Unpopular opinion time

AC97
Lunar Supporter - Helped forge New Lunar Republic's freedom in the face of the Solar Empire's oppressive tyrannical regime (April Fools 2023).
Non-Fungible Trixie -
My Little Pony - 1992 Edition

I think the most underrated magic user in the show is Sweetie Belle, considering the things she’s done (that’s not “cartoon physics” in that scene, it’s Accelero) in the last few seasons, that seem good for her age, let alone for ponies in general. I’d imagine she’d be quite comfortably adept in her adult years, quite probably better than her sister.

(it is canon she’s practiced magic under Twilight’s tutelage…)

@Star Seeker  
@Vivace
It’s hard to resist once in a while, unfortunately.
At least it can be amusing in hindsight. except when it gets ridiculous

lol, yeah, it can be funny to reminisce, sometimes.

(but really, there might be a reason to question your approach sometimes, regarding debates, if they have a duck badge. Not saying it would necessarily get you nothing of value as a universal rule, regarding discussion, because everyone is different, but you should be kinda wary if you see one.)
Background Pony #6AF2
Princess Celestia has all the personality, Princess Luna has all the character development, and Princess Cadance has all the bad-assery. It’s like the three of them add up to the best character ever, Princess Celunadance FTW :D
So would that make the evil version of their combined form (Nightmare Heartbreaker? Night Breakdance? Total Eclipse of the Heart?) the best villain ever?
DarkObsidian
Non-Fungible Trixie -
Twinkling Balloon - Took part in the 2021 community collab.
Ten years of changes - Celebrated the 10th anniversary of MLP:FiM!
Economist -

Smiling Panzerfuchs 2.0
Sorry, had to work late today and because of the time difference I can only answer now. ;-D

@Badumsquish

Okay, the Star Wars joke was good and amusing. ;-) And it’s true what you say. It really would have been better if we had seen more victory through effort. Although, to be honest, in most of the premieres and finales of the show the little ponies were trying to solve the problem somehow. It just became downright ridiculous how often there was a MacGuffin that triggered the Instant Friendship Finishing Move.

Friendship Is Magic - Elements of Harmony  
The Return Of Harmony - Letters to Celestia (How did she even know to send them back to Twilight? Why has Celestia’s capacity for vision always been roughly hinted by the show?)  
A Canterlot Wedding - Cadance  
The Crystal Empire - The Crystal Heart  
Twilight’s Kingdom - Friendship Box  
Cutie Markless - Non waterproof paint  
The Crystalling - Thorax  
To Where And Back Again - Sunburst  
School Daze - Sandbar  
School Raze - Tree of Harmony

I don’t think I need to say anything about Season Nine.

Especially when another character just happened to be around to save the day, I always found that this made the actual effort look pretty very weak. Considering the short time of an episode, I can still get over it. But is there actually a logical reason why cartoon episodes are usually round about 21 minutes long? Or is it just too expensive if you have, well, 30 minutes per episode? Or is this still due to the focus on possible TV advertising?

@Latecomer

Somewhere between Power Ponies, Rarity Takes Manehattan and Testing, Testing, 1, 2, 3. So pretty much season 4. From then on, the show concentrated a little too much on its own already created world. And also became very careless about the use of modern technologies. But if we’re honest, it maybe already started with Wonderbolt’s Academy in season 3.

It’s not so much the weird mix that bothers me. On the contrary, I even found many things very charming, but at the beginning it all seemed more like an early industrial era around 1900. With season four, I think the balance between the mystical magical world and the introduction of modern technology was completely lost. Only with season 7 and the Pillars of Equestria the own mythology came back a little. And it was remarkable. Flash Magnus fights with dragons? Hell yeah! That would have been the show I was originally hoping for. ;-D

But don’t get me wrong. Of course I have always wished for a more consistent structure of the MLP world, but the focus is on all the characters, and I understand that very well. That’s why I have come to appreciate and love the show more and more over the years. Because the characters were not only the focus, but also the heart. It’s just a shame that the MLP world ended up being such a chaotic mess. But maybe that was also the reason for all the creativity that was generated in fandom. Who knows. ;-)

@WyrmSpawN

That does indeed sound promising. Are there any links to this? Anyway, I share your hope. :-D
GenericArchangel
Alicorn Squadron - For supporting the site
Pixel Perfection - I still call her Lightning Bolt
Solar Supporter - Fought against the New Lunar Republic rebellion on the side of the Solar Deity (April Fools 2023).
Princess of Love - Extra special version for those who participated in the Canterlot Wedding 10th anniversary event by contributing art.
Artist -
Elements of Harmony - Had an OC in the 2022 Community Collab
Non-Fungible Trixie -
Preenhub - We all know what you were up to this evening~
Bronze Supporter - Bronze Supporter

Free the Tantabus
@DarkObsidian  
I actually really liked the show when it was exploring the world it had built. World building is always fun, of course.

As to technology… [cracks knuckles]

It always stuck with Pre-War levels of technology, almost slavishly, and I admire the show’s ability to stick to its chronological setting. Never did it stray far from 1890-1910 in terms of feel and themes.
Background Pony #D361
@UserAccount
That’s the funny thing about the princesses. It’s not to say they’re each completely devoid of the other attributes, but Princess Celestia has all the personality, Princess Luna has all the character development, and Princess Cadance has all the bad-assery. It’s like the three of them add up to the best character ever, Princess Celunadance FTW :D

I like this anaylsis.
DarkObsidian
Non-Fungible Trixie -
Economist -

Smiling Panzerfuchs 2.0
@GenericArchangel

Well, even if I sound a bit nitpicking, but I already said that the show in the first seasons seemed to be more of a turn-of-the-century 1900 technology. To come around the corner now with pre-war technology, which means a leap of over 40 years, including in particular one of the most dramatic technological upheavals between the two world wars, is argumentatively already serious ammo. But okay, I’ll try to keep up.

Although many inventions were certainly made before 1945, I can’t imagine that Polaroid-like color photos in photo albums like those in Made in Manehatten would already exist at that time. Vinyl Scratch’s mixer from Testing 1, 2, 3? More like the 1990s. But could we argue that these are just Pinkie’s Fourth Wall Breakthrough abilities. Various uniforms of the Wonderbolts might also exist at the end of the Second World War, but in my opinion they were only worn in the 1950s to 1980s.

But two things in particular caught my eye. The laser show in The Mane Attraction? The big screens in Manehatten Pinkie Pie hijacked in Shadow Play - Part 2? Neither really pre-war technology. All the entertainment machines in Las Pegasus? In particular, the Dance Dance Revolution Machine in Grannie’s Gone Wild? The dance club in The Saddle Row Review? Although the Liquid packaging carton may have been invented as early as 1915, the spread of plastic drinking straws did not take place until the 1950s.

Probably there are many more things that could be found out now, but I already see my argument confirmed. But again, for the record. The mix itself does not bother me in any way. It’s more the careless lightheartedness that took place after season four. ;-)
DarkObsidian
Non-Fungible Trixie -
Economist -

Smiling Panzerfuchs 2.0
@Latecomer

You’re right. In principle, you have to make the world like that, because otherwise kids (that includes the child inside me) nowadays might not find it so interesting. Nevertheless, I sometimes wonder if the show then wouldn’t have had to do without the mystical, medieval look right from the start for the greater good.

full

Well, be that as it may. Personally, I find great joy above all in things that came from the fandom. Like Fallout Equestria, Equestria at War and of course the TF2: Analysis Series. I had many wonderful hours with the fandom. Sometimes I wonder if I became a Brony because of the show or the fans. Too bad I found Derpibooru so late in my life. (grin)
GenericArchangel
Alicorn Squadron - For supporting the site
Pixel Perfection - I still call her Lightning Bolt
Solar Supporter - Fought against the New Lunar Republic rebellion on the side of the Solar Deity (April Fools 2023).
Princess of Love - Extra special version for those who participated in the Canterlot Wedding 10th anniversary event by contributing art.
Artist -
Elements of Harmony - Had an OC in the 2022 Community Collab
Non-Fungible Trixie -
Preenhub - We all know what you were up to this evening~
Bronze Supporter - Bronze Supporter

Free the Tantabus
@DarkObsidian  
All of that is very valid, I will admit. But these are singular elements that I find can be forgiven in the setting, especially one where magic is itself treated as an advanced technology. Las Pegasus is more than easily explained as magic, or alternatively, in the lack of warfare as a stimulus for technological development, consumer electronics developed particularly rapidly.
DarkObsidian
Non-Fungible Trixie -
Economist -

Smiling Panzerfuchs 2.0
@GenericArchangel

Ah, sorry my friend, but I’m not letting you off that easily. ;-D

Of course I am aware that magic can explain a lot. I myself am a great friend of the “Magic is Electricity theory” and it works wonderfully for me. Actually more outside the show when it comes to fandom-created things, but never mind.

But Las Pegasus, of all places, is an absolute no-go for me. For it was never explained that this city was so advanced in any way. I accept many allusions to our world, such as in the behavior of the ponies in Stranger Than Fan Fiction, or Fame and Misfortune, but in the context of the previously introduced world, the technological innovations are about as coherent as Discord’s Fourth Wall Jokes. At least in my opinion. No offense. ;-)
Interested in advertising on Derpibooru? Click here for information!
Techy Cutie Pony Collection!

Help fund the $15 daily operational cost of Derpibooru - support us financially!

Syntax quick reference: **bold** *italic* ||hide text|| `code` __underline__ ~~strike~~ ^sup^ %sub%

Detailed syntax guide