Ron The Death Eater Discord S9 Finale

CORDZ2000
Solar Hero - Went above and beyond for the Solar Deity, drawing from the power of the sun itself to bring balance to the fight against the Lunar Insurrection (April Fools 2023).

Draconequues Lover zcord
I feel like Discord is given this Trope for being grogar in which a character can be treated in a work as either more mean or evil than they actually are.

In canon while Discord took some unscrupulousness means, he ultimately did what he did for the sake of preparing the mane 6 mainly twilight to be rulers of equestria. I don’t feel like he meant to put EQ in true real danger/ if he did he stated himself he saw himself as a safety net so that obviously comes from arrogance instead of malicious intent.

Once he came to realize how badly he messed up he vowed to make up for it and put his life in danger by deflecting a beam knowing Tirek could destroy him with it, in-order for the ponies to escape and save equestria. After that despite his fear he can be seen helping hold off the trio. Now don’t get me wrong Discord is far from a saint but I feel like these aspects are very overlooked or completely discarded by others.  
Thoughts?
Mediocre-Grimm

@CORDZ2000

He was willing to get people killed to stroke Twilight’s ego. The Legion of Doom wasn’t innocent, but he was still fine with going ahead with his plan to sacrifice them even after Sombra was killed. And then he had the nerve to be the one to punish them after dragging them into everything. If anything, the finale showed he hasn’t learned a damn thing despite being friends with the Element of Kindness all these years.

He’s still the same manipulative, self-absorbed bully he always was, it’s just now he’s using people as puppets to put on shows for his friends instead of his own amusement.
TOMNICE
Magnificent Metadata Maniac - #1 Assistant
Magical Inkwell - Wrote MLP fanfiction consisting of at least around 1.5k words, and has a verified link to the platform of their choice
Artist -

Hungarian G1 pony fan
Lol, i saw your edit on Tvtropes. Someone else deleted it leaving this reason:  
Misuse. Ron The Death Eater is supposed to be for when people demonize a character by exaggerating or cherry-picking supposedly-questionable actions, sometimes just making stuff up if the character didn’t do anything “bad” to begin with. It isn’t supposed to be used to talk about people disliking a character for doing supposedly questionable actions.
CORDZ2000
Solar Hero - Went above and beyond for the Solar Deity, drawing from the power of the sun itself to bring balance to the fight against the Lunar Insurrection (April Fools 2023).

Draconequues Lover zcord
@Mediocre-Grimm  
Ill say it again. Your downplaying the significance of the goal by just calling it a random ego boost. The levels that discord went to teach twilight this time are proportionate to the significance of the goal. He was trying to give twilight and on some level the rest of the mane 6, the confidence needed to rule an entire country Equestria and to make sure she was truly ready in his own chaotic way. Once he came to realize his mistake he swears to make up for it and puts his life in danger to free starlight so the ponies can escape and save equestria and can be seen helping to hold off the villains after he says “save equestria and keep fluttershy safe”. That being said im not saying that he is perfect he could have went about it a much better way, but implying that using objectively evil unremorseful attempted tyrants to make someone prepared to rule a country whether right or wrong morally, means that he hasn’t learned anything and/or learned anything misses the naunce of the situation and him as character in my honest opinion.

If he was this monster as u seem to believe he would have forcibly mind controlled starlight and tempest for his plan but he didn’t, he used characters who from what he saw as not wanting to change. He turned them to stone after chrysalis reinforced that they will never change, while always return and only after celestia and Luna already gave the decision to punish them. There is a logical fallacy and black and white mindset to looking at him as the same as beginning of the series as discord would never care about anyone, never go so far to help anyone or put himself in harms way for others to be safe. He is seen calmly chilling at the coronation happy to see twilight succeeding instead of causing chaos like he would be in his first appearance and etc etc reasons I can say this isn’t true.

@TOMNICE  
The ron the death eater was already added i just added more too it and at the time of writing, the site had the trope meaning making a character out to be either meaner or more villainous than they are instead of making up bad deeds completely. And to bring tropes into this, I got one to put discord in a category eos https://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/UnscrupulousHero

But anyways i honestly don’t really care about this topic anymore. I’ve been back and force on this site about this many times before what happened happened. Pretty much nothing will ever make me hate discord for this and see many fans as being not too hard of him because of the way I feel and see this whole thing. That being, I try my hardest to see others sides too so I hope u can do the same. Thanks for responding even if its much later goodbye.
Kiryu-Chan
Solar Supporter - Fought against the New Lunar Republic rebellion on the side of the Solar Deity (April Fools 2023).
Non-Fungible Trixie -
My Little Pony - 1992 Edition
Wallet After Summer Sale -

World's Okayest User
No he kind of really deserves it.

Even before S9 he was already getting really grating as the show was going, almost all of his episodes has just been him torturing others and either getting away with it or outright rewarded for it. Discordant Harmony was the first and unfortunately only time where I actually though Discord and his episodes could change for the better but then A Matter of Principals came out and pretty much doubled down on all of his worst aspects and was rewarded for it yet again, with Starlight apologizing to him despite torturing both her and the students relentlessly because he was butthurt Twilight put Starlight in charge instead of him. The final season however was pretty much the accumulation of all of this for the sake of the most hackneyed garbage this show was ever capable of
Background Pony #DCB4
Gee, so many people seeing Discord as “Karma Houdini”, more than S5 Starlight than ever, ever since the finale…
CORDZ2000

Draconequues Lover zcord
@Kiryu-Chan  
discord actually gets punished for things 9/10 turned to stone, getting sick, getting betrayed by tirek, dragged around on a chain in the finale etc. He doesn’t really get rewarded, he isn’t personally taught in friendship. He is forced to learn a lesson with each mistake he makes and comes back slightly more nicer with each appearance besides matter of principles because everyone in s8 had bad episodes. Discordant Harmony also gives him a good reason to be the way he is as if he were to completely change he would disappear as he is a spirit of chaos and disharmony. I don’t know about him constantly toturing others, if u mean his trolling that he does to teach twilight to help her grow as a person than that’s different thats his own chaotic way of helping.

What i can agree tho is that he should have had more pet the dog moments so people can deal with what he does under the idea of him being a work in progress that he is presented as. He does genuinely improve in ways but because he doesn’t have more of those pet the dog moments it can be hard for others to forgive his actions under that notion that he is still learning.
CORDZ2000

Draconequues Lover zcord
@Background Pony #DCB4  
s5 starlight was immediately forgiven and accepted while messing up the universe while having cruel intentions of revenge, while everyone was on discords case while he messed up while having good intentions and had to put himself in harms way to help make things right to be forgiven. Although to be fair while people forget now because she is so popular, starlight probably suffered every more backlash and was even more controversial than discord is now back in the day to the point that idw stopped showing her for a while.
TOMNICE
Magical Inkwell - Wrote MLP fanfiction consisting of at least around 1.5k words, and has a verified link to the platform of their choice
Artist -

Hungarian G1 pony fan
@CORDZ2000  
Starlight Glimmer was too easily forgiven, true. Discord was punished before and it took some time for them the free him and give him a second chance.

But despite that, the main difference between them is Starlight Glimmer is actually shown to be changing and actually acknowledges her mistakes. Meanwhile they keep saying “Discord changed” but he keeps doing the same bullshit over and over again trying to justify his poor actions. He is sorry not because he knows what he did was wrong, but because he got caught. The only reason why she is with Fluttershy is because she is a battered housewife who keeps believing in her drunk and abusive husband’s excuses. And the “he is supposed to be the lord of chaos” does not help either, that just proves further he is too untrustworthy and makes the princesses even dumber for letting him free.
CORDZ2000

Draconequues Lover zcord
@TOMNICE  
Discord swearing to make up for his actions and putting himself in harms way to help make things right.. how is that not accomplishing his mistakes? And yes being the lord of chaos does help because it gives a reasoning to why he is the way he is. You expect a spirit of chaos not to be chaotic and cause disharmony it isn’t proof that he can’t be free, it just means he has to discover a effective way of being him. He was doing pretty good with it in the s9 premiere without the context of him being behind it, which is why they say ‘thats discord for ya’ ‘he sure has a weird way of being supportive’, its like making a carnivore stop eating meat completely. Starlight and Discord are different characters, starlight is a normal unicorn. Discord is a literal embodiment of chaos hes not gonna be exactly like starlight or sunset because his character works differently.
CORDZ2000

Draconequues Lover zcord
@TOMNICE  
Fluttershy is with him because she realizes that for all his faults he is trying to be better for her despite his very nature. He would put his life in danger to save her and was willing to completely change himself and got punished for it with almost disappearing.
TOMNICE
Artist -

Hungarian G1 pony fan
@CORDZ2000  
If he really learned then he would not do all of this in the first place! You make mistakes to learn from them, not repeating them!

But ok, at the very least just strip him off from his powers with the bell and never give it back, he will learn nothing without consequences at this point. And if they were still able to give more chances to that asshole then i do not get why they could not just do the same with the trio.

And do not answer to me with “but they are irredeemable” because there is no way knowing that. Even after they “refused” in Frenemies they still showed potential in the following episodes. And bickering with each other in Ending Of The End still disproves nothing because Applejack and Rarity were almost always fighting but they still kept being friends.
CORDZ2000

Draconequues Lover zcord
@TOMNICE  
the thing is tho, is that discord does learn he learned to ask to be involved, he learned to value love and was excited to hear big mac was getting married and tried to get them together. He has more subtle character development to like complaining about not walking for a millennium and then just causally walking around ponyvillie later, arguing with trixie then trying to make amends etc.

While he is a pain in the flank, the mane 6 acknowledge that he’s trying and that on some level hes just inherently different ofc they obviously won’t forgive everything easily because hes different, im not saying it is a complete excuse and that he isn’t accountable but it does give him some reasonable reasoning. The trio u can argue that yeah its not fair although to be fair discord never tried to kill the mane 6 I’m sure if he did he would be treated similarity friend or not.
Mediocre-Grimm

@CORDZ2000

It really wasn’t fair what happened to the Trio.

My big problem with Discord and the Legion of Doom is that he never seemed to think of them as people. They were objects; obstacles he could set up for the mane six to knock down. The defining moment for me, though, was the way he gleefully punished them. He felt no pity, no mercy, despite having been shown these time and time again. It seemed more like what he wanted was revenge for being made a fool of instead of justice.
CORDZ2000

Draconequues Lover zcord
@Mediocre-Grimm  
Everyone would be happy to see them punished and have the knowledge that they wouldn’t have to deal with them, who wouldn’t against those who tried to kill and conquer them realistically. Non of the characters watched freniemies, Hitler maybe loved his mother but we don’t see that.

Antiheroes often don’t care about the well being of evildoers if its for what they deem the greater good. Even some of the most pure hearted heroes would likely be fine with the trio being locked away, look at superman he punches bad guys all the time and puts them in prison.

I feel like he did it out of a sense of antihero justice like he said together forever I can’t think of anything they would want less because beings who hated friendship and divided EQ would hate nothing more than being forced to be together. “Not haha suck it that’s what u get for thinking u can get over me”. He never went after chrysalis for revenge or pulled up to tartarus to tirek. If they decided to let them go if not for others agreeing to let him punish them and deciding to already do it themselves, discord would have likely just went about his business.
Mediocre-Grimm

@CORDZ2000

I find it hard to believe that given the size of his ego he wouldn’t have felt vindictive. Starlight is supposed to be his friend, and he threw a tantrum and almost got her fired because Twilight picked her to run the school instead of him.

Him showing mercy to them would’ve been a perfect way to show that he’s truly changed and taking responsibility for a problem he created. And he wouldn’t know what they would and wouldn’t want, because he barely paid any attention to them. If he had, maybe he would’ve known they were becoming friends.
Interested in advertising on Derpibooru? Click here for information!
Sky Railroad Merch Shop!

Help fund the $15 daily operational cost of Derpibooru - support us financially!

Syntax quick reference: **bold** *italic* ||hide text|| `code` __underline__ ~~strike~~ ^sup^ %sub%

Detailed syntax guide