2024 Community Collab - we're pleased to announce yet another iteration of our annual collaborative mega-picture! Click here to check it out!

General Tag Discussion

Background Pony #52BA
Is there a tag for the MLP:FiM intro theme song? I’m only finding theme song which has the description “Images based on any theme song” (ie. not MLP-specific), opening theme (no description and also not specific), and mlp theme song which is tagged only 4 times so that can’t be it.
SexyGoatGod
Razzmatazz Gleam - Lyra Simp - The ol Razzle Dazzle
Lyra - For supporting the site
Solar Supporter - Fought against the New Lunar Republic rebellion on the side of the Solar Deity (April Fools 2023).
Roseluck - Had their OC in the 2023 Derpibooru Collab.
Princess of Love - Extra special version for those who participated in the Canterlot Wedding 10th anniversary event by contributing art.
Happy Derpy! - For site supporters
Gold Supporter - Gold Supporter
Non-Fungible Trixie -
A Really Classy Artist - 250+ images under their artist tag
An Artist Who Rocks - 100+ images under their artist tag

Apathetic Asshole
Censoring this because the tag is currently deemed as explicit
Not sure if this would go here or it’s own thread, but I’d be interested in bringing up the possibility of the futa tag being able to be used on safe images.
The “safe, futa” search group already has a couple hundred entries, last I checked, and other sex/gender tags seem to be fine to be used with safe images like transgender, female, male, etc. Unsure about intersex or herm. The male tag can be used with the safe tag even if the image lacks an allude to the character having a penis like a bulge or sheath.
Since people can simply search “explicit, futa” or “futa, -safe” I don’t think it’d effect how easily people could find explicit art of this particular sex or a reason to keep it exclusive to explicit entries. It also leaves some tag gap where a futa character in a safe piece would have no sex/gender tag, and thus people could incorrectly add the female tag, for example.
Hopefully I worded that all right (and censored right) I’m not too knowledgeable about forums or tags.
Background Pony #52BA
@SexyGoatGod
I don’t understand your question or its premise. Where do you see anything that indicates “futa” is considered “explicit”? There’s nothing about that in the tag description, and like you pointed out, it’s already present on a few hundred “safe” images.
SexyGoatGod
Solar Supporter - Fought against the New Lunar Republic rebellion on the side of the Solar Deity (April Fools 2023).
Princess of Love - Extra special version for those who participated in the Canterlot Wedding 10th anniversary event by contributing art.
Non-Fungible Trixie -

Apathetic Asshole
@Background Pony #52BA
When I’ve asked the mods both times I was told that futa was historically used only when the characters genitals were visible or referred to (like a sheath), then pointed to come here or the discord to discuss it with the tag mods.
It isn’t in the tag description, no, and there are examples, yes, but it seems to be a rule upheld when brought up, as other users and mods have removed the tag from sfw pieces.
Ciaran
ラ・ゼッタ - For supporting the site
Silly Pony - Celebrated the 13th anniversary of MLP:FIM, and 40 years of MLP!
Shimmering Smile - Celebrated the 10th anniversary of Equestria Girls!
Lunar Guardian - Earned a place among the ranks of the most loyal New Lunar Republic soldiers (April Fools 2023).
Crystal Roseluck - Had their OC in the 2023 Derpibooru Collab.
Flower Trio - Helped others get their OC into the 2023 Derpibooru Collab.
A Lovely Nightmare Night - Celebrated the 12th anniversary of MLP:FIM!
Tree of Harmony - Drew someone's OC for the 2022 Community Collab
Elements of Harmony - Had an OC in the 2022 Community Collab

Senior Moderator
友情は魔法だ
Well, just at a glance (and acknowledging that we’re tagging the information in the image - not of the characters - so things like gender are not usually tagged) the description includes penis and if you can’t see the penis then what’s penis about the image?
It’s like tagging a safe image lesbian gay or straight when it’s just a drawing of a single character standing there, and nothing lesbian gay or straight is happening in the image, or tagging anus because we know a character must have one of those even if it can’t be seen.
But, that’s just me looking at it for a couple of seconds, so I’m going to assume I’m missing something about this that makes searching or hiding images easier and more reliable if there was a futa-safe-for-work or something like that.
SexyGoatGod
Non-Fungible Trixie -

Apathetic Asshole
@Ciaran
I can totally see where you’re coming from, but I’m seeing it in a different perspective myself.
For example, there are over 64,000 images in the “safe, lesbian” grouping and 295,000 images in the “male, safe” grouping, so I don’t really see a point in not allowing “futa, safe.
If a character is a female they can be tagged as a female no matter what, I just feel it wouldn’t really do any harm in allowing that for futa or herm as well.
Ciaran
Lunar Guardian - Earned a place among the ranks of the most loyal New Lunar Republic soldiers (April Fools 2023).

Senior Moderator
友情は魔法だ
For example, there are over 64,000 images
Well, in those instances its girls kissing girls, or boys kissing boys, or boys kissing girls kissing girls kissing boys kissing girls. And if we don’t tag those as “Lesbian” or “Gay” or “Bisexual” or “Ponyamourous”, then people can’t find them, or filter them.
I don’t really see a point in not allowing “futa, safe.
Describe please what I would see if I searched for an image with futa,safe that would be futa about the image - other than knowing something about the interior of a character’s pants?
For example, in this image, what makes this an image people want to see if they are searching for futa characters?
If it helps to understand what I’m asking, try thinking of it in the negative:

What would the artist have to change that would make this image not futa?

Because if it wasn’t tagged as futa, and didn’t say it was futa in the description, for me it is indistinguishable from any other EQG drawing of lesbian or straight or bisexual or nonbinary Rainbow Dash.
Because what’s in their pants isn’t what we’re tagging on this safe image.
SexyGoatGod
Non-Fungible Trixie -

Apathetic Asshole
@Ciaran
Aah, alright, that makes a bit more sense, thank you for wording it in the reverse.
I’m not too knowledgeable on these tag things, my apologies, I haven’t the slightest clue about the back ends of these things.
I suppose people like me would simply be looking for content of futa characters in general, sfw or nsfw, like how we can do the same with male or female characters.
A male character does not need their penis implied, and if there is a surly, large female to my knowledge she can still be tagged as female even if every aspect points to male aside from her genitals. (albeit most likely with something like a “tomboy” or something tag, lol)
One way or another, I don’t know a lick about how tags work past the little I can use them, so I can’t say much past what I’ve seen with other tags or what other users would be looking for when they search.
Would leaving the gender tags blank or mentioning in the description that the character is a futa be applicable, or are we supposed to apply the female tag even if the character isn’t one, but merely looks like one?
(Thank you again for explaining things to me and your time btw, I’m just curious on the subject)
Background Pony #52BA
Describe please what I would see if I searched for an image with futa,safe that would be futa about the image - other than knowing something about the interior of a character’s pants?
For example, in this image, what makes this an image people want to see if they are searching for futa characters?
>>3155346
If it helps to understand what I’m asking, try thinking of it in the negative:

What would the artist have to change that would make this image not futa?

Because if it wasn’t tagged as futa, and didn’t say it was futa in the description, for me it is indistinguishable from any other EQG drawing of lesbian or straight or bisexual or nonbinary Rainbow Dash.
Because what’s in their pants isn’t what we’re tagging on this safe image.
Well, in that particular example, it literally is what’s in their pants being tagged - a slight crotch bulge, non-prominent enough to remain safe (citation here), and identifiably different from >>3155300 which is the female alternate version of that drawing.

I do wonder, though, if a character (an OC) is designed to be a futa, and an image happens to be a waist-up, should they not still be tagged with “futa”? After all, as far as I know, we don’t avoid tagging “pegasus” on an image of Fluttershy just because it’s cropped to only show her head (no way to tell if she has wings).
SexyGoatGod
Non-Fungible Trixie -

Apathetic Asshole
@Background Pony #52BA
Same with femboys, they can be tagged male and safe even if every visual indicator is female, simply because we’re tagging the character’s info and non-visible genitals. (usually hidden behind dresses)
For context on my curiosity, this is the image where the tags were removed, which is a bust where I could not include her bulge: https://derpibooru.org/images/3201616?q=uploader_id%3A277563
Ciaran

Senior Moderator
友情は魔法だ
@SexyGoatGod
Honestly, I don’t know.
I mean, even without bringing gender identity into it, I can see historically WHY images were tagged mare and “stallion”, and how those became female and male when EQG arrived, and how that got twisty when OCs were neither or combinations of both, and ramped up even harder when Big Mac was both in an actual canonical episode.
I’m LGBTQ enough myself that I’d like there to be a happy solution to all of this, but there’s also a legacy of how things are done here that have to be taken into account and respected.
Personally, I’m more comfortable with how FurBooru handles these tag, but even then it’s more about actions in the image than identity.
And I don’t know how that approach to tagging would fly here on this site (aside from the examples of past attempts to change all of this) or even how to open that conversation without spending a few weeks or even months reading back through the history of the discussions of these tags, and tags that depend on them that have happened here in the past.
For me, we are where we are with tagging on this site because it worked and made it possible to reach this point. And where we are is pretty functional, even if not everyone likes it.
So, whatever happens, we should at least do no harm.
And, for me, that starts with not removing the intersex tag(s) off of safe images without a lot of thoughtful discussion with the tagging wonks here.
Seriously - I don’t remove those kinds of tags without clearing it with at least one of our senior tagging folks. Because those tags can really cause drama when done wrong.
And just as images like this are safe,solo, and also lesbian because there’s a pride flag, maybe there’s perfectly good reasons for people tagging an image safe, futa (even though I don’t see it myself).
But, another caveat that hasn’t been mentioned is that futa is considered by many, myself included, to be a offensive gender slur, and while in general on this site where tagging is concerned I understand it is not meant as such in practical use - I really am not a fan of making any changes that would make futa a preferred tag over a tag like intersex.
And, yes, I know of futa’s origin as ふたなり - but that word is from a culture in which it is extremely common for deities to not have a fixed or determinable gender, and androgynous Bodhisattva are not only normal, but canon, and in which the term is almost never derogatory and can even be very respectful and sacred.
But, as a part of its move to American use, it lost the sense of androgyny, and now is often used as a less offensive form of “Dick girl” or “trap” - and far too often as an intentionally offensive term to tag transexuals.
So, for me, futa is not a tag that I’m interested in helping to make more official in any form.
So … yeah. There’s some legacy and weight to the current state of the futa tag.
If you’d like to read more about the history of this discussion on this site, some examples of the previous discussions of these tags are here from this year, as well as this thread from 8 years ago, and here from 10 years ago.
And, that’s just the highlights. There’s lots more if you search at the subject level.
So, I’m fine with the tag as it stands on this site, given its history. But would love to see a better solution.
But on this site, I believe that accomplishing what you’re talking about would necessitate adding the concept of tagging gender identity, independent of visual facts of an image such as acts or explicit information about what’s in the character’s pants.
And that is … fraught. I am not sure even a wall of text would scratch what I think and feel about doing that.
SexyGoatGod
Non-Fungible Trixie -

Apathetic Asshole
@Ciaran
Ahahah, sometimes things really do boil down to “I don’t know, it just works this way” and that’s fine.
I’m also in the LGBTQ+ sphere myself which is why my main characters end up in the herm tags and thus automatically the futa tag too.
You actually gave me a very good answer “some people view futa as a slur, but you can use intersex”. This said, I should be fine to tag my characters as intersex even in sfw images, right? I was under the impression that since futa (and herm for that matter) automatically applied the intersex tag, and since the “safe, intersex” search group was so small, that it ALSO was a nsfw only term. (Hense my confusion)
And in the same vein, is herm considered a sfw/nsfw or solely nsfw tag? I didn’t see any reference to it’s status in the description (though futa isn’t listed as nsfw only like “solo female” is either), just that the futa and intersex tags are automatically applied.
SexyGoatGod
Non-Fungible Trixie -

Apathetic Asshole
@Background Pony #52BA
I was told futa could also be represented by a simple symbol though if I wanted to use it in tandem with the safe tag (same with drawing a shealth), and the futa tag does not list being nsfw-only anywhere in the description, so I’m just getting clear mod yes/no on it.
I suppose my wording on my question is where the confusion came from: is herm and intersex also a tag that NEEDS genitals and/or a symbol visibly present in order to be applied like futa is, or can it be applied to a sfw character in general like the male/female tags.
Litrojia
Cottonwood Kindle - For supporting the site
Solar Guardian - Refused to surrender in the face of the Lunar rebellion and showed utmost loyalty to the Solar Empire (April Fools 2023).
Tree of Harmony -
Non-Fungible Trixie -
Artistic Detective - For hunting down artist when their names have changed
Bronze Supporter - Bronze Supporter
Verified Pegasus - Show us your gorgeous wings!
Preenhub - We all know what you were up to this evening~

ship is split between images of shipping and big boats (and shipping on big boats!), so having that sorted through and clarified would be nice.
IMO, having it refer to boats (perhaps with an implication to boat) feels more useful than making it an alias of shipping, and seems to be the predominant use anyway. Folks would probably mistag it regardless though, and I feel like irregular uploaders who don’t understand tagging would more likely mistag shipping as “ship” than boats as “ship”.
saby
King Sombra - Celebrated the 10th anniversary of The Crystal Empire!
A Perfectly Normal Pony - Red is Sprout, yellow is Hitch, you are a lout, and also a bitch.
Speaking Fancy - Badge given to members that help with translations
Non-Fungible Trixie -
Kinship Through Differences - Celebrated the 11th anniversary of MLP:FIM!

extra fun at parties
@Litrojia
Wow, I’m not qualified to do that cleanup. Every twentieth image or so my brain raises a big salty stink about how “that’s no ship that’s a crummy brown-water catboat”.
In any way, having “ship” encompass all sizes of water-faring vessels from canoes and gondolas to yachts and full-riggers, as well as airships and spaceships seems… off to me.
Litrojia
Cottonwood Kindle - For supporting the site
Solar Guardian - Refused to surrender in the face of the Lunar rebellion and showed utmost loyalty to the Solar Empire (April Fools 2023).
Tree of Harmony -
Non-Fungible Trixie -
Artistic Detective - For hunting down artist when their names have changed
Bronze Supporter - Bronze Supporter
Verified Pegasus - Show us your gorgeous wings!
Preenhub - We all know what you were up to this evening~

@saby
The tag probably doesn’t need a hard definition of “this is what qualifies as a ship”. Few would debate calling pirate ships, warships, and cruise ships “ships” while canoes and small sailboats aren’t. I don’t think there’s a whole lot of vessels on this site that fall in between. Also, I don’t see many airships and spaceships under that tag, so I’m not really worried about that.
Something I realized though is that “ship” turns up a lot of images where only a small part of the ship is in focus, like a character on the deck or even inside, to the point that it may not be helpful to have ship imply boat like I suggested before. Also I’m not sure if everybody would even say that ships are boats anyway so… yeah forget that idea about implications.
The alternative IMO, if the site aliased “ship” to “shipping”, is that you’d either have to make another general tag for ships (idk, “ship (vessel)”) or make sure different kinds of ships are consistently tagged (for example, beefing up sailing ship and making an alternative to cargo ship). So you’d need new tags, and people would still mistag anyway, so I wouldn’t advise doing that.
Background Pony #7C7A
@Panko Pai
I think its description makes it clear - when the character has absolutely no clothes on them. If they have some clothes on, you would use some other tag, like “socks only”, or “partial nudity”.

Is this image “solo” because it’s three poses of Fluttershy, or is it “trio” because it’s three different Fluttershy recolors?
Background Pony #52BA
Is this image “solo” because it’s three poses of Fluttershy, or is it “trio” because it’s three different Fluttershy recolors?
From my perspective, this is a case where I might not give it either tag, because it’s not quite clear if it’s supposed to be three separate illustrations of Fluttershy arranged to make one picture (which I’d tag “solo”), or three clones of Fluttershy all simultaneously present (which I’d tag “trio”).
Interested in advertising on Derpibooru? Click here for information!
Sky Railroad Merch Shop!

Help fund the $15 daily operational cost of Derpibooru - support us financially!

Syntax quick reference: **bold** *italic* ||hide text|| `code` __underline__ ~~strike~~ ^sup^ %sub%

Detailed syntax guide