64.71% 11 votes
Yes
35.29% 6 votes

Poll ended with 17 votes.

danmur15
Wallet After Summer Sale -
Artist -

Apple Horse Enthusiast
So this came up a few times recently and i thought it deserved a full forum post about it (or at least about my opinions on it)

In general I don’t like the “word of God” rule, especially when there’s more than one cook in the kitchen (like with MLP). At worst, you get a J.K. Rowling situation where pretty much everything gets retconned for the sake of being retconned.

It also pins down one singular idea as being canon. The show staff went to great lengths as far as I can tell to leave many parts of the end of the show ambiguous, most likely so that fan theories won’t get destroyed (although big rip to pinkie fans, idk what happened there)

A point that i have seen a lot lately when it comes to “word of god” is this image:  
full  
Personally, I don’t take that tweet as “word of God”.  
Legend of Everfree was the only EQG movie she was assistant director for, and she was only a storyboard artist for everything else. Hell, she only started working on the show after rainbow rocks. If sunset turned bi, it would have to be during LoE, which if my memory serves, doesn’t really make sense based on the story. You could argue that even as a storyboarder she has some credibility, but in the end she wasn’t the mind behind it and she did not choose what went into the final product.

A recent issue in regards to “word of god” was this twitter exchange with Big Jim:  
full  
this seems to be pretty definite proof that little cheese is a colt based on the “word of god” argument. However, Josh Haber replied later in the thread with this:  
full  
based on “word of god” they are both correct, except that they are contradicting themselves.

Id love to hear what other people have to say on this though, so imma just end it here.
Wiimeiser
Solar Supporter - Fought against the New Lunar Republic rebellion on the side of the Solar Deity (April Fools 2023).
Roseluck - Had their OC in the 2023 Derpibooru Collab.
Elements of Harmony - Had an OC in the 2022 Community Collab
Twinkling Balloon - Took part in the 2021 community collab.
My Little Pony - 1992 Edition
Friendship, Art, and Magic (2020) - Took part in the 2020 Community Collab
Dream Come True! - Participated in the MLP 9th Anniversary Event
A Tale For The Ages - Celebrated MLP's 35th Anniversary and FiM's 8th Anniversary
An Artist Who Rocks - 100+ images under their artist tag

(Foil Hat)
It’s probably all St. Paul, not God. No one could really be considered “God”, except Lauren Faust pre-Baby Cakes.
CatsTuxedo
A Really Classy Artist - 250+ images under their artist tag
An Artist Who Rocks - 100+ images under their artist tag
Artist -
The End wasn't The End - Found a new home after the great exodus of 2012

I say it’s a right to dismiss “Word of God” as anyone sees fit, especially if it’s Dumbledoring (Sunset) or just plain bullshit (Li’l Cheese).
Ebalosus
Lunar Supporter - Helped forge New Lunar Republic's freedom in the face of the Solar Empire's oppressive tyrannical regime (April Fools 2023).
Silver Bit -
Sapphire -
Happy Derpy! -
Bronze Supporter -

Build commie blocks!
@OldMangyMutt

Word of God shouldn’t applicable at all as far as I’m concerned. To quote Shamus Young:  
…I’m a big believer in the idea that the text is the text and everything outside the text is fanfic, even if it was written by me. If something isn’t explained well enough then making up shit later doesn’t fix that.
If it isn’t in the work, then at best it’s of very dubious canonicity, and at worst undermines the credibility of the storyteller(s). Hell, even Dan Harmon says that anything he says about Rick and Morty isn’t canon and is only his particular fan theory.
ArrJaySketch
My Little Pony - 1992 Edition
Thread Starter - Started a thread with over 100 pages
Birthday Cake - Celebrated MLP's 7th birthday
Artist -

I think “canon” is anything that is part of the official media, be it cartoons, comics, chapter books, etc. (Pony seems to operate on different continuities, though, because different media does a poor job of supporting other media, or it’s strikingly one-way. Blizzard does a remarkable job of keeping different media in line with other, most of the time.)

“Word of God” might clarify canon intent a bit, but stuff said outside the material kind of doesn’t matter. A screencap of Lauren Faust’s comments on DeviantArt about “Feeling Pinkie Keen” probably aren’t going to have much impact on a first-time viewer’s impression of the episode (for better or for worse).

Sort of like how I’ve read all of Harry Potter, I don’t really take Rowling’s comments too seriously. It doesn’t change what I’ve already taken away from the books.
Interested in advertising on Derpibooru? Click here for information!
Ministry of Image - Fanfiction Printing

Help fund the $15 daily operational cost of Derpibooru - support us financially!

Syntax quick reference: **bold** *italic* ||hide text|| `code` __underline__ ~~strike~~ ^sup^ %sub%

Detailed syntax guide