Unpopular opinion time

Background Pony #AEC9
@Olpert  
Hey, I tried. I tried as much as my patience would possibly allow to move on from the subject.  
But there’s only so many passive-aggressive swipes that I can read through before I feel compelled to respond. And I don’t appreciate being profiled by someone who is so clearly wrong about me. And it’s extremely evident that he’s the only one on his side at this point in that regard.

And for that, I apologize to you and anyone else that uses this thread to vent their unpopular opinions regarding the show that you had to see any of this utterly pointless and evidently fruitless topic.
Background Pony #AEC9
@Kirb  
I think I can safely say about what I liked in regards to Anthology V was the skit that reintroduced me to the amusing “True Facts about X animal” series of videos.  
Some of the original animations were pretty impressive.

SFM ponies still look uncanny valley and EQG versions doubly so.
ColdhardSilver
Thread Starter - Cartoon/Western Animation General

Culture Vulture
@Olpert  
“I don’t think anyone genuinely likes Aryanne.”  
Of course there are those who do. She’s kinda like the pony form of those nazi exploitation movies like Ilsa, She-wolf of the SS.
Kirb
Magical Inkwell - Wrote MLP fanfiction consisting of at least around 1.5k words, and has a verified link to the platform of their choice
Thread Starter - Stranded (Anthro/NSFW)
An Artist Who Rocks - 100+ images under their artist tag
Artist -

Wow, this flamewar is STILL going on in an unrelated thread. And meanwhile, some pretty reply-worthy opinions are lost in the process. I’m disappointed in this thread :|

@ColdhardSilver  
Someone should make an Ilsa/MLP crossover where Starlight is Ilsa. Then again, I’ve only seen that movie because of the Cinema Snob.

@Background Pony #7CD9  
Yeah, so far it’s mostly referencing anime, songs and video games that I don’t watch/listen to/play, and not really expanding on them much. I mean, I don’t mind just referencing stuff as long as it’s changed or built on in some way (e.g. the Gravity Falls thing where that guy kills Seabreeze, that was great)  
Too many times do people in these brony videos just reference something and expect everyone to get it, while not really building on it in any way. Like “Hey, a Dragon Ball reference. That exists.” It’s like in those dumb Friedberg and Seltzer parodies, they can’t just be satisfied spoofing one thing, they feel a need to spoof everything (e.g. spoofing Jersey Shore in a Twilight spoof.)
Olpert

@Kirb  
I get what you’re saying. A quote that I can’t quite place anymore but has inspired my writing style quite a bit is “References aren’t comedy. They’re references.”

Now, taking a reference and using it in a new, fitting fashion can be comedy. For example, my all time favourite bit in the Anthologies is the one where Tank slowly smiling is overlayed with the audio of this campaing ad for Herman Cain.  
I realize that’s a super obscure reference that I’m sure barely anyone got, but I had to pause the video for about two minutes due to laughing super hard and being unable to stop.
Ebalosus
Lunar Supporter - Helped forge New Lunar Republic's freedom in the face of the Solar Empire's oppressive tyrannical regime (April Fools 2023).
Silver Bit -
Sapphire -
Happy Derpy! -
Bronze Supporter -
The End wasn't The End - Found a new home after the great exodus of 2012

Build commie blocks!
Unpopular opinion time, anyway. Discord isn’t really all that. DeLancie is great, but discord? Ehhhhh.
This. I will admit that my ambivalence towards him is because of my ambivalence towards Q, even if a Q-esque character makes more sense within MLP than within Star Trek. Side note: I tend to hate do-anything characters since they tend to break narrative tension. Take it away Bobby the Tongue

@TexasUberAlles  
I still don’t really care for Return Of Harmony; Discord and his schemes just seemed way too… well, cheap is the word again. He started off playing mindgames, but the only one that was actually effective was with Rainbow Dash— he straight up cheated with all the rest of them, and Fluttershy’s was the worst. It undercut the character way too much, and made him seem less like a proper God of Chaos than a garden variety dick with God Mode turned on. I say his best and most tricksterish turn was in Princess Twilight Sparkle, where he had the perfect balance of ROH’s dickishness and KCAFO’s prankstery silliness; he was genuinely trying to help Twilight grow as a person, just in the most obnoxious way possible, and that is the very essence of a Cosmic Trickster.
Glad I’m not the only one whom doesn’t think too highly of RoH. To me, RoH is better than FiM, but that’s due to RoH being FiM____ in terms of writing and structure. Your comment “It undercut the character way too much, and made him seem less like a proper God of Chaos than a garden variety dick with God Mode turned on” is pretty much why I detest do-anything characters like him. Don’t get me wrong, I don’t have a problem with non-euclidean threats, but if they’re not handled properly, then you get what you said: A garden variety dick with god mode turned on.

This is why I don’t consider Discord a villain per se, but more of a foil for the characters, hence why I feel that he works better in character pieces like Three’s a Crowd or Make New Friends but Keep Discord.
Background Pony #AEC9
@Kirb  
To be fair, this thread has become pretty toxic to “reply-worthy opinions” and was relatively slow on the discussion end of things in recent days.

Also Anthology is about as show-related as a PMV or fanfiction, so you might not get as many replies as one might expect in the show-discussion forum.  
Overall though, as I said from what I was able to sit through- Anthology V seems to be a string of “I understood that reference” or “WTF am I watching” and not really a whole lot of actually entertaining content.
Random-Rambling
Pixel Perfection - Hot Pockets Spotted
Solar Supporter - Fought against the New Lunar Republic rebellion on the side of the Solar Deity (April Fools 2023).
Non-Fungible Trixie -
My Little Pony - 1992 Edition
Wallet After Summer Sale -
Not a Llama - Happy April Fools Day!

tinyurl.com/dymbb3a
@Kirb
I get what you’re saying. A quote that I can’t quite place anymore but has inspired my writing style quite a bit is “References aren’t comedy. They’re references.”

Which is a large part of why Double Rainboom was such a flop.
Kirb
Magical Inkwell - Wrote MLP fanfiction consisting of at least around 1.5k words, and has a verified link to the platform of their choice
Artist -

@Background Pony #7CD9  
Well, I’ve posted opinions about fanfictions here before, as have other people. But I see what you’re saying.

Yeah. So much of it was just saying “Hey, that’s a thing that exists, funny right?” instead of taking that reference and building on it. There were a few times I laughed though, and to be fair, I’m only around halfway done with it–why are these things so damn long, anyway?

I just felt like the other ones were funnier, or even when they weren’t funny, they looked like they had a fuckton of effort put into them. Like the 2001: A Space Odyssey shot-by-shot recreation at the end of II. Maybe this one has something like that at the end of it too. I mean, III ended with another Kubrick reference, so maybe this will throw in a Clockwork Orange recreation or something.

On another note, did I miss something? Because I feel like I missed PONIES The Anthology IV, as I’ve seen III but it seemed to skip right past it to V.
ColdhardSilver

Culture Vulture
@Olpert  
“References aren’t comedy. They’re references.”  
I agree with the idea, but not the connection to Nazi Pone. It’s not just “lol she a nazzy” it’s “she’s has nazi ideals, german, is in the MLP world” and of course all the material that steam from having her ideals and being put against other ponies like Starlight and Zecora; same with bat ponies, stayrs, etc.
Jarkes
Elements of Harmony - Had an OC in the 2022 Community Collab
Twinkling Balloon - Took part in the 2021 community collab.
Friendship, Art, and Magic (2018) - Celebrated Derpibooru's six year anniversary with friends.
Friendship, Art, and Magic (2017) - Celebrated Derpibooru's five year anniversary with friends.
Thread Starter - Transformers Thread

GOKAAAAI... SILVER!
@Kirb

They didn’t really do a full “Ponies the Anthology IV”; IV was basically just a short little video because for a number of reasons, they couldn’t get enough content for a full one.
Kirb
Artist -

@Jarkes  
Oh. Well, no wonder I didn’t remember it–most of these are actually really long, and would require sitting down for about an hour to watch them.
Olpert

@ColdhardSilver  
Kirb’s right, I misquoted, but I’ll go ahead and respond to you now.  
I meant that as in liking the character herself. Being an outspoken, extreme racist isn’t some minor character flaw you can just overlook and say “Oh, what a scamp” about.  
As I said, the concept is kind of interesting, it just hasn’t gone anywhere.
ColdhardSilver

Culture Vulture
@Olpert  
@Kirb  
Glad we got that cleared up.

As for a rapscallion racist character, I don’t have any hang ups about it. Travis Touchdown is a pervert, weeaboo, and delusional murderer and people love him, Balalaika is a psychotic crime boss and people waifu her, and in the context of racism as a character trait there is an earth shattering large number of them used in different degrees and presented in different lightings so I have no reason to have a beef with a tongue-in-cheek, dark comedy nazi pony.
Lord WyrmSpawN
Solar Supporter - Fought against the New Lunar Republic rebellion on the side of the Solar Deity (April Fools 2023).
Non-Fungible Trixie -
Thread Starter - MLP G5 Discussion and Speculation Thread
Friendship, Art, and Magic (2019) - Celebrated Derpibooru's seventh year anniversary with friends.
Friendship, Art, and Magic (2018) - Celebrated Derpibooru's six year anniversary with friends.
Friendship, Art, and Magic (2017) - Celebrated Derpibooru's five year anniversary with friends.

Lingering Wyvern
I can actually see something good in the persona of Flash as described in >>952081, as a kind of Gary CoolGuy poseur than an actual cool guy. Never have cottoned to Flash as a whole, but it certainly drains my ire more than being a thinly painted over Shining Armor.

Even though this personality type only strengthens my desire to ship him with Dash, of all ponies, the posiest of the pony poseurs.

And I’m detecting some whiffs of reverse entitlement about some Flash fans/defenders, if such a concept exists.
Lord WyrmSpawN
Non-Fungible Trixie -
Thread Starter - MLP G5 Discussion and Speculation Thread
Friendship, Art, and Magic (2019) - Celebrated Derpibooru's seventh year anniversary with friends.

Lingering Wyvern
@ice1517  
Perhaps not the right word for it, but I get the feeling some of them have this feeling people should like Flash for being there, or otherwise say nothing about him, not bothering to cite any merit he might have. Like there’s some kind of obligation to respect him because he’s there.

The worst example of which is when people call Flash-distasters hypocrites for liking and making up stuff for the legions of background ponies and not him, ignoring that that is done because they want to, not because the creator gave us half-baked characters for big and equally obligatory roles and thought “Eh, they’ll figure something out”.
ColdhardSilver

Culture Vulture
@ice1517  
He’s fine. He doesn’t do anything of offence, but unlike other secondary characters he doesn’t have enough defined mannerism or characteristics.  
You what scenes I like Flash in? Whenever he was chewing out Trixie. Him being nice guy, but cocky and blunt when it comes to competition could work real well especially if he gets into more spats with Trixie.
ColdhardSilver

Culture Vulture
@ice1517  
Of course, but as my main points are “enough”.  
It’s a good starting point but before we can really call his personality or mannerism he has to do it consistently.  
And guess what? The next EQG is about sports and competition, it a perfect set up if that’s what the writers want to go with his characterization.
Jarkes
Elements of Harmony - Had an OC in the 2022 Community Collab
Twinkling Balloon - Took part in the 2021 community collab.
Thread Starter - Transformers Thread

GOKAAAAI... SILVER!
@ColdhardSilver

@ice1517

Well, he WAS being corrupted by the Sirens in most of those scenes like the rest of Canterlot High, but they could easily make it so getting super-competitive actually is a normal part of his personality and the Sirens just heightened it.

I also would’ve loved it if Larson had kept the scene in Slice of Life where pony!Flash would’ve been chased by an angry mob and asked Cranky, “Why does everypony seem to hate me? I haven’t even DONE anything!”
Interested in advertising on Derpibooru? Click here for information!
Techy Cutie Pony Collection!

Help fund the $15 daily operational cost of Derpibooru - support us financially!

Syntax quick reference: **bold** *italic* ||hide text|| `code` __underline__ ~~strike~~ ^sup^ %sub%

Detailed syntax guide