Suggestion and bullshitting thread(NSFW,hangout, rp suggestions, sheet posting, venting

Coriolanus
Wallet After Summer Sale -

[ link ]  
full

[ 🎶(Mass Effect 3 Soundtrack - An End Once and For All) ]  
full

@HatOfDisguise  
[ NSFW: Bright Flash ]  
full  
[ NSFW: Bright Flash ]

full  
full

And that’s how(Mass Effect 3: Control Ending) skavenkind will one day save the entire galaxy. 😔 [ || M4 Part II by Faunts(‘‘Mass Effect’’ Soundtrack - M4 Part II by Faunts) || ]

(oh gawd plz, I didn’t intend posting that irl mouse skeleton in a fusebox pic earlier in bad taste, I’m very sorry. 😰)
Coriolanus

Anyways, so, yeah.

In regard to making and directing a thread of my own, I guess taking a look into the Eclipse Phase thread shines a bit of inference on the kind of stuff I’d aim toward; the general themes being post-cyberpunk, conspiracy, and cosmic existential horror, with action seeded here and there (but not over-relied upon), and maybe even that “slice of life” thing (especially to contrast starkly at times with the horror parts. %:P%), all the while everything would be mostly anchored by hard scifi. (that thing peoples say about high tech marvels appearing indistinguishable to magic would end up applied and implied heavily in the most surrealistic cases)

So far, I think I’d have something solid to work on starting off with, by using parts of a pre-writ adventure kit contained in a PDF I found involving a far-flung research station located in the Kuiper Belt. Since the setting-location is by it’s very nature modular and self-contained, I’d like to think I could even make sectors of the space station tailored to participants’ characters, giving them good reasons to all be near together and eventually interacting with one another, as they wake up mysteriously from body vat-pods with no recollection of the past 2 weeks, just before shit hits the fan.

If I did this, while I’d welcome participants to use inspirations to generate their characters, and to even sculpt by themselves a bit of the starting environment around them, one thing though that I’m worried of, is those inspirations causing motivational vibes to gravitate into directly becoming them, i.e.; I don’t want it to become a System Shock/40k/Dead Space/Halo roleplay. I’d like that inspirations be used to fuel creativity, even as stylistic nods, but I wouldn’t want the inspirations directly plastered across everything, as the whole thing wouldn’t be just a crossover-mashup thread.  
(Those supersoldiers over there around Jupiter are not called “spartans”, though they could be volunteers of a program by the Jovian Republic military to create elite naval commandos capable of space-SEAL-stylized month-long-hibernative stealthy freefalls through empty space, despite this going directly against the faction’s firm stance on bio-conservatism. Those volunteers themselves could be genuinely believing that they’re giving up their humanity to better defend what’s left of it.)

As for the Equestrian connection though, well…

I talked with folks on Discord, including CobaltTheMadMage, on this idea, and the summary is; hypercorp-indentured ‘‘animal uplifts’’ that happen to look like miniature horses, used as a perfect genetically-tailored space workforce. (since they’re not human, they’re not officially protected by earthbound laws, though they’re usually promised colony citizenship to play a part in the economies they’ve helped build, after having spent a certain amount of time in complete servitude, usually 3-7 years.)

Anthropomorphic ponies would be a very rare occurrence. While it’d be possible for a “genetekker” to modify an equestrian’s body into an anthro-like form over the course of a week spent in a medical vat, the expected result is usually seen as arbitrary. Their quadrupedal form’s suction-cuplike hooves are efficient at gripping widespread seamless surfaces in zero-g, the ubiquitous cornucopia machines supplied and maintained by their hypercorps can fabricate just about anything fit to their ergonomics, and horseshoe-like universal nano-omnitool patents supplied by their bosses make for better-than-natural hands.  
(tho in-context their bosses will object to the transformation to keep them in line and focused with their obligations, once they complete their servitude to become citizens and find a skilled genetekker to fulfill their request, by all means they could decide to adopt an anthroform body, but from a “clade” standpoint it’s like selling out to humans because you believe their bodies are “better”. :P)

Lastly, in regard to helping tailor folks’ characters to the setting, I wanted add some interesting examples I thought of in this post, but it’s already getting preddy long as is. >_>

This isn’t all I’ve wanted to say, tho, and I might add those examples in a later post.
Boxless

stop using Derpi lmao
@Kratek  
The problem with the setting being ran here specifically, i think, lies in the fact that it’d be human-centric with side horse, which… is dubiously allowed last i checked.

Perhaps, in addition, an encounter with actual equines of the magical persuasion might be in order. After all, their solar system is inherently wack, so unless you’re of the persuasion that magnets delete magic and iron is anathema to them or of the persuasion that ponies cannot into tech (despite having presumably at least biohazard suits and thus a reason to use them to the point of at least one rump tattoo existing in the field), it’s possible.
Coriolanus

@Boxless  
That could become something to build conspiracy around tho, as disparities fuel strife between the “obtrusive” generations of purpose-built equines, and the jobless post-apocalypse refugees who had to leave their physical bodies behind on earth.

To add some spicey moral dilemma; since there’d be a break between the consciousness-transfer from earth to safe havens, one could come to a morbid conclusion that the refugees, surrounded on all sides by ravenous horrors, were literally sacrificing themselves in mass-suicides within the uploading centers, so that what’d be known presently as the disgruntled digital facsimiles would carry on their legacies. (& while known, folks tend to just not talk about that terrible existential truth)

The setting also hints that a relevant amount of those emulations were wracked by digital viruses, causing all sorts of corruption and afflicted insanity, which might be why some hypercorps will have opted to make the trusted and subservient equines from scratch as their literal workhorses, since the alternative is being dependent on someone, who…

well… <-<

They miiight just arbitrarily decide one day to kill everyone,  
as soon as they get their hands on hazardous jobs, such as involving their home habitat’s fission reactor controls.  
(This might also be why the setting is called “Eclipse Phase”, in which case, I think I’ve found a special plot element for shoehorning in indentured ponies.)

Speaking of mind-uploading,  
of which there’d be less subliminally-grimdark versions, that instead physically “bridge” a person’s consciousness with the body being “transferred” to, >_>

one of the setting’s purviews is separation of mind from body. There’d be alot more new species and “clades” wandering around than just humans and “ponies”, especially with eccentrics capable of creating (& becoming) those things.  
(some might “change” bodies to the point that it’s no different than trying on new clothes. Hmmm… “changelings”… 🤔)

Of those species and “clades” though, there’s the untampered humans themselves in their original-born bodies, or “flats/baselines”, which would be a very rare thing (& an “antiquated” or “vintage” commodity in “shell” markets), especially since most of those people went and sequestered together around Jupiter, and are armed with the biggest guns ever to keep the questionably trans”human” society abroad staying back at a comfortable distance away. (though there’d be some friendlier holdouts in the orbit and Lagrangian points of earth, and some minor baseline-human demographics merged within Lunar populaces.)

With the ponies themselves;  
Basic earth ponies would mostly live on Mars, and a few large lagrangian-positioned habitats.
Pegasi would be a minor “sub-clade” of ponies; ones with small wings would live in low-gravity habitats and planetside colonies, such as on the Moon or on Mercury, while ones with bigger and stronger wings would live on floating habitats on Venus. (tho Mercury would also be a diverse melting pot of other completely different species & clades, too)
Aquatic ponies would live within the subcrustal oceans of Ceres and Europa (with infrequent commando-incursions to the latter location by humans inhabiting the rest of Jupiter).
And unicorns would be a very rare censored variety, only possible after a pony comes into contact with a uniquely rare and “beneficial” variation of a nano-plague. (less Deus-ex-Machina-bestowed superpowers tho, more anomalous alien intelligence sharing the victim’s brain and possibly influencing them in subliminal ways.)

Moving on from prominent ponies and marginalized normal humans; the asteroid belt, every planet’s trojans and greeks, the vulcanoids around the sun (& the sun itself in a unique case), Mercury, and places beyond Jupiter’s orbit would all play host to just about anything anyone can come up with.  
(I guess one could call them the “abyssinians”, in the sense that they’re from the “abyss” of space; usually kludged together on space barges during long journeys)

If you’d want your character to be a cryptid though, something based on classic 20-21st century media, or even something entirely made up, then there’s also “Fortean” in the setting. It’s one of many other varied exoplanets reached through the eldritch-mysterious and spooky-as-fug “Pandora Gates”, and it’s specifically where eccentric scientists and genetekkers are allowed to work on developing just about every fictional creature ever into living “neogen” creations.

to sum it up; humans would be marginalized by default (represented by the Jovian Republic), ponies could take more prominence (majority of PC(Planetary Consortium) populace/humanity’s “inheritors”?) but explicitly not as extraterrestrials, and “trans/post-humans(?)” would be a thing kinda everywhere, but with their consideration going from accepted, to absolutely bizarre and ostracized outcastings (to let RP-participants be anything else they’d want to, or at least, preserve the setting’s post-cyberpunk themes). (With the trans/post-humans in the setting, just about anything, species and clade wise (haven’t talked about those “infugees” being downloaded into robot bodies), is usually possible through Science!, but limited by capability, taboo, sense of applicable morals, and toleration towards it, or at least enough distance from it.)

“Magic” in the setting is also an element that would involve gradual in-context self-discovery and development (with directing on my part) for the characters using it, so I’d rather not delve into details. I’ll just say that it’s a weird (and interesting) route to roleplay. :P  
(basically dabbling into both the Conspiracy & Cosmic Horror themes)
Coriolanus

basically, I’ve got it all figured out in my head, equines would be a widely-functioning part of the setting (tho “races” aren’t restricted to just equines or humans, nor immutable), and the setting’s “magic” psionics is great as a meta-plot function, as it’s not just powers, but rather an optional route to better insights far down the line on why the Earth was devastated. (psionics tho wouldn’t be limited to equines; it’s just because they happen to be the most plentiful guinea pigs to their hypercorp’s black projects, that so many psi-users are equine.)

I guess, all I need are PMs of interested folk’s character sheets for me to help acclimate into the setting.
Boxless

stop using Derpi lmao
@Chef Unionista ZGU  
Pony roleplaying forum, rules take precedence. Sorry about that.

@Coriolanus  
@Coriolanus  
I mean, i guess it qualifies? Just kinda feels like it’s twisting things that are already… pretty corkscrewed. not to mention psionics being just asking for someone to waltz in with actual magic and fuck with everything.
Coltshan000

The rp will have video gamey elements such as hunger, sleep, and physical health, but also dealing with infections and mutations the players can contract and must either find a cure for their affliction or try to manage their infections to augment chances for survival or otherwise become lost to the creature you’ve become.
Coriolanus

Out of 8 billion people;
more than 7.9 billion are gone forever(?),
( [ NSFW: Grimdark ] either the quick way or another grisly ‘‘open-ended’’ route)
about 2.5 million are either inert data, or corporeally impaired [ Latter NSFW Link: Questionable ],
around 2 million don’t care about the human condition any more,
(literally becoming sapient walking tanks, spacecraft, other species, etc. and of course, some never even were human to begin with.)
& slightly over 500k are xenophobic humans who perform begrudgingly-tolerated space piracy upon any ships using their home system Jupiter for gravity assists.
(i.e. “Slingshot Tolls”)

It’s fiiine, it’s fine. %- ω-%  
(&b4 a community of free equines ventures through one of the Pandora Gates, claiming & turning an exoplanet co-linked with Fortean into Equestria  
)

While I wouldn’t invite powerhouses to take the stage first and foremost since it’d curb other people’s characters, and psychic powers explicitly aren’t allowed to be anywhere near so from the get-go (imagine them just having premonitions of what’s to come, then “reset” by having them awaken from unconsciousness), a catastrophic psionic event could be used later on at some point as ground zero for some real dope shit.  
(The response likely being with the deadliest people alive recruited together into men-in-black style “erasure” squads armed with the best tools, weapons, gear, and skills available, of which I’d recommend ppl submit a second character to be made for participation in “sweeping” those catastrophes “under the rug”.)

also; because whole-brain emulation is a thing, death, at least function-wise, is a harsh inconvenience.  
(Except for the bio-conservative human populace around Jupiter, which is why they have all the best guns n’ shiz protecting them)
Boxless

stop using Derpi lmao
@Coriolanus  
Good examples. Why, exactly, aren’t the bio-conservative ‘nutters’ growing clones and keeping records? I get being tied to your body and it not being a clone and all but if your choices are >be dead or >be a mind in a clone that’s otherwise the same as old body which are you gonna choose

Oh well. We shall see. inb4 Equestria shows up at the other end of a Pandora Gate and Magnets fuck everything up
Coriolanus

@Boxless  
They aren’t growing many potentially dangerous/weaponizable clones/vat-grown people to “sleeve” folks into, cuz there’s already a natural way to make more people, though they might still grow bodyparts in restricted vats for medical purposes, or use shortlived nanobots to cure cancers they get from living so close to Jupiter, so while they may want to be mortal, they’ll be very, very long-lived.

Their military also practices uploading, simply cuz having the best and brightest effectively immortal and always on call for demand & possibly at more than two places at once under different names is too convenient, but to their overall practical point of view, baseline humanity is a precious thing to protecc, as it’s possibly the only standard keeping everything from drifting into a realized nightmare of ephemeral beings with no firmly grounded identity, common needs, or purpose.  
(They’re also one of only a few factions benefiting from true population growth, instead of “re-instancing” the “dead”; what remains of civilization at large isn’t really keen on having positive growth. Those in charge of the indentured equines would be at odds with promoting their mass expansion, vs. rallies for infugee re-instantiation.)

They’re a small minority of people who escaped a technology-driven apocalypse unscathed, so they see their neo-luddism as the safest course to take. After all, if one of the greatest known fears during earth’s “Fall” was a rampant sapient virus, capable of changing it’s vector across information-barriers; between nanotech, computer programs, genetics, and in some cases even taking hostage the minds of people with even organic non-cyberized brains, doesn’t it seem reckless (or absolutely terrifying) that the rest of the solar system is nonchalantly dabbling with all four of those fields, and especially since those people are all connected fundamentally through wireless channels?

(I like to think they’re something akin to Fallout’s Enclave, minus Fallout’s worn-out 50’s aesthetics. Maybe they’ll one day even set up a colony back on destroyed earth, though likely upon an island isolated away somewhere… Fallout: Hawaii? 🤔)

Also, Fermi Paradox. No sapient thriving aliens, except for one specific seedy case, among a dozen other nightmarish cases that can only questionably be called sapient. The last thing real-Equestria would want too is a Pandora Gate anywhere within 100 lightyears of them, for the same reason that plagues spread. Stepping through a Gate clocked onto random coordinates, only to discover a graveyard planet on the other side, inhabited by abstract abominations bearing vestigial traits of equines… hmm…

For now, I await DMs of interested people’s character sheets, so that I can acclimate them into the setting. u_u
RosieKawaii

Again. If anyone wants to rp with me.  
I do alot of rp types. From safe, to explicit. And even guro.

Just dm me on Discord!

Sharkyboyo#9363
Coriolanus

@Boxless  
The universe is a cruel mistress.  
(One exoplanet named “Giza” reached through the Pandora Gates has a bunch of half-buried polygonal devices that seemingly link users to a universe-wide internet. One of the PDF-book’s pre-listed responses to using the devices is receiving a full database of an alien’s genome desperately sent by an unknown civilization about to suddenly die. Since some of the Pandora Gates are owned by hypercorps, maybe that genome was used to create the ponies, all along. ^- ω-^)
Boxless

stop using Derpi lmao
@Coriolanus  
I’m 90% sure ponies’ fucked-up tech progression (and magical inclinations, up-to-and-including an artificial sun they manipulate and general weather control) would ensure most universal extinction events would be not only foreseen but also nullified, or mitigated at minimum.

I’m aware it’s a cruel mistress, but quite a few things stand in the way of the lash.

That is all on the subject, though.
Interested in advertising on Derpibooru? Click here for information!
Techy Cutie Pony Collection!

Help fund the $15 daily operational cost of Derpibooru - support us financially!

Syntax quick reference: **bold** *italic* ||hide text|| `code` __underline__ ~~strike~~ ^sup^ %sub%

Detailed syntax guide