Season 9 Discussion Thread [Warning: SPOILERS!!!!!]

Poison Trail
Solar Supporter - Fought against the New Lunar Republic rebellion on the side of the Solar Deity (April Fools 2023).
Elements of Harmony - Had an OC in the 2022 Community Collab
Non-Fungible Trixie -
Wallet After Summer Sale -

@RaineV1

Yknow, I can get behind that. It does seem like the staff pushed this idea that her parents aren’t normal, and so isn’t she. Both parties are exceptional and don’t exactly compare to anything in reality except, like, military parents I guess? Yeah, fair enough.

(Still solidly sets the episode as being average though :P)
Background Pony #EEA5
I see the hiatus will last until the start of August, and the first episode after it is Pinkie’s?
Frustration in Excelsis
Notoriously Divine Tagger - Consistently uploads images above and beyond the minimum tag requirements. And/or additionally, bringing over the original description from the source if the image has one. Does NOT apply to the uploader adding several to a dozen tags after originally uploading with minimum to bare tagging.
Artist -
Cool Crow - "Caw!" An awesome tagger
Magnificent Metadata Maniac -

Worldbuilding Addict
@rdibp  
To be honest, the show has a fairly inconsistent stance on where Sweetie lives. I believe that “Sisterhooves Social” and “One Bad Apple” are the only episodes to actually show Sweetie living at her parents’ house in the present day – “For Whom the Sweetie Bell Tolls” also does, but in a flashback. Other episodes – like “Princess Twilight Sparkle” and “FWtSBT”‘s modern-day segments – show Sweetie as staying long-term at Rarity’s house; “FWtSBT” explicitly shows her having a dedicated bedroom there in the present.

Most episodes have also very much acted like Rarity is the primary caretaker and authority figure in Sweetie Belle’s life – when a story needs Sweetie Belle to have someone establishing rules for her, overseeing her, discipling her, giving her permission to do something or generally playing the role of the parental figure, it’s very often Rarity who does that. Even when Sweetie is at her parents’ place they don’t get written as doing any actual, you know, parenting. They really just cohabitate.

Heck, their parents barely ever appear anymore. They only made a truly notable appearance in “Sisterhooves Social”, and haven’t appeared at all since a brief cameo in “A Hearth’s Warming Tail” – and their last appearance before that is an equally brief cameo in “Inspiration Manifestation”, way back in Season 4.

The impression I get is that the show introduced Sweetie Belle’s and Rarity’s parents to answer the same logical question it only now got around to answering for Scootaloo and to explain where Sweetie lives, but didn’t find anything interesting to do with them and thus, after an evidently abortive start at establishing Sweetie as living with them, decided to act like she lives full-time at Rarity’s house instead.
RogueBadnik
Lunar Supporter - Helped forge New Lunar Republic's freedom in the face of the Solar Empire's oppressive tyrannical regime (April Fools 2023).
Non-Fungible Trixie -
My Little Pony - 1992 Edition
Not a Llama - Happy April Fools Day!

⌜Ω⌟
I think I was the only one to not be surprised by the aunts being lesbians from the beginning, given how they were portrayed in the italian release, yeah, I was like:

Me watching the italian dub: “Oh, they are lesbians”  
MEDIA: “They are lesbians!”  
Me: Yeah? I know.
rdibp
Friendship, Art, and Magic (2018) - Celebrated Derpibooru's six year anniversary with friends.
Birthday Cake - Celebrated MLP's 7th birthday
Friendship, Art, and Magic (2017) - Celebrated Derpibooru's five year anniversary with friends.

Kerfuffle lover
I feel like this episode would’ve faired better if Scootaloo actually did have to move away. Face it, this is the last season of the show and this could’ve been a more heartfelt episode about the hardships of having friends move away.

What’s the point of keeping the status quo in the last season?
RogueBadnik
Lunar Supporter - Helped forge New Lunar Republic's freedom in the face of the Solar Empire's oppressive tyrannical regime (April Fools 2023).
Non-Fungible Trixie -

⌜Ω⌟
@rdibp  
Scootaloo could have left and spray her ideas about helping other young ponies to get their cutie marks, so increasing the number of Cutie Mark Crusaders members until turning into a legit club.
Vivace
Artist -

“ShimSham my GlimGlams”
Indirect discovery of life purpose, yeah!

I’m so sorry you’ve not gotten many ideas. The struggle of an artist.

Aunt Holliday & Auntie Lofty on a lofty holiday.

Where have your parents been, Scoots? With Arnold’s?

So, somewhat like Arnold.

Eat your words, Snips.

Holliday is the Snap Shutter’s big sister.

Mane Allgood’s mane is all good.

Get Cheerilee to the bathroom before she has an accident.

Where’s the assignment got you to be?

The tree’s fine now, Ms. Allgood.

Apple Bloom was scared back in S5 that getting her cutie mark without her friends would split them apart. No one imagined it would be Scootaloo separating from them.

Next week? After Scootaloo leaves Ponyville?! What do you mean, “Are you crying?”

You’re making it up? Isn’t that bound to get found out?

Coordinate your speed.

Oh, come on, Snap Shutter, why’d you rain on your daughter’s parade like that?

A 10-legged tri-pony. Let’s hope you can fix this before some pony has to take care of business.

Uh-huh. Put your hoof down, Scootaloo.

Ok, I hate that reporter pony.

Scootaloo’s learned to accept her inability to fly, and now you’re uprooting her from her true place, forcing her off the ground.

For a second, I was scared the plan was to get them fired.

It should, Mane.

Maybe you should have asked, Snap.

Silver Spoon should’ve waved with Diamond Tiara.

Oof! Nice one, Lofty!

Can she keep the hat? It’ll be just like AJ, minus Snap’s death.

9x(01, 02) (Beginning of the End): 71 (77, 65)  
9x03 (Uprooted): 73  
9x04 (Sparkle’s 7): 76  
9x05 (Point of No Return): 74  
9x06 (Common Ground): 63  
9x07 (She’s All Yak): 63  
9x08 (Frenemies): 79  
9x09 (Sweet & Smoky): 70  
9x10 (Going to Seed): 73  
9x11 (Student Counsel): 71  
9x12 (The Last Crusade): 72  
9x13 (Between Dark & Dawn): 77
Poison Trail
Solar Supporter - Fought against the New Lunar Republic rebellion on the side of the Solar Deity (April Fools 2023).
Non-Fungible Trixie -

@rdibp

I do think that would’ve been the better option as opposed to hamming it up with the KEYS TO THE CITY and all that, an extreme answer to an extreme decision by the parents for sure, but ah well. Gotta reach for that happy ending I guess.
rdibp
Friendship, Art, and Magic (2018) - Celebrated Derpibooru's six year anniversary with friends.
Friendship, Art, and Magic (2017) - Celebrated Derpibooru's five year anniversary with friends.

Kerfuffle lover
@Poison Trail  
I have no quarrels with what Snap Shutter said about their cutie marks. About how even when they are far apart, they will still be together.

But no, it’s treated as if he is self-minded.
rdibp

Kerfuffle lover
I really don’t mind Scootaloo’s parents. They were only doing what they thought was right for her and it resided with their jobs.
Miss Shy
Silly Pony - Celebrated the 13th anniversary of MLP:FIM, and 40 years of MLP!
Roseluck - Had their OC in the 2023 Derpibooru Collab.
Non-Fungible Trixie -
Preenhub - We all know what you were up to this evening~
Twinkling Balloon - Took part in the 2021 community collab.
Ten years of changes - Celebrated the 10th anniversary of MLP:FiM!
Friendship, Art, and Magic (2020) - Took part in the 2020 Community Collab

You're going to love me.
I dunno why people expected so much out of Scootaloo’s parents. From what we know, they were never the best at the whole parenting thing anyway.

I mean, even their debut was children almost dying, that’s kind of a big indicator.

But blah blah blah Australian joke and why Scootaloo doesn’t fear death.

Well, at least that’s one more mystery solved.

I think we wrapped up the whole “will Scootaloo ever fly” with a “it’s up to you, content creators” in Washouts, so, I guess that’s all wrapped up. Scootaloo might be able to fly, Sweetie Belle can use magic, and Apple Bloom can do evil spooky witch stuff.

Not much else to wrap up with our main characters, which is good.

Anyway, the episode was pretty good.

I mean, it’s good that we know about Scootaloo’s parents, it’s great that we get lesbians on-screen in this show, and I like the continuity community at the end.

Nothing really surprising story-wise, though. Kinda figured Scootaloo would choose to stay in the end.

I’d like to think that in an alternate universe, Cozy Glow is there cheering on the CMC.

…And Rumble’s the one at Grogar’s legion of doom.

1. Sparkle’s Seven  
  2. The Beginning of the End  
  3. Frenemies  
  4. Student Counsel  
  5. Sweet and Smoky  
    6. The Last Crusade  
  6. Common Ground  
  7. She’s All Yak  
  8. Going to Seed  
  9. Uprooted  
  10. The Point of No Return

Next time is the midseason finale, which is also a princess episode.

So hopefully this does better than Royal Problem.

Daybreaker 2, please?
Background Pony #8C89
It would’ve made more sense and been a much better aesop if Scootaloo did have to leave, because it’s fairly rare that kids end up being near all their childhood friends their entire lives. But yeah, status quo even though the series is almost over.
Background Pony #F057
Have you noticed that most of Dubuc’s episodes have big problems in them that drag down the episode as a whole?

>Twilight thinking the CMC intentionally tutored Cozy Glow wrong  
>Starlight being the one to apologize to Discord despite doing nothing wrong the entire episode
Interested in advertising on Derpibooru? Click here for information!
My Little Ties crafts shop

Help fund the $15 daily operational cost of Derpibooru - support us financially!

Syntax quick reference: **bold** *italic* ||hide text|| `code` __underline__ ~~strike~~ ^sup^ %sub%

Detailed syntax guide