Unpopular opinion time

DerpyFast
Solar Supporter - Fought against the New Lunar Republic rebellion on the side of the Solar Deity (April Fools 2023).
Non-Fungible Trixie -
My Little Pony - 1992 Edition
Wallet After Summer Sale -
Friendship, Art, and Magic (2018) - Celebrated Derpibooru's six year anniversary with friends.

@Just Wayne
That segues into another unpopular opinion:
The “buy our toys” meme is fans trying to save face after making a religion out of a glorified toy commercial. Because I remember a time when we were upset Hasbro wouldn’t sell us a show-accurate Celestia toy.
@Mikey
You could argue that Hasbro wasn’t ambitious enough. They could have made a figure or playset out of basically every Season One episode, and I sometimes wonder if the show would be looked on as fondly if they had. It probably still would, because it took until Season 3 for the fandom to decide there was something wrong with a toy company trying to sell toys.
Latecomer

@DerpyFast
It certainly adds a bit of insult to injury that a glorified toy commercial didn’t even advertise toys right. (Although to be fair, it’s more likely the show would be twisted to fit the toyline than the other way round, so perhaps we should be grateful for what we got.)
Posted Report
Cosmas-the-Explorer
Solar Supporter - Fought against the New Lunar Republic rebellion on the side of the Solar Deity (April Fools 2023).
Non-Fungible Trixie -
Notoriously Divine Tagger - Consistently uploads images above and beyond the minimum tag requirements. And/or additionally, bringing over the original description from the source if the image has one. Does NOT apply to the uploader adding several to a dozen tags after originally uploading with minimum to bare tagging.

Explorer in Training
Sometimes I wonder if toymakers are not ambitious enough. Look at how much pride goes into Transformers. Or Monster High. Things that take skill and creativity.
Kids deserve to have that high quality stuff.
Posted Report
Mr.Myoozik
StarTrix Forever! - Derpi Supporter
Silly Pony - Celebrated the 13th anniversary of MLP:FIM, and 40 years of MLP!
Shimmering Smile - Celebrated the 10th anniversary of Equestria Girls!
Solar Hero - Went above and beyond for the Solar Deity, drawing from the power of the sun itself to bring balance to the fight against the Lunar Insurrection (April Fools 2023).
Flower Trio - Helped others get their OC into the 2023 Derpibooru Collab.
Roseluck - Had their OC in the 2023 Derpibooru Collab.
King Sombra - Celebrated the 10th anniversary of The Crystal Empire!
A Lovely Nightmare Night - Celebrated the 12th anniversary of MLP:FIM!
Princess of Love - Extra special version for those who participated in the Canterlot Wedding 10th anniversary event by contributing art.
Tree of Harmony - Drew someone's OC for the 2022 Community Collab

Music Connoisseur
@Just Wayne
They could’ve tried, they have an entire franchise based off of overly complex robots with a ton of intricate parts and designs, I’m sure a little glass shaped building wouldn’t have been too difficult.
Posted Report
WaynePonePone
Fluttershy - For supporting the site
Happy Derpy! - For site supporters
Gold Supporter - Gold Supporter
Solar Guardian - Refused to surrender in the face of the Lunar rebellion and showed utmost loyalty to the Solar Empire (April Fools 2023).
Elements of Harmony - Had an OC in the 2022 Community Collab

Flutters Hitchy Glimglam
@Don’t
Stuff that is made to sell toys isn’t really automatically bad. There are so many works that are made to sell toys but they turn out to be really good media, like My Little Pony itself. Everything is made for moeny to begin with. Movies are made for box offices, books are made for sales, and TV shows are made for viewership. Everything is done for profits. Nothing is suddenly bad because it’s made for products. I mean everything is.
@Mr.Myoozik
Unfortunately, they didn’t try.
DoctorWTF
Non-Fungible Trixie -

@Just Wayne
The problem is when a company is so laser-focused on selling toys that they forget that a show can do that most effectively when people actually enjoy it. Just look at most everything between the first series and “Friendship is Magic”, or how a big chunk of G4 content (such as Rainbow Roadtrip) is not easily available through official sources.
Posted Report
DerpyFast
Non-Fungible Trixie -
My Little Pony - 1992 Edition
Wallet After Summer Sale -
Friendship, Art, and Magic (2018) - Celebrated Derpibooru's six year anniversary with friends.

Stuff that is made to sell toys isn’t really automatically bad. There are so many works that are made to sell toys but they turn out to be really good media, like My Little Pony itself.
I swear part of the show’s charm was watching them spin gold out of corporate mandates.
Posted Report
WaynePonePone
Happy Derpy! - For site supporters
Gold Supporter - Gold Supporter
Solar Guardian - Refused to surrender in the face of the Lunar rebellion and showed utmost loyalty to the Solar Empire (April Fools 2023).
Elements of Harmony - Had an OC in the 2022 Community Collab

Flutters Hitchy Glimglam
@DerpyFast
I just mean I’m glad they decided to give something of quality to something that’s only made to sell products because literally everything is done to make profits to begin with. They give meaning to something.
Posted Report
Background Pony #8C5C
@Just Wayne
I agree with you here.
Many companies, such as toy companies, need to make money for living, so they are easily able to fall into desperate mood for profit (with is a very unhealthy mood),
but Lauren Faust lacked that money-survival desperation mood that most CEO companies suffered (or take on themselves), and able to put her full creativity on full power, resulting into game changing phenomenon for entire MLP franchise.
The key of success Faust made, stems from “money isn’t everything and we don’t exist just to survive or be constantly hungry, if you want to make profit or to survive, think about what the audiences deserves first or what customers will enjoy first”, however, this took years for many people in Hasbro to realize, since they weren’t used to this sort of unexpected success before.
Background Pony #8C5C
@Phoenixflambe
If it wasn’t for Faust, G4 wouldn’t have been successful at all, we all know that.
If Hasbro were to boot G4 alone at that time, it would’ve been another bite in the dust, no money, no profit.
I suppose they’ve learned from Faust and her ultimate creation over the years, so the ultimate prodigy is Faust here, while Hasbro was only just being in the middle medium to provide TV (and sell toys) for us until Faust left.
Background Pony #4C59
@Background Pony #8C5C
It was more of a full team of writers and designers, but I get you.
The company itself is in charge of buying toys, which is not a bad thing. I guess it was something similar to what happened with G1 Transformers, they got a sudden success but around certain time the higher ups rules and constrains caused some issues for the writers, which resulted in lots of characters dying and being replaced around the movie which actually didn’t do as good as they expected. Now, no one in G4 died except villains and maybe some ponies of old age, but I noted that some elements based on toys were ocasionally added sometimes a bit forcefully as well as missing the potential of some past ideas, again, because a sudden success was probably something they were not fully ready like the first time.
Posted Report
DoctorWTF
Non-Fungible Trixie -

@DoctorWTF
Well, I never said they’re all smart sellers. Maybe Hasbro is promoting pirating.
Or just forgetting that money made from Blu-Ray discs and streaming licenses is just as valuable as money made from selling toys.
@Kiryu-Chan
Except for “Fame and Misfortune”, where the writer wanted to make it less hostile towards the fans but the execs demanded that it be written the way it is, refusing to compromise.
Posted Report
CORDZ2000
Solar Hero - Went above and beyond for the Solar Deity, drawing from the power of the sun itself to bring balance to the fight against the Lunar Insurrection (April Fools 2023).

Draconequues Lover zcord
Celestia is a great princess, she was keeping up Equestria for years on end when cadence and Luna weren’t around
Posted Report
Interested in advertising on Derpibooru? Click here for information!
KilianKuro Commissions!

Help fund the $15 daily operational cost of Derpibooru - support us financially!

Syntax quick reference: **bold** *italic* ||hide text|| `code` __underline__ ~~strike~~ ^sup^ %sub%

Detailed syntax guide