Season 9 Discussion Thread [Warning: SPOILERS!!!!!]

cheezedoodle
Roll for Initiative - For Patreon supporters
A Lovely Nightmare Night - Celebrated the 12th anniversary of MLP:FIM!
The Power of Love - Given to a publicly verified artist with an image under their artist’s tag that has reached 1000 upvotes
Princess of Love - Extra special version for those who participated in the Canterlot Wedding 10th anniversary event by contributing art.
Non-Fungible Trixie -
Thread Starter - OC Tag Description Requests
Friendship, Art, and Magic (2020) - Took part in the 2020 Community Collab
The Magic of Friendship Grows - For helping others attend the 2020 Community Collab
Dream Come True! - Participated in the MLP 9th Anniversary Event
Silver Bit -

TagZombie: AC15, Atk +8
they made a big deal over Scootaloo “aunts” yet they barely are in the episode

They were introduced in the simplest, most low-key, organic way possible. No attention was drawn to their status. And yet people are still complaining that:

A. They weren’t gay enough! They should’ve kissed. The writers are cowards. Look at other shows like Steven Universe and Adventure Time.

B. They shouldn’t be gay! Including any homosexual characters is pandering to leftists. The writers are attention whores who are in it for the pride month money (???).

There was no winning solution that’s going to please everyone. You just progress inch by inch and the complaining voices will eventually go away when homosexuality is completely normalized in a generation or so.
cheezedoodle
The Power of Love - Given to a publicly verified artist with an image under their artist’s tag that has reached 1000 upvotes
Princess of Love - Extra special version for those who participated in the Canterlot Wedding 10th anniversary event by contributing art.
Non-Fungible Trixie -
The Magic of Friendship Grows - For helping others attend the 2020 Community Collab
Silver Bit -

@E-123  
Why would they sit on it when they have journalists contacting them to talk about it? It had already aired in Italy by the time any articles appeared here.

They were well within their rights to take pride in introducing a groundbreaking pair of characters.
cheezedoodle
Non-Fungible Trixie -
Silver Bit -

@PonyPon
If the plan was to make them gay from the beginning, they should had confirm it without being a BIG NEWS crap, like Disney did with the pair of antelopes in Zootopia.

It was only BIG NEWS in our tiny little fandom circle. There were a handful of tweets by the writers and a couple of news stories. It was going to be BIG NEWS in the fandom whether or not there were news stories about it or tweets about it. Look at the shitstorm we had here when Lyrabon was given the under-the-table nod. That lasted MONTHS and all we really had was a wink and a nod from Big Jim saying BEST FRIENDS…
RogueBadnik
Lunar Supporter - Helped forge New Lunar Republic's freedom in the face of the Solar Empire's oppressive tyrannical regime (April Fools 2023).
Non-Fungible Trixie -
My Little Pony - 1992 Edition
Wallet After Summer Sale -
Not a Llama - Happy April Fools Day!

⌜Ω⌟
@PonyPon
If the plan was to make them gay from the beginning, they should had confirm it without being a BIG NEWS crap, like Disney did with the pair of antelopes in Zootopia.
It was only BIG NEWS in our tiny little fandom circle.

Uh, I think that fandom circle is bigger, because there are many articles and news out there about this episode, almost comparable to that episode of Arthur. The media made into a big deal.
AWGear
Solar Supporter - Fought against the New Lunar Republic rebellion on the side of the Solar Deity (April Fools 2023).
Roseluck - Had their OC in the 2023 Derpibooru Collab.
Elements of Harmony - Had an OC in the 2022 Community Collab
Non-Fungible Trixie -
Twinkling Balloon - Took part in the 2021 community collab.
Ten years of changes - Celebrated the 10th anniversary of MLP:FiM!
An Artist Who Rocks - 100+ images under their artist tag

The Devil's Advocate
@cheezedoodle  
Why do you have to normalize something that is already normal?

Also, I actually find your point rather funny, as you portrayed those aguments as ones used by 2 completly diffrent kinds of people. Yet, I’ve used them before together, because both of them are true together.

I will probably repeat myself, but I loved the way they were portrayed in the epsiode. They are 2 most adorable and loving old ladies we have seen in the show, and I’d love to see more of them.

Both of the arguments you presented have some merit to them.

For someone who loves a good story that is contained in itself, I would prefere thier whole character development to come in the episode, not on twitter.  
From the pov of “fairness” and equality, we should also see an LGBT relationship episode too (as we got so many straight ones).  
I think that episode did the representation of gay characters remarkably well.

Your argument for the second side has alot of good points too.

It’s what many “progresive leftists” want. Just because your viewers want something, doesn’t mean you should give it to them. Fan-service and fan-pandering are the issues that come out of it.  
Also, since it’s june, topics like this gain alot of needles publicity. If they would release this episode in any other time of the year, hell, even waiting for the second time of the season, this argument wouldn’t stand.  
Like it or not, but everything “pride” related sells like crazy in june.

@E-123  
ALSO, if they wouldn’t “confirm” thier sexuality at all, as we knew about them being gay for 2 years already. This was just a needless reminder, to something that was already “pretty obvious” in the episode itself.

@cheezedoodle

Because as a content creator, you should have your own morality. If you know that some news outlets may use your work of art to push thier agenda (ethier leftist or rightist in this case), you should immidiately decline any interview. MLP was always a “show for everyone”. It’s inclusivity was what brought people together. The interviews that show writters did essentially lead to “the show” sideing with one side of the political spectrum, which taken away that “inclusivity” it once had. No matter if you were from the right or the left, show (and it’s runners) would be respectfull to your beliefs and bronies would happliy have you in the fandom.

Tell me, How are they “groundbreaking”?  
Homosexuality is a normal thing. Going with this logic, homosexual characters are also a normal thing.  
Now, how can you take pride in doing something, that by your standard, should be a normal thing?  
Yes, they didn’t had much of representation in most TV shows, but that isn’t a reason to make a big deal about introducing them.  
What you should do, to pursue this goal, is introduce them just as “normal characters”. Give subtle hint here or there, but don’t say it outright. It’s always best to ask yourself a question before making any decision like this “Would I do the same for the straight character?” If your answer is no, then don’t do it. Because that’s not “normal” then.  
I wish we will see more gay characters like this. Characters that we will only find out about thier sexuality through the clever writting, and not “bold statements”. Because as a writter, you have power to make people think. When people think, they can come to important conclusions.

You never should like character “because they are gay”, but because of the character they are.  
You should find a character that you can connect to, based on thier personality and behaviour.  
If they share your sexuality, then that’s great, it’s a bonus that makes you feel even closer to them.  
If not, then you already love them for who they are.
Background Pony #F057
Could Discord be the coach for the Buckball team? I think that’d be interesting.
RaineV1

@AWGear  
>What you should do, to pursue this goal, is introduce them just as “normal characters”. Give subtle hint here or there

Now this I have to disagree with. While you shouldn’t go championing it on twitter or whatever, trying to be subtle is also idiotic. When a straight couple gets married in the show, that’s not a subtle hint at their sexuality. That’s pretty blatant. Same for the straight couple having children. We’ve had episodes of Rarity wanting her prince, of Big Mac hooking up with Sugar Bell, among quite a few other instances were not subtle. If you don’t have to be subtle with straight characters then you shouldn’t have to be subtle with gay characters.

>Homosexuality is a normal thing.

It is, but in many parts of the US it is not viewed that way. Hell, that Arthur episode got banned in Alabama. We have politicians proudly proclaiming how they’re fighting against the gay agenda and protecting “real” families. A lot of the US still see it as an abomination, the devil’s work, that gay guys are pedophiles, etc. The response of the writers didn’t just come out of the blue with zero prodding. It is an issue over here, especially in the conservative south and midwest.
RaineV1

@Joshua  
Saying an unpopular opinion doesn’t make you brave. It just means you’re saying an unpopular opinion. There’s a couple threads purely devoted to that in this forum.

Personally, I didn’t necessarily dislike them. It’s just that they were pretty obviously oblivious and dropped the news on Scootaloo in just about the worst way possible all the while thinking that she would just jump right along with the idea. They’re kinda irresponsible and impulsive (a lot like Scootaloo herself).

Though that was them having to be pushed to continue the plot. A plot that honestly was just badly done period and should have been scrapped for a different idea. Just Scootaloo telling her parents about the stuff she’s done or them hearing about it from the town without the move plotline would have been better. It was a pretty contrived way of trying to push some drama on the cmc at the end of the series.
Anonycat
Duck - "her mere existence is enough to put me in a quack mood, I might as well return the favor by quacking it around"
My Little Pony - 1992 Edition
Wallet After Summer Sale -
Friendship, Art, and Magic (2019) - Celebrated Derpibooru's seventh year anniversary with friends.
A Tale For The Ages - Celebrated MLP's 35th Anniversary and FiM's 8th Anniversary
An Artist Who Rocks - 100+ images under their artist tag
Not a Llama - Happy April Fools Day!
Artist -
The End wasn't The End - Found a new home after the great exodus of 2012

Okay, I guess.
I know it wasn’t the show staff’s intention, but boy, they come out as horrendous parents. This is what happens when you spend 8 seasons beating around the bush regarding Scoot’s parents and only introduce them at the last moment possible.
Frustration in Excelsis
Notoriously Divine Tagger - Consistently uploads images above and beyond the minimum tag requirements. And/or additionally, bringing over the original description from the source if the image has one. Does NOT apply to the uploader adding several to a dozen tags after originally uploading with minimum to bare tagging.
Artist -
Cool Crow - "Caw!" An awesome tagger
Magnificent Metadata Maniac -

Worldbuilding Addict
To say my own piece on this week’s burning controversy, I feel like this episode’s issues are for the most part not really issues with the episode and characters in and of themselves, and more issues with its placement in the larger show.

What I mean is that if you took this episode and dropped it in Season 2 or Season 3, with just the bare minimum of changes continuity would dictate, there wouldn’t really be any particular problems. Scootaloo would have parents that happen to have time-demanding jobs and who were on an extended trip for a while, now they’ve come back to visit and over the rest of the show’s run they could drop in or contact Scootaloo now and again, and things for the most part would be fine.

However, airing as it did midway through the show’s last season, this doesn’t work so well. What would have worked fine as an answer to why Scoot’s parents were never around six or seven seasons ago falls rather flat in the light of both their extremely long absence and of it being made fairly clear that Scootaloo has no one that she can reliably count on for familial support and is, as such, kind of desperate to get Rainbow Dash to be her adopted big sister/parental figure (it’s fairly clear that she wants Rainbow to be for her what Applejack is to Apple Bloom and Rarity is to Sweetie Belle, and the show has treated Applejack and Rarity as being borderline parental figures for their sisters).

Point is, what would have been a workable premise back in the day is hampered by a show’s worth of driving home again and again that Scootaloo doesn’t have any stable adult presence in her life and desperately wants one.

Combined with all of that, the result is that Scootaloo’s parents do kinda come across as having never made any real effort at raising their daughter or being there for her, and are only swooping in now to cart her off to the other end of the world once she’d finally gotten around to establishing herself as a person. Doesn’t work that well.

Insofar as the episode by itself goes, I only really have one issue: the exchange between Scootaloo and her mom about the letters – with Scootaloo asking if her mom had gotten them and the latter replying that yes, she got and read them all – kinda implies that, since Scootaloo had the need to ask if the letters ever reached them, her parents didn’t confirm this before – meaning, by implication, they likely never wrote back.

Well, that and Scootaloo’s folks could have given her more than two days to digest that bombshell.

All in all, this episode’s biggest flaw is really bad timing.

@RaineV1  
It’s just that they were pretty obviously oblivious and dropped the news on Scootaloo in just about the worst way possible all the while thinking that she would just jump right along with the idea. They’re kinda irresponsible and impulsive (a lot like Scootaloo herself).

Or this. This is pretty much my own take on the parents.
Interested in advertising on Derpibooru? Click here for information!
Techy Cutie Pony Collection!

Help fund the $15 daily operational cost of Derpibooru - support us financially!

Syntax quick reference: **bold** *italic* ||hide text|| `code` __underline__ ~~strike~~ ^sup^ %sub%

Detailed syntax guide