Unpopular opinion time

Background Pony #1289
@Wiimeiser  
“No Second Prances”, if you count both continuity errors and OoC. From recent episodes, it’s “Daring Doubt”.
Sanagi 蛹
My Little Pony - 1992 Edition
Wallet After Summer Sale -
Equality - In our state, we do not stand out.
Not a Llama - Happy April Fools Day!

Derpy is endearing and relatable for like first 4 seasons. Then only endearing from sesson 5.

It’s basically overrated from there onwards. With more characters that are more relatable and pleasing, it’s not justifiable nowadays for holding her character as my favourite anymore. IMHO.
Vinylshadow
Lunar Supporter - Helped forge New Lunar Republic's freedom in the face of the Solar Empire's oppressive tyrannical regime (April Fools 2023).
Preenhub - We all know what you were up to this evening~
Friendship, Art, and Magic (2020) - Took part in the 2020 Community Collab
Wallet After Summer Sale -

Megalomaniacal toaster
@Sanagi 蛹  
She’s relatable for people who have been forced into a harder life through some form of disability

Just ask anyone with cancer, diabetes, blindness, deafness, amputees, war veterans…
AC97
Lunar Supporter - Helped forge New Lunar Republic's freedom in the face of the Solar Empire's oppressive tyrannical regime (April Fools 2023).
Non-Fungible Trixie -

@Latecomer

If I had to guess, the “errors” were with Trixie and Twilight… when nothing about it really was an error?

Again, self-aggrandizing “apology,” and Trixie walked in talking like she was rubbing something in Twilight’s face (which it turned out she was doing exactly that, might I add, so Twilight was right), with this smile on her face.

full

And then she doesn’t help her case afterwards. Would you trust that face? I wouldn’t, Twilight didn’t.

My unpopular opinion is that I find Twilight’s viewpoint in that episode sympathetic. No, she wasn’t perfect, but then, that wasn’t the point of the episode, anyone being perfect.

Yeah, I believe Trixie indeed got over her envy-induced “rivalry,” regarding Twilight, and vice-versa, judging from how they were 100% civil in S8, but it cannot be expressed enough how much it was her fault.
Latecomer

@AC97  
I do think there is a bit of a disconnect between Twilight’s attitude to Trixie in each ep - but that’s not so odd as the magician even being allowed back in town in the first place.
Philweasel

Right About Everything
@AC97  
I find everyone in that episode sympathetic, though Trixie was the least.

The main charge against Twilight was she should know better, where as the other two are walking personality disorders and it can only be expected. But then I liked that, because Twilight had been becoming increasingly boring for several seasons with her perfect princessness.
Latecomer

@Philweasel  
I guess the problem is that up till now the Twi/Trixe relationship was one where Trixie took it personally and Twilight really didn’t. Her suddenly having a grudge was a little odd.

(Perhaps it has to do with someone who sounded a lot like her locking her under a stage and interrupting her kiss?)
Philweasel

Right About Everything
@Latecomer  
I consider it more overprotectiveness of Starlight than a grudge against Trixie, personally. Twilight doesn’t like rude people (as demonstrated with Discord) but you’re right that she would never antagonise them. And… she doesn’t. Twilight tries her absolute best to be polite to Trixie, and only loses her temper towards the end of the episode.

Twilight trying to warn Starlight off Trixie wasn’t so much a grudge as her being a bit of a control freak, which certainly isn’t unusual for Twilight. It’s not antagonism, it’s trying to keep a pony that Twilight doesn’t trust out of her business.

…she still goes about it in a really awkward way, is rather condescending towards Starlight, and it is uncharitable to Trixie. Still Twilight doesn’t really owe Trixie anything, least of all permission to interfere with a particular important project for her.
Latecomer

@Philweasel  
I guess the writing didn’t reflect that enough for everyone, then. It certainly seemed like she suddenly had a grudge.

(I wonder if Confalone watched Boast Busters and Magic Duel before writing?)
Badumsquish
Generic Messy Hair Anime Anon - Seen and done more than you can imagine
Kalianne - Derpi Supporter
Pixel Perfection - I still call her Lightning Bolt
Silly Pony - Celebrated the 13th anniversary of MLP:FIM, and 40 years of MLP!
Shimmering Smile - Celebrated the 10th anniversary of Equestria Girls!
Flower Trio - Helped others get their OC into the 2023 Derpibooru Collab.
Roseluck - Had their OC in the 2023 Derpibooru Collab.
King Sombra - Celebrated the 12th anniversary of MLP:FIM!
A Lovely Nightmare Night - Celebrated the 12th anniversary of MLP:FIM!

ᗡ: 📶 📡
@AC97  
What irked me about NSP was the same thing that irked me about the end of The Cutie Remark. Twilight made an entirely biased decision based entirely on her sympathy/grudge with a character, and the show justified it since she happened, by sheer stroke of luck, to be right. The show wouldn’t have been able to justify either decision had she happened to be wrong about those two characters. It would be like if Discord’s Grogar stunt happened to actually succeed in reforming the Legion of Doom and everyone praised Discord for his “heroic and genius scheme”, or if the cops just decided to kick your door in and search your house at random, happened to find something illegal, and claimed their action was justified because “well it turned out you were a criminal” :P
Philweasel

Right About Everything
@Badumsquish  
Well it’s not really ‘sheer stroke of luck’. Thinking that Trixie might be up to some ego slathered scheme to get one over Twilight isn’t exactly a giant leap of logic, since more than half of her previous interaction with the mare has her doing exactly that. Not to mention her grand entrance into that very episode was… somewhat portentous. Trixie was practically cackling.
Latecomer

@Badumsquish  
You could probably say the roots of this go back to Canterlot Wedding, ,which i think (I admit I can’t be bothered to check the leaks right now, so this is old rumor) started out being about her unfairly suspecting her brother’s new fiancee, before they made her actually be a villain in order to make a two-parter of it. (And the capstone was making Twilight’s distrust justified based on prior knowledge of Cadance, ensuring she didn’t learn anything.)
Badumsquish
Generic Messy Hair Anime Anon - Seen and done more than you can imagine
Kalianne - Derpi Supporter
Pixel Perfection - I still call her Lightning Bolt
Silly Pony - Celebrated the 13th anniversary of MLP:FIM, and 40 years of MLP!
Shimmering Smile - Celebrated the 10th anniversary of Equestria Girls!
Flower Trio - Helped others get their OC into the 2023 Derpibooru Collab.
Roseluck - Had their OC in the 2023 Derpibooru Collab.
King Sombra - Celebrated the 12th anniversary of MLP:FIM!
A Lovely Nightmare Night - Celebrated the 12th anniversary of MLP:FIM!

ᗡ: 📶 📡
@Philweasel  
That’s where I take issue with her bias. If Twilight was to assume guilt on Trixie’s part based on their previous interactions and the mare’s personality, that’s fine. Thing is then she shouldn’t have been so quick to forgive, trust, and take at face-value the motive rant and apology from a woman defined by her deceptive and manipulative nature who had committed atrocities; rather, she should have assumed the likelihood the woman was lying, trying to manipulate her, and treated her as such. She has a very selective bias, and one that’s only been right due to sheer dumb luck, and thus her actions can’t be considered moral since those exact same actions would be amoral if they happened to be wrong by sheer dumb luck :P

@Latecomer  
Oh god yeah the wedding episode was a massive case of that. Easily the most blatant in the entire series. In that episode, whether or not it was right or wrong to act on one’s instincts was based purely on if they happened to be right by sheer luck. Like, I honestly got the vibe Princess Celestia was just trying to save face :P
Philweasel

Right About Everything
@Latecomer  
I’m sorry, but most of Twilight’s suspicions could be more accurately labelled as ‘not being a moron’. Despite claims of her being overly forgiving, Twilight’s one of the few cast members not to be easily taken in by obvious villains. Celestia could learn a thing or two from her.
Philweasel

Right About Everything
@Philweasel
Thing is then she shouldn’t have been so quick to forgive, trust, and take at face-value the motive rant and apology from a woman defined by her deceptive and manipulative nature who had committed atrocities; rather, she should have assumed the likelihood the woman was lying, trying to manipulate her, and treated her as such. She has a very selective bias, and one that’s only been right due to sheer dumb luck, and thus her actions can’t be considered moral since those exact same actions would be amoral if they happened to be wrong by sheer dumb luck :P

Starlight is manipulative, but she’s a terrible liar. Her little ‘heh heh’ that she does whenever she’s nervous is proof that she should never play poker. Couple that with her emotional incontinence, and Starlight’s rather easy to see through.

…and Twilight DIDN’T trust Starlight. She trusted Starlight less than Trixie. Because Trixie was allowed to run free, where Starlight’s freedom was strictly conditional with learning friendship, placed where Twilight could watch her directly.
Latecomer

@Badumsquish  
She did see Starlight’s inciting incident with her own eyes - and there may also have been an “excited outburst exception”. Yes, Starlight had lied before, but not during her rants. Still, it was a pretty weak redemption.

(The wedding ep could probably have been improved by the real Cadance being a stranger Twilight learns to trust during their escape.)

@Philweasel  
But as said, is there much to it besides luck and villains being laughably bad actors?
Interested in advertising on Derpibooru? Click here for information!
The Travelling Pony Museum Shop!

Help fund the $15 daily operational cost of Derpibooru - support us financially!

Syntax quick reference: **bold** *italic* ||hide text|| `code` __underline__ ~~strike~~ ^sup^ %sub%

Detailed syntax guide