Pony Venting Thread

Wiimeiser
Solar Supporter - Fought against the New Lunar Republic rebellion on the side of the Solar Deity (April Fools 2023).
Roseluck - Had their OC in the 2023 Derpibooru Collab.
Elements of Harmony - Had an OC in the 2022 Community Collab
Twinkling Balloon - Took part in the 2021 community collab.
My Little Pony - 1992 Edition
Friendship, Art, and Magic (2020) - Took part in the 2020 Community Collab
Dream Come True! - Participated in the MLP 9th Anniversary Event
Wallet After Summer Sale -
A Tale For The Ages - Celebrated MLP's 35th Anniversary and FiM's 8th Anniversary
An Artist Who Rocks - 100+ images under their artist tag

(Foil Hat)
@Latecomer
Australia. It seems to primarily be KMart (who actually stopped selling MLP stuff a few years ago for one reason or another, not sure why.) and Target who are skipping the G5 merch, but only a small handful of stores seem to be selling it in general (Big W, Toyworld, Best and Less, and The Reject Shop), don’t know if it’s just because it’s new or if it’s for other reasons.
@northern haste
Not sure if it’s happening here, but I’ve heard that some people have complained about the movie for that exact reason.
Background Pony #4048
@northern haste
Indeed. It makes it sound as if he’s implying not watching G5 makes us bigots.
@DerpyFast
Well, by the same token we don’t necessarily need to enjoy a show if it doesn’t attract us either. Fans could get entitled indeed, but that doesn’t guarantee every move the creators do it’s automatically right either.
Red-Supernova
Solar Supporter - Fought against the New Lunar Republic rebellion on the side of the Solar Deity (April Fools 2023).
Betrayal! - Betrayed their team for a badge. Shame forever!
Non-Fungible Trixie -
Ten years of changes - Celebrated the 10th anniversary of MLP:FiM!
Thread Starter - The Mega Man thread!
Not a Llama - Happy April Fools Day!
Friendship, Art, and Magic (2017) - Celebrated Derpibooru's five year anniversary with friends.

Passionate opinionator
@Starponys87
Wow. I know some guys on a Discord server I’m on who will ask if you’re out of your goddamn mind because they will not hesitate to put down those seasons. They’re sadly more justified by the fact that they actually read those leaked emails in 2018 that revealed the terrible truth about the writing process of later years and the pitiful excuses Jim Miller gave when asked about continuity errors.
@Wiimeiser
Everytime there was a big change shown at the beginning and end of a season always made this fandom bleed fans. Stuff in between like the different fandom “gates” also didn’t help either.
@Starponys87
I might sound crazy but I don’t think the target demographic would mind playing something where their favorite characters beat the crap out of each other. Then again, I’m just defending Fighting is Magic for shallow reasons since it was made by fans who love the show. Also you could say the fighting is friendly sparring.
@DerpyFast
I hate to prove that entitlement is right but how else did this show get as popular as it did? Wasn’t this show gonna be hit by the 65 episode curse before the unexpected success due to the bronies?
Thing is, I figured Faust’s plate of ideas would be the new standard of the franchise. What did they have before? Dumb fluff. Why wouldn’t you go for the dumb fluff again? Unless you really wanted to keep the adult fandom away from the franchise in a very cold fashion.
@Starponys87
The sad thing is, most adult bronies don’t like the comics because most of the time, the personalities of the characters don’t match with the same characters they’ve seen in the show. We don’t know if we feel that fanfics can understand these characters better or if our standards are way too strict.
Red-Supernova
Non-Fungible Trixie -
Friendship, Art, and Magic (2017) - Celebrated Derpibooru's five year anniversary with friends.

Passionate opinionator
@Wiimeiser
According to the leaked emails that these guys chose to read when they could have been happier without knowing the truth, Jim Miller gave a new show bible (not the one Lauren made) to the freelance writers that gives them three example episodes towards whatever character they are writing for, and these guys told me that the examples they gave for the characters were shitty episodes. Pretty much surface level stuff about these characters rather than studying the whole show of everything before then. For example, they could have wrote for Applejack “………she likes apples.” And they had nobody keeping the internal lore consistent since all of the original show writers were all gone after Season 5.
Red-Supernova
Non-Fungible Trixie -

Passionate opinionator
@Background Pony #23C0
I think for the most part, they got the characters pretty accurately with what little material they were given. But this seriously explains episodes like Daring Doubt. They really should have been given more episodes or hell, watch the whole series as a requirement.
And regarding Jim Miller, when he was asked certain questions like why was Fluttershy’s knowledge of sewing forgotten he said “Gosh, its just a girls’ show.”
DerpyFast
Non-Fungible Trixie -
Friendship, Art, and Magic (2018) - Celebrated Derpibooru's six year anniversary with friends.

I hate to prove that entitlement is right but how else did this show get as popular as it did?
Because it’s a good show.
Wasn’t this show gonna be hit by the 65 episode curse before the unexpected success due to the bronies?
I doubt it. The show would keep getting made as long as the toys were selling. I somehow doubt the fandom that sarcastically quipped “buy our toys” was spending that kind of money.
Thing is, I figured Faust’s plate of ideas would be the new standard of the franchise. What did they have before? Dumb fluff. Why wouldn’t you go for the dumb fluff again? Unless you really wanted to keep the adult fandom away from the franchise in a very cold fashion.
There’s a lot to unpack here.
I don’t just mean “making a good show”. Faust worked wonders for the franchise, and I’d say Season One is still the most holistic and well-crafted season. I’m talking more about the setting and character details.
The issue is that a lot of her ideas had a shelf life/diminishing returns. Season One was a complex, purposefully-structured, interwoven set of character studies. Just when you thought you had a character figured out, you’d get an episode that revealed a whole other side to them. But without a clear goal or end point, you’ll just end up endlessly tacking on character details until you’re left with a bloated, unwieldy mess of continuity. Twilight and her friends saving the world once or twice is great. If they keep doing it season after season, it starts to get stale, and it undermines Celestia and the rest of the world.
The other issue is that the show is filled with cute little ideas that are fine for a kid’s show (and mesh well with the themes), but they really do not make for a comprehensive or robust setting. Faust herself said that they didn’t hammer the logic that hard. So far, G5 has been hammering the logic in all the ways I wanted.
I think it’s worth mentioning that during Season One, the fandom seriously over-hyped the show, and would bend over backwards to give the show the benefit of the doubt. On more than one occasion, early fans would use “it’s a kid’s show” as a defense. I watched Season One a few years ago, and if it had been held to the standards that the later show was held to, there would not have been a fandom. In fact, I’m pretty sure these people would have an existential crisis if they went back and watched Season One.
[…]Jim Miller gave a new show bible (not the one Lauren made) to the freelance writers that gives them three example episodes towards whatever character they are writing for,[…]
That’s a good idea, though. The problem with watching every episode is that different people interpret things in different ways. Even with context, two people could watch the series and come away with completely different ideas about how the show should be written. What’s actually important, and what’s just filler? What are considered “the good ones” and “the bad ones”? Plus, continuity drifts and characterization marches on; what was written in Faust’s bible might be obsolete by the time a later season rolled around.
So if the executive producer has a creative vision, it makes sense for them to just direct their writers to episodes that serve as examples for that vision.
But this seriously explains episodes like Daring Doubt.
What’s ironic is that if you’ve watched all the Daring Do episodes, you can see that “challenging preconceived ideas” was a central theme. So for the final episode, it would make sense to apply that theme to the villains.
Mr.Myoozik
StarTrix Forever! - Derpi Supporter
Silly Pony - Celebrated the 13th anniversary of MLP:FIM, and 40 years of MLP!
Shimmering Smile - Celebrated the 10th anniversary of Equestria Girls!
Solar Hero - Went above and beyond for the Solar Deity, drawing from the power of the sun itself to bring balance to the fight against the Lunar Insurrection (April Fools 2023).
Flower Trio - Helped others get their OC into the 2023 Derpibooru Collab.
King Sombra - Celebrated the 10th anniversary of The Crystal Empire!
A Lovely Nightmare Night - Celebrated the 12th anniversary of MLP:FIM!
Princess of Love - Extra special version for those who participated in the Canterlot Wedding 10th anniversary event by contributing art.
Tree of Harmony - Drew someone's OC for the 2022 Community Collab

Music Connoisseur
I always thought that the people who took those writing leaks seriously were out of their minds in judging the later seasons since like it says in the word, those were leaks that weren’t meant to be shown to the public
Red-Supernova
Non-Fungible Trixie -

Passionate opinionator
@DerpyFast
Indeed it is. But I’m sure it was gonna get canned early before we stepped in.
Yeah, a lot of them don’t even buy the toys. I at least bought the vinyl figures, at least one toy set and the trading cards.
Wow man, you really studied Season 1 to hell and back here.
Personally, I’m fine with Twilight and her friends saving the world a lot. It feeds into my “convert this show into a video game” mentality well. But the show needed to show off variety which Season 1 does quite well. But I don’t want the action and lore to be tossed aside for G5.
You could say we did over-hype this show.
I am having a hard time understanding how G5 is handling that logic compared to Faust’s experience.
I really don’t want to say for this part. The guys I talked to implied that the writers who were given the sample episodes were major fuck ups when they made their episodes because the episodes they were given were also fuck ups as well. And from what I heard, these writers were given MINIMAL details about the characters they were supposed to write for. Personally, I think these writers should have been given more example episodes to work with.
I have watched all Daring Do episodes and they really could have avoided all of this by having Ahuizotl bring up the curse stuff he wanted to unleash with each artifact Daring Do was after.
@Myoozik
Well the reason these guys read those leaks is because they were unsatisfied with what they were getting at the show at the moment. See, these guys make a lot of content and I unfortunately don’t which has given me the crackpot theory that the more content you create towards a certain subject, the more intolerant you become towards the official content of that subject!
Starponys87
Lunar Supporter - Helped forge New Lunar Republic's freedom in the face of the Solar Empire's oppressive tyrannical regime (April Fools 2023).
Princess of Love - Extra special version for those who participated in the Canterlot Wedding 10th anniversary event by contributing art.
Artist -

Friends with Autism
@Red-Supernova
Imagine trying to build a story about Fluttershy with only “The Best Night Ever” to go by. You’d think that she was a monster in sheep’s clothing. And you might think that Rarity was little more than a gold digger, and that her good deeds were more about buying popularity than anything else. Actually, those would have been reasonable conclusions until later seasons resolved these problems with character development.
Starponys87
Lunar Supporter - Helped forge New Lunar Republic's freedom in the face of the Solar Empire's oppressive tyrannical regime (April Fools 2023).
Artist -

Friends with Autism
@Red-Supernova
Ironically, I bought some of the toys before I ever became a true fan of MLP. For example, alicorn Twilight was too adorable for me to resist.
The first two seasons disappointed me with character development, and the words “friendship is magic” sometimes seemed like a bad joke. Moreover, I felt the show presented boys as inferior.
For seven years, I boycotted the show. I never would have become a brony unless I had been attracted by the visual effects in the movie trailer. Finding that the movie was one of the most beautiful and inspirational I had seen, I decided to give the show another chance. That was when I learned about the Student 6 and the School of Friendship.
Finally, I started to feel properly included as a man. And the show seemed truly serious about promoting friendship. Over time, I learned that things had been getting progressively better in those areas from Season 3 forward.
Mr.Myoozik
Solar Hero - Went above and beyond for the Solar Deity, drawing from the power of the sun itself to bring balance to the fight against the Lunar Insurrection (April Fools 2023).

Music Connoisseur
@Red-Supernova
I get that, but I still don’t think that excuses people from doomsaying about the show afterwards because of again, information that shouldn’t have been seen to the public.
Red-Supernova
Non-Fungible Trixie -

Passionate opinionator
@Starponys87
Maybe those episodes could have been on those example sheets the freelance writers were given for each character but maybe not. All I’m told from the guys who read the leaks is that the episodes they chose were “bad” which possibly translates to episodes they didn’t like. They weren’t specific and we all know taste is subjective here.
@Starponys87
Coincidentally, one of the guys I’ve spoke to about the leaks considers Alicorn Twilight and Rainbow Dash to be the worst characters as time went on.
DerpyFast would say otherwise as they just posted above about what Season 1`was meant to accomplish. Still, I can understand why the first two seasons weren’t enough to win you over.
Yeah. Back then when it came to boy characters, all we had were Snips and Snails whom I remember you saw them as ugly caricatures of boys. As a franchise that started off marketed towards little girls, its understandable why females are prioritized the most. But soon we would get awesome guy characters like Shining Armor, Sunburst, Cheese Sandwich, Sandbar, Gallus and even Spike would be as his top potential.
I’m amazed that the movie was the one that convinced you since some are still divided on that particular artstyle for the ponies.
I would love to see you counterpoint these guys I’ve talked to. Be mind that they are very crass.
@Myoozik
I know but these guys were already bitching about Seasons 6 and 7 to begin with. One of them using derogatory words for homosexuals to describe the reformed Changelings.
Mr.Myoozik

Music Connoisseur
@Red-Supernova
Their fault for sticking around to begin with if they weren’t liking the direction the show was going. If I was them, I would’ve just dropped it completely instead of still watching it to continue complaining
Starponys87
Artist -

Friends with Autism
@Red-Supernova
If it’s proper for girls to be kind and sensitive, then the same applies to boys. But people who abuse the word “gay” to mean “effeminate” are macho types who don’t really value friendship.
In the case of the reformed changelings, they seem to suffer from PTSD. They’re looking for the childhood innocence that they’d never gotten to enjoy. All of them are victims of war, as it turns out.
Thorax is like a male version of Fluttershy. He often seems like a pushover, but he stands up to protect his friends. And if you repeatedly insult him, you never know if he might lose his temper.
What won my affection for Rainbow Dash was her kindness to Quibble Pants, a weak earth pony. She didn’t look down on this stallion for seeming handicapped compared with other earth ponies. (Scootaloo is considered handicapped only because pegasi are expected to fly.)
I think the edginess of G4 – especially early on – attracted a lot of the wrong fans. Maybe this caused some members of the creative staff to think more carefully about what they were doing. I suppose I’m one of few bronies won over by the movie and developments in Season 8 – because most people who first rejected the show for the reasons I did probably never gave it a second chance.
So, yes, what makes me different as a brony comes down to different values. I guess it makes sense that I’m now highly invested in G5. (So far, G5 doesn’t have much of any shock value for its own sake. I think it ought to be able to carry its weight simply from solid characters and story development.)
Interested in advertising on Derpibooru? Click here for information!
Pony Arts & Prints!

Help fund the $15 daily operational cost of Derpibooru - support us financially!

Syntax quick reference: **bold** *italic* ||hide text|| `code` __underline__ ~~strike~~ ^sup^ %sub%

Detailed syntax guide