Season 9 Discussion Thread [NO SPOILERS, DF airings only]

Mildgyth
Best Pink Pony - For being the first person to reach 50k uploads, managing the site's featured images, and countless other contributions to the site.
Pixel Perfection - I still call her Lightning Bolt
Silly Pony - Celebrated the 13th anniversary of MLP:FIM, and 40 years of MLP!
Shimmering Smile - Celebrated the 10th anniversary of Equestria Girls!
Lunar Guardian - Earned a place among the ranks of the most loyal New Lunar Republic soldiers (April Fools 2023).
Roseluck - Had their OC in the 2023 Derpibooru Collab.
King Sombra - Celebrated the 10th anniversary of The Crystal Empire!
A Lovely Nightmare Night - Celebrated the 12th anniversary of MLP:FIM!
Princess of Love - Extra special version for those who participated in the Canterlot Wedding 10th anniversary event by contributing art.
Elements of Harmony - Had an OC in the 2022 Community Collab

Senior Moderator
Humata, Hukhta, Hvarshta
@Wiimeiser

There you go:

Season 1

Friendship Is Magic/Mare In The Moon:9.0  
The Ticket Master:9.2  
Applebuck Season:9.0  
Griffon the Brush-Off:9.0  
Boast Busters:8.3  
Dragonshy:8.6  
Look Before You Sleep:7.8  
Bridle Gossip:9.0  
Swarm of the Century:8.0  
Winter Wrap Up:8.7  
Call of the Cutie:9.4  
Fall Weather Friends:9.3  
Suited for Success:9.5  
Feeling Pinkie Keen:9.4  
Sonic Rainboom:9.6  
Stare Master:9.0  
The Show Stoppers:8.8  
A Dog and Pony Show:9.5  
Green Isn’t Your Color:9.3  
Over a Barrel:8.4  
A Bird in the Hoof:8.6  
The Cutie Mark Chronicles:9.0  
Owl’s Well That Ends Well:8.4  
Party of One:9.4  
The Best Night Ever:8.5

Season 2

The Return of Harmony:9.2  
Lesson Zero:9.3  
Luna Eclipsed:9.0  
Sisterhooves Social:9.1  
The Cutie Pox:9.0  
May The Best Pet Win:8.8  
The Mysterious Mare-Do-Well:8.1  
Sweet and Elite:8.8  
Secret of My Excess:8.2  
Hearth’s Warming Eve:9.0  
Family Appreciation Day:8.6  
Baby Cakes:8.6  
The Last Roundup:8.4  
The Super Speedy Cider Squeezy 6000:8.6  
Read It and Weep:8.7  
Hearts and Hooves Day:9.0  
A Friend in Deed:9.2  
Putting Your Hoof Down:6.0  
It’s About Time:9.5  
Dragon Quest:8.6  
Hurricane Fluttershy:9.2  
Ponyville Confidential:8.2  
MMMystery on the Friendship Express:9.2  
A Canterlot Wedding:9.0

Season 3

The Crystal Empire:9.3  
Too Many Pinkie Pies:9.3  
One Bad Apple:7.5  
Magic Duel:8.6  
Sleepless in Ponyville:9.1  
Wonderbolts Academy:9.1  
Apple Family Reunion:8.2  
Spike At Your Service:7.0  
Keep Calm and Flutter On:7.8  
Games Ponies Play:8.7  
Just for Sidekicks:8.0  
Magical Mystery Cure:8.0

Season 4

Princess Twilight Sparkle:9.4  
Castle Mane-ia:9.6  
Daring Don’t:8.6  
Flight to the Finish:8.8  
Power Ponies:8.9  
Bats!:8.4  
Rarity Takes Manehattan:9.0  
Pinkie Apple Pie:9.6  
Rainbow Falls:8.3  
Three’s A Crowd:9.3  
Pinkie Pride:9.5  
Simple Ways:8.2  
Filli Vanilli:9.0  
Twilight Time:9.2  
It Ain’t Easy Being Breezies:9.0  
Somepony To Watch Over Me: ∅  
Maud Pie: ?  
For Whom the Sweetie Belle Toils: ?  
Leap of Faith: ∅  
Testing Testing 1-2-3:9.5  
Trade Ya: ?  
Inspiration Manifestation: ∅  
Equestria Games: ∅  
Twilight’s Kingdom: ∅

Season 5

The Cutie Map: ∅  
Castle Sweet Castle: 9.0  
Bloom & Gloom: 8.0  
Tanks for the Memories: 7.5  
Appleloosa’s Most Wanted: 7.2  
Make New Friends But Keep Discord: 8.3  
The Lost Treasure of Griffonstone: 8.5  
Slice of Life: 9.6  
Princess Spike: 4.5  
Party Pooped: 9.0  
Amending Fences: 9.0  
Do Princesses Dream of Magic Sheep: 9.6  
Canterlot Boutique: 8.0  
Rarity Investigates: 9.0  
Made In Manehattan: 8.2  
Brotherhooves Social: 9.5  
Crusaders of the Lost Mark: 9.0  
The One Where Pinkie Pie Knows: 8.0  
Hearthbreakers:9.2  
Scare-Master:7.8  
What About Discord?:8.4  
The Hooffields and McColts:4.0  
The Mane Attraction: 8.1  
The Cutie Remark: 9.3

Season 6

The Crystalling - 8.0  
The Gift of Maud Pie - 9.0  
On Your Marks - 6.7  
Gauntlet of Fire - 8.1  
No Second Prances - 8.5  
Newbie Dash - 9.0  
A Hearth’s Warming Tale - 8.3  
The Saddle Row Review - 9.6  
Applejack’s Day Off - 7.8  
Flutter Brutter - 8.5  
Spice Up Your Life - 7.5  
Stranger Than Fan Fiction - 8.0  
The Cart Before The Ponies - 8.2  
28 Pranks Later - 8.4  
The Times Are-a-Changeling - 8.1  
Dungeons and Discords - 8.3  
Buckball Season - 8.0  
The Fault in Our Cutie Marks - 7.8  
Viva Las Pegasus - 7.5  
Every Little Thing She Does - 8.5  
PPOV - 9.5  
Where The Apple Lies - 9.2  
Top Bolt - 8.5  
To Where And Back Again - 8.8

Season 7

Celestial Advice:9.1  
All Bottled Up:8.9  
A Flurry of Emotions:9.5  
Rock Solid Friendship:9.5  
Fluttershy Leans In:8.4  
Forever Filly:9.2  
Parental Glideance:9.6  
Hard To Say Anything:8.7  
Honest Apple:8.6  
A Royal Problem:9.6  
Not Asking for Trouble:9.2  
Discordant Harmony:9.5  
The Perfect Pear:9.2  
Fame and Misfortune:8.2  
Triple Threat:9.3  
Campfire Tales:8.6  
To Change a Changeling:9.2  
Daring Done:9.2  
It Isn’t The Mane Thing About You:9.3  
A Health of Information:9.0  
Marks and Recreation:9.0  
Once Upon a Zeppelin:9.1  
Secrets and Pies:9.5  
Uncommon Bond:9.5  
Shadow Play:9.4

Season 8

School Daze:8.5  
The Maud Couple:9.5  
Fake It ’Til You Make It: 9.0  
Grannies Gone Wild:8.7  
Surf and/or Turf:8.0  
Horse Play:9.4  
The Parent Map:9.4  
Non-Compete Clause:8.8  
The Break Up Breakdown:9.4  
Molt Down:9.2  
Marks for Effort:9.0  
The Mean Six:8.0  
A Matter of Principals:8.5  
The Hearth’s Warming Club:9.5  
Friendship University:8.8  
The End in Friend:9.0  
Yakity-Sax:9.0  
On The Road to Friendship:9.1  
The Washouts:9.4  
Rockhoof and a Hard Place:9.2  
What Lies Beneath:9.3  
Sounds of Silence:9.5  
Father Knows Beast:8.5  
School Raze:9.3

Season 9

The Beginning Of The End:8.7  
Uprooted:9.1  
Twilight’s Seven:9.2  
The Point of No Return:9.4  
Common Ground:9.2  
She’s All Yak:9.0  
Frenemies: 9.3  
Sweet and Smoky:8.1  
Going to Seed:7.0  
Student Counsel:9.4  
The Last Crusade:9.3  
Between Dark and Dawn:9.0  
The Last Laugh:9.5  
2, 4, 6, Greaaat:8.7  
A Trivial Pursuit: 7.5  
The Summer Sun Setback: ∅  
She Talks To Angel: 9.0  
Dragon Dropped: 9.3  
A Horse Shoe-In:9.4  
Daring Doubt: 8.7  
Growing Up Is Hard To Do:8.9  
The Big Mac Question: 9.5  
The Ending of The End: 8.1  
The Last Problem: 9.6

About the question marks in the Season 4, these are episodes i watched but i never graded.
Background Pony #6150
I’m not sure why his ability to impersonate Grogar is so unbelievable. Discord is one of the few there old enough to possibly have known the real one, and even if he hadn’t, none of the other villains recruited ever knew Grogar personally. The only thing Sombra mentions is having heard of him. Tirek and Chrysalis remember tales and legends about him, with some doubts as to whether he was even real, and Cozy Glow doesn’t know who he is at all and doesn’t seem to have heard of him either. It’s really the perfect part to play.

Nevertheless, Discord had revealed important information about Grogar, who is called “the father of the monsters” and was a notorious villain who had ruled over what became Equestria in recent times. There is a strong possibility that Discord could have imitated Grogar because he was created by him, and thus put with intimate knowledge of him and his magical signature that we know is real by observing the bell.

“Grogar Forgery” as I call it, was the biggest disappointment of the entire Season 9 and one of the most controversial events of the entire G4 that had led to strong feelings among fans and viewers. It was a great shock, more experienced writers would have steered away, yet they did not do so with Grogar and Discord. We were expecting a grand battle between the good and the bad, where Twilight and her friends had to fight what was considered the biggest villain in G1 at that time.

Instead, Discord messed up, disappointed many who liked his character development and personality, his arrogance, indifference as when Sombra terrorized Equestria and destroyed the Harmony tree, and short-sightedness threw him into the abyss of disaster. The Mane 6 and her allies and friends had to clean up. And when the three villains are punished, Discord once again had to disappoint his fans because he went back on his word about not petrifying ponies as seen with Cozy Glow.

The final episodes of just 22 minutes are too short to see if Discord is being punished, he had committed criminal acts after all and allowed the three villains to be punished, which could be a criminal offense under the law of most human states. Because it was Discord who released them, encouraged them to commit offenses, and gave them the bell. It is punishable and the basis for acquittal in our world. Why did younger viewers see this?

Even in the Middle Ages, human beings were not tolerant of the kind of organizing the crimes of others. Here the writers had erred, they completely forgot that we have laws that would have made Discord an accomplice in the crime and that his actions are morally unacceptable. Although Discord risked his life as he helped out the rest of the Mane 6 and was forgiven by Twilight who chose to release him - many would not be disappointed if he had been left in the dungeon - it is a moral requirement that he be punished .

For the sake of viewers.
rdibp
My Little Pony - 1992 Edition
Friendship, Art, and Magic (2018) - Celebrated Derpibooru's six year anniversary with friends.
Birthday Cake - Celebrated MLP's 7th birthday
Not a Llama - Happy April Fools Day!
Friendship, Art, and Magic (2017) - Celebrated Derpibooru's five year anniversary with friends.

Kerfuffle lover
@Background Pony #DA2F  
The Grogar that we knew just wasn’t all that interesting. He was just someguy who shows up coincidently after the princesses announces their retirement and is just all talk and no show. All the episodes with Grogar focuses more on the villains more so than him, so it doesn’t feel like the finale focusing on them came out of nowhere.

I can understand the disappointment of expecting Grogar to have a trick up his sleeve for the finale, but what we got was still good.
Candacefan29
Thread Starter - /forums/pony/topics/season-6-episode-discussion
The End wasn't The End - Found a new home after the great exodus of 2012

Go Watch Helluva Boss
@Background Pony #DA2F
The Grogar that we knew just wasn’t all that interesting. He was just someguy who shows up coincidently after the princesses announces their retirement and is just all talk and no show. All the episodes with Grogar focuses more on the villains more so than him, so it doesn’t feel like the finale focusing on them came out of nowhere.
I can understand the disappointment of expecting Grogar to have a trick up his sleeve for the finale, but what we got was still good.

Exactly this.

Grogar would have been such a flat villain sue [though extremely oblivious and narrow-sighted] had he been played straight. The focus was always on the Triad which is a much better name for them than the ‘Mean 3’, i mean c’mon
RaineV1

it is a moral requirement that he be punished .

Why? The actual purpose of punishment is to redeem someone or to get them to not repeat the same behavior. The things that happened in the finale were a bigger punishment to him and more effective in that goal than anything the others could do to punish him.

Punishment just for the sake of making others feel better or just to make the punisher feel better isn’t punishment, it’s revenge or possibly just sadism. Either way it’s short sighted and petty.
AC97
Lunar Supporter - Helped forge New Lunar Republic's freedom in the face of the Solar Empire's oppressive tyrannical regime (April Fools 2023).
Non-Fungible Trixie -

@Background Pony #8E76

Celestia and Luna could defeat Sombra themselves, with just their combined power, no Elements (we know for certain it’s not the Elements, because they tried to stomp Cozy Glow the same way)… and Discord is far above them. In addition, Celestia was still standing in S5, in the wake of him.

So there’s no realistic way to go “Discord isn’t much more powerful than Sombra.”

@MrXemnas1992

Grogar was intentionally being portrayed as less interesting as the other three villains, period. There’s no way to deny that he wasn’t being set up as being compelling.

@Background Pony #DA2F

because he went back on his word about not petrifying ponies as seen with Cozy Glow.

I still believe it’s bizarre that people ever thought that had anything to do with actual morals on Discord’s part.

Stone = less chaos, less fun  
Death = less chaos, less fun  
Him being turned to stone = Discord is frustrated personally, selfishly

Legion of Doom = Discord doesn’t give the slightest fuck about fun, having them being chaotic, so stone it is, plus it’s been 7 seasons.

That’s how I see his thought process, regarding that.
Mr.Myoozik
StarTrix Forever! - Derpi Supporter
Pixel Perfection - I still call her Lightning Bolt
Silly Pony - Celebrated the 13th anniversary of MLP:FIM, and 40 years of MLP!
Shimmering Smile - Celebrated the 10th anniversary of Equestria Girls!
Solar Hero - Went above and beyond for the Solar Deity, drawing from the power of the sun itself to bring balance to the fight against the Lunar Insurrection (April Fools 2023).
Flower Trio - Helped others get their OC into the 2023 Derpibooru Collab.
Roseluck - Had their OC in the 2023 Derpibooru Collab.
King Sombra - Celebrated the 10th anniversary of The Crystal Empire!
A Lovely Nightmare Night - Celebrated the 12th anniversary of MLP:FIM!
Princess of Love - Extra special version for those who participated in the Canterlot Wedding 10th anniversary event by contributing art.

Music Connoisseur
Come to think about it, Grogar wasn’t really that interesting or fleshed out as an antagonist other than just “being the leader of the Legion”
AC97
Lunar Supporter - Helped forge New Lunar Republic's freedom in the face of the Solar Empire's oppressive tyrannical regime (April Fools 2023).
Non-Fungible Trixie -

@ILoveMyoozik

Exactly.

Grogar had the special position of being the antagonist with literally nothing about him being personal, as “advertised” before the twist, in sharp contrast to the other three. It would’ve been “they’re in my way,” not “they’ve defeated me before and I want revenge, and to take over.”

Even Celestia and Luna were born long after his defeat, which is something no villain that’s appeared in the entire series can say, I think.

The only beings he was shown being kinda cruel with were… the other villains.

Not innocent beings.
Don't
Thread Starter - One Piece Thread

Get up and Jump
@AC97  
Him being from that time made him kinda interesting

It’s not like the show expanded on The Trio’s grudge in a meaningful way anyway
Fwelin
Solar Supporter - Fought against the New Lunar Republic rebellion on the side of the Solar Deity (April Fools 2023).

So, question. In the last episode, Fluttershy says Discord is going to an “O and O convention”. Does that mean anything in particular, or is it just supposed to be a mystery as to what those stand for?
AC97
Non-Fungible Trixie -

@Fwelin

Ogres & Oubliettes convention.

It’s basically the Equestrian equivalent of Dungeons & Dragons, seen in Dungeons & Discords, and The Break Up Breakdown.
Background Pony #5203
While at it, this relates to the Shining Armor & Cadance blandness discussion from a little ago:  
Know what would have been cool? An episode of Shining Armor joining Discord et al for an O&O session. In the comics he was a nerd in his younger years, having this in an episode would have given him more of a character
TheRocketMan

@ILoveMyoozik  
Maybe not character wise. But as a threat combined with his power level, he would’ve provided a much more exciting climax. Instead we just got 3 villains we’ve already defeated (twice on one occasion) and a lower stakes battle as a result of Discord’s stupidity.
Interested in advertising on Derpibooru? Click here for information!
Techy Cutie Pony Collection!

Help fund the $15 daily operational cost of Derpibooru - support us financially!

Syntax quick reference: **bold** *italic* ||hide text|| `code` __underline__ ~~strike~~ ^sup^ %sub%

Detailed syntax guide