Sunset Shimmer Theories? (Spoilers!)

Inside_the_Chimney

SPOILERS AHEAD! YOU HAVE BEEN WARNED

Ok, so I saw Equestria Girls yesterday and I’m just wondering if anyone has a headcanon/theory as to why Sunset Shimmer after being defeated is suddenly (after being a complete bitch the whole movie) all ‘I’m sorry!’ “I just wanted friends!’. She wanted to RULE Equestria and brainwash everyone, why the change?  
Is this just a weak plot point with the whole ‘defeat means friendship’ device? Or did she really believe that conquering Equestria would get her friends and she’s not thinking lucidly enough to see how ridiculous her plan is (and maybe the EoH ‘purified’ her mind like with Luna in season 1)

Am I over-thinking a one time villain?

But seriously if anyone has any thoughts on her motives or if she just happens to be messed up in the head, I would love to hear it.
Grieffon
The Power of Love - Given to a publicly verified artist with an image under their artist’s tag that has reached 1000 upvotes
Equality - In our state, we do not stand out.
Friendship, Art, and Magic (2018) - Celebrated Derpibooru's six year anniversary with friends.
Birthday Cake - Celebrated MLP's 7th birthday
Not a Llama - Happy April Fools Day!
Magnificent Metadata Maniac - #1 Assistant
Bronze Bit -
Artist -
Happy Derpy! -
A Perfectly Normal Pony - <Grieffon> it does kinda dry out a bit with fast strokes

h
Maybe just a play to get out of the situation? I think it would have been more like her to try to run to the portal instead of genuinely apologizing, but that wouldn’t be, you know, for kids.

Anyone has a theory as to why she was crying before her satan transformation?
boz
Lunar Supporter - Helped forge New Lunar Republic's freedom in the face of the Solar Empire's oppressive tyrannical regime (April Fools 2023).
Thread Starter - The evil council continuation

@Grieffon  
I agree about just wanting to get away from the situation but as for running to the portal it was no option, she would have ended in front of the crystal empire guards with nothing more than regular unicorn magic.
Ninoyiya
Thread Starter - Overwatch thread

Not really a theory, but here’s some food for thought;

Where is the other Sunset Shimmer?

Did Sunset get rid of her and highjack her life?
Itsthinking
Princess Ember - Derpi Supporter
Diamond -
Friendship, Art, and Magic (2018) - Celebrated Derpibooru's six year anniversary with friends.
Perfect Pony Plot Provider - Uploader of 10+ images with 350 upvotes or more (Questionable/Explicit)
An Artist Who Rocks - 100+ images under their artist tag
Friendship, Art, and Magic (2017) - Celebrated Derpibooru's five year anniversary with friends.
Silver Supporter -
Happy Derpy! -

🅱
Pretty sure that crown did something to her. She was crying during the transformation sequence. Maybe the Element of Magic doesn’t like being on the person not meant to wear it?
LyteBryte

@Itsthinking  
I noticed that too. I was disturbed, I was like “Oh god, is she in pain? This is pretty dark.”  
And then suddenly they’re like human-versions of Luna’s Night Gaurds mixed with Dragons.

Anywho, I would really like to see some kind of episode centered around Sunset Shimmer trying to stay good. Like, resisting temptations of being evil and gaining power because she’s trying to turn a new leaf. We all know the chances of this happening are slim-to-none, but if she is more than just a one-off character, I hope she stays reformed. I mean, look at Luna. Now she’s all righty-tighty because of the EoH, so my theory is that Shimmer shares a similar change-of-heart.
Itsthinking
Princess Ember - Derpi Supporter
Diamond -
Perfect Pony Plot Provider - Uploader of 10+ images with 350 upvotes or more (Questionable/Explicit)
An Artist Who Rocks - 100+ images under their artist tag
Friendship, Art, and Magic (2017) - Celebrated Derpibooru's five year anniversary with friends.
Silver Supporter -
Happy Derpy! -

🅱
@LyteBryte  
She’s stuck in the human world for at least thirty more moons.

Also, under the crown’s power, she actually made it her goal to kill Twilight (well, depending on which cut you got though the original line is clearly animated as “die” and not “dealt with”) rather than “defeat” her.
sentinel28a

Or she’s a sociopath who cannot understand what friendship is. Everything’s a nail when you’re a hammer. Luna was corrupted; she wasn’t inherently evil. Discord created chaos because he found it fun (and out of revenge against Celestia); he was more just, well, chaotic than evil.

Shimmer was prepared, as Itsthinking said, to murder Twilight and use an enslaved army of teenagers to assault Equestria–which likely would’ve forced Celestia/Luna/the Royal Guards to use lethal violence to defend the realm. She’s probably a throwaway villain, but she may be the closest MLP has come to a genuinely psychotic one.

Not to worry, though. Given all the destruction Shimmer caused, she’ll likely be arrested, convicted of several counts of attempted murder/terrorism, and then put in an asylum for the rest of her life. Good luck convincing the FBI that you’re really a sentient pony from another realm and that a magical crown made you blow up a school, Sunset Shimmer.
Don't
Lunar Supporter - Helped forge New Lunar Republic's freedom in the face of the Solar Empire's oppressive tyrannical regime (April Fools 2023).
Thread Starter - One Piece Thread

Get up and Jump
She was Blueblood Old Marefirend. But he dumbed her when she got pregnant, she was so angry she quit working for celestia and sold her child to some derp pegasus, and thus dinky was born
ЅℰℒᎯℙℋℐℰℒ
Solar Supporter - Fought against the New Lunar Republic rebellion on the side of the Solar Deity (April Fools 2023).
Twinkling Balloon - Took part in the 2021 community collab.
My Little Pony - 1992 Edition
Friendship, Art, and Magic (2020) - Took part in the 2020 Community Collab
Wallet After Summer Sale -
Friendship, Art, and Magic (2019) - Celebrated Derpibooru's seventh year anniversary with friends

Pomegranates :P
@sentinel28a  
>Shimmer was prepared, as Itsthinking said, to murder Twilight and use an enslaved army of teenagers to assault Equestria—which likely would’ve forced Celestia/Luna/the Royal Guards to use lethal violence to defend the realm. She’s probably a throwaway villain, but she may be the closest MLP has come to a genuinely psychotic one.  
………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………….  
That would’ve been an FMA:Conqueror of Shambala scenario.

>Not to worry, though. Given all the destruction Shimmer caused, she’ll likely be arrested, convicted of several counts of attempted murder/terrorism, and then put in an asylum for the rest of her life. Good luck convincing the FBI that you’re really a sentient pony from another realm and that a magical crown made you blow up a school, Sunset Shimmer.  
…………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………..  
Exactly my thought when i saw the ending. She might not get into any real troubles, as the “Authorities” probably don’t exist in their version of Murica. In a world where no Pony/Human gives a sh- about attempted murder, collateral damage, and terrorism.
Background Pony #9D70
Apparently there’s an upcoming 8 page comic about her background as Celestia’s student so hopefully it will clear things up about her,
ЅℰℒᎯℙℋℐℰℒ
Solar Supporter - Fought against the New Lunar Republic rebellion on the side of the Solar Deity (April Fools 2023).
Twinkling Balloon - Took part in the 2021 community collab.
My Little Pony - 1992 Edition
Friendship, Art, and Magic (2020) - Took part in the 2020 Community Collab
Wallet After Summer Sale -
Friendship, Art, and Magic (2019) - Celebrated Derpibooru's seventh year anniversary with friends

Pomegranates :P
Maybe

Sunset Shimmer had a rather rough fillyhood before studying magic. She originally studied magic for recognition and honor, but things didn’t turn out the way she wanted….and you know the rest…  
Sunset Satan was just a cruel alter ego of Sunset that grew with her frustration, greed , and resentment and became embodied when Sunset wore the crown. When she was defeated by the “Hair 6”’s Rainbow light, the evil was purged.

Sort of like Marik Ishtar.
Interested in advertising on Derpibooru? Click here for information!
Sky Railroad Merch Shop!

Help fund the $15 daily operational cost of Derpibooru - support us financially!

Syntax quick reference: **bold** *italic* ||hide text|| `code` __underline__ ~~strike~~ ^sup^ %sub%

Detailed syntax guide