Pony Venting Thread

Roseluck
Roseluck - For supporting the site

Some people do need to learn to let go and walk away (or, let’s call a spade a spade here, need to grow the fuck up), but there’s a difference between disliking someone or something and just not shutting up about it. And between “I’m sick of the second type” and “no one is allowed to dislike a character I like” for that matter…
And since the finale, well, Discord certainly seems to mostly attract the latter of both groups from what I’ve seen. I don’t even hate him but I still blocked his tag because I’m sick of the kindergarten battle that crops up and monopolizes the comments 95% of the time. I’d planned a few jokes involving him but now I won’t even bother uploading the fanarts because it’s not worth the drama.
Roseluck

@Background Pony #5A0F
Thanks for the info. The thing with ‘blocking’ drama is that you don’t notice when it stops or slows down.
@Background Pony #EDB8
I think it’s a case of vocal minority versus silent majority. Since most of any discussion about him is the same “Discord did nothing/everything wrong” deal, with other subjects rarely showing up, it feels like it’s all there is to see.
@Mr.Myoozik
Yeah, they’re so few and always-the-same that it feels like an argument in favor of being able to block users sometimes. Would only affect comments on uploads and not forums, but that’d already be a lot of ‘nothing of value was lost.’ Because even when good points are brought up, the ‘discussions’ become circular with the same arguments used now (often very repeatedly) that were used back then.
Speaking of which and (hopefully) relevant to the thread, there is one thing I’ve not seen brought up about Discord around here. Then again, I’ve not exactly checked.
Ignoring his evil and/or not-evil, most of all, he feels like a… sorta self-insert to me? Probably not the right term, but feels like the writers using him when they want to indulge themselves with references or the like that wouldn’t work with anyone else since they don’t break the fourth well at all/as much (since Pinkie isn’t really on the same level of ‘meta’).
Kinda like how I feel the real root of The Mysterious Mare Do Well’s issues was that they wanted to write a Darkwing Duck episode rather than a Friendship is Magic one, and the ponies would oblige like it or not. Hence the ‘interesting’ characterization of both sides of the blaming game, they were just a mean to the writers’ end.
To be fair, I’m probably influenced by, well, let’s say I don’t think it’s a coincidence that Discord got to be the not-boyfriend-honest of little miss Waifu #1, Fluttershy. Not a coincidence either that she’s always depicted as right… And yeah, him appearing in G5’s comics also didn’t help. (I’d predicted he’d be involved in G5 back when all we had was a bedsheet too haha)
A pretty damn subjective way to look at it, yeah. But hopefully it’s a way that’s not been beaten into the ground like a dead horse?
CORDZ2000
Solar Hero - Went above and beyond for the Solar Deity, drawing from the power of the sun itself to bring balance to the fight against the Lunar Insurrection (April Fools 2023).

Draconequues Lover zcord
@Background Pony #EDB8
Since most of any discussion about him is the same “Discord did nothing/everything wrong” deal, with other subjects rarely showing up, it feels like it’s all there is to see.
How about my look of discord did plenty wrong but if u underestand that wrong comes from being misguided and due to his nature of a spirit of chaos and disharmony. You wouldn’t judge him so harshly and understand he is a good character and a caring friend at heart.
WaynePonePone
Fluttershy - For supporting the site
Happy Derpy! - For site supporters
Gold Supporter - Gold Supporter
Solar Guardian - Refused to surrender in the face of the Lunar rebellion and showed utmost loyalty to the Solar Empire (April Fools 2023).
Roseluck - Had their OC in the 2023 Derpibooru Collab.
Elements of Harmony - Had an OC in the 2022 Community Collab

Flutters Hitchy Glimglam
Kinda of funny to read through all these remembering I’m the one asshat that never shut up about it until recently. I gotta wonder if people other than me do that since I stopped now and also blocked the tag. Is it relieving to not see me around to talk shit about Discord? And are there other people out there who would do the same besides me? And regret doesn’t really work when it happened anyway.
Honestly maybe I have been harsh on him. Perhaps I should cut him some breaks. There is a full analysis of why Starlight’s redemption arc didn’t work right here in this thread after all. None for Discord, and no one seems to have an objection for it. Perhaps I was wrong this whole time and I really don’t “understand” him. Well, live and learn.
DerpyFast
Solar Supporter - Fought against the New Lunar Republic rebellion on the side of the Solar Deity (April Fools 2023).
Non-Fungible Trixie -
My Little Pony - 1992 Edition
Wallet After Summer Sale -
Friendship, Art, and Magic (2018) - Celebrated Derpibooru's six year anniversary with friends.

@Just Wayne
The problem is characterization.
If he was characterized as this trickster god who just likes messing with people, and he completely owned it, then he’d be this loveable asshole.
If he was characterized as this unfathomably powerful being trying to learn empathy, that would be compelling.
Instead, we get the worst of both worlds, where Discord gets to be an inconsiderate asshole who conveniently can’t be held accountable for his own actions. With the harm he’s done far outweighing the good.
And this is coming from someone who likes Discord.
CORDZ2000
Solar Hero - Went above and beyond for the Solar Deity, drawing from the power of the sun itself to bring balance to the fight against the Lunar Insurrection (April Fools 2023).

Draconequues Lover zcord
@Just Wayne
The problem is characterization.
If he was characterized as this trickster god who just likes messing with people, and he completely owned it, then he’d be this loveable asshole.
If he was characterized as this unfathomably powerful being trying to learn empathy, that would be compelling.
He’s actually both these things. He’s a trickster who helps in his own way both because of genuine care and because he still likes being a troll. He’s trying to learn empathy which is why in every episode, when he realizes what he did wrong, he learns a new lesson and genuinely apologizes. He’s not more beloved mostly because his character is misunderstood.
Starponys87
Lunar Supporter - Helped forge New Lunar Republic's freedom in the face of the Solar Empire's oppressive tyrannical regime (April Fools 2023).
Princess of Love - Extra special version for those who participated in the Canterlot Wedding 10th anniversary event by contributing art.
Twinkling Balloon - Took part in the 2021 community collab.
Artist -

Friends with Autism
@CORDZ2000
He’s sometimes been a bully, but he could do far worse if he wanted to. Most ponies probably wouldn’t be as well-restrained with that kind of power. So I have to give the Discord his due.
WaynePonePone
Happy Derpy! - For site supporters
Gold Supporter - Gold Supporter
Solar Guardian - Refused to surrender in the face of the Lunar rebellion and showed utmost loyalty to the Solar Empire (April Fools 2023).
Roseluck - Had their OC in the 2023 Derpibooru Collab.

Flutters Hitchy Glimglam
@Starponys87
I really hate this “Power makes right” thing going on with Discord. Just because he has tremendous power he is allowed to do the “lesser evil” and suffers no consequences despite the effect his actions have on everyone and everything around him. That’s just so annoying, but I know what I say doesn’t matter and I’m already overstaying my welcome.
Roseluck

Well, so much for treading new ground about Discord…
@CORDZ2000
Yes, I was thinking of you when I typed “no one is allowed to dislike a character I like.” You’re extremely intolerant of opinions you disagree with. People can’t mention they dislike Discord without you showing up and ordering them what they should think about him.
I wasn’t even judging him too, my biggest issue with him is definitely on our side of the fourth wall.
CORDZ2000

Draconequues Lover zcord
@Roseluck
I don’t order anything i only reply with facts and evidence. Anyone can dislike him all they want but claims like being the worst character and such are simply objectively not true if u understand his character and what he represents.
I also only use to do that now i mostly don’t care and just understand certain subsets just have a hate boner
CORDZ2000

Draconequues Lover zcord
Also im very strongly about opinions i have because I don’t just say things. I spend time thinking about what I think to I know it is true.
“I think discord is a bad character because hes a jerk and causes too many problems” will forever to be incredibly nonsensical, hes a spirit of chaos and disharmony.
Interested in advertising on Derpibooru? Click here for information!
Ponies Online! - April 13-14

Help fund the $15 daily operational cost of Derpibooru - support us financially!

Syntax quick reference: **bold** *italic* ||hide text|| `code` __underline__ ~~strike~~ ^sup^ %sub%

Detailed syntax guide