General Tag Discussion

Background Pony #5A5A
@mjangelvortex  
They’re unnecessary, mostly. Think hard, why would you need to know if any of those things are in an image? Mostly when they’re the focus, right, like the only thing in the picture.
LightningBolt
Umbrella - For Patreon supporters
Lightning Dee - Derpi Supporter
Silly Pony - Celebrated the 13th anniversary of MLP:FIM, and 40 years of MLP!
Shimmering Smile - Celebrated the 10th anniversary of Equestria Girls!
Lunar Hero - Went above and beyond in the name of Lunar freedom, they will be remembered in legends and folklore as paragons of heroism for generations (April Fools 2023).
Flower Trio - Helped others get their OC into the 2023 Derpibooru Collab.
Roseluck - Had their OC in the 2023 Derpibooru Collab.
Chaotic Little Trees - 1000+ images under their artist tag
King Sombra - Celebrated the 10th anniversary of The Crystal Empire!
A Lovely Nightmare Night - Celebrated the 12th anniversary of MLP:FIM!

Senior Moderator
Undead inside
@Background Pony #D326  
Not really. I mean, why do people get so upset over tagging an objective thing.

Like, if you don’t enjoy it, then fine. No one is telling you to do it.

But acting like they should go away or that it’s somehow an admin issue is rather extreme and personal.

I mean if you things ‘wings’ is worthy of calling admins on then the issue maybe it’s the tag.

I’m gonna keep tagging wings and horn in images where the characters has wings or a horn. If that upsets you then maybe you shouldn’t read the tags.
LightningBolt
Lunar Hero - Went above and beyond in the name of Lunar freedom, they will be remembered in legends and folklore as paragons of heroism for generations (April Fools 2023).

Senior Moderator
Undead inside
@mjangelvortex  
No please don’t. That’s a stupid argument.

Years and years ago people kept calling pony and unicorn and female redundant and useless tags.

And now look where we are.
LightningBolt

Senior Moderator
Undead inside
@mjangelvortex  
Correct. In the beginning, Safe wasn’t even a tag, it was implied by the absence of a rating. Things change over time, and if the biggest issue someone has with an objective tag is “i don’t wanna use it” then they can just, not use it.
Zeb
Praise the Sun! - Derpi Supporter
My Little Pony - 1992 Edition
Friendship, Art, and Magic (2019) - Celebrated Derpibooru's seventh year anniversary with friends.
Economist -
Notoriously Divine Tagger - Consistently uploads images above and beyond the minimum tag requirements. And/or additionally, bringing over the original description from the source if the image has one. Does NOT apply to the uploader adding several to a dozen tags after originally uploading with minimum to bare tagging.
Perfect Pony Plot Provider - Uploader of 10+ images with 350 upvotes or more (Questionable/Explicit)
Equality - In our state, we do not stand out.
Friendship, Art, and Magic (2018) - Celebrated Derpibooru's six year anniversary with friends.
Cool Crow - "Caw!" An awesome tagger
Birthday Cake - Celebrated MLP's 7th birthday

Tag-Bot
unless it’s extreme

If litterally over 65% of the site in order to account for less than 3% of it isn’t “extreme” then what WOULD you consider extreme?
LightningBolt

Senior Moderator
Undead inside
@Zeb  
No. Because I literally meant tagging things like ‘eyes’ or ‘ears’ or every single body part in an image. I don’t need to tag Rainbow Dash’s left nostril in an image where it is visible, but tagging her wings is fine because they don’t always appear, are unique enough to not be in every image on the site, and can be useful for looking for just images with wings in them.

I know I often look up specific objective things like that. That is not useless, and at worst they are harmless.

Like I don’t get the whole argument of “well it would have to be tagged too much so why tag it at all” like, so? Gotta start somewhere. You don’t wanna tag them, fine, no one is making you. There is not a rule for or against them.
Background Pony #5A5A
@LightningBolt  
Spread wing, large wings, small wings, butt wings, missing wing, wingless, prosthetic wing, magic wings. These are all useful pieces of information that better define a picture, make them memorable and can help a search for them later. The mere presence of wings? Not to much, they’re in nearly every image a pegasus, griffon, hippogriff or dragon appears in. The only useful purpose of the wings tag at present is making those tags that imply it more readily available if one is trying to find them.
LightningBolt

Senior Moderator
Undead inside
The only useful purpose of the wings tag at present is making those tags that imply it more readily available if one is trying to find them.

Wow it’s like it’s not useless at all then.

Anyway, all this arguing should move into it’s own thread if it to continue so as to stop clogging up this one.
cheezedoodle
Roll for Initiative - For Patreon supporters
The Power of Love - Given to a publicly verified artist with an image under their artist’s tag that has reached 1000 upvotes
Princess of Love - Extra special version for those who participated in the Canterlot Wedding 10th anniversary event by contributing art.
Non-Fungible Trixie -
Thread Starter - OC Tag Description Requests
Friendship, Art, and Magic (2020) - Took part in the 2020 Community Collab
The Magic of Friendship Grows - For helping others attend the 2020 Community Collab
Dream Come True! - Participated in the MLP 9th Anniversary Event
Silver Bit -

TagZombie: AC15, Atk +8
@cheezedoodle
Not it’s not. Get over yourself. They literally hurt no one.
There is zero rules against ‘redundant’ tagging unless it’s extreme. There is nothing extreme about this or ‘wings’.
If you see an image tagged ‘wings’ and get thrown into a violent rage, then the issue is you.

We have banned people for overtagging.
Frustration in Excelsis
Notoriously Divine Tagger - Consistently uploads images above and beyond the minimum tag requirements. And/or additionally, bringing over the original description from the source if the image has one. Does NOT apply to the uploader adding several to a dozen tags after originally uploading with minimum to bare tagging.
Artist -
Cool Crow - "Caw!" An awesome tagger
Magnificent Metadata Maniac -

Worldbuilding Addict
Sorry for only picking this up now, but I was at work or asleep for most of today.  
@cheezedoodle  
Some pokemon characters imply Pokemon, for example. I’d say if it’s on a hundred or more pics, that’s when to start considering an implication for another series.

I’m not sure if pokémon is the best example of this specific standard, because to my knowledge the significant majority Pokémon tags on this site imply pokémon, and the bulk of them have single-digit image counts.

@Zeb  
If you think it’s fine to just put this here, I could just sort the tags I’ve been thinking of by image count and leave the rest up to the mods? There are. Um. A fair few of them.
Background Pony #6D10
Question about this NSFW pic:  
>>2099360  
||  
Technically it shows a bit of Applejack’s and Sunset’s pussy, but so blurry that it doesn’t precisely fit the definition of explicit  
“Genitals (penises, vaginas/vulvas, balls, etc.) including any detailed visuals of them”  
So I went with questionable and didn’t add the appropriate genital tags. Or should it be explicit and have the tags, even if it’s just a small pixelated area?  
||
Rainboom Dash
Princess of Love - Extra special version for those who participated in the Canterlot Wedding 10th anniversary event by contributing art.
Non-Fungible Trixie -
Kinship Through Differences - Celebrated the 11th anniversary of MLP:FIM!
Preenhub - We all know what you were up to this evening~
Ten years of changes - Celebrated the 10th anniversary of MLP:FiM!

Rainbooms4Ever
@Rainboom Dash  
Oh someone saw the 69% damage indicator and…

Yeaaaah.. that doesn’t mean to add the tag.. pfft..  
I honestly can’t tell what’s going on in the image which is why I said all tags should be checked just to make sure everything is correct

Edit: oh wait, 69 is an alias of 69 position… Still don’t need a useless 69 tag cause of 69% damage
Background Pony #6D10
@Background Pony #A8E1  
No, on cloud does not necessarily mean they are SITTING on the cloud. They could also be doing nsfw stuff on it or anything else

sitting on cloud should maybe imply on cloud, though
Litrojia
Cottonwood Kindle - For supporting the site
Solar Guardian - Refused to surrender in the face of the Lunar rebellion and showed utmost loyalty to the Solar Empire (April Fools 2023).
Tree of Harmony -
Elements of Harmony - Had an OC in the 2022 Community Collab
Non-Fungible Trixie -
Artistic Detective - For hunting down artist when their names have changed
Happy Derpy! - For site supporters
Bronze Supporter - Bronze Supporter
Verified Pegasus - Show us your gorgeous wings!
Preenhub - We all know what you were up to this evening~

The feral tag is a mess right now. It’s a mix of two definitions, non-sapient and non-anthro, the latter of which probably doesn’t need a tag unless we want to tag nearly every FIM character as feral.
Barhandar
Perfect Pony Plot Provider - Uploader of 10+ images with 350 upvotes or more (Questionable/Explicit)
Friendship, Art, and Magic (2020) - Took part in the 2020 Community Collab
The Magic of Friendship Grows - For helping others attend the 2020 Community Collab
Dream Come True! - Participated in the MLP 9th Anniversary Event
Toola Roola - For helping others attend the 2019 Community Collab
Wallet After Summer Sale -
Friendship, Art, and Magic (2019) - Celebrated Derpibooru's seventh year anniversary with friends
A Tale For The Ages - Celebrated MLP's 35th Anniversary and FiM's 8th Anniversary
Friendship, Art, and Magic (2018) - Celebrated Derpibooru's six year anniversary with friends.
Helpful Owl - Drew someone's OC for the 2018 Community Collab

(twi|pony)booru.org
@Litrojia  
It’s always a mess because some idiot in furries applied “feral” to “base non-humanoid form” instead of “A WILD ANIMAL” long ago and people keep using that. Either way, on Derpi it means the latter - that is, “wild animal”.
Damaged
Non-Fungible Trixie -
Fine Arts - Two hundred uploads with a score of over a hundred (Safe/Suggestive)
Magnificent Metadata Maniac -
Wallet After Summer Sale -
Equality - In our state, we do not stand out.
Magical Inkwell - Wrote MLP fanfiction consisting of at least around 1.5k words, and has a verified link to the platform of their choice
Not a Llama - Happy April Fools Day!
Happy Derpy! - For Patreon supporters

Word Bug
The latest design of Fluttershy is turning into a little bit of a mess.

Should these be tagged metalshy or flutterpunk? From the video, I got the impression it was a death metal band she was going to see, but people seem to be insistent about tagging this new style with a punk tag. The vibe I’m getting is that people just don’t know what a punk look is.

EDIT: Oh, and add usual rant about people tagging safe images with breasts and girls with C cups as busty*.
Interested in advertising on Derpibooru? Click here for information!
Ponies Online! - April 13-14

Help fund the $15 daily operational cost of Derpibooru - support us financially!

Syntax quick reference: **bold** *italic* ||hide text|| `code` __underline__ ~~strike~~ ^sup^ %sub%

Detailed syntax guide