast
Solar Supporter - Fought against the New Lunar Republic rebellion on the side of the Solar Deity (April Fools 2023).
Non-Fungible Trixie -
Friendship, Art, and Magic (2018) - Celebrated Derpibooru's six year anniversary with friends.

You know what really pisses me off about Fall of Equestria and the million spin-offs its gotten? Actual horses are treated with more dignity and respect.
AC97
Lunar Supporter - Helped forge New Lunar Republic's freedom in the face of the Solar Empire's oppressive tyrannical regime (April Fools 2023).
Non-Fungible Trixie -

@DerpyFast
It’s not like the premise makes any damn sense either, for a myriad of reasons, and yes, it’s extremely gratuitous by nature, to say the least. I’ve pretty much only gotten enjoyment out of things that ultimately tear it apart as a setting, in the end, somehow, and if that’s a bit childish by nature, I’m fine with that, in that case.
Roseluck
Roseluck - For supporting the site

@DerpyFast
@AC97
Fall of Equestria is the one with the Caribou, right? I wasn’t aware it went beyond just one fic from just one author. Shows the attention I paid to the FIMFiction community.
Funnily enough, this reminded me of something else that launched a thousand fics. A Canterlot Wedding spawned its own group of accusation fics back then. The one story I remember being good, like the author merely took an opportunity to explore what-ifs and ran with it rather than, well, venting their rage (whether at the episode or its reaction fics), turns out to have included Caribou.
As in, the species. They had nothing to do with the Caesar’s Legion 2.0 of FoE, other than (understandably) triggering several red flags among the readers when they showed up. Incidentally how I learned about FoE’s Caribou were even a thing to begin with.
Here’s the link for those interested: A Different Bridal Path by Stainless Steel Fox.
(I’ll reread it when I have time, to make sure I didn’t remember it wrong and therefore gave ‘false advertising’ by mistake.)
Mr.Myoozik

Music Connoisseur
@AC97
That’s really what happens when you let your emotions get to you when it comes to writing a fix fic, you just sound whiny and an excuse to complain without ever really “fixing” things. I get that it has “fic” in its name meaning that it doesn’t always have to adhere to the rules of the source material and it’s all creative liberty, but I feel like when it comes to these kinds of fanfictions, you have to make it at least consistent to the source material if you want your point to get across easier. For example, I read this one fix fic of The Mysterious Mare Do Well where after the episode, the Mane 5 throw Rainbow Dash a party to congratulate her for her heroism and during it, Dash nonchalantly says about how the whole dilemma was really making her feel and her friends felt bad for their actions. In that fic, it worked because all the characters were in-character, it didn’t make it all melodramatic with its tone and had an understanding of the episode. If “Fix” was more like that, then maybe I would see what they were coming from but the harsh and whiny tone of it all kept me away combined with the author’s ramblings.
About the fic itself, if Twilight wanted to feel bad for stoning them, I feel like there should be a valid excuse for it like doing more research about the three, getting more information from the two Princesses or even some outside force breaking them free and causing even more havoc for her to realize that it wasn’t the best option. That and actually understand Twilight more as a character instead of rewriting her to be a mouthpiece.
Penguin Dragneel
Non-Fungible Trixie -
Artist -

The Latest Tax Write-Off
@AC97
I think at this point, the people in the comments section are just as bad as the fanfic itself.
It doesn’t matter how you word your argument, or how in-depth and complete it is. If it even remotely goes against what those folks say, they will try and tear you from limb to limb. They will insult you, demean you, and do anything they can to try and get you falsely outed as a troll.
No, I’m not exaggerating. That’s exactly what it feels like.
DerpyFast
Non-Fungible Trixie -
Friendship, Art, and Magic (2018) - Celebrated Derpibooru's six year anniversary with friends.

@Roseluck
I don’t think I was aware that it started as a fic. I just remember Smudge Proof taking emergency commissions to pay medical bills, then a bunch of pictures started cropping up. I’ve since lost track of how deep the rabbit hole goes.
AC97
Non-Fungible Trixie -

I’d thought a bit about an old fanfic with an interesting concept, “The Ultimate Alicorn,” and I think that portrayal of Tirek never made sense, even within the context of just S4; he probably wouldn’t kill all of his leverage in an attempt to break Twilight’s spirit, after she ran off to get the Amulet. He’d be more likely to torture one of them, maybe kill one. Tirek doesn’t seem to be much of a gambling type, and doing what he did there, even absent the Amulet being found on Twilight’s part, would’ve done one of two things: break her spirit… or Twilight has nothing to lose in her eyes, be pretty much bloodlusted, and will resort to anything, probably up to and including learning and using dark magic to kill him.
I liked it still, but it just… isn’t too logical about how contrived it is, to get to that point. It seems more like something Chrysalis might’ve done, but even then, I’m not sure…
…probably not the ideal thread for that. Ah well.
Fall of Equestria is the one with the Caribou, right? I wasn’t aware it went beyond just one fic from just one author. Shows the attention I paid to the FIMFiction community.
Yep, got it in one, and yes, there’s definitely more than one fic on the matter. A lot of stories more or less centered around killing/curb-stomping caribou somehow, too.
Funnily enough, this reminded me of something else that launched a thousand fics. A Canterlot Wedding spawned its own group of accusation fics back then. The one story I remember being good, like the author merely took an opportunity to explore what-ifs and ran with it rather than, well, venting their rage (whether at the episode or its reaction fics), turns out to have included Caribou.
As in, the species. They had nothing to do with the Caesar’s Legion 2.0 of FoE, other than (understandably) triggering several red flags among the readers when they showed up. Incidentally how I learned about FoE’s Caribou were even a thing to begin with.
…Interesting to note, and yeah, ACW did result in a lot of that stuff.
For example, I read this one fix fic of The Mysterious Mare Do Well where after the episode, the Mane 5 throw Rainbow Dash a party to congratulate her for her heroism and during it, Dash nonchalantly says about how the whole dilemma was really making her feel and her friends felt bad for their actions. In that fic, it worked because all the characters were in-character, it didn’t make it all melodramatic with its tone and had an understanding of the episode. If “Fix” was more like that, then maybe I would see what they were coming from but the harsh and whiny tone of it all kept me away combined with the author’s ramblings.
Yeah, that sounds like a fic where it’s somewhat evenhanded, doesn’t devolve too far into that thing.
There were so many more sensible things Twilight could’ve done that didn’t include turning herself to stone and giving control to Celestia and Luna. Like, she could’ve decided to ask Luna how to dreamwalk, for her desired purpose of understanding them (she has an indefinite amount of time to figure this out, if she feels so inclined, free them from stone and keep them contained another way while she figures it out, need not get them involved), or she could’ve brought that Deus Ex Flashback Potion from Princess Twilight Sparkle, that is, the S4 premiere, into play.
You can also try a “unite against common enemy” thing, under some circumstance, probably.
@DerpyFast
I think it might’ve started as art commissions, and turned into fics/spawned them. I’m not entirely sure. One of the “biggest” stories that used to be in “FOE canon,” Bruised Apples, turned out to be, more or less, a grand deception on the part of the author to show how nonsensical the story was, under its established facts, how it realistically wouldn’t last, if they’d even logically take over to begin with… so it built up to having Big Mac snap the Caribou King’s neck, ultimately; he didn’t see himself as a hero for doing that, after the fact.
It fell out of canon because it’s basically a rule that in FOE “canon,” the caribou cannot lose, more or less. That’s one more factor to add to why it’s loathed so much as a setting/premise, because not only are they complete scum, even in ways that don’t make sense, their entire “culture” being to dominate and degrade the other sex, but they’re supposed to be too OP to lose. They’re an entire race of Villain Stus.
DerpyFast
Non-Fungible Trixie -

There were so many more sensible things Twilight could’ve done that didn’t include turning herself to stone and giving control to Celestia and Luna. Like, she could’ve decided to ask Luna how to dreamwalk, for her desired purpose of understanding them (she has an indefinite amount of time to figure this out, if she feels so inclined, free them from stone and keep them contained another way while she figures it out, need not get them involved), or she could’ve brought that Deus Ex Flashback Potion from Princess Twilight Sparkle, that is, the S4 premiere, into play.
There’s so much wrong with it that I keep flip-flopping on whether “Fix Abridged” would be worth the trouble of making.
“Hey boss. The thought occurs. These changelings aren’t anything like what our employer described. Kinda seems like we’d be committing genocide here. Shouldn’t we at least have a scene where we have second thoughts about this?”
“No. We’re supposed to be one-dimensional monsters that only exist to make Chrysalis look sympathetic.”
“Okay… Then why did the comic go to the trouble of humanizing us?”
“Just shut up and do your job.”
Chrysalis: “And that’s what I meant by ‘since I was small’!”
Twilight: “You were literally the biggest thing in the flashback.”
FOE stuff
Really, it’s like someone looked up the atrocities committed by warlords and went “Okay, what about that, but with cartoon ponies?”
Penguin Dragneel
Non-Fungible Trixie -
Artist -

The Latest Tax Write-Off
Another page of Fix came out. Seems like the author’s caught on to some of the criticism, because they’ve handwaved what happened regarding Sombra and the Storm King in the series as being “out of Twilight’s control.”
I’m calling bulls##t.
Roseluck
Roseluck - For supporting the site

A lot of stories more or less centered around killing/curb-stomping caribou somehow, too.
Can’t say I’m surprised. When DerpyFast mentioned how many spin-offs it had, because of the subject matter, I figured it meant Fall of Equestria had pulled a Conversion Bureau: a pitched battle between supporters and haters of the universe. Or between “ponies, the master race” and “humanity, the REAL master race” from what little I’ve heard…
Not that I know much about that universe either, I somehow managed to avoid all drama on FIMFiction. Even though I joined the fandom between Twilicorn and Equestria Girls.
(…) They’re an entire race of Villain Stus.
Well, seems they got the supremacist’s ego trip thing I hinted at alright.
I don’t think I was aware that it started as a fic.
Like I said, I didn’t pay much attention. I just assumed it started as a fic, because I was on FIMFiction when I learned about it. Didn’t really think much about other media when I did, I never even watched all the abridged series/MLP is Witcraft/whatever that were all the rage on YouTube back then.
That’s how the magic works in Fix. The only possible way Twilight can see their backstories is to turn herself to stone.
That’s hilarious, considering we’ve got Zecora in canon… who’s always been a plot device rather than a character. Twilight needs a plot coupon to the next step in the episode? Zecora shows up, either with wisdom about time travel, the flashback potion AC97 mentioned, and probably more I forgot.
Maybe before the comic, Princess Twilight went to her hut for an easy answer and only found a note taped to her door: My sincerest apologies for the hassle, but your plot device is in another castle.
Seriously though, Fix… never cared much for it. Because I don’t care for the terrible trio to begin with. Didn’t even watch the last two seasons. Now, a comic about Tirek alone, I’d love. Especially if she somehow teamed up with either Rainbow, Starlight, or both.
That said, as far as venting is concerned, I do hope that at least it’s actually cathartic for DeusExEquus. If I were to draw/write something to vent about what I hate in G4, I’d only feel worse because it’d be twisting the knife in the wound rather than closure.
Hell, I can’t even write regular stories about it because there’s so much I find wrong in the franchise. Hence why I went for ‘merely’ drawing and mulling about writing Fallout: Equestria fics and/or comics.
DerpyFast
Non-Fungible Trixie -

That said, as far as venting is concerned, I do hope that at least it’s actually cathartic for DeusExEquus.
Me too. For all its faults, I respect the hell out of the drive to keep working on it.
Interested in advertising on Derpibooru? Click here for information!
KilianKuro Commissions!

Help fund the $15 daily operational cost of Derpibooru - support us financially!

Syntax quick reference: **bold** *italic* ||hide text|| `code` __underline__ ~~strike~~ ^sup^ %sub%

Detailed syntax guide