Unpopular opinion time

AC97
Lunar Supporter - Helped forge New Lunar Republic's freedom in the face of the Solar Empire's oppressive tyrannical regime (April Fools 2023).
Non-Fungible Trixie -
My Little Pony - 1992 Edition

@Background Pony #6A14

if only… but maybe without the “Princess” epithet for a change, since I’m not sure Starlight being a Princess would be that natural for her as an outcome

@Philweasel

The lack of Luna in that season was probably due to the fact that she wasn’t exactly… planned from early on, isn’t it?

(And if only those types of discussions had easy accessibility… for posterity, perhaps, because it sounds kinda interesting)
Terminal Rex

Going Indognito mode..
I remember when we all thought Trixie was just a rung below Twilight in magic Talent. She had Twilights natural talent but not her training we thought. Better times.

At least she was starting to approach Starlight’s level thank to her training by the end of the show.
Philweasel
Equality - In our state, we do not stand out.

Right About Everything
@Latecomer  
Luna is in the Show Bible, which was before they had any actual episodes. At one point she was called Selene, but lawyers shook their heads at that. (Somewhat hilariously Princess Selene is a fairly famous Dominatrix)

I don’t think speculation was ever confirmed, but I heard some Hasbro executives worried she was ‘scary’. Notably it was a while until she got any toys either.

Once she was proven to be massively popular of course it didn’t take long for her to be written into season 2.
Philweasel

Right About Everything
@Latecomer  
You have two?

And I got it from “The Art of Equestria” Book. There’s concept art of Luna, which also refers to ‘The Queen’ (Celestia before she even had a name, also called that in Twilight’s concept art, and referred to as ‘Queen Majesty’ in her own). There’s also very early crayon drawings by Paul Rudish of Twilight fighting Nightmare Moon.

full

What is it with Luna and derpy headgear?

It’s rather useful how you can tell the stage in the design process by character names and models. If Celestia and Zecora don’t have names yet, or Twilight is Turkish (or sporting a pentangle if we’re really going into first drafts), it’s obviously pre-production.
Philweasel

Right About Everything
@Latecomer  
I have found the bible, and you are right. Luna ISN’T in it. (Trixie is though, for some reason, unnamed)

…they also use ‘Pegasis’ as a plural of Pegasus. That really bugs me for some reason.

But the bible isn’t a complete compellation of all the pre-production material. It wasn’t actually used for production at all apparently, it was only ever given to Hasbro executives to help sell the show to them.

Anyway, Luna predates it. I figure they simply backed off from including Luna, for the aforementioned ‘she’s scary and dark!’.

…holy shit. You know what’s really mind blowing, and that I’ve never noticed before? (and I’ve read the Bible several times)

…Bright Macintosh and Pear Butter are in it!  
full
Philweasel

Right About Everything
@Bluepenn15  
Well why waste a good design?

I find it amusing that the rejected design next to Luna’s final concept actually looks closer to what they eventually ended up going with post Season 1.
Philweasel

Right About Everything
@Bluepenn15  
Twilight was all over the place in terms of her colors and cutie mark, but always had that haircut. The others actually look surprisingly similar, Pinky, Spike and Rainbow Dash in particular didn’t change much from their very first conception (save for Pinkie briefly having wings). Fluttershy, Applejack and Rarity got a few haircuts, and Fluttershy was briefly an earth pony.

Speaking of reused designs, young Granny Smith with pigtails is a rejected Applejack design,  
rather appropriately.
AC97
Lunar Supporter - Helped forge New Lunar Republic's freedom in the face of the Solar Empire's oppressive tyrannical regime (April Fools 2023).
Non-Fungible Trixie -
My Little Pony - 1992 Edition

Now that I think about it, “A human that lands in Equestria is inherently immune to magic so they’re obviously a threat” is an idea that’s kinda silly. There’s so many indirect applications of magic or super strength that can easily incapacitate a human, that it’s kind of pointless. There’d be nothing to stop a sufficiently powerful magic user (or someone with super strength) from wacking you with a streetlight, or a tree trunk (or branch, if lightness is desired), or collapsing the ground around you, like if you’re on a bridge or some such, or the question of if a pegasus inducing a lightning strike would still count as “magic,” even if it started life being magically generated.

(there’s a lot scenarios where it’s kind of a moot point, not being able to be directly hit by magic, and I didn’t even get into “projectile weapons” that exist, or non-ponies)

@Philweasel

…they also use ‘Pegasis’ as a plural of Pegasus. That really bugs me for some reason.

Agreed.

Kinda interesting overall, that stuff, including how it wasn’t actually used for production.
Philweasel

Right About Everything
Agreed.
Kinda interesting overall, that stuff, including how it wasn’t actually used for production.

I think everyone who’s interested in the show should read it. It’s pretty interesting, professionally put together, and widely available online.

I’m hesitant to straight out link it as I’m not sure how legal it is (I really doubt Hasbro care, but just in case), but just search “My little pony show bible”.
Interested in advertising on Derpibooru? Click here for information!
My Little Ties crafts shop

Help fund the $15 daily operational cost of Derpibooru - support us financially!

Syntax quick reference: **bold** *italic* ||hide text|| `code` __underline__ ~~strike~~ ^sup^ %sub%

Detailed syntax guide