General Tag Discussion

saby
Pixel Perfection - I still call her Lightning Bolt
Solar Supporter - Fought against the New Lunar Republic rebellion on the side of the Solar Deity (April Fools 2023).
An Artist Who Rocks - 100+ images under their artist tag
King Sombra - Celebrated the 10th anniversary of The Crystal Empire!
A Lovely Nightmare Night - Celebrated the 12th anniversary of MLP:FIM!
A Perfectly Normal Pony - Red is Sprout, yellow is Hitch, you are a lout, and also a bitch.
Speaking Fancy - Badge given to members that help with translations
Tree of Harmony - Drew someone's OC for the 2022 Community Collab
Elements of Harmony - Had an OC in the 2022 Community Collab
Non-Fungible Trixie -

extra fun at parties
@Background Pony #7C7A
Clarification: fetlock is the joint between the cannon bone and the pastern bone, and sometimes the hair growing on that joint.
This image shows part of the cannon, the bulbous part is the fetlock joint, the narrower part below that joint is the pastern. The border beween the hoof and the rest of the leg is the coronet.
This one shows an explicit pastern tuft or a coronet tuft (currently tagged “fetlock tuft” although the actual fetlock is smooth and untufted)
This one has perfectly smooth legs (with semi-realistic joint shapes) but is still tagged “fetlock tuft”
The tag we call “unshorn fetlocks” in fact refers to “unshorn coronets” (although often there is also enough feather on the leg to actually warrant “unshorn fetlocks”), and the way it’s described (“hooves separated with fur”and “Hooves that are visually distinct from the legs with fur between them.”) is a disaster on its own. Moreover, “fluffy hoofies, fetlocks, fetlock, fluffy hooves, shire hooves” all alias into it while “fetlocks” and “fetlock” probably were meant to refer to “fetlock tuft” (which is independent on the coronet) and “fluffy hooves” which may and “shire hooves” which definitely do refer to profuse feather over the entire lower leg. “Classical unicorn” should probably imply “fetlock tuft” and not “unshorn fetlocks”, too.
This image shows a horse with entirely and profusely feathered lower legs. It’s only a smidge exaggerated to what RL Irish cobs can have. Currently tagged “long feather”.
This image shows perfectly smooth or clean shaven lower legs but counts for “unshorn fetlocks” because the hoof is visually distinct from the coat.
This image shows an unshorn coronet, should be tagged “unshorn fetlocks” (as the tag currently is) but is tagged “fetlock tuft”.
This image is one of the rather few that show an actual “fetlock tuft”, a tuft of hair, originating from the fetlock
Oh yeah “feather” is an equestrian term of art for longer than all short hair on the lower leg. If it sticks out even a bit, it’s “feather”.
Background Pony #52BA

This one has perfectly smooth legs (with semi-realistic joint shapes) but is still tagged “fetlock tuft”
Well, that’s just mis-tagged no matter how you look at it.
There also exists a tag shorn fetlocks but that looks like it was initially meant as a joke for images of show characters who had scalloped hoof separation (Big Mac, Shining Armor) edited to a straight line.
🂾𝕃𝕚𝕟𝕔𝕠𝕝𝕟𝔹𝕣𝕖𝕨𝕤𝕥𝕖𝕣𝔽𝕒𝕟🂽
Best Fans Forever - For supporting the site
Best Fans Forever - For supporting the site
Nocturnal Vision - For supporting the site
Silly Pony - Celebrated the 13th anniversary of MLP:FIM, and 40 years of MLP!
Shimmering Smile - Celebrated the 10th anniversary of Equestria Girls!
Lunar Hero - Went above and beyond in the name of Lunar freedom, they will be remembered in legends and folklore as paragons of heroism for generations (April Fools 2023).
Flower Trio - Helped others get their OC into the 2023 Derpibooru Collab.
Crystal Roseluck - Had their OC in the 2023 Derpibooru Collab.
Roseluck - Had their OC in the 2023 Derpibooru Collab.

Goodbye guys ;)
@Background Pony #7C7A
Clarification: fetlock is the joint between the cannon bone and the pastern bone, and sometimes the hair growing on that joint.
This image shows part of the cannon, the bulbous part is the fetlock joint, the narrower part below that joint is the pastern. The border beween the hoof and the rest of the leg is the coronet.
This one shows an explicit pastern tuft or a coronet tuft (currently tagged “fetlock tuft” although the actual fetlock is smooth and untufted)
The tag we call “unshorn fetlocks” in fact refers to “unshorn coronets” (although often there is also enough feather on the leg to actually warrant “unshorn fetlocks”), and the way it’s described (“hooves separated with fur”and “Hooves that are visually distinct from the legs with fur between them.”) is a disaster on its own. Moreover, “fluffy hoofies, fetlocks, fetlock, fluffy hooves, shire hooves” all alias into it while “fetlocks” and “fetlock” probably were meant to refer to “fetlock tuft” (which is independent on the coronet) and “fluffy hooves” which may and “shire hooves” which definitely do refer to profuse feather over the entire lower leg. “Classical unicorn” should probably imply “fetlock tuft” and not “unshorn fetlocks”, too.
This image shows a horse with entirely and profusely feathered lower legs. It’s only a smidge exaggerated to what RL Irish cobs can have. Currently tagged “long feather”.
This image shows perfectly smooth or clean shaven lower legs but counts for “unshorn fetlocks” because the hoof is visually distinct from the coat.
This image shows an unshorn coronet, should be tagged “unshorn fetlocks” (as the tag currently is) but is tagged “fetlock tuft”.
This image is one of the rather few that show an actual “fetlock tuft”, a tuft of hair, originating from the fetlock
Oh yeah “feather” is an equestrian term of art for longer than all short hair on the lower leg. If it sticks out even a bit, it’s “feather”.
Really in-depth summary Saby, thank you for this insight :)
Background Pony #7C7A
@saby
Thanks for the horse anatomy lesson. I guess this calls for rethinking of related tags. And this knowledge should be conveyed in their descriptions.
LightningBolt
Umbrella - For Patreon supporters
Lightning Dee - Derpi Supporter
Lunar Hero - Went above and beyond in the name of Lunar freedom, they will be remembered in legends and folklore as paragons of heroism for generations (April Fools 2023).
Chaotic Little Trees - 1000+ images under their artist tag

Senior Moderator
Undead inside
@saby
I’d rather not alias and change names of a bunch of tags that are established and well used just because they are ‘incorrect anatomically’, when these are cartoon horses and one tag name is a very old meme and fandom term.
saby
Solar Supporter - Fought against the New Lunar Republic rebellion on the side of the Solar Deity (April Fools 2023).
A Perfectly Normal Pony - Red is Sprout, yellow is Hitch, you are a lout, and also a bitch.
Non-Fungible Trixie -

extra fun at parties
@LightningBolt
The problem is that even the most established of these is not well used and established because people have no idea what it actually is supposed to mean and some tag names that mean very different things got aliased into it, probably from a time when the alternative tags for longer hair on lower limbs were so obscure barely anyone knew of them. At least give it a proper description.
As for the other, mutually overlapping and poorly established tags…
LightningBolt

Senior Moderator
Undead inside
@saby
Well it’s more so because people most people don’t tag beyond sexy if they even get that far.
Could you write up a detailed description I can add?
🐴
Magnificent Metadata Maniac - #1 Assistant
Solar Guardian - Refused to surrender in the face of the Lunar rebellion and showed utmost loyalty to the Solar Empire (April Fools 2023).
Non-Fungible Trixie -
Magical Inkwell - Wrote MLP fanfiction consisting of at least around 1.5k words, and has a verified link to the platform of their choice

IRL 🎠 stallion
@icicle wicicle 1517
See also the proliferation of butt focus tags. At least “humanized X” and “futa character” rarely use unintuitive punny names, unlike the butt focus tags.
The reason your princess pipp, humanized search doesn’t work is that it returns ANY image with Pipp and some humanized character in it, regardless of whether that human is Pipp.
@saby
I’m always glad when people like you who are deeper down the equine anatomy rabbit hole comment. More horse nerds for the horse site!
LightningBolt

Senior Moderator
Undead inside
@PUBLIQclopAccountant
You and all people need to stop making that argument “well if you have a specific tag fir a thing then it’s better because-” No. It is not important, it does not need to exist, the purpose of tags is NOT to cover every single character and every single state or body part of them, the only reason the butt and boob tags exist is because people forced them to exist with their horny brains. If you want to justify the existence of a human pipp tag, then I hope you are willing to justify the existence of human tags for every other character out there.
And I’m not, and no one should be. The tagging system is not for bloat like this. No more justifying it.
🐴
Solar Guardian - Refused to surrender in the face of the Lunar rebellion and showed utmost loyalty to the Solar Empire (April Fools 2023).
Non-Fungible Trixie -
Magical Inkwell - Wrote MLP fanfiction consisting of at least around 1.5k words, and has a verified link to the platform of their choice

IRL 🎠 stallion
@LightningBolt
Stop calling it bloat. That shows you do not understand and/or appreciate the reasons why those tags keep getting created and added. Those overly-specific tags, once enough organic popularity is achieved, comprise a large part of why tagging here is better than on e621. They’re stupid, inane, popular, and arbitrary. However, they keep being created regardless of opinions here and seemingly give a significantly higher proportion of “exactly what I wanted” than the equivalent simple search for objective anatomy tags would reveal.
I do agree that the various sexy, stupid sexy, and adorable tags should go. Those don’t seem to have any cohesive use by anyone.
LightningBolt

Senior Moderator
Undead inside
@PUBLIQclopAccountant
It is bloat, and I don’t appreciate tags like that as people are misusing the tagging system for things that are not needed. I’ll stop caring the day every image is 100% perfectly tagged before tags like those exist, that day is not today, and it will not be soon if we get letting stuff like this exist because “well someone finds it useful!’ make a gallery, that’s why they exist, for overly specific things like these. If we have tags for all specifics like that, then every image would have 5000 tags, and most don’t even have pony tagged yet. Tagging systems are not and never will be ‘for finding specific things only’ there would have to be a fundamental rewrite of the site’s rules to justify endless tags like those.
So no, I will not stop calling them that.
Background Pony #52BA
@LightningBolt
I agree that there can exist a line where compound-tags are getting overly (unnecessarily, harmfully) specific, though I’ve not yet formed an opinion whether “humanized [character]” is on one side or the other. For now, I’m inclined to think that it’s easy enough to tell from thumbnails what character is humanized in a post that it’s a convenience, not a necessity.
Your point about galleries isn’t a good one - galleries cannot (currently) be maintained by more than one user, so an effort to gather or categorize images cannot be a collaborative effort via galleries.
Your argument about tags not being for ever-more specific dissection of themes is weakened by site rules #2 and #4, which mandate use of filters to avoid content you don’t want. As I said at the start, I still think there’s a line somewhere, but those rules move the line in favor of more specificity, not less.
LightningBolt

Senior Moderator
Undead inside
@Background Pony #52BA
There shouldn’t be such an argument over such a nothing tag. Yes galleries need work but the odds of someone specifically HATING humanized pipp only is a silly thing to cater to. I’m super picky about my own interests, I never once thought to make tags just for them.
saby
Non-Fungible Trixie -

extra fun at parties
@Background Pony #52BA
Emanata aren’t forbidden from overlapping the figure they emanate from.
Do note that our usage of “emanata” is much wider than the original Walkerian definition which is limited to straight lines used for expressing surprise or sudden elevation in alertness, such as in this picture.
The surprise line burst emanatum has (or can have) identical form with:
“neoflects” which denote brand-spanking-newness
(which I didn’t find and it’s getting late)
🐴
Non-Fungible Trixie -

IRL 🎠 stallion
  1. I don’t quite understand how the existence of niche tags impedes the proper tagging of other images.
  2. You know this just as well as I, but the lack of pony tagging is an artifact from the early seasons of the show when it was assumed that all images were pony unless otherwise specified (a.k.a. anthro, humanized, or of Steven Magnet and Spike). There’s plenty of old habits—either long-timers who never added pony to their mental checklist of what to tag as well as n00bs who see all the old untagged images and assume there is no need to add that tag from a monkey see/monkey do cultural transmission.
  3. Speaking of tagging pony, I’ve been going through some images to add that tag. Which of the following, if any, should be given the pony tag?
    1. Batponies
    2. kirin
    3. Plane Ponies
    4. Ponytas (Galar or Kanto)
    5. Canon ponies drawn in the horse or hoers style
  1. Since you mentioned compound tagging again, perhaps there should be a fork of Philomena—call it Philomena 2 or something. Current Philomena will continue to be optimized for existing pony boorus. No greenfield features such as compound tagging in mainline Philomena. Philomena 2 would be for those “if we started from scratch” improvements that are out-of-scope for adoption by any established booru. The only four things that may be worth considering for the Phil2 that I can imagine are
    1. Compound tagging
    2. ActivityPub integration
    3. (possibly) Real-time notifications + DMs
    4. Text uploads (intended for archival of copypasta+greentext, but could hold full fanfictions if you’d like)
  2. The way I see it is that tags are for objective facts about an image while galleries are for the personal tastes of the curator (or curators, if multi-user galleries are implemented). futa Applejack and human Pipp Petals are both objective facts. stupid sexy Fluttershy, adorazipp, and that ass was fat are all opinions better served by galleries. busty Rainbow Dash is somewhere in the middle—there are clear-cut cases where the tag should or should not be used, but there is a non-trivial degree of personal taste involved.
  3. That all said, on second thoughts, human Character and—especially—anthro Character tags are unnecessary. If one character has been humanized, it’s 99% certain that all the others in the image have similarly been humanized.
  4. The above assumption does NOT hold for futa. Just because an image has the futa and AJ tags does not give a substantial certainty that it contains futa AJ—Twilight may be the futa while AJ and Fluttershy are their normal female selves. “busty” is probably also in this category, but I don’t care much about boob tagging beyond “delicious flat crotch” and hiding the “unnaturally large breasts.”
  5. The problems with the current implementation of galleries, beyond only having singular owners, are that they only deliver updates via notifications (not always obvious which images were the new ones added) AND that I do not believe you can subscribe to a gallery in my: watched
The one and only good thing I will say about “that was was fat” is that if an image is tagged “show accurate, that ass was fat, anatomically correct,” one can be guaranteed that it is nowhere near as show-accurate as the taggers thought it was.

A question that should help the conversation instead of getting stuck talking past one another.

What is the purpose of tagging?

Specifically, what is the ranking of importance of the following uses? If there are other common uses I’m forgetting, please add them to your ranking.
  1. Delivering a parade of enjoyable images to my: watched
  2. Removing displeasurable content
  3. Searching: “I think I saw something like that eight years ago. It had a futa AJ and Fluttershy may have had massive knockers”
LightningBolt

Senior Moderator
Undead inside
@PUBLIQclopAccountant
1: I have seen plenty of people whom ONLY tag things like sexy and super niche specific personal tags and never tag anything normal and practical.
2: So what exactly impedes me from saying that?
3: Bat ponies are ponies. Kirins are kirins, they are not ponies. Plane ponies are hybrids, they can be tagged ponies. Ponyta and Rapidash are Pokemon, not ponies. Horse is not a pony.
I await the day my watchlist blacklist actually fucking works without me having to do 90% of the work for it.
Background Pony #7C7A
@LightningBolt
It seems to me that tagging and searching is still hard to learn for people, I assume especially for non-technical people. I believe Derpibooru could use some features that would help people learn. Few random ideas:
  • Featured search/featured tag; just like featured image.
  • Tag suggestions. For example, if an image is tagged “pony, solo” we could ask users which sex/gender does this pony have, with a list of options to pick, like mare, stallion, ambiguous gender, etc. Or if an image is tagged “oc, solo”, we could ask “did you forget ‘oc only’”?
I have seen plenty of people whom ONLY tag things like sexy and super niche specific personal tags and never tag anything normal and practical.
Did you use your mod powers to scold guide them? :P
EDIT:
What tags do people forget that make your blacklist useless? Just so we can ensure we are not among the culprits.
Interested in advertising on Derpibooru? Click here for information!
My Little Ties crafts shop

Help fund the $15 daily operational cost of Derpibooru - support us financially!

Syntax quick reference: **bold** *italic* ||hide text|| `code` __underline__ ~~strike~~ ^sup^ %sub%

Detailed syntax guide