Viewing last 25 versions of post by AWGear in topic Season 9 Discussion Thread [NO SPOILERS, DF airings only]

AWGear
Solar Supporter - Fought against the New Lunar Republic rebellion on the side of the Solar Deity (April Fools 2023).
Roseluck - Had their OC in the 2023 Derpibooru Collab.
A Lovely Nightmare Night - Celebrated the 12th anniversary of MLP:FIM!
Elements of Harmony - Had an OC in the 2022 Community Collab
Non-Fungible Trixie -
Twinkling Balloon - Took part in the 2021 community collab.
Ten years of changes - Celebrated the 10th anniversary of MLP:FiM!
An Artist Who Rocks - 100+ images under their artist tag
The Magic of Friendship Grows - For helping others attend the 2020 Community Collab
Friendship, Art, and Magic (2020) - Took part in the 2020 Community Collab

The Devil's Advocate
Welp, it's time for an Episode review I suppose.

To be brutally honest, It was a decent episode to watch. It got really cringy by the end (Gar Gar's singing is attrocious) but for the most part it was pretty stellar. That said, I woulnd't be me if I didn't have few issues with the episode. So let's go over them.

1) **This episode proves that people working on current MLP haven't rewatched previous seasons before writting this one.** Fluttershy is as inconsistent as she ever was with her "fear of dragons", which leads me to belive that they retconed it completly. She:

- had no problems with spike in "Friendship is Magic",

- was a bitch to a giant one in "Dragonshy",

- was terryfied of them in "Dragon Quest" (even smaller ones),

- was absent in "Gauntlet of Fire" and "Tripple Threat",

Adding to this that in "Sweet and Smoky" she has no troubles with going to the land of dragons, which makes no sense in the long run. Last time she ever interacted with dragons, she was terrfied of them. There was no time for her to "face her fears", which leads me to belive that DHX lacks any "quality control" in the studio. A simple line "I was afraid of them, but with Smolder and Ember I found that they are not that bad" would be enough to solve this continuity Error.

2) **Retconing and miss-characterization of Garble.** We have had Garble appear twice before on the show. In no previous appearance it was even mentoined that he was nothing more than a bully. There were no hints onto any "diffrent side" of him. This, again, proves that this epiosde was written by someone who has no grasp on the character in question. It's actually the second time we have a "bad retcon" inserted into the show. We had exactly the same thing happen to Diamond Tiara in "Crusaders of the Lost Mark". Putting aside the quality of that episode, it too had a complete re-work of Diamond's character. She went from being a sociopathic bully to a "misunderstood" character with problems in the family. This change not only complicated her character, but also had her motive behind the shown behviour make you question some of her actions. Garble gets the same treatment in this episode. Even tough the synopsis calls him "sensitive", none of his previous appearances are proving it. This episode makes him also into an artist, which wouldn't be bad, if it wouldn't be a bit contradictory to what have we been shown before. Making up the lyrics on the go takes alot of skill and inteligence, and Grable was never characterized as someone with big language skills, nor inteligence. It would be better if they would actually take a dragon from his pack of friends, and made them into Smolder's brother, as it's generally more common that someone sensitive and shy would join a bully in attacking someone, instead of being the "main bully" himself.

3) **Creators can't still write assertive Fluttershy correctly.** It's something I noticed ever since the first episode with Iron Will. It seems like since then, we ethier get a FlutterDoormat or FlutterBitch. On a rare ocasions, we can see a "trurly assertive" fluttershy for a second, before we are getting back to ethier option. Writters seem to still be oblivious to the fact that "Assertive =/= yelling asshole" which is the main way they tend to present Fluttershy. Assertive person is someone who knows when to say no and can stand thier ground. Assertive person is NOT an asshole who'd get right up in your face (getting phisical in the process) just to prove thier point. It really pains me to see how badly do the writters make Fluttershy look because of that, especially since when she is "actually assertive" she is much more of a great character. I was really hopeing that they'd fix her up for this episode, but they still seem to not be able to do her justice.

4) *~retc*Cons~tinuity Errors and Retcons RETCONS.** There are few more, non-personality related issues in this episode tough, and that's what kills it for me. First of all, We have never seen Dragons being able to change the color of thier flame. Especially since we have seen multiple dragons in the show already, and it was never stated that they can change the temperature of thier flame by changing it's color.

Second of all, we have seen Smolder, Spike and Ember laugh on multiple occasions, and it didn't resulted in a "random fire breath". It seems like every dragon except of them has that ability, but why?

Third of all, since Smolder is Garble's sister, why wasn't she with him during the "Gauntlet of Fire"? She surely would like to see her brother compeete, so why she wasn't present anywhere in that episode. Why wasn't she in "Dragon Quest" even tough she seems to like hanging out with him? This "creative decision" gave us more questions about the logical aspect of previous episodes.

In the end, I'm giving this episode 6/10. It was a decent episode, fully worthy of 7 or 8, if not for the cringeworthy singing.

Now, I can't wait till the next week's episode. I got spoiled slightly about it already, and that makes me hyped as hell to see it. ^^
No reason given
Edited by AWGear
AWGear
Solar Supporter - Fought against the New Lunar Republic rebellion on the side of the Solar Deity (April Fools 2023).
Non-Fungible Trixie -
The Magic of Friendship Grows - For helping others attend the 2020 Community Collab

The Devil's Advocate
To be brutally honest, It was a decent episode to watch. It got really cringy by the end (Gar Gar's singing is attrocious) but for the most part it was pretty stellar. That said, I woulnd't be me if I didn't have few issues with the episode. So let's go over them.

1) *This episode proves that people working on current MLP haven't rewatched previous seasons before writting this one.* Fluttershy is as inconsistent as she ever was with her "fear of dragons", which leads me to belive that they retconed it completly. She:
Adding to this that in "Sweet and Smoky" she has no troubles with going to the land of dragons, which makes no sense in the long run. Last time she ever interacted with dragons, she was terrfied of them. There was no time for her to "face her fears", which leads me to belive that DHX lacks any "quality control" in the studio. A simple line "I was afraid of them, but with Smolder and Ember I found that they are not that bad" would be enough to solve this continuity Error.

2) *Retconing and miss-characterization of Garble.* We have had Garble appear twice before on the show. In no previous appearance it was even mentoined that he was nothing more than a bully. There were no hints onto any "diffrent side" of him. This, again, proves that this epiosde was written by someone who has no grasp on the character in question. It's actually the second time we have a "bad retcon" inserted into the show. We had exactly the same thing happen to Diamond Tiara in "Crusaders of the Lost Mark". Putting aside the quality of that episode, it too had a complete re-work of Diamond's character. She went from being a sociopathic bully to a "misunderstood" character with problems in the family. This change not only complicated her character, but also had her motive behind the shown behviour make you question some of her actions. Garble gets the same treatment in this episode. Even tough the synopsis calls him "sensitive", none of his previous appearances are proving it. This episode makes him also into an artist, which wouldn't be bad, if it wouldn't be a bit contradictory to what have we been shown before. Making up the lyrics on the go takes alot of skill and inteligence, and Grable was never characterized as someone with big language skills, nor inteligence. It would be better if they would actually take a dragon from his pack of friends, and made them into Smolder's brother, as it's generally more common that someone sensitive and shy would join a bully in attacking someone, instead of being the "main bully" himself.

3) *Creators can't still write assertive Fluttershy correctly.* It's something I noticed ever since the first episode with Iron Will. It seems like since then, we ethier get a FlutterDoormat or FlutterBitch. On a rare ocasions, we can see a "trurly assertive" fluttershy for a second, before we are getting back to ethier option. Writters seem to still be oblivious to the fact that "Assertive =/= yelling asshole" which is the main way they tend to present Fluttershy. Assertive person is someone who knows when to say no and can stand thier ground. Assertive person is NOT an asshole who'd get right up in your face (getting phisical in the process) just to prove thier point. It really pains me to see how badly do the writters make Fluttershy look because of that, especially since when she is "actually assertive" she is much more of a great character. I was really hopeing that they'd fix her up for this episode, but they still seem to not be able to do her justice.

4) *~retcons~ retcons RETCONS.* There are few more, non-personality related issues in this episode tough, and that's what kills it for me. First of all, We have never seen Dragons being able to change the color of thier flame. Especially since we have seen multiple dragons in the show already, and it was never stated that they can change the temperature of thier flame by changing it's color.
Second of all, we have seen Smolder, Spike and Ember laugh on multiple occasions, and it didn't resulted in a "random fire breath". It seems like every dragon except of them has that ability, but why?
Third of all, since Smolder is Garble's sister, why wasn't she with him during the "Gauntlet of Fire"? She surely would like to see her brother compeete, so why she wasn't present anywhere in that episode. Why wasn't she in "Dragon Quest" even tough she seems to like hanging out with him? This "creative decision" gave us more questions about the logical aspect of previous episodes.

In the end, I'm giving this episode 6/10. It was a decent episode, fully worthy of 7 or 8, if not for the cringeworthy singing.

Now, I can't wait till the next week's episode. I got spoiled slightly about it already, and that makes me hyped as hell to see it. ^^
No reason given
Edited by AWGear
AWGear
Non-Fungible Trixie -

The Devil's Advocate

1) *This episode proves that people working on current MLP haven't rewatched previous seasons before writting this one.* Fluttershy is as inconsistent as she ever was with her "fear of dragons", which leads me to belive that they retconed it completly. She:

2) *Retconing and miss-characterization of Garble.* We have had Garble appear twice before on the show. In no previous appearance it was even mentoined that he was nothing more than a bully. There were no hints onto any "diffrent side" of him. This, again, proves that this epiosde was written by someone who has no grasp on the character in question. It's actually the second time we have a "bad retcon" inserted into the show. We had exactly the same thing happen to Diamond Tiara in "Crusaders of the Lost Mark". Putting aside the quality of that episode, it too had a complete re-work of Diamond's character. She went from being a sociopathic bully to a "misunderstood" character with problems in the family. This change not only complicated her character, but also had her motive behind the shown behviour make you question some of her actions. Garble gets the same treatment in this episode. Even tough the synopsis calls him "sensitive", none of his previous appearances are proving it. This episode makes him also into an artist, which wouldn't be bad, if it wouldn't be a bit contradictory to what have we been shown before. Making up the lyrics on the go takes alot of skill and inteligence, and Grable was never characterized as someone with big language skills, nor inteligence. It would be better if they would actually take a dragon from his pack of friends, and made them into Smolder's brother, as it's generally more common that someone sensitive and shy would join a bully in attacking someone, instead of being the "main bully" himself.

3) *Creators can't still write assertive Fluttershy correctly.* It's something I noticed ever since the first episode with Iron Will. It seems like since then, we ethier get a FlutterDoormat or FlutterBitch. On a rare ocasions, we can see a "trurly assertive" fluttershy for a second, before we are getting back to ethier option. Writters seem to still be oblivious to the fact that "Assertive =/= yelling asshole" which is the main way they tend to present Fluttershy. Assertive person is someone who knows when to say no and can stand thier ground. Assertive person is an asshole who'd get right up in your face (getting phisical in the process) just to prove thier point. It really pains me to see how badly do the writters make Fluttershy look because of that, especially since when she is "actually assertive" she is much more of a great character. I was really hopeing that they'd fix her up for this episode, but they still seem to not be able to do her justice.

4) *~retcons~ retcons RETCONS.* There are few more, non-personality related issues in this episode tough, and that's what kills it for me. First of all, We have never seen Dragons being able to change the color of thier flame. Especially since we have seen multiple dragons in the show already, and it was never stated that they can change the temperature of thier flame by changing it's color.

No reason given
Edited by AWGear