Unpopular opinion time

Background Pony #D244
Because i saw the video you were mentionning and was searching discussion about it here,sorry
Latecomer

@Brass Beau  
I dunno - there were a lot of totally character-free background ponies, and minor characters of the day… the villains may have got less depth than the heroes, but then ,they were around a lot less.
Brass Beau

Howdy from Shimmer Pope
@Latecomer  
Hm. Let’s clarify then.

Background character: No dialogue or episode focus.  
One-off character: Only appeared in one episode. Cameos don’t count.  
Minor character: Had a plot relevant role in more than one episode. Only interacts with one main or secondary character.  
Tertiary character: Been plot relevant in multiple episodes. Interacted with more than one main or secondary character.  
Secondary character: Had several episodes focused on them but isn’t a main character.  
Main character: The central protagonists of the series.

Using these definitions, the major villains would be categorized as tertiary characters. I would say that more one-off and minor characters have demonstrated more depth than the major villains.
DarkObsidian
Non-Fungible Trixie -
Twinkling Balloon - Took part in the 2021 community collab.
Ten years of changes - Celebrated the 10th anniversary of MLP:FiM!
My Little Pony - 1992 Edition
Economist -

Smiling Panzerfuchs 2.0
@Brass Beau

Quite debatable. The show has just been undermining its own formula for villains all the time. But the influence of the villains on the fandom is undeniable. This is proven by the sheer number of artworks, music and fanfics. A project like Equestria at War (an excellent Hearts of Iron IV mod with lots of show-inspired lore) would hardly have been realized if the fandom had rejected them.

What was (rightly) criticized was whether it was really necessary to reform many villains. In my opinion, Hasbro didn’t do itself any favor in outsourcing the backgrounds of the villains to the comics, only to explain that they are non-canon. I mean seriously: WTF?

From a purely economic point of view, I have never understood the agenda of toy manufacturers such as Hasbro or Mattel, who have spent a lot of money on the fact that writers and illustrators took the effort to create background stories and lore, and also to produce relatively high-quality products such as comicbooks, only to be able to say afterwards: It’s trash pointless anyway.

At least the fandom was so creative to give the villains the respect that I think they deserve. And please don’t get me wrong. If I get a little upset now, it’s not because of you, it’s because of my lack of understanding with those responsible for this mess. ;-)
Brass Beau

Howdy from Shimmer Pope
@DarkObsidian  
From a stand point of aesthetics and potential, yes, the villains are ripe for fandom love. Unfortunately, going only based on what is presented in the show, they’re rather dull. Most of them are evil for no reason other than a lust for power and lack any backstory to explain that drive. And their influence is barely felt on the world outside of the episodes they appear in. But that’s just how I remember the show. I might be forgetting an episode or two that characterized them as something more.
Latecomer

@Brass Beau  
I think for fans, potential might sometimes be more important than what kinds of evil that can be fleshed out on a show of this rating. (Sombra is probably the prime example of this.)
DarkObsidian
Non-Fungible Trixie -
Economist -

Smiling Panzerfuchs 2.0
Unfortunately, going only based on what is presented in the show, they’re rather dull. Most of them are evil for no reason other than a lust for power and lack any backstory to explain that drive.

This is not the first time I’ve heard this. My question is: How complex should the villains in your opinion be written in a family-friendly cartoon? If you consider that for most villains only one or two episodes are available for character, plot and defeat, I find it understandable that usually only quite trivial motives come out.

And even if we like to forget it sometimes, in MLP there is still a certain cartoon logic. The villains are so stupid or one-sided characterized, because it also makes the protagonists look better and makes it easier to defeat them. That’s not the “guilt” of the villains, is it? ;-)

And their influence is barely felt on the world outside of the episodes they appear in.

Well, I think we all agree that MLP has barely managed to handle its own lore in all these years. Villains and also later important characters like Shining Armor appear almost always out of nowhere, at least we have never heard of them before and even things that are mentioned simply remain without any further explanation such as Saddle-Arabia or the origin of the Crystal Empire. I would put the influence or even a lasting impression of the villains on the world of Equestria at the very bottom of a list of problems of the show. ;-)
Don't
Lunar Supporter - Helped forge New Lunar Republic's freedom in the face of the Solar Empire's oppressive tyrannical regime (April Fools 2023).
Thread Starter - One Piece Thread

Get up and Jump
I kinda wish we had Sombra or Chrysalis loyalists instead of everyone accepting the Equestrian sponsored coups
Latecomer

@DarkObsidian  
Wouldn’t the protagonists look even better deafeating competent villains, though?

@Don’t  
There were Chrysalis ones, or at least unchanged changelings - they were just handled offscreen. (Pharynx seemed more like a Hive loyalist. I do have some headcanon regarding what happened to the actual loyalists, but it’s not prerty - Chrysalis doesn’t seem the type to trust after betrayal.)

As for Sombra, he never seemed to have followers per se, just slaves - and leaned more and more into mind controleach time we saw him, so he could have been a one-man show. If not… well, once again, what happened was probably a bit nasty for the show. Sombra himself mostly stood on the other side of the ratings line poking his head in.
DarkObsidian
Non-Fungible Trixie -
Economist -

Smiling Panzerfuchs 2.0
@Latecomer

Oh, I personally agree with you. I have tried to argue from the point of view of most producers. But maybe I should’ve held back with that statement. Because it reveals a general problem of the show. What to do if the fandom is much older than the actual primary audience? Do you then change the format of the show or do you try to make it equally entertaining for everyone?

Personally, I think MLP G4 has tried to make the most of the situation, so I can forgive or ignore many things that may have been handled more “mature” in other shows. The rather simple characterization of the villains is just another compromise for me. ;-)
RogueBadnik
Lunar Supporter - Helped forge New Lunar Republic's freedom in the face of the Solar Empire's oppressive tyrannical regime (April Fools 2023).
Non-Fungible Trixie -
Wallet After Summer Sale -
Not a Llama - Happy April Fools Day!

⌜Ω⌟
@Latecomer  
The unchanged changelings/rebels was a huge wasted potential for a full episode. Really wanted more of those episodes that are placed simultaneously with another episode, like Games Pony Plays and Just For Sidekicks.
RogueBadnik
Non-Fungible Trixie -
Wallet After Summer Sale -
Not a Llama - Happy April Fools Day!

⌜Ω⌟
@Latecomer  
Well, I have never seen a 9 or 10 ten year old caring, realizing or noticing the deep story of the Joker or the complex meaning of his madness for example. They just like to watch his goofy antics and getting beated by the Batman.
DarkObsidian
Non-Fungible Trixie -
Economist -

Smiling Panzerfuchs 2.0
@Latecomer

I don’t think it’s about being boring. It’s anyway a personal question of taste, what is interesting and competent at all. I think the MLP Villains are actually not so bad within the limits of the show. They were as harmless as they were entertaining. ;-)
Interested in advertising on Derpibooru? Click here for information!
KilianKuro Commissions!

Help fund the $15 daily operational cost of Derpibooru - support us financially!

Syntax quick reference: **bold** *italic* ||hide text|| `code` __underline__ ~~strike~~ ^sup^ %sub%

Detailed syntax guide