Alias the tag "princess twilight 2.0" to "ultimate twilight"

Fleetfoot
Fleetfoot - For Patreon supporters
Perfect Fleetfoot Plot Provider - Uploader of 10+ saucy Fleetfoot images with 350+ upvotes (Perfect Pony Plot Provider)
Woona - To my most special somepony~
Solar Supporter - Fought against the New Lunar Republic rebellion on the side of the Solar Deity (April Fools 2023).
Tree of Harmony -
Non-Fungible Trixie -
Preenhub - We all know what you were up to this evening~
Twinkling Balloon - Took part in the 2021 community collab.
Responsible Disclosure - Lessons from Furbi
My Little Pony - 1992 Edition

Senior Moderator
Fletch the Enfield
‘Princess Twilight 2.0’ does have a lot more images under it which would indicate higher popularity so it’d make sense to be the main one in an alias case.

One issue I have with the ‘Ultimate Twilight’ tag is that even with current description it can still be a bit open for confusion with this instance:  

All in all aliasing might be a good idea in order to reduce redundancy, still want to hear more opinions though.
Background Pony #1B76
Since Princess Twilight 2.0 implies spoiler tags for the series epilogue, I’d recommend holding off talks about aliasing until after we retire the Season 9 spoiler tags, consider Ultimate Twilight doesn’t directly relate to the Season 9 finale and PT 2.0 does. If I remember correctly we usually retire spoiler tags a year after the season began, so that’s not too far off from now.

Otherwise, I feel like the difference between the two is great enough for both the tags to exist when you consider that Princess Twilight 2.0 is more narrowly defined as Twilight’s new Celestia-like form from The Last Problem, and Ultimate Twilight has many different forms and variations she has taken by fan design. Perhaps PT 2.0 should imply Ultimate TWilight?
Fleetfoot
Fleetfoot - For Patreon supporters
Perfect Fleetfoot Plot Provider - Uploader of 10+ saucy Fleetfoot images with 350+ upvotes (Perfect Pony Plot Provider)
Woona - To my most special somepony~
Solar Supporter - Fought against the New Lunar Republic rebellion on the side of the Solar Deity (April Fools 2023).
Tree of Harmony -
Non-Fungible Trixie -
Preenhub - We all know what you were up to this evening~
Twinkling Balloon - Took part in the 2021 community collab.
Responsible Disclosure - Lessons from Furbi
My Little Pony - 1992 Edition

Senior Moderator
Fletch the Enfield
@Background Pony #7EAC  
Hey!

Oh you have made some terrific points! Indeed we still have a little longer to go before the S9 spoilers are dismissed and that is something we must hold in consideration.

I also had my doubts on that, PT 2.0 is used very specific to Twilight’s latest canon form and “Ultimate Twilight” could be for more fan orientated, the problem is that a good portion of images should have been tagged as PT 2.0 instead due to design.

So alias might be out of the picture but a proper description and cleaning is required.
Frustration in Excelsis
Notoriously Divine Tagger - Consistently uploads images above and beyond the minimum tag requirements. And/or additionally, bringing over the original description from the source if the image has one. Does NOT apply to the uploader adding several to a dozen tags after originally uploading with minimum to bare tagging.
Artist -
Cool Crow - "Caw!" An awesome tagger
Magnificent Metadata Maniac -

Worldbuilding Addict
Apologies is this counts as necromancy, but I’ve been thinking about this issue as well and reanimating an existing thread seems the most efficient way of bringing this up again.

Anyway, I agree with the overview that there’s no practical difference between these tags as they are now. That being said, as far as I can tell PT2.0 seems meant to refer specifically to the form Twilight takes in “The Last Problem”, whereas UT broadly covers any image where Twilight’s larger and older. However, the first tag has been added very broadly to all instances of the second type of image, and there’s no real distinction between the two as is.

Now, having two tags for the exact same thing is not generally peak tagging practice, so something should probably be done. Broadly, we’d have two options – alias, or make the tags more distinct than they are.

I’d be opposed to aliasing, personally, for two reasons. First, PT2.0 implies the last problem, which obviously should only go images pertaining to, well, “The Last Problem”. Second, while that would be fixable by just removing the implication, the intent seems to very much have been to have a tag for Twilight’s canonical “ultimate” form, and I do think that having a tag to refer to that form specifically is a valuable one to have. In my mind, it doesn’t seem that different from how daybreaker and nightmare star are separate tags – a tag for a thing from canon, and a tag for a thing from fanart only.

Also, ultimate chrysalis, ultimate luna and ultimate cadance exist and ultimate twilight gels well with that theme. A secondary consideration at best, but there it is.

Anyway, assuming that we do not alias, the next question is implications. If PT2.0 and UT stay separate, should the former imply the latter or should they be mutually exclusive? The nightmare star/daybreaker precedent would suggest the second option, but I could very well see a case for the first as well.
Interested in advertising on Derpibooru? Click here for information!
Sky Railroad Merch Shop!

Help fund the $15 daily operational cost of Derpibooru - support us financially!

Syntax quick reference: **bold** *italic* ||hide text|| `code` __underline__ ~~strike~~ ^sup^ %sub%

Detailed syntax guide