Starlight Glimmer- What is the opinion of her still?

Star Seeker

Annoying fan has arrived
@Ring Team  
Dude, didn’t we talk in unpopular opinions? The only episode where Starlight’s “Mary Sueness” solves the problem is A Royal Problem, in every other episode Starlight’s magic either is the problem or doesn’t fix anything.

And Starlight doesn’t use anything to excuse not being judged, no one likes to be judged, deserving or not. This merely show Starlight’s self-awareness of her actions, the one who punishes Starlight more than anyone else is Starlight herself.
Ring Team
Silly Pony - Celebrated the 13th anniversary of MLP:FIM, and 40 years of MLP!
Lunar Supporter - Helped forge New Lunar Republic's freedom in the face of the Solar Empire's oppressive tyrannical regime (April Fools 2023).
Ten years of changes - Celebrated the 10th anniversary of MLP:FiM!
A Really Classy Artist - 250+ images under their artist tag
An Artist Who Rocks - 100+ images under their artist tag
Artist -

@Pause  
Nah, I don’t agree with that.

The Mane 6 might have some strengths, but they also have some weaknesses, which make them relatable.

Cutie Map, Cutie Remark, All bottled up, Uncommon bond and A royal problem show that Starlight is more powerful than an alicorn. I only would accept that crazy use of magic if that magic comes from an amulet or a scepter, kinda like that amulet from Magic Duel. But the fact that Starlight can be that powerful is scary.

I think Starlight has tons of details that makes her a Mary Sue, such as:

-Nobody questions her  
-She’s more powerful than the alicorns  
-Solves anything with magic  
-Her magic is like the cheat codes from a GTA game (such as age regression, time travel spells and swapping cutie marks like nothing, a spell that invalidates the identity and the purpose of having a cutie mark that was stablished in Call of the Cutie)  
-Everyone loves her

I don’t necessarily say that she’s a Mary Sue (saying only that without arguments is pointless), but she has LOTS of features that Mary Sues tend to have. She kinda reminds me of Rey from the Rise of Skywalker or Kirito in that stupid weeb show. She’s basically 95% Mary Sue.
Background Pony #0D42
@Ring Team  
If the term meant anything, then Twilight would be 1000% Mary Sue. I swear, your understanding of Starlight is among the most shallow and ill-informed I’ve seen.
Ring Team
Lunar Supporter - Helped forge New Lunar Republic's freedom in the face of the Solar Empire's oppressive tyrannical regime (April Fools 2023).
Artist -

@Background Pony #0D42  
I don’t think Twilight Sparkle is a Mary Sue.

At the beginning of the show she was a student of princess Celestia in Canterlot. She’s also a bookworm, which makes Twilight seeing friendship as something meaningless, ignoring any greetings from other ponies. However, she’s sent to Ponyville not only to make some friends, but to also appreciate the meaning of friendship, learning lots of things about it in the show. Over the years she became more friendly and she met some antagonists, but her determination is always there for her to overcome some problems.

Also, her magic isn’t that powerful. I think her most powerful spells were in A Canterlot wedding, Castle-maneia and Twilight’s Kingdom, but it’s very minor compared to the also minor use of magic in the show, only for teleportation, some basic levitation, butterfly wings and other little things. And in Twilight’s kingdom makes sense because she has the power of Celestia, Luna and Cadence.

She also did some bad stuff in Lesson Zero, but it only was for one minute and it was at the third act of the episode.

Compared to Starlight, Twilight’s magic is only reserved for minor spells just to progress the story.
Background Pony #0D42
@Ring Team  
“Also, her magic isn’t that powerful.” Literally described as “almost as powerful as Starswirl the Bearded,” and is Princess Celestia’s personal protégé turned alicorn. Not that powerful? Minor spells? Yeah, sure.

[
Twilight:
*is the unicorn with the most raw ability Princess Celestia had ever seen
*is the personal apprentice of Princess Celestia
*is destined to wield the most powerful magic known to ponydom
*is gift-wrapped five friends from the get-go’
*gets to become an alicorn princess
*the list goes on
Starlight is just a gifted unicorn in a setting where gifted unicorns are plentiful enough that there’s a dedicated school for them.
](/forums/pony/topics/starlight-glimmer-appreciation-thread?post_id=4945312#post_4945312)
Star Seeker

Annoying fan has arrived
The Mane 6 might have some strengths, but they also have some weaknesses, which make them relatable.

So does Starlight, for example:  
  • She overreacts. A lot.  
  • She often doesn’t think things through.  
  • She self-conscious of her past to the point of self-deprecation

Cutie Map, Cutie Remark, All bottled up, Uncommon bond and A royal problem show that Starlight is more powerful than an alicorn.

Not really. In Cutie Map she overpowered Twilight because of an artifact; in Cutie Remark she was in a more advantageous position than Twilight due to being in the past and Twilight having to deal with time travel; In All Bottle Up she… what are you saying she did that make her powerful than a Alicorn? Same thing with A Royal Problem, if you’re talking about her switching Luna and Celestia’s Cutie Mark that hardly makes her more powerful that they are, especially since they weren’t expecting it.

@Ring Team  
-Nobody questions her
-She’s more powerful than the alicorns
-Solves anything with magic
-Her magic is like the cheat codes from a GTA game (such as age regression, time travel spells and swapping cutie marks like nothing, a spell that invalidates the identity and the purpose of having a cutie mark that was stablished in Call of the Cutie)
-Everyone loves her

• Twilight questioned her in No Secord Prances, Thorax questiononed and reprimanded her in To Change a Changeling, and so did Trixie in A Road to Friendship, and not a lot of character have a reason to question her anyway. Not only that but no one in Ponyvile berates Twilight after Lesson Zero, no one berates Rainbow Dash after she destroyed that weather factory, no one berated Rarity after Inspiration Manifestation and the list goes On. Of course, those weren’t as serious as Starlight’s crimes but they got off with a slap in the wrist. And before you point out the elephant in the room, the Mane Six did reprimand her do the events of ELTSD before accepting her apology.  
  • As shown above, she might be more powerful than Twilight when she was an unicorn or Cadance, but she certainly isn’t more powerful than Luna and Celestia.  
  • As I stated multiple times, the only problem she solved with magic was in A Royal Problem, and not without questioning herself in the process. Every other time her magic either is the problem or it doesn’t solve anything. She doesn’t solve the problems in The Crystallimg or A Matter of Principals with her magic, for example.  
  • She made the age regression and time travel thing with magic scrolls from other mages, not by herself, and the Cutie mark thing is a fair point but I will point that her introduction already established her proficiency in Cutie Mark magic.  
  • Everyone also loves Twilight and others, that’s not unique to Starlight, and again the do question her sometimes so what’s the deal?
Dex Stewart
Shimmering Smile - Celebrated the 10th anniversary of Equestria Girls!
Solar Supporter - Fought against the New Lunar Republic rebellion on the side of the Solar Deity (April Fools 2023).
Roseluck - Had their OC in the 2023 Derpibooru Collab.
King Sombra - Celebrated the 10th anniversary of The Crystal Empire!
A Lovely Nightmare Night - Celebrated the 12th anniversary of MLP:FIM!
Princess of Love - Extra special version for those who participated in the Canterlot Wedding 10th anniversary event by contributing art.
Elements of Harmony - Had an OC in the 2022 Community Collab
Non-Fungible Trixie -
Twinkling Balloon - Took part in the 2021 community collab.

Ecto-Phase,Activate!
In my opinion Starlight’s joining the Mane Six coincided with the show’s decline in writing quality. Not that there’s many episodes I dislike,but there were definitely more dull slogs than in the first five seasons. Unfortunately for Starlight,she seemed to get the worst Episodes,at least until they paired her with Trixie. They work off each other so well,and I wasn’t even a fan of Trixie.
Background Pony #0D42
@Star Seeker  
And isn’t

the fact that Twilight can offer a chance at redemption that her opponent accepts right when the opponent is about to triumph, while Starlight has to make the offer after her opponent’s defeat, and is met with a wrathful rejection and vow of vengeance,

a point against Starlight being a bigger Mary Sue?
Ring Team
Artist -

In Boast Busters Twilight managed to sleep that giant bear, but she took her time and it was only in the third act of the story. It’s not like it was an important detail in the episode, because the focus was in Trixie and how she glorifies her attitude.

In Magic Duel she managed to take Trixie’s amulet not by using magic, but by creating the illusion that it’s magic.

To be honest, I’m not a huge fan of Lesson Zero and It’s about time. In the first episode Twilight wanted to manipulate other ponies, but at least it was 2 minutes of a 22 min. episode. It’s not like Every little thing she does, where two thirds of the entire episode was basically Starlight manipulating Twilight’s friends. And the second episode was a bit forgettable.

If by writing MMM you mean the Pinkie Pie detective episode, to be honest it’s one of the few episodes in season 2 that I didn’t like.

If you want to defend a character such as Starlight, that’s fine. I have no problem with that. But pointing out the Mane 6 just to say that “they are more mary sues than Starlight” is not convincing, especially compared to what she did in previous seasons and what she can do. If by defending a character we have to point out other characters as if they are responsibles of Starlight’s shenanigans, then it would be a rabbit hole with no end, because eventually everyone is a jerk just by arguing first that “the mane 6 are more mary sues than Starlight”.

It would be like the defenders of Man of Steel saying that “the avengers didn’t save anyone in the Avengers film” even though we have sequences of them trying to help the citizens unlike Man of Steel, as if pointing out these details would make Man of Steel a better film.

If the writers really wanted to touch some redemption themes with Starlight, then they should consider other type of blueprint they actually have. Like Luna Eclipsed, One bad Apple, Crusaders of the Lost Mark, the MLP film. Heck, maybe even Rainbow Rocks. I don’t consider it a good film, but Sunset’s redemption arc can be more than enough to use it as a blueprint for Starlight episodes.

Luna was fine in Luna Eclipsed, and at the end everyone accepted her.

Babs Seed, despite what she has done, she wanted to apologize to Apple Bloom and her friends.

Diamond Tiara was manipulated by her toxic mother and wanted to do the right thing by donating some money to fix the playground of her school.

And Tempest Shadow wanted to do the right thing despite what she has done. She sacrificed against Storm King because that’s what friends do.

These are good examples of how to write a nice arc of redemption. It’s not like it’s an impossible task. They can do that.
Latecomer

@Ring Team  
It’s true that Starlight’s redemption arc was haphazard, and Every Little Thing She Does was a low point. But that doesn’t make post-redemption Starlight a bad character. And the whole thing about magic and flaws really is pretty much like early Twilight.
Star Seeker

Annoying fan has arrived
If by writing MMM you mean the Pinkie Pie detective episode, to be honest it’s one of the few episodes in season 2 that I didn’t like.

I was talking about The S3 finale.  
… And I just realize it was supposed to be MMC. Sorry.

@Ring Team  
In Boast Busters Twilight managed to sleep that giant bear, but she took her time and it was only in the third act of the story. It’s not like it was an important detail in the episode, because the focus was in Trixie and how she glorifies her attitude.

That’s what I meant with “It not the main thing” or “it’s not the only thing”, Twilight’s magical abilities advances the plot in that episode, but it’s not the main thing. Not all Starlight involve magic specifically, either, like No Second Prances.  
To be honest, I’m not a huge fan of Lesson Zero and It’s about time. In the first episode Twilight wanted to manipulate other ponies, but at least it was 2 minutes of a 22 min. episode. It’s not like Every little thing she does, where two thirds of the entire episode was basically Starlight manipulating Twilight’s friends. And the second episode was a bit forgettable.

But Twilight did manipulate other in that episode, and she’s reprimanded just like Starlight, but you’re not treating them the same, and I pretty sure this isn’t a question of “time”, what matters is what happened. Also, I pretty sure you would still complain about Starlight’s magic even if the episode in question was forgettable.

If you want to defend a character such as Starlight, that’s fine. I have no problem with that. But pointing out the Mane 6 just to say that “they are more mary sues than Starlight” is not convincing, especially compared to what she did in previous seasons and what she can do. If by defending a character we have to point out other characters as if they are responsibles of Starlight’s shenanigans, then it would be a rabbit hole with no end, because eventually everyone is a jerk just by arguing first that “the mane 6 are more mary sues than Starlight”.

We were merely pointing out that a lot of things you complain about Starlight are present in other characters, sometimes to a greater extent. I personally don’t think the Mane Six are Mary Sues, just that they also have elements that people criticize Starlight about but are not held to the same standards as her.

I realize that the difference is Starlight’s background, but what I’m talking about is the show general lack of consequences for the actions of most characters, reformed villains or not. The former is also somewhat questionable since sometimes they still do other questionable action with a slap on the wrist, like Discord.

If the writers really wanted to touch some redemption themes with Starlight, then they should consider other type of blueprint they actually have.

But why though? Other characters redemptions weren’t similar with each other, why should Starlight be different? Sunset’s was distinct from Discord, for example.

I think one possible reason for thinking that is that you think the writers didn’t bother writing a redemption arc for Starlight, but that is simply not true.

Starlight did have a redemption arc, but it was mostly internal, the pony that question Starlight the most is herself and the viewer can see that self-deprecating mentality affecting herbmany times during her episodes, like when she thinks that she doomed Equestria in A Royal Problem.

Starlight arc is different from other reformed villains in that she has friends that support her, but she herself hold her down, not necessarily others who judge her.

I don’t think you will magically gain a new admiration for Starlight, so I won’t bother going in detail, but I would appreciate if you thought about it a little and throw you bias against her away for a moment.
Pause

World's Smallest Violin
Celestia literally turned the Crystal Empire two parter into a test for Twilight.

The Season 5 finale had them go through multiple timelines where if those six don’t become friends then Equestria is screwed.

The series basically let the Mane 6 and Twilight get away with a lot.

Effectively, the world revolved around Twilight and the girls to excessive amounts beyond “main characters”.

If anything Starlight was the beginning of putting competency in the pool characters that weren’t sleeping with the Tree of Harmony. Which is good because it dragged back the excessive overwhelming importance on the main characters.
GenericArchangel
Alicorn Squadron - For supporting the site
Pixel Perfection - I still call her Lightning Bolt
Solar Supporter - Fought against the New Lunar Republic rebellion on the side of the Solar Deity (April Fools 2023).
Princess of Love - Extra special version for those who participated in the Canterlot Wedding 10th anniversary event by contributing art.
Artist -
Elements of Harmony - Had an OC in the 2022 Community Collab
Non-Fungible Trixie -
Preenhub - We all know what you were up to this evening~
Twinkling Balloon - Took part in the 2021 community collab.
Bronze Supporter - Bronze Supporter

Free the Tantabus
@Pause  
Building on this, Starlight was the only villain in the entire series who could beat Twilight without either innately having an overwhelming advantage or using a power-up to get there. She was just another unicorn who, through sheer skill and malice, fought Twilight to a draw. Even after her reformation, she was consistently better at applying her magic, even if she was over-reliant on it, and also proved herself to be less shy of confrontation for the better. She was a character the show needed to balance out Twilight’s presence, and it worked.
Ring Team
Artist -

@Latecomer  
I don’t know. I won’t say that you’re wrong (because that’s basically disrespect, and I don’t want to do that to anybody)…

But I’d love to see that part of Starlight that most fans see.
Star Seeker

Annoying fan has arrived
@Ring Team  
It’s fine, people can’t agree on everything, if you don’t like Starlight I don’t mind that much, just wanted to at least have a try in explaining why I don’t think the Starlight hate is deserved. If there is a day you start to understand Starlight more, great, but there’s no problem if you don’t.
Interested in advertising on Derpibooru? Click here for information!
The Travelling Pony Museum Shop!

Help fund the $15 daily operational cost of Derpibooru - support us financially!

Syntax quick reference: **bold** *italic* ||hide text|| `code` __underline__ ~~strike~~ ^sup^ %sub%

Detailed syntax guide