General Tag Discussion

JP
Pixel Perfection - I still call her Lightning Bolt
Silly Pony - Celebrated the 13th anniversary of MLP:FIM, and 40 years of MLP!
Shimmering Smile - Celebrated the 10th anniversary of Equestria Girls!
Solar Guardian - Refused to surrender in the face of the Lunar rebellion and showed utmost loyalty to the Solar Empire (April Fools 2023).
Roseluck - Had their OC in the 2023 Derpibooru Collab.
King Sombra - Celebrated the 10th anniversary of The Crystal Empire!
A Lovely Nightmare Night - Celebrated the 12th anniversary of MLP:FIM!
Princess of Love - Extra special version for those who participated in the Canterlot Wedding 10th anniversary event by contributing art.
Elements of Harmony - Had an OC in the 2022 Community Collab
Non-Fungible Trixie -

I miss the show so much
living the dream should be renamed to fanfic:living the dream. But the catch is, there are images like >>215011 and >>1971953 that are not part of the fanfic. Can it even be renamed without messing up other images, or does it need mass retagging?
A new user started uploading yesterday without properly lurking first, so the fanfic tag was not properly formatted and they took over the tag.
Background Pony #52BA
@TexasUberAlles
So far, modifiers to characters (such as r63 names) don’t get character-categorized.
There’s barbs if someone really needs that word, like there is spikes.
I dunno if “(character)” is what I’d choose to clarify the name of the tag, but yeah in general I’m in favor of putting something extra in the names of tags that happen to also be real words.
🐴
Magnificent Metadata Maniac - #1 Assistant
Solar Guardian - Refused to surrender in the face of the Lunar rebellion and showed utmost loyalty to the Solar Empire (April Fools 2023).
Non-Fungible Trixie -
Magical Inkwell - Wrote MLP fanfiction consisting of at least around 1.5k words, and has a verified link to the platform of their choice

IRL 🎠 stallion
Out of curiosity to find out just how bad the undertagged basic facts are, I went and made a search for pics of Fluttershy that should be tagged pegasus but aren’t.
While that is far too many pages for me to tag them all, I may go through and tag a few pages correctly. That said, is the wing tag appropriate for any image where a pony’s wings are plainly visible from the thumbnail? I’m thinking of using pony, pegasus, mare, wing, yellow coat, pink mane, pink tail as my tagging template on relevant images.
@TexasUberAlles @Background Pony #52BA
IMO, this should be copied over to the Tag Description Suggestions thread so it doesn’t get buried.
TexasUberAlles
Duck - If report count was a score, he'd have the biggest score
Lunar Supporter - Helped forge New Lunar Republic's freedom in the face of the Solar Empire's oppressive tyrannical regime (April Fools 2023).
Flower Trio - Helped others get their OC into the 2023 Derpibooru Collab.
A Lovely Nightmare Night - Celebrated the 12th anniversary of MLP:FIM!
Princess of Love - Extra special version for those who participated in the Canterlot Wedding 10th anniversary event by contributing art.

@LightningBolt
That seems a bit excessive? I thought the standard was to not tag every body part unless it was a central focus of the image, since any image of one smiling Pegasus standing by herself would need pony, pegasus, mare, standing, hooves, eyes, eyes open, looking, awake, head, neck, chest, mane, forelock, crest, tail, barrel, wings, feather, folded wings, rump, cutie mark, legs, quadruped, belly, solo, ears, smiling, teeth, mouth, mouth open, grin, tongue, et cetera, etc., so on, and so forth
Background Pony #52BA
@PUBLIQclopAccountant
Your search example could shave off a few thousand by also factoring in (!eqg || pony) and !race swap
That said, IMO there are more important basic facts to take up people’s effort than coat colors, such as body type, solo/duo/trio and * focus counterparts, and oc only when no canon character is present on non-solo OC images… Not to mention fixing erroneous basic facts like straight, gay, or lesbian tagged when a futa character is involved.
LightningBolt
Umbrella - For Patreon supporters
Lightning Dee - Derpi Supporter
Lunar Hero - Went above and beyond in the name of Lunar freedom, they will be remembered in legends and folklore as paragons of heroism for generations (April Fools 2023).
Flower Trio - Helped others get their OC into the 2023 Derpibooru Collab.
Chaotic Little Trees - 1000+ images under their artist tag

Senior Moderator
Undead inside
@TexasUberAlles
I am not sure why people jump to the game of “WELL IF YOU HAVE A WINGS TAG WHY NOT EYEBALLS” wings are harmless to tag as they convey a lot of emotion and many species have them, same for horns and even tails. They are not required by any means, but having basic tags that collect all the implications for them is extremely helpful and I use them in searches a lot.
I don’t expect people to tag them tho, I want people to tag genders and species more so.
🐴
Magnificent Metadata Maniac - #1 Assistant
Non-Fungible Trixie -
Magical Inkwell - Wrote MLP fanfiction consisting of at least around 1.5k words, and has a verified link to the platform of their choice

IRL 🎠 stallion
@Background Pony #52BA
EqG is already handled by my usual filter, but !race swap is a good addition to the search.
Would straight, gay, and lesbian all be equally incorrect when futa is involved?
It’s much easier to search for “what are all the pictures of Fluttershy where she’s not tagged as a pegasus?” and then mass-tag decently on-model images with a macro than to get a search to uncover solo/duo/trio and their respective focus tags. Is there some way to search for images with exactly two character tags or for images with no character tags?
Background Pony #52BA
Would straight, gay, and lesbian all be equally incorrect when futa is involved?
Only lesbian spells it out in its description, but my understanding is yes. For purposes of tagging on Derpibooru, futa is not male and not female, straight is male x female, gay is male x male, lesbian is female x female, and so those do not involve futa characters. futa on male/male on futa, futa on female/female on futa, and futa on futa are the appropriate tags (with a distinction that those “on” tags are for sexual interactions - I’m not aware of any tags that exist for only romantic relationships involving futa characters, in the way that straight/gay/lesbian also can).
And, pretty much all shipping tags imply a default set of sexes and relationship tags - which I have to assume is on the principle of “people forget them too often, so it’s more important to imply them than have them be 100% never wrong” - so it’s a fairly common error to run into.
It’s much easier to search for “what are all the pictures of Fluttershy where she’s not tagged as a pegasus?” and then mass-tag decently on-model images with a macro
Fair point.
Is there some way to search for images with exactly two character tags or for images with no character tags?
There isn’t. There are to many characters - the server would not respond to a query involving all of them, and there is not currently a way to search for number of specifically-categorized tags.
And, like you indicated, there are a lot of ways it can be hard to tell from the thumbnail. But, I find that it’s easier if approaching it in batches artist-by-artist because you can get a sense of the way they compose content and whether a thumbnail is clear or if it needs a closer look.
Background Pony #52BA
@Shimmering Spectacle
It was already clear. I didn’t say anything about it being unclear, and it makes me think you didn’t actually read what I wrote nor the post I linked if you thought that’s what needed to happen.
Interested in advertising on Derpibooru? Click here for information!
Ministry of Image - Fanfiction Printing

Help fund the $15 daily operational cost of Derpibooru - support us financially!

Syntax quick reference: **bold** *italic* ||hide text|| `code` __underline__ ~~strike~~ ^sup^ %sub%

Detailed syntax guide