[NO SPOILER, LEAK-FREE] Season 8 Discussion and Speculation: Discovery Family airings

iexist1
Lunar Supporter - Helped forge New Lunar Republic's freedom in the face of the Solar Empire's oppressive tyrannical regime (April Fools 2023).

Waluigi
  1. The Parent Map  
  2. Grannies Gone Wild  
  3. surf and/or turf  
  4. Fake it Till You Make it  
  5. The Maud couple  
  6. Horse play  
  7. School Daze  
  8. Non-compete Clause

I really didn’t care for this episode. If you all like it, that’s fine.
Applepie1973

Nostalgia Purist
  1. Surf and/or turf  
  2. School Daze  
  3. Horse play  
  4. Grannies Gone Wild  
  5. The Maud Couple  
  6. Fake it Till You Make it  
  7. The Parent Map  
  8. Non-compete Clause
DarkObsidian
Non-Fungible Trixie -
Twinkling Balloon - Took part in the 2021 community collab.
Ten years of changes - Celebrated the 10th anniversary of MLP:FiM!
My Little Pony - 1992 Edition
Economist -

Smiling Panzerfuchs 2.0
Interessiert keinen, aber:

1. Horse Play  
  2. School Daze Part I.  
  3. Surf and/or Turf  
  4. The Parent Map  
  5. School Daze Part II.  
  6. Grannies Gone Wild  
  7. Fake it Till You Make it  
  8. Non-Compete Clause  
  9. The Maud Couple (because of OOC Pinkie Pie)

I like world building and the little pieces of MLP lore, I don’t like Over the Top OOC behaviour, cause they are usually an indication for “bad” writing style. Not everytime the joke justifies the means. :-/
Nightweaver20xx
Wallet After Summer Sale -
Birthday Cake - Celebrated MLP's 7th birthday
Happy Derpy! -
Platinum bit -
Emerald -
Artist -

Evil
So I may as well finally get my 2 bits in on this episode. It was, as others have said, pretty standard MLP fare, which is actually to say it’s still far better than 90% of the kids’ schlock out there. It was a Point A to Point B episode with an obvious moral, and interactions between AJ and RD that we’ve seen a dozen times before. But adding in the Student Six freshened the formula a bit, and allowed them to play off the old warhorses’ quirks and eccentricities.

I did find myself asking myself a few times throughout the ep, “These are two of the beings that saved the world on four non-consecutive occasions?” I mean, at this point, they’ve both learned so many lessons on how to get along together that seeing they can’t overcome that in favor of yet more competitive BS is frustrating. And of course Twilight is either trolling them or us or just plain stupid for assuming they’d work together flawlessly from the get-go.

I don’t know, it just felt like one of those eps where the characters were told, “OK, you do your schtick, you do yours, and we wrap it up with an obvious moral at the end and we can all go home early for dinner.” Nothing surprising or groundbreaking compared to some of the other stories we’ve seen from the writing staff, but still a fun enough watch.
DarkObsidian
Non-Fungible Trixie -
Economist -

Smiling Panzerfuchs 2.0
@ILoveMyoozik

Actually “The Maud Couple” is in the Top 3 at least. Pinkie Pies OOC was bad in such a way… Uh. The worst scene was “I guess you don’t need a best sister friend forever anymore.” Cringe. Why? The problem I have with this episode, that Pinkie Pies OOC behaviour was unnecessary rude, unreasonable and not even understandable considering her Pinkamena side. Her sister is in love and HAPPY! Pinkie Pie is literally one if not even THE most friendly pony in Equestria. And she’s not able to share this feeling with her own sister, just because she is jealous? … I have no further questions.

Another episode with “bad” OOC writing was Secrets and Pies. Again Pinkie Pie? Well, yes and no. I don’t like the “I don’t want to hear it!” part, but it was funny to see Pinkie going more and more suspicious. But seriously? The bad OOC was Rainbow Dash lying. To everyone. For so long! Because of… reasons, I guess? Okay, I could have accepted, that she don’t like sweets because she’s a sportsperson. But we have seen her biting into the “MMMM” in MMMystery On The Friendship Express. Actually she had one of the best desire-faces next to AJ. So, OOC just to justify the plot. Uch!

Last but not least: Bats! This time: Twilights abuse her magic to change the custom feeding of animals? Ukay! Well, meanwhile I understand that unicorns have the nasty habit to solve nearly every minor problem with magic. But Twilight as princess should known better. That was OOC just to trigger the event of Flutterbat. Yay!

Don’t get me wrong, I like OOC reactions if they are part of a good joke or slapstick or even just to lift up the mood. But I don’t get along with OOC just as plot device. I’m always a little bit disappointed then the writers didn’t come up with a more reasonable solution. Okay, that’s easy to say, so I actually don’t blame anyone. One cannot have everything. :-D
DarkObsidian
Non-Fungible Trixie -
Economist -

Smiling Panzerfuchs 2.0
@rdibp

For me Out of Character. Maybe I don’t use it the same way, cause I’m German. It wouldn’t be the first time for me that a “eingedeutschter” term changes its original meaning in some way. So if I get something wrong without recognize it, I’m sorry. Please enlighten me. ;-)
rdibp
Friendship, Art, and Magic (2018) - Celebrated Derpibooru's six year anniversary with friends.
Not a Llama - Happy April Fools Day!
Friendship, Art, and Magic (2017) - Celebrated Derpibooru's five year anniversary with friends.

Kerfuffle lover
@DarkObsidian  
Out of character is when someone is written in a way that abandons what they are all about and to only service the plot. Pinkie in Filli Vanilli was out of character for not caring a bit for how Fluttershy felt. Applejack in Somepony to Watch Over Me was out of character for up and abandoning her duties to babysit Apple Bloom. RD, Rarity and AJ were out of character in The Cart Before the Ponies for taking over the CMC’s tasks for their own selfish needs.

Pinkie being saddened over discovering that her sister doesn’t like parties wasn’t necessarily out of character. You just seem to throw that term around whenever a character does something that you don’t agree with.
Holofan4life
Pixel Perfection - Hot Pockets Spotted
Lunar Supporter - Helped forge New Lunar Republic's freedom in the face of the Solar Empire's oppressive tyrannical regime (April Fools 2023).
Non-Fungible Trixie -
Artist -
Verified Pegasus - Show us your gorgeous wings!
Preenhub - We all know what you were up to this evening~
Wallet After Summer Sale -
A Perfectly Normal Pony - The best thing about being an anime mod is you get to eat babies for free
A Tale For The Ages - Celebrated MLP's 35th Anniversary and FiM's 8th Anniversary

I II II L
@rdibp  
Even though it isn’t said, I think Applejack in Somepony to Watch Over Me wasn’t out of character because she loves Applebloom and wanted to be there for her since her parents are no longer there.
DarkObsidian
Non-Fungible Trixie -
Economist -

Smiling Panzerfuchs 2.0
You just seem to throw that term around whenever a character does something that you don’t agree with.

That’s not true. There are far more moments I don’t agree with a character. Most of AJs and RDs rivalry for example. But that is part of their win through-driven characters. I don’t like it, but that is okay. OOC is for me the moment when the show exaggerates the behaviour just to justfy some joke, a scene or the plot. And in a bad way, because their are quite the enjoyable OOC moments.

I think because my opinion distinguishs from yours let you think I don’t have an idea. For me AJ in Somepony to Watch Over Me was more reasonable than Pinkie Pie in The Maud Couple. Considering the fact that there is the possibility that the Apples lost their parents. I agree with you in Pinkie in Filli Vanilli and the reactions in The Cart Before the Ponies. I didn’t remembered these episodes, but don’t deny that you’re right. But do me a favour and don’t jump to conclusions about me. ;-)
rdibp
Friendship, Art, and Magic (2018) - Celebrated Derpibooru's six year anniversary with friends.
Not a Llama - Happy April Fools Day!
Friendship, Art, and Magic (2017) - Celebrated Derpibooru's five year anniversary with friends.

Kerfuffle lover
OOC is for me the moment when the show exaggerates the behaviour just to justfy some joke, a scene or the plot.

That sounds more like flanderization than OOC tbh

I heavily disagree with you on Secrets and Pies, because that’s a fantastic episode, but I can still understand your points on The Maud Couple and Bats!, even if I don’t really agree with them. c:
DarkObsidian
Non-Fungible Trixie -
Economist -

Smiling Panzerfuchs 2.0
@rdibp

Fair enough. Let’s agree, we don’t agree. Usually I don’t think to much about such topics and just enjoy each and every episode for it’s one. And just because I don’t like a scene or the behaviour of a character doesn’t mean that I don’t value the experience to watch the show at all. I admit my words may not be chosen very wisely. If I have offended you in any way, I beg your pardon. :-)
Mildgyth
Best Pink Pony - For being the first person to reach 50k uploads, managing the site's featured images, and countless other contributions to the site.
Pixel Perfection - I still call her Lightning Bolt
Silly Pony - Celebrated the 13th anniversary of MLP:FIM, and 40 years of MLP!
Shimmering Smile - Celebrated the 10th anniversary of Equestria Girls!
Lunar Guardian - Earned a place among the ranks of the most loyal New Lunar Republic soldiers (April Fools 2023).
Roseluck - Had their OC in the 2023 Derpibooru Collab.
King Sombra - Celebrated the 10th anniversary of The Crystal Empire!
A Lovely Nightmare Night - Celebrated the 12th anniversary of MLP:FIM!
Princess of Love - Extra special version for those who participated in the Canterlot Wedding 10th anniversary event by contributing art.
Elements of Harmony - Had an OC in the 2022 Community Collab

Senior Moderator
Humata, Hukhta, Hvarshta
School Daze:8.9  
The Maud Couple:9.5  
Fake It ’Til You Make It: 9.0  
Grannies Gone Wild:8.9  
Surf and/or Turf:8.0  
Horse Play:9.4  
The Parent Map:9.4  
Non-Compete Clause:9.1

>>1731166t (merged)  

>>1730925t (merged)  

I don’t get why people are saying this episode is bad; the one thing i can see people might be bothered with was RD and AJ learning lessons they already learned way back before.
LeoNero
Lunar Guardian - Earned a place among the ranks of the most loyal New Lunar Republic soldiers (April Fools 2023).
Crystal Roseluck - Had their OC in the 2023 Derpibooru Collab.
Elements of Harmony - Had an OC in the 2022 Community Collab
Non-Fungible Trixie -
Preenhub - We all know what you were up to this evening~
Friendship, Art, and Magic (2020) - Took part in the 2020 Community Collab
Friendship, Art, and Magic (2019) - Celebrated Derpibooru's seventh year anniversary with friends
A Tale For The Ages - Celebrated MLP's 35th Anniversary and FiM's 8th Anniversary

Shine On U Crazy Diamond
@Mildgyth  
Some people i guess don’t like characters having to repeat the same lessons over again, one of the reasons episodes like 28 pranks later is such a hated episode.

Though i do get the competitive nature of the two.
kleptomage
Pixel Perfection - I still call her Lightning Bolt
Magnificent Metadata Maniac - #1 Assistant
Perfect Pony Plot Provider - 10+ uploads with over 350 upvotes or more (Questionable/Explicit)
The End wasn't The End - Found a new home after the great exodus of 2012
Fine Arts - Two hundred uploads with a score of over a hundred (Safe/Suggestive)

I didn’t enjoy this week’s episode. Like Twilight said, AJ and Rainbow should be over letting their rivalry ruin an outing by now. Their back and forth in the latter half was so bad it was difficult to watch.

The Student Six were all right. They needed another episode after the premiere.

@Mildgyth  
I’ve noticed you always go into decimals when rating the episodes. If you don’t want to give any episode less than an 8 out of 10, maybe you should use a different scale.
Interested in advertising on Derpibooru? Click here for information!
Sky Railroad Merch Shop!

Help fund the $15 daily operational cost of Derpibooru - support us financially!

Syntax quick reference: **bold** *italic* ||hide text|| `code` __underline__ ~~strike~~ ^sup^ %sub%

Detailed syntax guide