General Tag Discussion

saby
Solar Supporter - Fought against the New Lunar Republic rebellion on the side of the Solar Deity (April Fools 2023).
An Artist Who Rocks - 100+ images under their artist tag
King Sombra - Celebrated the 10th anniversary of The Crystal Empire!
A Lovely Nightmare Night - Celebrated the 12th anniversary of MLP:FIM!
A Perfectly Normal Pony - Red is Sprout, yellow is Hitch, you are a lout, and also a bitch.
Speaking Fancy - Badge given to members that help with translations
Tree of Harmony - Drew someone's OC for the 2022 Community Collab
Elements of Harmony - Had an OC in the 2022 Community Collab
Non-Fungible Trixie -
Kinship Through Differences - Celebrated the 11th anniversary of MLP:FIM!

extra fun at parties
@Andyxdr  
“Duo” description could stand to be clarified. Pretty sure it’s supposed to be for any picture with two characters that are not being shipped together in the picture. The mere existence of any (implied) shipping would arbitrarily disqualify stuff like workmates gossiping about an unseen character’s lovelife, or one friend comforting another one over relationship trouble.

But here we have an image that contains two separate, distinct pictures that each feature a solo character.
Nightmare minion

Moonbutt is bestbutt.
I recently ran across the rat fink tag. Rat Fink is a specific character by one of the early contributors to the hotrod-oriented Kustom Kulture dating back to the ‘50s. Labeling that type of art as “rat fink” would be kind of like labeling all MLP:FiM style art as “trixie lulamoon” art. “kustom kulture” would be a more logical tag. There’s been recent use of “kustom graphics” to describe the graphic art separate from other creative outlets, but I’d consider that secondary in preference due to its relatively short history.
Background Pony #626C
Hello Dear Mods & Admins of Derpibooru how are you doing?
I am wondering, could we please change the name of Purple Frizz to Magenta Williams, the reason being that she so very much looks like she could be the Mother of EQG’s version of Megan Williams?
By any means please tell me if you think this is a good idea or not. Regardless of the outcome, i want to wish you all a very nice day.

What do you think of this?
saby
Solar Supporter - Fought against the New Lunar Republic rebellion on the side of the Solar Deity (April Fools 2023).
A Perfectly Normal Pony - Red is Sprout, yellow is Hitch, you are a lout, and also a bitch.
Non-Fungible Trixie -

extra fun at parties
@Background Pony #626C  
Names of characters is more of a community-wide thing, so asking for staff’s personal opinions is kind of… irrelevant.

Personally I’m not staff but here’s my opinion. I’m lukewarm to the idea. I appreciate the Magenta-Megan allusion, and can the semblance (same eyes, same face shape, same teal clothing) looks too much to be mere coincidence. Howeverrr “Magenta Williams” sounds like a half ponified name for Megan herself, and giving Megan a more ponyish name themed like her headcanon mothers’ would appeal to me more than the other way around. Wouldn’t mind a secondary name for either Purple Frizz or Megan (like Sweetie Drops/Bon Bon) if a lot of people would like that tho.
Background Pony #626C
@saby  
Oh ok. Well if it is up to the community to decide aswell as the stff when it comes name changes then i will now move the proposal to a floor vote on this thread. To change the name of Purple Frizz to Magenta Williams & Make her’s & Megan’s relationship as Mother & Daughter canon on this site.

If Magenta Williams sounds too much like a half ponified name for Megan, then may i suggest Margret Williams as name instead. How ever this floor vote will the have to be a secondary follow up vote to the big primary vote itself.

Anyone please by all means feel free to speak your mind on this topic.
Ciaran
ラ・ゼッタ - For supporting the site
Silly Pony - Celebrated the 13th anniversary of MLP:FIM, and 40 years of MLP!
Shimmering Smile - Celebrated the 10th anniversary of Equestria Girls!
Lunar Guardian - Earned a place among the ranks of the most loyal New Lunar Republic soldiers (April Fools 2023).
Crystal Roseluck - Had their OC in the 2023 Derpibooru Collab.
Flower Trio - Helped others get their OC into the 2023 Derpibooru Collab.
Princess of Love - Extra special version for those who participated in the Canterlot Wedding 10th anniversary event by contributing art.

Senior Moderator
友情は魔法だ
@Background Pony #626C  
Who?

Oh.

This is a Background Pony name that’s been in use here for 2 years. That doesn’t mean that her name CAN’T be changed, but it is an old enough name that it’s basically an artifact of the tags now, and changing it isn’t something that any of us can just do on a whim. Or, usually, even with a good argument.

A better place to ask about this if you want to change the name of a Background Pony is to ask in the Naming Background Ponies Thread!

That way you’ll be talking to the portion of the community who actually work with Background Pony names and their tags, and will probably get a better discussion and more attention paid to your request. Also the folks who will actually make the change if they agree, and implement any implications or other tags that are involved in this change, are more likely to be in that thread.
Background Pony #626C
@Ciaran  
Oh, ok, got it thank you so very much for pointing me in the right way.

I will post the suggestion there, still i would very much like to hear your opinion on the matter bacuse i like to hear from pepole.

Also & this is only if it isn’t to much of an ask for you, but could you please tell the other mods & admins about this pitch so as to put them on notice?
Ciaran
Lunar Guardian - Earned a place among the ranks of the most loyal New Lunar Republic soldiers (April Fools 2023).
Princess of Love - Extra special version for those who participated in the Canterlot Wedding 10th anniversary event by contributing art.

Senior Moderator
友情は魔法だ
@Background Pony #626C  
Sorry, but really the best way to get ahold of the folks who work on ‘background pony’ names really is just to make a new post in that thread. If I were going to do it for you, that’s where I’d post. That way you’ll reach the people who most need to hear it.
Rainboom Dash
Lunar Hero - Went above and beyond in the name of Lunar freedom, they will be remembered in legends and folklore as paragons of heroism for generations (April Fools 2023).
Non-Fungible Trixie -
Preenhub - We all know what you were up to this evening~
Ten years of changes - Celebrated the 10th anniversary of MLP:FiM!

Rainbooms4Ever
I see comments saying the Sphinx is male but someone just removed the male tag and.. well, idk

I didn’t hear it from the artist so.. I guess I’ll add male tag back still? >>1673119
Ciaran

Senior Moderator
友情は魔法だ
@Rainboom Dash  
In other instances of that same character by the same artist the gender is entirely fluid. Sometimes male, sometimes female, sometimes indeterminate.

The image should at least be tagged “Female” because “Somnamula” is in the image. But whether “Sphinx” is male or not seems to be entirely personal opinion. In fact, whether the original Sphinx was male or female is almost a Biblical debate - “Man And Woman He Made Them”.

That said, Mildgyth tagged the image “Male” 3 years ago, so removing that tag without talking to her first is against our rules, so I’m going to restore the tag and ask people to discuss it with staff before removing it again.

Not because that image is in any way clearly a male to me, but because one of our tagging experts made that call in the past and we should talk with them before reversing it.
Panko Pai
A Really Hyper Artist - 500+ images under their artist tag
Twinkling Balloon - Took part in the 2021 community collab.
Ten years of changes - Celebrated the 10th anniversary of MLP:FiM!
My Little Pony - 1992 Edition
Friendship, Art, and Magic (2020) - Took part in the 2020 Community Collab
A Really Classy Artist - 250+ images under their artist tag
Dream Come True! - Participated in the MLP 9th Anniversary Event
Best Artist - Providing quality, Derpibooru-exclusive artwork

Shy gamer stallion
Dumb question, if a male character who looks feminine is called femboy, then what’s the name of the opposite (female character who looks masculine)?
saby
Non-Fungible Trixie -

extra fun at parties
@Panko Pai  
Could be “androgynous, female”. AFAIK there’s no direct gender swapped single-tag version of femboy, considering a femboy does not need to dress or act in a feminine way to be a femboy, but a tomboy is (at least classically) defined as being a young (or older but androgynous) girl with boyish conduct, activities, and clothes.
Interested in advertising on Derpibooru? Click here for information!
Pony Arts & Prints!

Help fund the $15 daily operational cost of Derpibooru - support us financially!

Syntax quick reference: **bold** *italic* ||hide text|| `code` __underline__ ~~strike~~ ^sup^ %sub%

Detailed syntax guide