Unpopular opinion time

Brass Beau

Howdy from Shimmer Pope
@Dex Stewart  
Same thing to a certain extent. Not unlike his inspiration. I definitely like the “mentor Twilight” that we got later on. It felt like a natural and logical progression after working to overcome her own flaws.
Algebroot Neogears
Lunar Supporter - Helped forge New Lunar Republic's freedom in the face of the Solar Empire's oppressive tyrannical regime (April Fools 2023).
Non-Fungible Trixie -
Preenhub - We all know what you were up to this evening~
My Little Pony - 1992 Edition
Friendship, Art, and Magic (2020) - Took part in the 2020 Community Collab
Wallet After Summer Sale -

Sci-fi & Dragons
Mary Sues are characters whose social traits are completely flanderized, right?

Because that’s how I feel about what Twilight Sparkle has almost become in later seasons. Near the end of the show, it has reached the point where only a few episodes show proof it’s not her only character trait.
Dex Stewart
Silly Pony - Celebrated the 13th anniversary of MLP:FIM, and 40 years of MLP!
Shimmering Smile - Celebrated the 10th anniversary of Equestria Girls!
Solar Supporter - Fought against the New Lunar Republic rebellion on the side of the Solar Deity (April Fools 2023).
Roseluck - Had their OC in the 2023 Derpibooru Collab.
King Sombra - Celebrated the 10th anniversary of The Crystal Empire!
A Lovely Nightmare Night - Celebrated the 12th anniversary of MLP:FIM!
Princess of Love - Extra special version for those who participated in the Canterlot Wedding 10th anniversary event by contributing art.
Elements of Harmony - Had an OC in the 2022 Community Collab
Non-Fungible Trixie -
Twinkling Balloon - Took part in the 2021 community collab.

Ecto-Phase,Activate!
@Myoozik  
I immediately thought of Timmy from Secret of Nimh 2.  
full  
He’s perfect,no one ever shuts up about how perfect he is,and he saves the day. And he drove his brother crazy but that was his own fault because Timmy is perfect.  
I don’t think Twilight is quite a Mary Sue. She doubts herself too much.
Jaredking779
Solar Supporter - Fought against the New Lunar Republic rebellion on the side of the Solar Deity (April Fools 2023).
Elements of Harmony - Had an OC in the 2022 Community Collab
Ten years of changes - Celebrated the 10th anniversary of MLP:FiM!
Artist -

The MLP Lover-Fan
Raspberry Beret has the best beret out of all the ponies in the show. I’m just glad her beret has been very popular with fans.
Don't
Lunar Supporter - Helped forge New Lunar Republic's freedom in the face of the Solar Empire's oppressive tyrannical regime (April Fools 2023).
Thread Starter - One Piece Thread

Get up and Jump
I wonder how the writer of that HP fanfic feels about her character used like this all over the internet
Sadrai

The word Mary Sue gets used to much that it kind of lost meaning when people use it hell I once saw a reviewer say Snails was a Gary Stu because he was good in the buckball episode!
Applepie1973

Nostalgia Purist
@Myoozik
I immediately thought of Timmy from Secret of Nimh 2.
full
He’s perfect,no one ever shuts up about how perfect he is,and he saves the day. And he drove his brother crazy but that was his own fault because Timmy is perfect.
I don’t think Twilight is quite a Mary Sue. She doubts herself too much.

Right Said
Algebroot Neogears
Non-Fungible Trixie -
Preenhub - We all know what you were up to this evening~
Friendship, Art, and Magic (2020) - Took part in the 2020 Community Collab
Wallet After Summer Sale -

Sci-fi & Dragons
The later the seasons of the Friendship is Magic, the more I have grown tired of the show over time so, by Season 9, I have never watched any episodes of the entire show properly more than once.

I am currently more interested in any material (both pony and non-pony) other than FiM, because it kind of overstayed its welcome.
Sadrai

@Myoozik  
That was because I made that thread because of a review I watched which is dumb since Snails before buckball was known to make mistakes so saying he was a Gary Stu Because he was so perfect in the buckball episode was dumb.
AC97
Non-Fungible Trixie -

@Myoozik

A trait I found notably not stereotypically MSish about Starlight is how ponies weren’t universally praising her magic, between NSP (Big Mac Incident, Mrs. Cake with her magically made cake), ELTSD, ARP, Uncommon Bond (Sunburst got on her case regarding “pretending to be foals”), and A Matter of Principals (where she scared the students by making it look like she killed Discord right in front of them, and she had to commit awkward reassurance).

You’d generally expect the opposite with a few of those instances, notably with Mrs. Cake, unless they were supposed to be completely unsympathetic.

@Sadrai

I generally try to use that term for fanfics (albeit not universally), and even then, not all that commonly, unless it’s egregiously bad in terms of “high prominence and/or broken abilities just doesn’t make sense and quite possibly overshadowing other characters without good reason.”

An aspect of its overuse is everyone has their own personal definition, that you’ll notice typically includes traits… practically any main character has.
Mr.Myoozik
StarTrix Forever! - Derpi Supporter
Solar Hero - Went above and beyond for the Solar Deity, drawing from the power of the sun itself to bring balance to the fight against the Lunar Insurrection (April Fools 2023).
Flower Trio - Helped others get their OC into the 2023 Derpibooru Collab.
Princess of Love - Extra special version for those who participated in the Canterlot Wedding 10th anniversary event by contributing art.
Tree of Harmony - Drew someone's OC for the 2022 Community Collab

Music Connoisseur
@Sadrai  
Oh yeah now I remember.

@AC97  
It isn’t much her getting praised in-universe that she gets called an MS, it’s more for her extremely powerful magical abilities that can match Alicorn Magic despite her being a typical unicorn.
Philweasel
Equality - In our state, we do not stand out.

Right About Everything
@Myoozik  
That’s not what a Mary Sue is though. It’s not their abilities that make them a Mary Sue, it’s their effect on the plot. The original Mary Sue didn’t have any unusual powers at all, she was just all consumingly awesome and beloved.

Twilight occasionally slips towards there, because people won’t stop talking her up and she’s often inexplicably important to the plot, considering she’s totally useless or actively unhelpful half the time.

Not to mention there’s numerous characters more powerful than Starlight, some of whom are ponies like her. Tempest Shadow, Sombra, Starswirl and possibly Rainbow Dash are all likely far more powerful than her. Hell, I might add Pinkie to that list.
Mr.Myoozik
StarTrix Forever! - Derpi Supporter
Solar Hero - Went above and beyond for the Solar Deity, drawing from the power of the sun itself to bring balance to the fight against the Lunar Insurrection (April Fools 2023).
Flower Trio - Helped others get their OC into the 2023 Derpibooru Collab.
Tree of Harmony - Drew someone's OC for the 2022 Community Collab

Music Connoisseur
@Philweasel  
I don’t know, I’ve always heard that strong power abilities, approval rating in universe, having no visible flaws and overtaking the plot most of the time was what makes a Mary Sue. Regardless, I was never a fan of that term since it can get misused to mean anything like character one doesn’t like and such.
Interested in advertising on Derpibooru? Click here for information!
Pony Arts & Prints!

Help fund the $15 daily operational cost of Derpibooru - support us financially!

Syntax quick reference: **bold** *italic* ||hide text|| `code` __underline__ ~~strike~~ ^sup^ %sub%

Detailed syntax guide