Why do I like this show?

Pony Discussion » Why do I like this show? Search Posts
Background Pony #5DD5
I am sure there is already another thread for this, but to be 100% honest I am too lazy to look for it and I also feel as though the fandom may be different today than it was a few years ago.
So, my question is this. Why in the hell do I like this show? I am a grown man, going on 20 years old, and I like a show for little girls about ponies. Do you know how weird that sounds? I literally have zero clue as to why I find this show appealing. Why do I want to make drawings and art of these characters? Why do I want to buy things about this franchise? It all doesn’t make sense to me. I have literally been sitting around pondering the answers to these questions and I just don’t get it. This show shouldn’t be something I enjoy… yet I do? I am so confused laddies and lasses. If anyone could possibly give me an explanation for this, I would greatly appreciate it.
I ask anyone who doesn’t have patience for this question to please be nice about this. I am literally going through an existential crisis about this.
Ciaran
ラ・ゼッタ - For supporting the site
Silly Pony - Celebrated the 13th anniversary of MLP:FIM, and 40 years of MLP!
Shimmering Smile - Celebrated the 10th anniversary of Equestria Girls!
Lunar Guardian - Earned a place among the ranks of the most loyal New Lunar Republic soldiers (April Fools 2023).
Crystal Roseluck - Had their OC in the 2023 Derpibooru Collab.
Flower Trio - Helped others get their OC into the 2023 Derpibooru Collab.
A Lovely Nightmare Night - Celebrated the 12th anniversary of MLP:FIM!
Princess of Love - Extra special version for those who participated in the Canterlot Wedding 10th anniversary event by contributing art.
Tree of Harmony - Drew someone's OC for the 2022 Community Collab
Elements of Harmony - Had an OC in the 2022 Community Collab

Senior Moderator
友情は魔法だ
@Background Pony #5DD5
Friendship, even fictional or virtual ones with cartoon characters or characters in a novel who you feel a genuine connection with, can significantly improve your health.
Loneliness is physically painful - social pain is as real and health threatening as a physical cut, because we are evolved to ‘fit in’ so we do not get evicted from social groups which our ancestors needed to survive and reproduce. Even though we no longer depend on those social structures, our bodies still respond as if we did.
Having friends, even fictional or online friends, can significantly improve your outcomes and your satisfaction and happiness.
2LDR: Friendship is magic. We have a biological need for it. In whatever format we can get it.
Even though it may seem silly or seem impossible, if the show works for you, it can be as beneficial, and have fewer side effects, as many commercially available anti-depressants.
It may not be a permanent fix though, so do check with a professional about making sure you’re ok if the show becomes ineffective for you at some point.
Because humans can become inured to anything, even happiness. And the benefits may wane over time.
I find one dose of pony twice a week still works for me though, even though I’ve been on the ride since 2010. The trick, I think, is to not lean on it too heavily, but to use it as a quick upper. Just like touching base with a friend once a week or so.
Ciaran
ラ・ゼッタ - For supporting the site
Silly Pony - Celebrated the 13th anniversary of MLP:FIM, and 40 years of MLP!
Shimmering Smile - Celebrated the 10th anniversary of Equestria Girls!
Lunar Guardian - Earned a place among the ranks of the most loyal New Lunar Republic soldiers (April Fools 2023).
Crystal Roseluck - Had their OC in the 2023 Derpibooru Collab.
Flower Trio - Helped others get their OC into the 2023 Derpibooru Collab.
A Lovely Nightmare Night - Celebrated the 12th anniversary of MLP:FIM!
Princess of Love - Extra special version for those who participated in the Canterlot Wedding 10th anniversary event by contributing art.
Tree of Harmony - Drew someone's OC for the 2022 Community Collab
Elements of Harmony - Had an OC in the 2022 Community Collab

Senior Moderator
友情は魔法だ
@Alpha527
It’s something that has been on my mind too, of late. So I kind of already had it there, waiting in the darkness for a use. In saying it, exposing it to the light of day, I now know what I think, too. So thank you for asking.
Interested in advertising on Derpibooru? Click here for information!
Ministry of Image - Fanfiction Printing

Help fund the $15 daily operational cost of Derpibooru - support us financially!

Syntax quick reference: **bold** *italic* ||hide text|| `code` __underline__ ~~strike~~ ^sup^ %sub%

Detailed syntax guide