Unpopular opinion time

Philweasel
Equality - In our state, we do not stand out.

Right About Everything
@AC97  
Honestly I feel it’s kinda the product of Starlight’s ego. Where as Discord seems to consider his defeat as somewhat of a fluke, Starlight seems to have figured that if the Mane 6 can decisively beat her twice, the Mane 6 must be awesome.

Despite the fact that she sasses Twilight all the time and often doesn’t seem to like her that much, she gets VERY offended when Twilight is disrespected, or Twilight passively rolls over for the ideals of others. Starlight probably respects Twilight more than anyone else on the show, because if she doesn’t, she got beaten by a scrub.

There’s also the fact that she’s not stupid. Twilight and her friends are the single most powerful force the good guys have. Starlight adds very little to that, and so the logical choice was clearly to be the distraction.
DanielTepesKraus
Greatest Poster in the Board -
GREEN - TALK TO ME
Roseluck - Had their OC in the 2023 Derpibooru Collab.
Elements of Harmony - Had an OC in the 2022 Community Collab
Twinkling Balloon - Took part in the 2021 community collab.
Friendship, Art, and Magic (2020) - Took part in the 2020 Community Collab
My Little Pony - 1992 Edition
Wallet After Summer Sale -
Friendship, Art, and Magic (2019) - Celebrated Derpibooru's seventh year anniversary with friends
Equality - Was more equal than the rest of the people during the event and did the only smart thing: wasn't there :^)

will return
i’m back too lol. had a little unexpected and unavoidable absence lol.

@AC97  
@Philweasel  
it doesn’t help either that villain suelight and “good” suelight might as well be different characters. completely different motivations, completely different values, completely different personality. she didn’t change or develop, just kind of metamorphosed like a butterfly of fail.
Philweasel

Right About Everything
@DanielTepesKraus  
I’ve already debated that a thousand times. If you just want to chat, be open about it.

Anyway, my comment outright contradicted that. Starlight’s still somewhat of a vengeful fundamentalist, it’s just now her religion is friendship, and her prophet is Twilight (by dint of repeatedly demonstrating that she’s much stronger and more successful than Starlight).

You put way too much stock in ideology, and far too little in motivation. Starlight’s motivations were routed in a desire for control over her life, friends who wouldn’t leave her, and personal validation. She… kinda got all those things by the end of season six (which notably was when her personality stabilized dramatically). And her desire for control still screws her over like… every single episode she stars in.
DanielTepesKraus
GREEN - TALK TO ME
Friendship, Art, and Magic (2019) - Celebrated Derpibooru's seventh year anniversary with friends
Equality - Was more equal than the rest of the people during the event and did the only smart thing: wasn't there :^)

will return
@EotD  
how ya doing

@Philweasel  
she went from a calculating, violent, intelligent abuser to a dense submissive codependent idiot. honestly the only thing that stayed constant about her is her complete inability to care at all about the well-being of others when it comes to getting what she wants, but that’s a trait that applies to about 99% of the main cast

@EotD  
is that real or am i having a bad reaction to the antimalarials again?
DanielTepesKraus
GREEN - TALK TO ME

will return
@EotD  
same, more or less. got real bad insomnia right now.

and those synopses are fucking weird. it’s like what i’d write if i had no clue what my little pony was but was told to write a parody of it
Philweasel

Right About Everything
@DanielTepesKraus  
Well, as you said no one in this franchise is particular 1. Intelligent 2. Moral 3. Sane.

And I debate how intelligent Starlight was as a villain. She was smarter than some, but she was very obviously a bad guy, she made a huge misstep trusting Fluttershy, and a large part of her plan depended on her beating the Mane 6 in a fight. That level of intelligence has remained relatively consistent, with her plans being decent but shot down by overconfidence in her abilities and a lack of an ability to read people.

And you obviously missed the tag line of the show. My Little Pony, Co-dependence With Twilight Sparkle Is Magic. Fixing yourself more firmly between her buttcheeks is considered character development in this show.

…and honestly Starlight is one of the least co-dependent characters in the cast. She can actually accomplish things by herself and contradict the All Mighty Purple One, even if she understands that Twilight is the boss for a reason and good things come to those who surround her.
Background Pony #2959
I never liked the New Lunar Republic craze the fandom went through or how it kept touting Luna as being right for turning into Nightmare Moon.
AC97
Lunar Supporter - Helped forge New Lunar Republic's freedom in the face of the Solar Empire's oppressive tyrannical regime (April Fools 2023).
Non-Fungible Trixie -

@Philweasel

Discord, unlike Starlight, is kinda bad at knowing when being defeated kind of isn’t a fluke. He’s lost four times because he underestimated others, in four different ways.

Really, that aspect of her friendship with Twilight is why it was rather interesting to see, that she’s perfectly fine with being snarky with her, but she certainly cares about her, is intensely loyal to her.

In contrast to Discord, and to a lesser extent Trixie (nobody mentioned are in the same dimension as Chrysalis, or Tirek, because unlike them, all of the aforementioned characters can admit they’ve fucked up [Tirek in the sense of “my brother betrayed me,” and to a lesser extent “I lost because they’re annoyingly lucky,” though he’s more of a sociopath if anything]), she doesn’t have being outright narcissistic to hold her back.
AC97
Lunar Supporter - Helped forge New Lunar Republic's freedom in the face of the Solar Empire's oppressive tyrannical regime (April Fools 2023).
Non-Fungible Trixie -

I never liked the New Lunar Republic craze the fandom went through or how it kept touting Luna as being right for turning into Nightmare Moon.

…oh yeah, that thing, where people also blamed Celestia for Luna turning evil.

Yeah, it was kinda stupid overall, tbh.
LightningBolt
Umbrella - For Patreon supporters
Lightning Dee - Derpi Supporter
Pixel Perfection - I still call her Lightning Bolt
Silly Pony - Celebrated the 13th anniversary of MLP:FIM, and 40 years of MLP!
Shimmering Smile - Celebrated the 10th anniversary of Equestria Girls!
Lunar Hero - Went above and beyond in the name of Lunar freedom, they will be remembered in legends and folklore as paragons of heroism for generations (April Fools 2023).
Flower Trio - Helped others get their OC into the 2023 Derpibooru Collab.
Chaotic Little Trees - 1000+ images under their artist tag
King Sombra - Celebrated the 10th anniversary of The Crystal Empire!

Senior Moderator
Undead inside
Truthfully I’d much rather Pony Life be entirely disconnected from FiM in terms of characters, not because of canon, I really don’t care about canon, but because it would be nice to see new (or just different) characters for once, and especially different toys.

Alas, just yet more main six, when they could have been clever and creative and made all new ponies, or pick other ponies from before to focus on.

What a waste.
Latecomer

@DanielTepesKraus  
ever heard of “av uour throat or at uour feet”? her having different dominant and submissive modes wouldn’t be so odd. i do wish she’d have kept some of her equalist pilosophu and distrust of cutie marks, though.

@LightningBolt  
buv the Mane 6 are recognisable even in shorthand stile. I doubt Pony life will be deep enough to build much viewer attachment to new characters.
AC97
Non-Fungible Trixie -

@The Equestrian Zodiac

(In hindsight, I misworded it a bit… I made the mistake of saying “it’s Celestia’s fault Luna turned evil,” when, y’know, “Luna did nothing wrong” commonly accompanies NLR as a concept)
DarkObsidian
Non-Fungible Trixie -
Ten years of changes - Celebrated the 10th anniversary of MLP:FiM!
Economist -

Smiling Panzerfuchs 2.0
Well, on the French NLR website you can see all MLP episodes in French. Simply one of the most beautiful and melodic languages in the world. Unfortunately no subtitles, so I prefer to watch MLP in French on Netflix. And no, just don’t look at it in German. It’s not worth it at all. ;-)
hellscrossing
Artist -

Hell's Crossing
I didn’t even realize how much everyone seems to hate Cadence before I got back into ponies.. I love her, she’s my favorite princess. pvp I love her big sister personality and how pretty her design is and her empire is super cool
hellscrossing
Artist -

Hell's Crossing
@LightningBolt  
I’ve seen a lot of replies here talking about it, and in a Discord server I’m in I’ve also seen a bit of anti-Cadence mindset. I think it’s because she was the first new alicorn, but she’s so cool!!
LightningBolt
Umbrella - For Patreon supporters
Lightning Dee - Derpi Supporter
Pixel Perfection - I still call her Lightning Bolt
Silly Pony - Celebrated the 13th anniversary of MLP:FIM, and 40 years of MLP!
Shimmering Smile - Celebrated the 10th anniversary of Equestria Girls!
Lunar Hero - Went above and beyond in the name of Lunar freedom, they will be remembered in legends and folklore as paragons of heroism for generations (April Fools 2023).
Flower Trio - Helped others get their OC into the 2023 Derpibooru Collab.
Chaotic Little Trees - 1000+ images under their artist tag
King Sombra - Celebrated the 10th anniversary of The Crystal Empire!

Senior Moderator
Undead inside
@hellscrossing  
Shame, tho I do remember some scorn against her and her husband back when they were first revealed just because of the “omg a new alicorn and twilight has a brother!” drama.
Interested in advertising on Derpibooru? Click here for information!
Champions of Equestria

Help fund the $15 daily operational cost of Derpibooru - support us financially!

Syntax quick reference: **bold** *italic* ||hide text|| `code` __underline__ ~~strike~~ ^sup^ %sub%

Detailed syntax guide