General Tag Discussion

ZONESS
Silly Pony - Celebrated the 13th anniversary of MLP:FIM, and 40 years of MLP!
Lunar Champion - Led the charge of major battles for the New Lunar Republic, bringing swift and crushing defeat to the forces of the Solar Empire (April Fools 2023).
Betrayal! - Betrayed their team for a badge. Shame forever!
Roseluck - Had their OC in the 2023 Derpibooru Collab.
A Lovely Nightmare Night - Celebrated the 12th anniversary of MLP:FIM!
Elements of Harmony - Had an OC in the 2022 Community Collab
Non-Fungible Trixie -
Preenhub - We all know what you were up to this evening~
Twinkling Balloon - Took part in the 2021 community collab.
My Little Pony - 1992 Edition

@Background Pony #D4EE
That just looks like a darker skin tone to me, I don’t think that’s supposed to be makeup.
As to why they did that sometimes, I have no idea. Maybe it’s an animation error where they grabbed the shadow from the character’s palette or perhaps they wanted to emphasis the shape of the character’s eyes for some effect.
PUBLIQclopAccountant
Magnificent Metadata Maniac - #1 Assistant
Solar Guardian - Refused to surrender in the face of the Lunar rebellion and showed utmost loyalty to the Solar Empire (April Fools 2023).
Non-Fungible Trixie -
Magical Inkwell - Wrote MLP fanfiction consisting of at least around 1.5k words, and has a verified link to the platform of their choice

IRL 🎠 stallion
Does a night light butt tag exist? I looked at 10 different ones and no tag for night light’s blue butt!
@Background Pony #52BA
I found a new use for associative tagging: the tags for a specific character’s butt and stupid sexy X tags and the like. Some of the names are clever, but others are unintuitive to find and others are intuitive but not memorable.
PUBLIQclopAccountant
Solar Guardian - Refused to surrender in the face of the Lunar rebellion and showed utmost loyalty to the Solar Empire (April Fools 2023).
Non-Fungible Trixie -
Magical Inkwell - Wrote MLP fanfiction consisting of at least around 1.5k words, and has a verified link to the platform of their choice

IRL 🎠 stallion
@LightningBolt
To expand on what @Background Pony #52BA said, the point of associative tagging is to obviate the need for cute novelty tags.
Currently, such tags exist because the butt tag only indicates that somepony’s butt is visible somewhere in the image. It does not specify which pony it belongs to.
That means, for example, if somebody was searching for pictures of Twilight’s butt with more ponies than just Twilight with Twilight && butt && !solo && safe, they would have gotten the >>2724130 images that started this discussion in their results. However, that image does not contain Twilight’s butt.
Tags such as twibutt were the improvised solution to this. However, there is no consistency to their naming. Not only is this confusing (which part of the name is replaced? Is it twibutt or flutterbutt or rainbutt dash? Is it a pun on the cutie mark like sunbutt or moonbutt? Is it something else entirely, like rearity?), it also leads to requests like @TheGamerPainter made above for each character that does not yet have his own dedicated butt tag.
Further, take the case of someone who doesn’t want to see stallion butts today. With a naïve filter of stallion && butt, image >>2636942 would be filtered in spite of the fact that Pinkie Pie is the only pony whose butt is shown.
With (syntax here is for demonstration purposes only) associative tags, >>2636942 would have something like Pinkie Pie/butt and Pinkie Pie/mare in addition to tags for the background stallions. Image >>2724130 would have Night Light/butt, Night Light/stallion, Twilight Velvet/butt, and Twilight Velvet/mare. The stallion plot avoidant user could have a filter of {1}/stallion && {1}/butt to have an accurate removal of stallion butts from their sight. Someone who wanted to search for Countess Coloratura’s butt could search for Coloratura/butt instead of doing a more general search or wondering what her punny butt tag is (if she even has one in the first place).
LightningBolt
Umbrella - For Patreon supporters
Lightning Dee - Derpi Supporter
Silly Pony - Celebrated the 13th anniversary of MLP:FIM, and 40 years of MLP!
Shimmering Smile - Celebrated the 10th anniversary of Equestria Girls!
Lunar Hero - Went above and beyond in the name of Lunar freedom, they will be remembered in legends and folklore as paragons of heroism for generations (April Fools 2023).
Flower Trio - Helped others get their OC into the 2023 Derpibooru Collab.
Roseluck - Had their OC in the 2023 Derpibooru Collab.
Chaotic Little Trees - 1000+ images under their artist tag
King Sombra - Celebrated the 10th anniversary of The Crystal Empire!

Senior Moderator
Undead inside
@PUBLIQclopAccountant
Tags do not need to clarify who’s butt is present in the image, that is not what tags are for and this is trying to fix a problem that shouldn’t be one to begin with as it’s needless nitpicking and specificity and also does nothing for lesser characters or OCs and just serves as bloat.
Solo focus tag could fix your PP example, btw.
Anyway, people need to just deal with the fact that tags do not and should not be specific to every single character’s body part. Being someone who mostly prefers OCs, less popular characters, ponifieds, and males, I am used to not being catered to with a silver platter. It should not be encouraged as behavior when there is still dozens of basic tags barely getting tagged like female or pony for god’s sake. Stop wasting time with specific butt tags.
PUBLIQclopAccountant
Non-Fungible Trixie -

IRL 🎠 stallion
For whatever reason, Firefox decided it suddenly didn’t like some image on this page and kept crashing the tab after my computer rebooted, so I have been reduced to phoneposting until this thread reaches its next page break. Even with a bluetooth keyboard, I miss my mouse and easily opening secondary tabs when effortposting.
@LightningBolt
What are tags for, then? There’s clearly a discrepancy in understanding here. IMO, the more specific and standardized, the better.
Associative tagging proposals are specifically against individualized cutesy tags for each character. Users will create butt tags regardless of whether they’re supposed to or not (see: the existence of these tags in the first place long predates when I made an account here). Associative tagging admits that overtagging users aren’t going to change their behavior and be satisfied with nonspecific tags while also negating the drive to make up cute terms for each character by standardizing on a way that is the same for every character. Uncommon characters and OCs would be helped under such a system because there would be only one way to be that nitpicky about tagging for all characters.
The butt tags were merely the most obvious use case to spring to mind. An associative tagging regime could also note which character is wearing clothes in images with a mixture of clothed and au natural ponies.
It should not be encouraged as behavior when there is still dozens of basic tags barely getting tagged like female or pony for god’s sake
I fail to see how preventing the tagging obsessives from being obsessive would improve this in any way. The users who want more advanced tagging and the users who don’t tag the basics are disjoint subsets.
Anyway, if you want my thoughts on how to get female and pony tagged more:
  1. Do unicorn, pegasus, etc… imply pony? If not, people may tag the breed/race of the pony and not realize that doing so does not also imply the species of pony.
  2. Likewise, do the character tags for the M6 and common background ponies imply female (or male for the stallions?). What about mare and stallion? I could foresee that the character tags would not have such implications due to R63 being a non-trivial fraction of art.
  3. Has the mod team had discussions on changing the layout of the upload page to have separate input boxes for super-basic tags. Rather than one big box for everything, have subheadings for tags for artist, character (including no pony), species, gender, and other tags. If Twilight Sparkle (unicorn) does not imply unicorn, female, pony, explicitly breaking out the boxes for tags would provide a hint that those tags need manual addition.
I do not disagree that there are many undertagged images. When I made the example searches earlier, they all had a term for NOT solo and each returned images that should have had the solo tag. That’s one I can’t think of an automated solution to: my gut feeling says that automatically appending solo (or even solo focus) to images with a single character tag at upload would do the wrong thing more often than not.
——
RE: point 3 in my list above, that could almost be some kind of use for associative tagging: for each character, separately tag gender and species. The image in my mind’s eye at the moment would be tagged something like the following: Twilight Sparkle would be paired with female, unicorn, pony, laughing, Spike gets male, dragon, unamused, smoke, and Rainbow Dash is pegasus, mare. The image as a whole would have the rating and artist tag as well as nonspecific setting tags, tree, nighttime, and cloud.
The associated tags could be searched for just as tags currently are (laughing, Spike would return this image) or in specific (Spike/laughing would not).
——
Of course, if you just want to get rid of the junk tags today, we’ve already got a list going:
  • the previously-discussed butt tags
  • the stupid sexy X spam tags
  • character-specific adorapony tags
I do not, of course, know whether Philomena allows mods to set up tags to be blackholed (a.k.a. tags an unaware user couldn’t add to any image. Useful so those tags can’t be used again anywhere in the future.)
saby
Solar Supporter - Fought against the New Lunar Republic rebellion on the side of the Solar Deity (April Fools 2023).
An Artist Who Rocks - 100+ images under their artist tag
King Sombra - Celebrated the 10th anniversary of The Crystal Empire!
A Perfectly Normal Pony - Red is Sprout, yellow is Hitch, you are a lout, and also a bitch.
Speaking Fancy - Badge given to members that help with translations
Tree of Harmony - Drew someone's OC for the 2022 Community Collab
Elements of Harmony - Had an OC in the 2022 Community Collab
Non-Fungible Trixie -
Kinship Through Differences - Celebrated the 11th anniversary of MLP:FIM!

extra fun at parties
@PUBLIQclopAccountant
“Unicorn” etc do not imply “pony” because they’re not restricted by bodyplan, and “pony” is restricted by both species (equine) and bodyplan (zoomorphic).
And yes, character tags do not imply sex exactly because R63 and various sexless/ambiguous transformations/versions of characters are much too common for misimplications to not be a problem.
Interested in advertising on Derpibooru? Click here for information!
Ponies Online! - April 13-14

Help fund the $15 daily operational cost of Derpibooru - support us financially!

Syntax quick reference: **bold** *italic* ||hide text|| `code` __underline__ ~~strike~~ ^sup^ %sub%

Detailed syntax guide