Unpopular opinion time

CronoM

@Myoozik
I’m pretty sure in a lowkey show like MLP, being as divisive as Starlight was, was never a good sign.
Sorry but I’m with Sethisto on this one. Her divisiveness is no big mystery, her “far from well written” aspects were bigger and more pronounced then many others.
Kiryu-Chan
Solar Supporter - Fought against the New Lunar Republic rebellion on the side of the Solar Deity (April Fools 2023).
Non-Fungible Trixie -
My Little Pony - 1992 Edition
Wallet After Summer Sale -

World's Okayest User
Starlight’s problems in S6 was a multitude of problems with S6 itself. The season did both too much and not enough with Starlight, she felt disjointed with the rest of the main cast by barely having her interact with them, and the few times she did was completely detrimental to everyone involved. Despite not being as involved in the wider scheme the season also set her up as the most important part of the season by making her the protagonist/hero in both the premiere and finale. Didn’t really help that nobody really benefitted from S6 except for Spike
Pretty much most of my problems with Starlight were mostly fixed in S7, which gave her a lot more focus but she felt better integrated into that season than she was in S6. And personally I still think they should have switched around S6 and S7’s finales
TheFinite
Lunar Supporter - Helped forge New Lunar Republic's freedom in the face of the Solar Empire's oppressive tyrannical regime (April Fools 2023).
Wallet After Summer Sale -

Shiny Bug
@CronoM
But, as I said, punishment for the sake of punishment is pointless. The point of punishment is to change behavior through negative reinforcement, and she did change. Besides, if you’d like, I could go through all the times the mane 6 did bad stuff and didn’t receive any punishment for it. You can’t just say “plot armor” and call it a day when it’s something that is not unique to Starlight whatsoever.
CronoM

@TheFinite
“But, as I said, punishment for the sake of punishment is pointless”
What on earth are you talking about?
Punishment for the sake of punishment is the whole point of punishment so as to acknoledge the issue to all parties involved and to teach people that their actions have consequences.
Its why Sunset was treated like dirt by most of the school in the months inbetween EG1 and EG2. Her actions had consequences so it would take a very, very long time for her prove to the majority that she was completely reformed, despite her ongoing anger management issues.
“A slap on the wrist” is the derogatory expression for punishments so light, that they often never learn from it in the long term even if they feel bad about it for a brief moment.
“she did change”
Did she though? Even other Starlight fans in the comment section prior acknowledge she constantly ignored the severity of her own mistakes even by the end of the episode. All the other characters actually face what they did fully by the end. (The one RD ep where she sabotaged the weather for Tank was an exception, but tbf it didn’t seem like it had a full script. The characters were treating hibernation like death, that episode’s plot and narrative was COMPLETELY detatched)
“Besides, if you’d like, I could go through all the times the mane 6 did bad stuff and didn’t receive any punishment for it.”
Sure, but you’d find higher ratio and greater narrative favoritism for Starlight.
The only exception might be, (drumbeat please)….
…old Twiggles herself, the first purple smart. Who was the primary Creator’s Pet for the longest time and EVERYONE knows it. I think in terms of narrative favoritism, Twilight even has Starlight beat. But I think the writers played the TV Trope ‘Karma Houdini’ for Starlight more then anyone…anyone that COULD be punished that is. Discord had his own set of issues.
Step 1: Publically betray every person in Equestia while teaming up with Tirek
Step 2: Give Celestia some roses after the situation is over
Step 3: ???
Step 4: Profit
Like I said before, sometimes I think the writers were high as a kite when writing.
CronoM

Starlight’s problems in S6 was a multitude of problems with S6 itself. The season did both too much and not enough with Starlight, she felt disjointed with the rest of the main cast by barely having her interact with them, and the few times she did was completely detrimental to everyone involved.
No argument here
And personally I still think they should have switched around S6 and S7’s finales
That along with a few other touch ups here and there might have helped.
Mr.Myoozik
StarTrix Forever! - Derpi Supporter
Pixel Perfection - I still call her Lightning Bolt
Silly Pony - Celebrated the 13th anniversary of MLP:FIM, and 40 years of MLP!
Shimmering Smile - Celebrated the 10th anniversary of Equestria Girls!
Solar Hero - Went above and beyond for the Solar Deity, drawing from the power of the sun itself to bring balance to the fight against the Lunar Insurrection (April Fools 2023).
Flower Trio - Helped others get their OC into the 2023 Derpibooru Collab.
Roseluck - Had their OC in the 2023 Derpibooru Collab.
King Sombra - Celebrated the 10th anniversary of The Crystal Empire!
A Lovely Nightmare Night - Celebrated the 12th anniversary of MLP:FIM!
Princess of Love - Extra special version for those who participated in the Canterlot Wedding 10th anniversary event by contributing art.

Music Connoisseur
@Kiryu-Chan
I don’t know, I feel like they did very little with her in Season 6, not very much. If they wanted to integrate her into the mane cast, might as well have her participate in more roles for a better leadup to the finale, which is still a fantastic season finale. Season 7 though yeah was a lot kinder to her which thank God for that.
Ebalosus
Lunar Supporter - Helped forge New Lunar Republic's freedom in the face of the Solar Empire's oppressive tyrannical regime (April Fools 2023).
Silver Bit -
Sapphire -
Happy Derpy! -
Bronze Supporter -
The End wasn't The End - Found a new home after the great exodus of 2012

Build commie blocks!
TBF the problems with Starlight in season 6 (which I by-and-large agree with) are issues that began back in season 5. Namely, she was set up to be a sort-of recurring villain…which didn’t go anywhere as she only (officially, no word yet on her background appearance in Amending Fences) appeared again in the season finale, where she was redeemed.
I mean, if they were going to redeem her at the end of season 5, they could’ve at least had a few episodes in between to flesh her out, as it would’ve meant that they could’ve avoided the issues with her integration in season 6.
Ring Team
Ten years of changes - Celebrated the 10th anniversary of MLP:FiM!
A Really Classy Artist - 250+ images under their artist tag
An Artist Who Rocks - 100+ images under their artist tag
Artist -

I think the ending of Cutie Remark shows that the creative decisions related to Starlight, her backstory, her dialogue and her episodes were rushed. I’m pretty sure they can do much better than “my friend moved away”, especially considering the fact that they had 7 months in between Cutie Map and Remark.
And, after seeing that many of her episodes are about manipulating anyone even after being reformed, I think it could have been just a scheduling and pipeline problem. That would explain some rushed conclusions and many creative desicions.
If the new writers are making two different TV shows of G5, I hope the writers don’t have another pipeline problem.
Ring Team
Artist -

The ratings for the show during Starlight centric seasons were not great.
By some chance, do you have some data, information or graphs about these ratings from 2010 to 2019? I’ve been looking for this a couple of months ago, but I haven’t found anything.
CronoM

@CronoM
By some chance, do you have some data, information or graphs about these ratings from 2010 to 2019? I’ve been looking for this a couple of months ago, but I haven’t found anything.
Yes and no. I’ve posted this info in the past with several websites showing the clear difference, but oddly enough in the past year or so it became tougher to find rating and viewership information online, even though normally it wouldn’t be hard to find.
Rating information used to be super easy to come across, but like you said, you couldn’t find it either.
CronoM

I think the ending of Cutie Remark shows that the creative decisions related to Starlight, her backstory, her dialogue and her episodes were rushed. I’m pretty sure they can do much better than “my friend moved away”, especially considering the fact that they had 7 months in between Cutie Map and Remark.
And, after seeing that many of her episodes are about manipulating anyone even after being reformed, I think it could have been just a scheduling and pipeline problem. That would explain some rushed conclusions and many creative desicions.
If the new writers are making two different TV shows of G5, I hope the writers don’t have another pipeline problem.
Agreed. MLP:FiM had a good template, but as you said they didn’t know what they were doing. Like the right hand wasnt talking to the left hand sort of deal.
I’m worried G5 might be even worse off, with even the template being made of very split decisions. Time will tell of course, so here’s hoping its not a disaster.
Ring Team
Artist -

@CronoM
The movie A New Generation has a neat start from scratch, with very few references from G4 that don’t interfiere in the narrative of G5.
I’m one of those who think the Mane 6 as toys were very well handled. I like the fact that the Mane 6 are Sunny’s toys that represented a beautiful idea of what friendship was in the past, just as many fans look at MLP:FiM as something that represented a beautiful idea of what friendship was in the past. I really love that detail.
I think the fact that they have two shows implies that one is gonna be focused on comedy and the other one will have all the cool ideas related to adventures, myth, lore and character arcs.
Cosmas-the-Explorer
Solar Supporter - Fought against the New Lunar Republic rebellion on the side of the Solar Deity (April Fools 2023).
Non-Fungible Trixie -
Notoriously Divine Tagger - Consistently uploads images above and beyond the minimum tag requirements. And/or additionally, bringing over the original description from the source if the image has one. Does NOT apply to the uploader adding several to a dozen tags after originally uploading with minimum to bare tagging.

Explorer in Training
>>2841157p (deleted)
(I’m just using this image to compare styles.)
As someone who liked Tell Your Tale, I actually prefer the animation of Pony Life to Tell Your Tale.
I think it’s because it’s better proportioned especially the legs.
Even the bean mouths work well with Pony Life unlike the ones in TYT which seem a bit out of place perhaps because it’s a more normal pony shape.
Sparx
Non-Fungible Trixie -

#115 Wassup Voltage!
Too many Ocs that claim to ‘appreciate’ Luna’s night just to stand out as Luna fans.
Solar Empire vs Luna Republic (AKA Celestia vs Luna) fan wars were dumb as hell.
Aside from some characters I never really got the overall appeal of Equestria Girls.
CORDZ2000
Solar Hero - Went above and beyond for the Solar Deity, drawing from the power of the sun itself to bring balance to the fight against the Lunar Insurrection (April Fools 2023).

Draconequues Lover zcord
I feel like even if u don’t like discords reformation either way he’s still fun as long as u dont take him too seriously if u don’t like it, hes entertaining like he reminds me of eggman from the sonic movie.
Interested in advertising on Derpibooru? Click here for information!
Ministry of Image - Fanfiction Printing

Help fund the $15 daily operational cost of Derpibooru - support us financially!

Syntax quick reference: **bold** *italic* ||hide text|| `code` __underline__ ~~strike~~ ^sup^ %sub%

Detailed syntax guide